PDA

View Full Version : Lap times when racing?

Santa2515
27-06-2015, 15:55
I can understand the requirement for a lap time when qualifying,

But why? when racing do you constantly get nag messages saying you lap time is invalid if you stray off track, or have a colisions with another driver?

You dont see F1 drivers getting told your lap time is invalid if they have an off during a race. The time posted at the end of the race is the time it took (with any stop - go penaltys added etc.)

Yes its good to see if your improving, but all you need to do is put an exclamation mark or asterisk next to the lap time to show its invalid.

We can work out why, we dont need a nag message to tell us the obvious.

And why is a penalty added for an off, it may not be your fault, but you get told this and the next lap time is invalid, either you took avoiding action for a collision, or genuinly went off ??

Mart

Mr.Smoke
28-06-2015, 14:18
Penalties are there to avoid drivers cutting corners to gain advantages. The game sometimes has trouble distinguishing when a penalty should be issued or not though. You can turn penalties & flags off, but this is a sim after all.

The next lap time being invalid is there so you cant cut a corner near the end of the course to carry higher speed through the finish line & set an unfair lap next time round the course. Both systems are there to serve a purpose, but could use some tweaking & refining IMO.

jackd94
28-06-2015, 14:46
Penalties are there to avoid drivers cutting corners to gain advantages. The game sometimes has trouble distinguishing when a penalty should be issued or not though. You can turn penalties & flags off, but this is a sim after all.

The next lap time being invalid is there so you cant cut a corner near the end of the course to carry higher speed through the finish line & set an unfair lap next time round the course. Both systems are there to serve a purpose, but could use some tweaking & refining IMO.

Some of those next lap invalidated things are insanely stupid. Take for instance the start of the porche curves,like nearly 2km and quite a few braking zones and you can still invalidate your next lap even though going of at the start of the porche curves won't affect your next lap at all.

Mr.Smoke
28-06-2015, 14:57
Im not saying they all make sense or work as intended, im just saying they are implemented for a reason. I think its based on a percentage of track length remaining. Hence why longer tracks like le mans you can invalidate the next lap a lot further from the finish.

jsydave
28-06-2015, 14:59
I can understand the requirement for a lap time when qualifying,

But why? when racing do you constantly get nag messages saying you lap time is invalid if you stray off track, or have a colisions with another driver?Because some series pay points for fastest laps in the race, the same rules as qualifying need to apply.

Goresh
28-06-2015, 15:17
I wish it was possible to at least turn off the pop up, give me the penalty but no need to inform me every time.

ParkerNl86
28-06-2015, 15:56
I agree. I think the penalties should stay. But the penalty for the next lap should only be there for the last corner or two. The option with the explenation mark is a good one.