PDA

View Full Version : Camera and FOV settings

speedmeister
27-06-2015, 16:35
Hi,

I'm trying to find the best settings to give the most sense of speed in all views, and while I have somewhat achieved that (keeping FOV at 95 or higher), I feel the outside "first person" cams don't move enough to give a believable sense of movement and inertia.

For example, the bumper cam, which has been a favorite of mine since the original NFS, barely moves to give a sense of what the tires and suspension are doing. Going fast around tight bends, it doesn't lean as much as it should, picking up speed or slowing down, there's practically no dip or rise in the cam.

Another example: in every first person view, you see the car moving and working on its suspension but it's as if the driver's eyes are detached from that movement. In a road car, you should be seeing a lot of cam movement in the bumper view while taking corners or accelerating/braking aggressively.

The horizon barely shifts, it's as if your car is a tram on rails. That's the only way I can explain it.

So how do I get the outside first person views to give a better sense of movement? I've tried experimenting with all settings, first using the default values and then moving to opposite extremes.

So, I'd like help with:

A. Maximize sense of speed
B. See the horizon moving to relay to the player what the suspension is doing in the hood, bumper and roof view.

Just to give you one more example: when you're using the hood or roof view, upon cornering/braking/acceleration, you ONLY see the car moving as if the camera's not attached to it and just hovering an inch over it. Hope that makes sense.

If this is how the cam movement works in the game, can we have an update where it feels the camera is actually attached to the car and moving with it to relay g forces and inertia?

Thanks for reading. I look forward to your thoughts. :)

speedmeister
28-06-2015, 06:03
How about some feedback here, eh fellas?

tclancey
28-06-2015, 11:35
I agree with you speedmeister, there isn't enough movement in these cameras, and a lack of general buffeting.

speedmeister
28-06-2015, 15:15
I agree with you speedmeister, there isn't enough movement in these cameras, and a lack of general buffeting.

Buffeting, what's that?

Yeah, I've tried and tried to enjoy the game, but the frame inconsistencies, lack of any real sense of speed, and inadequate cam movement have really put me off.

The engine sounds are good on only a handful of cars. Brilliant track roster though, needs a more balanced car variety and list. I'm on X1 by the way, not PC as it says on my profile (no way of changing that, what am I missing?)

On X1 at least, the visuals are bland and downright ugly in some parts of the game; seems like they didn't even try to optimize it for the X1. Countersteering is another thing that's superannoying in this game.

I don't have track experience, but I've pushed enough high-powered cars over the years to know PCARS attempts to simulate racing, it is not an actual simulator.

Forza 5 has it nailed better when it comes to physics.

Sorry for the rant. Just regret throwing away $60 on this game.

Jesup16
28-06-2015, 15:37
Try this site: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

I had my FOV all wrong before...I was able to turn faster and more consistent laps after playing around with the FOV's based on this sites recommendations.

I do have track experience and I can tell you the physics engine behind this game is light years ahead of F5. This game still has it's bugs, but F5 didn't exactly hit a home run out of the box, neither did F4 on Xbox 360 (remember the multi-player lobby crash issues, etc), or any other racing "sim" game. 2.0 Patch should help with a lot of issues. Give these guys some time to sort it out, I'm confident they'll get it right.

speedmeister
29-06-2015, 04:47
Try this site: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

I had my FOV all wrong before...I was able to turn faster and more consistent laps after playing around with the FOV's based on this sites recommendations.

I do have track experience and I can tell you the physics engine behind this game is light years ahead of F5. This game still has it's bugs, but F5 didn't exactly hit a home run out of the box, neither did F4 on Xbox 360 (remember the multi-player lobby crash issues, etc), or any other racing "sim" game. 2.0 Patch should help with a lot of issues. Give these guys some time to sort it out, I'm confident they'll get it right.

I hope they do get it right, along with the abysmal X1 visuals - tearing, textures turning on/off, pop ups, ugly shadows and filters.. you get the idea.

Sheer disappointment how little time they spent refining this for consoles. 4 years + delays. I'm thinking deadlines had little to do with it.

As for FOV, I've set cockpit to around 85 or 90 I think. Outside views around 95. I know they're off the chart. But anything below 85 doesn't relay much speed. The game's sense of speed isn't exhilarating at all. The cam options should have come with more self-descriptive text.

flymar
29-06-2015, 06:11
Maybe you'll find it useful.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22376-Speed-Sensitive-FOV