PDA

View Full Version : road reflections/mirroring?

Boomshalockboom
29-06-2015, 11:12
I love this game, it looks awesome! But i'm missing something. The temperature is raising here in my country and when i drive in my real car i can see the road reflection / mirroring in the sky, just above the road surface. Hard to explain, sometimes it looks like the road is wet. I hope you guys know what i'm talking about.

I have never seen that sepcific effect in project cars. am i missing something? is it because the time of day? i mostly drive on the nordschleife, watkins glen, brands hatch, imola and monza. Graphic settings most on high/ultra, but maube i missed a setting. Or is it just not in this game?

Would be awesome to have this reflections in game to. sure it might look like artifacting ore something like that, but i can see it IRL, so why not in this game :)

Greets!

danowat
29-06-2015, 11:14
It's called a Mirage.

Boomshalockboom
29-06-2015, 11:22
It's called a Mirage.

Yes! that :)

so any chance on seeing mirages in game?

danowat
29-06-2015, 11:26
You know what, I don't think such a thing has ever been simulated in a game before!.

Kelderek
29-06-2015, 11:54
Having a mirage appear naturally in a game requires it to have an accurate atmosphere model... You can have that in high end rendering engines, but it requires massive computing power since you need to simulate how light travels through and interacts with the atmosphere. Not sure it's technically feasible if we want to keep a decent frame rate.
(When I render accurate atmospheric models in software like Vue Studio or LuxRender, we're talking about hours for a single frame... ;) )

I'm sure there are several ways to fake it so it doesn't require 100% accurate physical rendering, but I would think it's better to use the computing power in our machines to accurately simulate car behavior rather than mirages! :D

flymar
29-06-2015, 12:22
I love this game, it looks awesome! But i'm missing something. The temperature is raising here in my country and when i drive in my real car i can see the road reflection / mirroring in the sky, just above the road surface. Hard to explain, sometimes it looks like the road is wet. I hope you guys know what i'm talking about.

I have never seen that sepcific effect in project cars. am i missing something? is it because the time of day? i mostly drive on the nordschleife, watkins glen, brands hatch, imola and monza. Graphic settings most on high/ultra, but maube i missed a setting. Or is it just not in this game?

Would be awesome to have this reflections in game to. sure it might look like artifacting ore something like that, but i can see it IRL, so why not in this game :)

Greets!
Not in pCARS1 and I doubt it will be in pCARS2. I think this kind of effect is very tricky to be done right and look real. But... who knows, if devs will have te time and there won't be more pressured issues. And there always are:/

Boomshalockboom
29-06-2015, 12:30
i can always overclock the h*ll out of my gpu's. that way i will get artifacts to simulate those mirages :D

Bealdor
29-06-2015, 12:32
i can always overclock the h*ll out of my gpu's. that way i will get artifacts to simulate those mirages :D

"Liked" for creativity, LOL.

polyneutron
09-03-2016, 05:27
Actually the opening trailer of the game has the mirage effect, but I don't know for sure whether it's an in-game engine feature, or simply some "3rd-party shader(s)" kinda stuff, like Reshade + MasterEffect Reborn shaders or something.

The same can be said about some close ups from the release trailer where there's advanced DOF (*which looks more natural, more like a real bokeh and much less like current "gauss-like" DOF), and chromatic aberrations shown in footage most likely shot via replay (while currently players are able to have both DOF and CA only in the Photomode). Although DOF looks more advanced, and could be possibly injected via shaders I tend to think that CA still could be an in-game effect, since it looks a lot like the one from the Photomode.

UPD: *just some thoughts*
The thing I do not understand, is why (or how) devs don't seem/ aren't willing to share the tools -- like freecam in the Photomode, or above-mentioned advanced DOF and CA (Photomode features in replays and Ctrl-K "freecamera mode"), -- in a Community-Assisted game, right? I'm not saying devs should do so, since they probably know it better, but it's more like a matter of "generosity". Sure, they're free to do things the way they find appropriate, but if tools like these (*i.e. tools I've mentioned before) won't harm the game or the players, why not share them?

UPD2: *yup, another edit*
Well, technically the Photomode appears to work with realtime replays (when one hit the specific icon during the replay), but then replay camera switches to static camera without any movement at all, and it's not even chasing cam, it's just "standing" on a certain point of the track. Of course, one can apply filters and adjust exposure and stuff, but still it's not what we used to see in official trailers which are definitely in-game, unlike other modern games' CGI trailers.

BigDad
09-03-2016, 05:44
Okay , whats DOF and CA?

polyneutron
09-03-2016, 05:59
Well, DOF = Depth of Field, CA = Chromatic Aberrations

BigDad
09-03-2016, 06:32

resmania
09-03-2016, 06:42
Mirage effect is an overkill for a racing sim IMO.