PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Community Event - Post steam name if clean!

b_akerlite
29-06-2015, 18:25
Ok -

I been putting a lot of time into this - grabbing two tenths or so a day, clawing my way up! now while I can easily admit ill never be the fastest and topping the boards I am finding it hard to find clean ghosts!! my current is around 130 on the leaderboard and 130.3 laptime - that lovely split time info on top right while lapping says I have a potential of 128.6 (I am glad it has faith in me cause I would need to get religious to get that!) so I looked for 4 or 5 ghosts around that time and they all were cutting corners - I dont care let them off, I dont want to be starting one of 'those' threads...

So - If you post a time (Clean - lets call it 2 wheels out okay - 3 wheels out not okay!) please post your username so others can see what laptimes are representative and it becomes a bit more fun for us straight laced - sunday drivin - pencil pushing - non corner cutters!

Cheers and thanks!

l_ob 1:29.088 +0:05.077 Driving model: Pro Setup: Custom Controller: Wheel Camera: In-car Driving aids: Autoclutch only 29/06/2015 19:53

choupolo
29-06-2015, 19:17
Nice idea!

choupolo - ~1:28.8

All assists on. PS4 controller.

Setup changes: Lower rear downforce, lower ride height and stiffer springs, longer gears topping at ~280kph.

N0body Of The Goat
29-06-2015, 19:26
Default setup with auto clutch (ABS; TC; SC incorrectly listed as "on" when driving assists set to "real")...
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard/event?event=46&page=3

N0body OfTheGoat 1min28.882secs (#236 so far)

FA RACING 01
29-06-2015, 19:34
FA RACING 01 - 1:26.402. (#14 on LB last time I checked last night)

Working on setup, so more to come.

choupolo
30-06-2015, 00:11
Any setup tips for this?

I've been looking at Atho's lap video he posted in the other thread. There was a some track extending at the start of the lap but I don't think it would make that much difference.

Also he tops out at 287kph and I'm trying to figure out my gears to get closer to this. My setup also needs a lot of work to be more stable going into corners at any speed and turning more tightly around the apex.

FA RACING 01
30-06-2015, 07:15
^^^ I'll give you mine anytime mate, but it still needs some tweaking. On sector time I stay with Atho on the first sector, but then badly fell away on the two tight corners that follows. AND I think I just found out why after viewing his video again. I'll let you know after some testing tonight if by then you still interested.

PM You use assist ?

choupolo
30-06-2015, 07:47
Definitely interested, cheers FA!

I'm using all assists at the moment. Started using them in the last event at Road America as it seemed to help in the long corners, but no idea whether it's helping at Dubai. Haven't tried without yet. I'm on a PS4 gamepad.

I'm not averse to turning them off though - that's how I was playing to start with and was able to tune out much of the locking under brakes and power oversteer depending on the car/track.

FA RACING 01
30-06-2015, 19:43
Definitely interested, cheers FA!

I'm using all assists at the moment. Started using them in the last event at Road America as it seemed to help in the long corners, but no idea whether it's helping at Dubai. Haven't tried without yet. I'm on a PS4 gamepad.

I'm not averse to turning them off though - that's how I was playing to start with and was able to tune out much of the locking under brakes and power oversteer depending on the car/track.

Sorry mate. Saw the cheaters now found new routes on Dubai beyond imagination, doing 1:23.2xx on XBox. Nobody have a chance against that, unless they go down to that level, but most real racers on here won't do that. I lost my motivation for this challenge now so I'm out. I'll return doing them once this has been solved. Hope you guys enjoy. Cheers.

choupolo
30-06-2015, 22:40
No worries mate. If I can beat your time cleanly I'll let you know and try to give you a fair challenge!

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 06:16
No worries mate. If I can beat your time cleanly I'll let you know and try to give you a fair challenge!

That sounds good - let me know.

WRT IVORBIGUN
01-07-2015, 12:15
A clean 1.25.742

https://youtu.be/OrEv4CGUbOI

N0body Of The Goat
01-07-2015, 12:31
A clean 1.25.742

Really?

Which I replicate in bumper cam with...

Which when swapped to chase cam is...

.... No, that is not clean, you have all four wheels inside the track defining white lines.

And there are other examples in that clip which look suspect too.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 12:33
Really?

Which I replicate in bumper cam with...

Which when swapped to chase cam is...

.... No, that is not clean, you have all four wheels inside the track defining white lines.

And there are other examples in that clip which look suspect too.

I'd say that is clean. Two wheels firmly on the kerb, which is part of the race track for most.

N0body Of The Goat
01-07-2015, 12:38
I'd say that is clean. Two wheels firmly on the kerb, which is part of the race track for most.

I'd say if this happened in F1 during qualifying, it would be a null and void lap, because the left set of wheels are ~4 widths out of bounds.

choupolo
01-07-2015, 12:38
A clean 1.25.742

Good come back!

I'm thinking my gears are all wrong - I get to the same top speed but my acceleration out of the slow corners is not that good. Otherwise the lap feels pretty close to mine in terms of lines and braking points - but I'm a whole 3 seconds slower! :confused:

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 12:39
I'd say if this happened in F1 during qualifying, it would be a null and void lap, because the left set of wheels are ~4 widths out of bounds.

That's not F1 though :)

They are a bit more strict in general.

WRT IVORBIGUN
01-07-2015, 12:40
I give up if some do not consider the lap clean and clearly have no idea.

Watch a F1 race and you will see all drivers make full use of the width of the track including rumble strips. What you highlight above clearly shows 2 wheels on the rumble strip. I would only agree if all 4 wheels were off the track.

Just remember the secret of being fast is finding the straighest line through a corner and making full use of the width of the track. You just have to make sure 2 wheels remain on the track with mine do as the rumble strips are part of the track. Maybe this is where you are going wrong.

Anyway my intentions are honourable and my set up is fast but difficult to control the car. Even if I did stray a few mms my intentions were to drive clean and the amount of time gained is only tiny.

Thank you Ian for backing me up.

Deadzone
01-07-2015, 12:41

I dissagree Ian, to me it should be invalid if two wheels go past the red and white painted section. On the green should not be allowed.

choupolo
01-07-2015, 12:42

I think the MSA would class that as out too, am I right?

Here's a quick google:

THE NEW RULE:

Regulation Q14.4.2: Drivers must use the track at all times and may not leave the track without a justifiable reason.

Q14.4.2.a The white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track.

Q14.4.2.b A driver will be judged to have left the track if any wheel of the car either goes beyond the outer edge of any kerb or goes beyond the white line where there is no kerb.

PENALTY SYSTEM:

First offence: Reprieve
Second: Black-and-white warning flag
Third: Five-second penalty
Fourth: Drive-through penalty
Fifth: Black flag

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112242

Next patch pretty please? :D

N0body Of The Goat
01-07-2015, 12:44

I don't follow real life motorsport much besides F1, so I could not say what others use. :)

How far inside your idea of track boundaries is the Radical example, in terms of approximate tyre widths?

b_akerlite
01-07-2015, 12:50
I humbly disagree - The wrong two wheels are on the curb imo.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 12:52
I humbly disagree - The wrong two wheels are on the curb imo.

OK maybe it's a bit too much.

Midline of the car on the kerbs.

choupolo
01-07-2015, 12:57

It wasn't far off. If the midline of the car was on the kerb, then the left two wheels would still be on the white line, which would be ok imo.

Although I have to say the lower two pictures are slightly more to the right than the original video, exaggerating it somewhat.

b_akerlite
01-07-2015, 13:03

As a time trial junkie - I could totally live with that as a blanket rule within the game -
If there's a way to implement that in every track , every class and have it enforced that would be an incredible improvement.

so basically center line of the car crosses A) Track Boundry or B)Kerbs then you are disqualified!

I am sure this is just a case of pressing a button and 'kabam!' it implemented am I right? am I right? :)

VarmintKong
01-07-2015, 13:22
I think what we're seeing here is an excellent example of the need for greater consistency. How many different opinions have been put out in the last dozen posts. I feel the white line defines track limitations, but if Chewbacca himself is cool with kerbs I have a feeling we won't be seeing the track limits tightened past what we see in the page 2 post pictures. That's fine, but for consistency and fairness there needs to be a clear set of expectations (track limits).

FA Racing, maybe you could post your current lap at the Dubai Challenge? I've spent a lot of time chasing your ghost and I feel it would help clarify what a clean lap is. If it wasn't for you and Decaturplaya I wouldn't have a clean ghost to chase.

Big Gun, Thanks for highlighting the differences in possible times when utilizing massive cuts to being right on the edge. When running clean, it all comes down to self-policing, which is an absolute vagary at present. You used your best judgement of what clean is and I respect that. I'm nowhere near as fast as you; currently in the low 1:30's. The last time I thought I set a new fast lap (finally below 1:30) I viewed my ghost and barely went inside the white on turn 4. Dangit! I wanted to get under that 1:30 mark, but I know I'll nail it with a little more seat time.

Hey, we'll always debate what is clean or not when we're flowin' like the metal on the edge of the knife; I just want some clearly defined expectations that are enforceable.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 13:24
I think what we're seeing here is an excellent example of the need for greater consistency. How many different opinions have been put out in the last dozen posts. I feel the white line defines track limitations, but if Chewbacca himself is cool with kerbs I have a feeling we won't be seeing the track limits tightened past what we see in the page 2 post pictures. That's fine, but for consistency and fairness there needs to be a clear set of expectations (track limits).

FA Racing, maybe you could post your current lap at the Dubai Challenge? I've spent a lot of time chasing your ghost and I feel it would help clarify what a clean lap is. If it wasn't for you and Decaturplaya I wouldn't have a clean ghost to chase.

Big Gun, Thanks for highlighting the differences in possible times when utilizing massive cuts to being right on the edge. When running clean, it all comes down to self-policing, which is an absolute vagary at present. You used your best judgement of what clean is and I respect that. I'm nowhere near as fast as you; currently in the low 1:30's. The last time I thought I set a new fast lap (finally below 1:30) I viewed my ghost and barely went inside the white on turn 4. Dangit! I wanted to get under that 1:30 mark, but I know I'll nail it with a little more seat time.

Hey, we'll always debate what is clean or not when we're flowin' like the metal on the edge of the knife; I just want some clearly defined expectations that are enforceable.

I'm cool with kerbs. But before we had the green crete areas inside of kerbs tagged as racing legal. That was a mistake.

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 13:57
I give up if some do not consider the lap clean and clearly have no idea.

Watch a F1 race and you will see all drivers make full use of the width of the track including rumble strips. What you highlight above clearly shows 2 wheels on the rumble strip. I would only agree if all 4 wheels were off the track.

Just remember the secret of being fast is finding the straighest line through a corner and making full use of the width of the track. You just have to make sure 2 wheels remain on the track with mine do as the rumble strips are part of the track. Maybe this is where you are going wrong.

Anyway my intentions are honourable and my set up is fast but difficult to control the car. Even if I did stray a few mms my intentions were to drive clean and the amount of time gained is only tiny.

Thank you Ian for backing me up.

Your effort has my respect. Great lap.

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 14:08

I will do that mate - just don't know how to get it here from XBox

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 14:10
I'm cool with kerbs. But before we had the green crete areas inside of kerbs tagged as racing legal. That was a mistake.

I'm cool with kerbs too. Will be great to have that as a consistent clear rule.

GMDLONDON
01-07-2015, 15:49

A bit off topic event , but is this clean lap can You tell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YubA-SIm8

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 16:26
A bit off topic event , but is this clean lap can You tell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YubA-SIm8

Looks pretty clean to me. Great lap.

GMDLONDON
01-07-2015, 16:43
Looks pretty clean to me. Great lap.

Thanks m8, I did try my best, but Ian Bell word is for me important.

Who was the winner of Wisconsin Retrospective event on Xbox1? thanks

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 21:44

Ok mate. Back on topic. Quick testing at Dubai on new SMS RULE ( 2 wheels on kurb) and down to 1:26.185)

PM. Missed the kurb on 3 corners so gonna work more on that - still time to gain on that.

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 21:49
Thanks m8, I did try my best, but Ian Bell word is for me important.

Who was the winner of Wisconsin Retrospective event on Xbox1? thanks

On XBox I have it as 1st. Slux GTurbo with a 1:48.138 and 2nd BAM Commando with a 1:48.247

GMDLONDON
01-07-2015, 23:59
On XBox I have it as 1st. Slux GTurbo with a 1:48.138 and 2nd BAM Commando with a 1:48.247

Nice . Late congratulation, did they have contacted you re. the price and address?

choupolo
02-07-2015, 01:51
Ok mate. Back on topic. Quick testing at Dubai on new SMS RULE ( 2 wheels on kurb) and down to 1:26.185)

PM. Missed the kurb on 3 corners so gonna work more on that - still time to gain on that.

Frustrated tonight!

I've reached the point I was at during the Wisconsin event - off the pace with a 1:28.7 and I don't really feel as though I can go any better than that, doing some of my best laps, hitting all my markers/apexes and maximising the straights.

Desperately tried to find something in the setup that could help tonight to no avail. Last time out at Road America I magically found 4 seconds after plugging in a very different tune after the event finished which would have got me up there. I could use some of that setup to help with straight line speed here, but in this case it was no magic bullet!

I know I'm missing something! Skill most probably! :p Arg..

FA RACING 01
02-07-2015, 05:46
Frustrated tonight!

I've reached the point I was at during the Wisconsin event - off the pace with a 1:28.7 and I don't really feel as though I can go any better than that, doing some of my best laps, hitting all my markers/apexes and maximising the straights.

Desperately tried to find something in the setup that could help tonight to no avail. Last time out at Road America I magically found 4 seconds after plugging in a very different tune after the event finished which would have got me up there. I could use some of that setup to help with straight line speed here, but in this case it was no magic bullet!

I know I'm missing something! Skill most probably! :p Arg..

I''ll send you my tune when I get home tonight, but I'm running with SC only and on a wheel, so not sure if the setup will suit you any better.

choupolo
02-07-2015, 10:52
Thanks FA.

Hehe, I burnt myself out last night at 2am. Going to give it another go with a fresh mind since I have the day off today. :D

Do you run high or low downforce? My best laps were with low downforce, but I made the same mistake at Road America - where very high downforce was much faster. I tried max downforce but suffered massively down the straights. Dubai has a few long fast corners but there are also some key slow ones so I'm lost!

I'm also suffering with mid corner understeer when the car is balanced on turns like the last couple. But then when I try to soften the front or stiffen the rear it starts coming loose at the back when decelerating/engine braking and then getting back on the power too. If I can solve the two together I think I could go faster, but again I'm using trial and error and things often just get worse and worse - I end up resetting back to defaults and starting again!

Constantly going in and out of time trials, it's taking ages...

FA RACING 01
02-07-2015, 11:51
Thanks FA.

Hehe, I burnt myself out last night at 2am. Going to give it another go with a fresh mind since I have the day off today. :D

Do you run high or low downforce? My best laps were with low downforce, but I made the same mistake at Road America - where very high downforce was much faster. I tried max downforce but suffered massively down the straights. Dubai has a few long fast corners but there are also some key slow ones so I'm lost!

I'm also suffering with mid corner understeer when the car is balanced on turns like the last couple. But then when I try to soften the front or stiffen the rear it starts coming loose at the back when decelerating/engine braking and then getting back on the power too. If I can solve the two together I think I could go faster, but again I'm using trial and error and things often just get worse and worse - I end up resetting back to defaults and starting again!

Constantly going in and out of time trials, it's taking ages...

LOL. Sounds so familiar. I keep it to 30 minute sessions and have some coffee or a whisky in between sessions, ending up normally way past midnight.

At Dubai I played a lot with downforce between 4 to 6 at the rear and 2 at the front and at the end settled for F 2 and R 5. Just have to be disciplined on braking spots and rather work on improving mid-corner and corner exit speed and keeping momentum through the corner.

I had same stability issues in the corner, but playing with the brake balance a bit solved that.

You in UK ? Simmilar time zone as me. When you take a break, send me a message when you on PCars tonight.

WRT IVORBIGUN
02-07-2015, 15:10
Just let you know I had 0 downforce on the front and 5 on the rear,

o2R Dsquared 07
02-07-2015, 15:17

I've commonly found 0 front downforce is the way to go.

choupolo
02-07-2015, 16:24
EDIT: Have managed to tweak things back up to top speed again - basically by closing ducts, slamming suspension to the ground and straightening out alignment. The setup us now pretty extreme but I managed a 1:27.5 with it.

Also turned all assists off.

Not really expecting any more time improvement now, unless I can figure out a stable oversteery setup. A bit of controlled oversteer seems to help powering out of corners, but its so hard!

FA RACING 01
02-07-2015, 18:07

That gave me two tenths - thanks. So down to 1:25.955 now with more to find once I get used to slightly different lines or maybe breaking points due to lower aero.

b_akerlite
02-07-2015, 18:09
So down to 1:25.955
internal or externa veiw? any assists?

FA RACING 01
02-07-2015, 18:19
internal or externa veiw? any assists?

The only assist I use here is SC. I practice a lot without it, but still struggle a bit to do hotlapping without it. Might be my setup - not sure.

Whateverworks
02-07-2015, 19:34
My evolving level of stupidity may be beyond anyone's comprehension but I fail to see which car you drive while claiming these awesome lap-times. I would like to discover how competitive my lap-times are relative to yours, but that requires the knowledge of the car in which these lap-times were set.

Again, I do apologize for what probably has an obvious answer.

choupolo
02-07-2015, 19:46
My evolving level of stupidity may be beyond anyone's comprehension but I fail to see which car you drive while claiming these awesome lap-times. I would like to discover how competitive my lap-times are relative to yours, but that requires the knowledge of the car in which these lap-times were set.

This is the Dubai community event that is currently running in the Radical SR8 RX.

FA RACING 01
02-07-2015, 20:43

Hope you got sorted out on this one mate.

Having an early night (first this week) so ending with a 1:25.937 for now.