PDA

View Full Version : resolved clarification was needed!

-Brick_Top-
30-06-2015, 11:36
Should the drs not be labelled as kers?

Kers = Kinetic energy recovery system

Drs = Drag reduction system

Kers is an automotive system for recovering a moving vehicle's kinetic energy under braking. The recovered energy is stored in a reservoir (for example a flywheel or high voltage batteries) for later use under acceleration.

Or do I have it wrong and in fact drs needs charging?

Bealdor
30-06-2015, 11:38
Sorry but I don't see your problem. What specific car are you referring to? PCARS has both systems implemented actually.

danowat
30-06-2015, 11:40
huh?

-Brick_Top-
30-06-2015, 11:49
Sorry but I don't see your problem. What specific car are you referring to? PCARS has both systems implemented actually.

Noticed it whilst driving formula a. As I understand it drs envolves moving parts on car to allow drag reduction ie rear wing opening. I can't see any parts moving whilst using it. What cars have kers? Or are you saying the one button does both at once?

Edit*

Not saying it's a problem just asking a question if that's allowed?

Marrrfooo
30-06-2015, 11:53
Noticed it whilst driving formula a. As I understand it drs envolves moving parts on car to allow drag reduction ie rear wing opening. I can't see any parts moving whilst using it. What cars have kers? Or are you saying the one button does both at once?

Formula A has both DRS and KERS. They should be mapped to SEPARATE buttons - although it's of course entirely possible to drive without them but you do so at a great disadvantage.

KERS is the boost to the BHP output of the engine - normally delivered via the continuous pressing of an allocated button on the steering wheel. This recharges as you go around the circuit harvesting off of brake energy recovery as well as some straight line recovery (depending on setup in real life - this is either done via flywheel or stored to a battery). There is a limit to how much this can be used. In real life it can only be used on certain parts of circuits in F1 - but in PCARS I believe it's applicable at any point as long as you have charge. You are not able to discharge more than 1x full set of charge on any single lap.

DRS is the stalling of the rear wing. When this button is singularly pressed the rear wing angle is reduced to near 0 degrees (stall) and thus reduces drag, giving you a boost in acceleration and straight line top speed. This does not require continuous pressing. The wing will revert back to normal drag either when you next press the brake or if you press the button again.

Bealdor
30-06-2015, 11:54

Those cars have both, KERS and DRS. And you have to activate them with different buttons. The battery symbol is for KERS. The DRS symbol is right next to the KERS symbol.

mcbrew
30-06-2015, 11:57

Edit*

Not saying it's a problem just asking a question if that's allowed?

In the Formula A cars, if you press the DRS button, you see the rearwing open. This means you get less drag and should result in more topspeed at straights. I haven`t done a Formula A race yet (just practice runs). But in a real race there would be 1 or more zones where you`re allowed to open the wing, this is allowed when you`re one second or less behind a car, this way overtaking should be easier.

KERS is a system that recharges when you break. It`s a elecric system that gives you more power. You`re allowed to use this once a lap (if it`s charged). In formula A cars you have a button to release the power. In some other cars, its done automaticly (for instance the Marek LMP1 car).

changed DRS to KERS

-Brick_Top-
30-06-2015, 11:57
Formula A has both DRS and KERS. They should be mapped to SEPARATE buttons - although it's of course entirely possible to drive without them but you do so at a great disadvantage.

KERS is the boost to the BHP output of the engine - normally delivered via the continuous pressing of an allocated button on the steering wheel. This recharges as you go around the circuit harvesting off of brake energy recovery as well as some straight line recovery (depending on setup in real life - this is either done via flywheel or stored to a battery). There is a limit to how much this can be used. In real life it can only be used on certain parts of circuits in F1 - but in PCARS I believe it's applicable at any point as long as you have charge. You are not able to discharge more than 1x full set of charge on any single lap.

DRS is the stalling of the rear wing. When this button is singularly pressed the rear wing angle is reduced to near 0 degrees (stall) and thus reduces drag, giving you a boost in acceleration and straight line top speed. This does not require continuous pressing. The wing will revert back to normal drag either when you next press the brake or if you press the button again.

Perfect thanks for the reply I obviously haven't mapped it to a button on the wheel! What a doughnut .

Thank you sir

Edit*

Are there set zones for drs and rules like f1 or set times it can be used per race ?

Marrrfooo
30-06-2015, 12:03
Perfect thanks for the reply I obviously haven't mapped it to a button on the wheel! What a doughnut .

Thank you sir

Edit*

Are there set zones for drs and rules like f1 or set times it can be used per race ?

In real life there are set zones for DRS usage - but PCARS does not represent them as far as I know so you can use it wherever you want. With KERS you can use it whenever you want also but you cannot apply more than 1x full battery discharge on any single lap (i.e. if you use it all down the first straight even though it will charge up as you continue around the circuit, you will not be able to apply it again until you cross the start/finish line to commence a new lap).

I doubt DRS zones will ever be applied to PCARS - possibly in PCARS2 though.

EDIT: To be fair, trying to crack your fastest lap time with ever-increasingly dangerous usage of DRS is seriously fun (and dangerous)!

mcbrew
30-06-2015, 12:04
I`m not sure, as i haven`t done any formula A races yet (working my way up from karting:))