PDA

View Full Version : [Answered]Oculus DK2 Feedback on patch 2 and new problem for me, which I can't solve.

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 21:30
The new functionality all looks great, and with only 1 car on the track everything is great.

However I am having awful trouble with what I can only describe as blurring when AI are added. It's not like the framerate juder, it's almost like the helmet cam blur whenever I move my head at all. Driving the formula A even the numbers on my wheel give multiple images, this is not at all present on single car, where I can turn settings too high and still get normal judder.

I have tried both extended and direct, and runtime 0.6.0.0,and 0.6.0.1, iedentical problems.

And even though I am running a 980TI I have turned my settings back down to lower than I had when running a 970 and just cannot get rid of these weried effect. Makes it very unpleasant to try and race.

Any ideas?

cluck
30-06-2015, 21:49
Try adding -skipcrowds to the launch parameters and turn some of the detail down. I raised the same query on the pCARS2 dev forum and Griff replied there that the judder/blur effect is when you're not maintaining 75fps.

Also, as far as I'm aware, I don't believe you can run 'extended' anymore, it's direct only now.

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 21:55
Ok, it is definitely performance related. 15 cars and turn everything down to it's lowest setting and it's gone, but that can't be right, I was getting 75-80 FPS with a 970 with most things on high.

A bit lost as to what to try next, I can gradually turn things back up but surely performance with this patch should at least match the last one?

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 21:56
Try adding -skipcrowds to the launch parameters and turn some of the detail down. I raised the same query on the pCARS2 dev forum and Griff replied there that the judder/blur effect is when you're not maintaining 75fps.

Also, as far as I'm aware, I don't believe you can run 'extended' anymore, it's direct only now.

Already had that, and extended and direct do work exactly the same issue though.

I just can't believe the performance has dropped that dramatically.

cluck
30-06-2015, 22:00
Was that 75-80fps on a static 2D screen?

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 22:15
Was that 75-80fps on a static 2D screen?

No on my rift. Usng fraps benchmarking.

However I have worked out what is going wrong, don't know if it's a bug or design.

If I start with very low settings, even with vsync and fps cap off there is a 75 VSync coded in the game somewhere. It is pinned at 75 in all situations.

Then as I raise settings it is fine up to a point when it suddeny drops to 37 FPS in all circumstances.

So basically there are only 2 frame rates, 75 vsynced and 37 if it can't get to 75. SO 70FPS just drops to 37, definitely wasn't doing this before, or at least not on these settings.

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 22:25
Done some research,

This is a direct mode issue and ties in with a comment about remiving vsync on the pcars 2 build notes.

In direct mode, if vsync is set and it can't lock 75 it drops to 37, vsync!

So looks horrible, hopefully. 0.6.0.1 will fix this as.vsync is removed. As I'm just not happy to use all low settings on a 980ti to get a 100% 75 vsync.

And then again, maybe I'm wrong :)

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 23:16
Having a nice chat with myself.

And it is the rift dropping vsync from 75 to 37 even if it's getting 70-74. SO after much tweaking, and reducing visual settings from 1.4 (also finding out that the rift ignores DSR setting:) ) I've got a state where I can run a race at Monza, with 30 FA cars on the grid, just a bit of frame drop for the start and first corner then ok.

0.6.0.0.doesn't appear to work in extended any more, 0.6.0.1 does, but the issue is the same, the difference being that the game sends the framrate it can achieve to the rift in the latter rather than the locked 37, but then the rift reduces it anyway.

I believe the artificial Vsync will be removed in the next patch so maybe it won't be so sever, along with a significant performance increase. So roll on next patch, or maye we will be really lucky and get a PC only VR patch to fully incorporate .0.6.0.1 and it's render ahead, or whatever it's called :)

Alt101
01-07-2015, 04:18
I too am having problems with the latest patch on the DK2. Running with two GTX970s in SLI and I can't get a solid 75fps. Before patch 2.0 I was getting buttery smooth gameplay, now its unplayable. Nice to be able to see the menus though... just when I was getting good at navigating with one eye

Captain Vegas
01-07-2015, 05:43
I am also having problems with patch 2.0. I tried to stop the update, but was forced to accept it from steam. When I am driving every few second s my view hops around in and out of the car. If I am stopped it looks fine, but as soon as I start moving I get this issue. Anyone else seen this? My other problem is that I was running in extended mode before and I had OBS to both show the menu and the in car view on a second screen. I don't seem to be able to show the car view anymore - anyone know how I can do this? I was going to bring my racing cockpit and DK2 into work in two days for a company party (I work at a game developer), but I am not in a usable state now - anyway to roll back?

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 07:04
I too am having problems with the latest patch on the DK2. Running with two GTX970s in SLI and I can't get a solid 75fps. Before patch 2.0 I was getting buttery smooth gameplay, now its unplayable. Nice to be able to see the menus though... just when I was getting good at navigating with one eye

I have no idea what this performance drop is. My 980ti is now performing worse than my 970 was last week. I can make it playable by reducing settings, a lot!

I've also lost sweetfx, which is a shame as i really liked the view that gave me.

At least I've found out that dsr doesnt work in the rift:)

Captain Vegas
01-07-2015, 07:39
I have lowered my settings all the way down and I still have this enormous judder. I have a GTX 980 and it was running great before.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 08:45
I have lowered my settings all the way down and I still have this enormous judder. I have a GTX 980 and it was running great before.

It's crazy isn't it.

I lowered everything to the minimum and then worked back up. But I've gone from a good experience with most things on high and ultra except for shadows and particles, including ds4x to most settings on medium or low, only cars and texture on high and ds2x.

After a lot more reading and research I think what has happened is this patch has two separate problems. One I can't be certain of, and that is a perceived hit on performance, as the juddering, when I get it is definitely at a lower setting than it was before, maybe the HUD? maybe something else, maybe just switching to direct mode causes that.

But the second problem is related to the use of direct mode, where you either get 75FPS and a lovely smooth view, or 37FPS and loads of ghosting/judder. Using extended mode you maybe got 45-55 frames on the start line with a load of other cars, but once the race was under way ti might get up to 65-73 and sometimes 75 and it was still really good. Now using direct mode that would be 37 all the way through, and loads of ghosting.

You can prove this if you use Fraps or NVidia inspector. My perceptual view through my Rift with my settings on max (all ultra/high/ds4x and Nvidia 4*SSG) on the start line with 30 cars is exactly the same as with everything on medium/ a few high and ds2x and no SSG. But Fraps shows 37-49 on the max setting and 53-73 on the second. The direct mode Vsync locks both of those down to 37.

So what you now need to do to get a reasonable view is take your settings down to a level where you are getting 75+Fps ALL or at least the majority of the time.

There is supposed to be a 21% approx performance improvement when the game is optimised with 0.6.0.1 and queue ahead, which allows the CPU to start eh render of the next frame before the Rift has displayed the current one (or at least that's how I understand it). That should take us back to at least where we were before the patch and with a working HUD and 3D experience, so I would see that as a good enhanced experience. Just frustrating at the moment as the race experience and quality was very good using sweetfx and high settings and that has gone for now. But the next patch or a hotfix will have us in a much better position than before. Don't think there is a way round the sweetfx issue though sadly.

It would be great to have some comment from Martin on what we are seeing here, but I think he's in one of the US timezones isn't he? Or at least he works some stupidly long hours :)

Naz
01-07-2015, 09:22
Add me to the list guys, VR in the DK2 is a massive fail for me now I'm afraid.

Experiencing the same awful judders irrespective of graphic settings (including everything at "low" or "off"). Experiencing the same double vision when moving my head as reported earlier in this thread. In both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, with 0.5.0.1, I was able to run races of 16+ cars with very little judder (Occasional and temporary slight judder from time to time on a starting grid only) with most graphic setting on high/medium(PCars) - high/ultra (AC).

I have tried each of the below tests in solo practice, race with 4 opponents and race with 14 opponents ... no discernible difference.
Weather clear/noon each test.
SLI enabled/disabled - no discernible difference.

Direct mode
OR 0.6.0.0: awful judder, blurred vision when moving head.
OR 0.6.0.1: as above, but the blurred vision is reduced.
OR 0.5.0.1: The old driver set I was using pre-patch - game does not display in DK2 -black screen.

Extended mode
0.6.0.0 and 0.6.0.1: I cant get extended mode to even work on the PC let alone in game..it crashes the OR software.
0.5.0.1: reverting to the old drivers allows extended mode to work in windows again, but I get the I get left eye showing left hand part of the cockpit, right eye showing the right side...all in glorious 2d! :D

I am having a group of friends over this week to show off both Assetto Corsa and PCars in the rift, but as it stands now, I will have to go back to 0.5.0.1 and only Assetto Corsa will work unfortunately.

Hoping there is some improvements on the way or else PCars will have to be shelved temporarily....I simply cant go back to flat screen driving any more ;)

Hope any of this info helps the Devs. My system specs are below. TrevorAustin's suggestion regarding VSync forcing the FPS down to the 30s seems plausible to me as I've heard of that before in other games.

Fingers crossed for some good news soon chaps!
:)

SYSTEM: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.4 Ghz (Corsair H100i watercooler) | ASUS Maximus VI Hero MB | 16Gb 1866 RAM | 2x NVidia GTX 780 SLI | Oculus Rift @ DK2 1920x1080 x 74 Hz | Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel and pedals + TH8 RS Shifter| Win 7 x64 |

PS: Oh and Trev, don't worry about having a conversation with yourself, I do it all the time .. It's quite reassuring once you get used to it :D ;) :D

Rafport
01-07-2015, 10:06
Exact same issue here, the game is playable just putting everything off where before the patch lot of detail was on and run nicely. It seems so basic now, it's embarassing.

I'm using 6.0.0 runtime. I tried (now i can't i did some try yesterday night) even extended, extended setting primary monitor (as i used before patch) but i can't see evident benefits, nauseating judder and you had to put everything off. It works anyway, in the Naz's post he can't run extended in 6.0.0 but Oculus runtime are quite randomic, i change my pc and with the older one did almost the opposite i notice now.

HUD is not OK also and need to be removed. Vr menus are mostly unreadable, and trend to cross your eyes. With my pleasure, i can't downgrade as i own the digital Steam copy.

Latency seems improved, but the price is too high. It's an huge delusion, it was one of my favourite games.

CPU i7 4790k | overclocked GTX 970 | 16GB Ram

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 10:09
Add me to the list guys, VR in the DK2 is a massive fail for me now I'm afraid.

Experiencing the same awful judders irrespective of graphic settings (including everything at "low" or "off"). Experiencing the same double vision when moving my head as reported earlier in this thread. In both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, with 0.5.0.1, I was able to run races of 16+ cars with very little judder (Occasional and temporary slight judder from time to time on a starting grid only) with most graphic setting on high/medium(PCars) - high/ultra (AC).

I have tried each of the below tests in solo practice, race with 4 opponents and race with 14 opponents ... no discernible difference.
Weather clear/noon each test.
SLI enabled/disabled - no discernible difference.

Direct mode
OR 0.6.0.0: awful judder, blurred vision when moving head.
OR 0.6.0.1: as above, but the blurred vision is reduced.
OR 0.5.0.1: The old driver set I was using pre-patch - game does not display in DK2 -black screen.

Extended mode
0.6.0.0 and 0.6.0.1: I cant get extended mode to even work on the PC let alone in game..it crashes the OR software.
0.5.0.1: reverting to the old drivers allows extended mode to work in windows again, but I get the I get left eye showing left hand part of the cockpit, right eye showing the right side...all in glorious 2d! :D

I am having a group of friends over this week to show off both Assetto Corsa and PCars in the rift, but as it stands now, I will have to go back to 0.5.0.1 and only Assetto Corsa will work unfortunately.

Hoping there is some improvements on the way or else PCars will have to be shelved temporarily....I simply cant go back to flat screen driving any more ;)

Hope any of this info helps the Devs. My system specs are below.

Fingers crossed for some good news soon chaps!

SYSTEM: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.4 Ghz (Corsair H100i watercooler) | ASUS Maximus VI Hero MB | 16Gb 1866 RAM | 2x NVidia GTX 780 SLI | Oculus Rift @ DK2 1920x1080 x 74 Hz | Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel and pedals + TH8 RS Shifter| Win 7 x64 |

PS: Oh and Trev, don't worry about having a conversation with yourself, I do it all the time .. It's quite reassuring once you get used to it :D ;) :D

Yes, I am convinced it is this vsync issue locking you down to 37FPS as soon as you can't get 75. I know this is removed when 0.6.0.1 is fully optimised in the game, but no way to test if it gets us any improvement.

Did you turn off any Nvidia inspector settings like sparse grid SS or DSR too? I removed ALL of those then turned all performance settings to their absolute lowest, even trilinear texture filtering:) and worked my way back up to only getting the ghosting effect a little bit on the start line with 30 cars at Monza. Still having to use pretty low settings, and surprised how much I'm missing the Sweetfx settings I had settled on.

Naz
01-07-2015, 10:23
The only thing I've ever changed in Nvidia Inspector was to limit frames to 75 which helped immensely with judders when I first bought PCars. Everything else is default (I basically leave that all that alone because I don't know what most of it means (whenever I've tried to learn techie things, my head starts to hurt).

I should add that in the thread about SLI performance in the tech help section there is some talk of the HUD seriously affecting FPS(even on 2D) so perhaps the HUD (even if most of it is transparent in the Rift) is helping to kill our frames ?

Rafport
01-07-2015, 10:49
I feared it was the monitor's window to kill frame rate, because what the 2.0 patch includes it's not the classical direct mode mirror, views are different now. Anyway setting the Oculus as extended/primary the monitor don't show any window (i can't exclude it's still present in background anyway, i need to do deeper tests).

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 10:55
The 0.6.0.1 integration removes the HUD overlay so maybe we can switch it off?

Maybe the HUD is causing the performance drop, that is what I think it is. I really want the HUD so I would accept this.

And if we then get a 21% increase with the next Oculus update then we should be back to where we were but with a working HUD, I'll be very happy.

TheDoctor46
01-07-2015, 11:03
I feared it was the monitor's window to kill frame rate, because what the 2.0 patch includes it's not the classical direct mode mirror, views are different now. Anyway setting the Oculus as extended/primary the monitor don't show any window (i can't exclude it's still present in background anyway, i need to do deeper tests).
IIRC extended mode is not supported anymore. Id recommend anyone to delete the graphicsconfigdx11.xml located in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Project CARS (beware it will delete your graphics settings!). It helped me with the problem of having a black frame infront of my nose :)

Rafport
01-07-2015, 12:27
IIRC extended mode is not supported anymore. Id recommend anyone to delete the graphicsconfigdx11.xml located in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Project CARS (beware it will delete your graphics settings!). It helped me with the problem of having a black frame infront of my nose :)

Thank you very much, from a quick try (i had to work now :D) removing the graphicsconfigdx11.xml aid in overall performance. Now seems than when not 75fps the stutter is much less evident, when before goes from no stuttering (with zero details...) to unacceptable stuttering. I can't say if it's like before the update, i moved so many details and parameters yesterday trying to solve the problem. Anyway now runs way betters even with some details, almost the suggested config for Oculus in this forum (GTX970 and i7 4790k). I tried with tempest weater a race with 20 cars, and with some reasonable slowdon at start (much less than before anyway) i can say not bad, i can play it.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 13:09
Deleting the config file doesn't fix the reduced performance or the locked 75/37 fps vsync unfortunately. Great that it fixes the other issue though.

I have tried literally every combination i can think of.

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 13:24
The game right now for me is totally unplayable.. any movement with headtracking is totally full of stuttering.. No way to play!

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 13:25
The game right now for me is totally unplayable.. any movement with headtracking is totally full of stuttering.. No way to play!

You need to look at your machine mate. That kit should be giving you a great experience.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 13:26
Deleting the config file doesn't fix the reduced performance or the locked 75/37 fps vsync unfortunately. Great that it fixes the other issue though.

I have tried literally every combination i can think of.

And again, something up there. It should be smooth with the latest changes.

I'm calling on our secret PC Lead though.

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 13:46
You need to look at your machine mate. That kit should be giving you a great experience.

I know.. Before update i was playing 100% stutter free on any condition, with 4xSGSS on Nvidia Inspector, and now i can get the car out of the garage.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 13:48
I know.. Before update i was playing 100% stutter free on any condition, with 4xSGSS on Nvidia Inspector, and now i can get the car out of the garage.

I've called on out PC lead for a response.

The odd thing is others are hailing how excellent it is now.

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 13:51

Dont know what to try.. I think this is not a graphics settings issue, its totally unplayable like if you could use a 30fps game on DK2.. Totally stuttered.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 13:57
And again, something up there. It should be smooth with the latest changes.

I'm calling on our secret PC Lead though.

It's the direct to rift mode, locking anything under 75fps to 37 fps plus slightly reduced performance from the hud being there. It's a recognised direct to rift 'feature'

I'm pretty convinced that when pc lead adds support for queue ahead all will be good again:)

Ask him to check my tests, I'm almost 100% certain that is the issue. Extended mode didn't lock the framerate, so if you got 65fps that's what the rift displayed, now it displays 37 not 65.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 13:58

Once i lower settings enough to exceed 75fps it's awesome. But very low settings.

I'm available for further tests the rest of the day if i can help, but like i say, im certain I've diagnosed correctly.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 14:01
Once i lower settings enough to exceed 75fps it's awesome. But very low settings.

I'm available for further tests the rest of the day if i can help, but like i say, im certain I've diagnosed correctly.

I suspect you've answered the question really here Trevor. Our game is pushing the edge in terms of what we do live.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 14:14
Yes i think i have.
The problem people are seeing though, is where an extended 55 fps wasn't perfect it was a lot better to view than the forced direct mode dump from 74fps to 37 fps, no gradual reduction in performance you see either great 75fps or almost unusable 37.

The added load of the hud makes that more likely.

When 'he' adds support for the latest rift runtime we'll get a 21% improvement, meaning people will be able to run their previous settings probably and get all the new functionality.

Not sure if that is a hotfix possibility, i feel it probably us, but only he will know.

surtic86
01-07-2015, 14:25
When 'he' adds support for the latest rift runtime we'll get a 21% improvement, meaning people will be able to run their previous settings probably and get all the new functionality.

Is SKD 0.6.0.1 make really 21% Performance Boost? You have a link to this?

Aldo Zampatti
01-07-2015, 14:31
As far as I understand and I've researched, the SDK 0.6.0.1 resolved that issue.

So as far as I can think, this should be understandable since Oculus SDK is being actively developed and still not a released product.
Trevor, your chat with yourself was spot on from my perspective and very informative :)

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 14:33
As far as I understand and I've researched, the SDK 0.6.0.1 resolved that issue.

So as far as I can think, this should be understandable since Oculus SDK is being actively developed and still not a released product.
Trevor, your chat with yourself was spot on from my perspective and very informative :)

Thanks Aldo:)

0.6.0.1 isn't in the pcars 1 patch i don't think yet, so very god chance that will fix it.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 14:36
Is SKD 0.6.0.1 make really 21% Performance Boost? You have a link to this?

It's been included as test on pcars 2, and thats the developers numbers so I'm confident in them.

Absolutely certain it will be in the next patch at least.

He believes we'll be able to run the same settings in the rift as in 2d.

Its all down to the queue ahead feature, which seems to be that as soonas the gpu gets the frame the cpu can start the next one, previously it needed to complete render and display. Looks like being amassive feature, but only been out for days so no chance for this patch.

SMS PC Lead
01-07-2015, 14:39
Yes i think i have.
The problem people are seeing though, is where an extended 55 fps wasn't perfect it was a lot better to view than the forced direct mode dump from 74fps to 37 fps, no gradual reduction in performance you see either great 75fps or almost unusable 37.

The added load of the hud makes that more likely.

Not sure if that is a hotfix possibility, i feel it probably us, but only he will know.

This is correct - Direct Mode forces Vsync and any option for 'no vsync' has been removed from the SDK. So choosing settings which maintain a 75FPS lock is now crucial.

These are the recommended performance settings:

and Visual FX settings:

*EDIT* Once you have those settings if there is still Judder, then add the launch option "-skipcrowds"

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 14:48
Anyone can upload to mega or anywhere else Runtime 0.6.0.0 from Oculus?
I was trying with latest one? 0.6.0.1, and i cant get the older one from website.

Thanks in advance!

Pd.- Ian, i think here could be problem?

TheDoctor46
01-07-2015, 14:53
I was trying with latest one? 0.6.0.1, and i cant get the older one from website.

Thanks in advance!

Choose 'PC' as 'Platform' on the OR download page, then you can choose older versions ;) Even tho I dont think your problem is related to the current runtime...

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 14:56
Choose 'PC' as 'Platform' on the OR download page, then you can choose older versions ;) Even tho I dont think your problem is related to the current runtime...

Its true! Sorry for that! :)

Im going to try with 0.6.0.0, and will be back with feedback.

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 15:07
Totally unplayable with 0.6.0.0 on the way... Trust me, unplayable.
Even switching off 4x SGSS on Nvidia Inspector.. no way to play.

If somebody knows a solution would be great to share with us.

MorciXL
01-07-2015, 15:12
Error same post!

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 15:19

Thanks in advance!

No it isn't, seriously, I've tried everything:)

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 15:23
This is correct - Direct Mode forces Vsync and any option for 'no vsync' has been removed from the SDK. So choosing settings which maintain a 75FPS lock is now crucial.

These are the recommended performance settings:

and Visual FX settings:

*EDIT* Once you have those settings if there is still Judder, then add the launch option "-skipcrowds"

Wow, lower than i expected, but with the ti I'm running a fair bit higher than that now and it's good.

Also could you please confirm that nvidia dsr resolution is ignored by rift and I'll stop wasting my time with it.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 15:23
Totally unplayable with 0.6.0.0 on the way... Trust me, unplayable.
Even switching off 4x SGSS on Nvidia Inspector.. no way to play.

If somebody knows a solution would be great to share with us.

It's not unplayable, just need to lower your settings.

ReneB
01-07-2015, 15:36
This is true. If you turn off everything - and just race with just yourself. What I do is set a lap time - and then I try to beat that lap time!

You can manage some playability - but I wish the game didn't look so awful. Does anyone know when they will reinstate oculus support?

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 15:45
This is true. If you turn off everything - and just race with just yourself. What I do is set a lap time - and then I try to beat that lap time!

You can manage some playability - but I wish the game didn't look so awful. Does anyone know when they will reinstate oculus support?

It isn't removed.

SMS PC Lead
01-07-2015, 16:21
Wow, lower than i expected, but with the ti I'm running a fair bit higher than that now and it's good.

Also could you please confirm that nvidia dsr resolution is ignored by rift and I'll stop wasting my time with it.

The settings I posted are a good starting point - in the next patch there is now a separate Oculus Graphics Config (XML) and the performance options I posted are the current defaults when you first run with a Rift.
(The reason for the separate config is to allow people to run with with different VR perf settings, retaining their normal 2D performance options so you don't continually have to change the options when switching)

DSR is ignored in Rift mode.

TurdSmurf
01-07-2015, 16:54
my Dk is not working since the new patch is any 1 else having this or figured it out pls help iv got a rift race tonite :(

Kamel
01-07-2015, 16:58
Install 6.0.1 runtime, use direct mode and no FXAA.

If it still doesn't work you should describe your problem and not just say "not working"

TurdSmurf
01-07-2015, 17:01

If it still doesn't work you should describe your problem and not just say "not working"

i just got it working by deleting the dx11config file but its playing in oculus like a strobe light ? any ideas

TurdSmurf
01-07-2015, 17:04

i just got it working by deleting the dx11config file but its playing in oculus like a strobe light ? any ideas
just tried what you suggest and direct mode comes up with mad block colors flashing in oculus :(

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 17:08
That's a good idea, will this be a separate Oculus patch or just the next full one?

ALso found out, anybody using Precision X, t forces some sort of adaptive vsync, so even when using the rift it's locked to max of 60FPS, which means in the rift you only get 37. unloaded precision X and all OK again. So definitely worth a check.

For reference I have spent another couple of hours playing with settings and using my reference of Monza with 30 FA cars I'm right on the limit at the start and then fine through the laps. May be useful to you and other people looking for where to go.

Anti aliasing I chose MSAA over ds2x as I preferred the look, same performance hit, ds2m and high reduced grid performance about 15-20 frames.

Aldo Zampatti
01-07-2015, 17:13
Trevor, lower the envmap as per SMS PC Lead suggestions. You'll see little benefit with the Rift on and performance benefit is quite high :)

Mahjik
01-07-2015, 17:13
Have you tried these:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33565-Oculus-DK2-Feedback-on-patch-2-and-new-problem-for-me-which-I-can-t-solve/page2&p=1025563#post1025563

TurdSmurf
01-07-2015, 17:17
yeah still no good :(

Ramjet
01-07-2015, 17:34
I have same downgrade in performance as all you guys here sadly ~ previously I had most graphical options on highest settings with High AA and Ultra SMAA, shadows & blur off with reflections & env mapping Low and my FPS was really high except for some slowdown at race starts and few tracks like Azure. Very surprised actually but it seems is result of Direct mode and the new sdk so hopefully next patch gets us going properly again.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 18:21
Trevor, lower the envmap as per SMS PC Lead suggestions. You'll see little benefit with the Rift on and performance benefit is quite high :)

Thanks Aldo, I'll try that although im getting almost 100% 75+fps at that but maybe then i could turn someyhing else up.

What setsthe draw distance as pop up is quite disconcerting at those settings? Or do you have another suggestion to increase in it's place, maybe aa?

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 18:34
just tried what you suggest and direct mode comes up with mad block colors flashing in oculus :(

Have you deleted the graphics config and installed 0.6.0.0 or later as requested?

And you have no machine specs in your sig so hard to help.

Aldo Zampatti
01-07-2015, 18:53
Threads merged

Aldo Zampatti
01-07-2015, 18:54
Thanks Aldo, I'll try that although im getting almost 100% 75+fps at that but maybe then i could turn someyhing else up.

What setsthe draw distance as pop up is quite disconcerting at those settings? Or do you have another suggestion to increase in it's place, maybe aa?

If you have near 100%, I would get TRACK DETAIL up first to avoid pop-up which could be distracting

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 19:14
If you have near 100%, I would get TRACK DETAIL up first to avoid pop-up which could be distracting

Great, I'll do that next then. Thanks.

Is there a link anywhere about what those various performance settings actually do? Then i can fiddle knowing what to expect.

TurdSmurf
01-07-2015, 19:22
Have you deleted the graphics config and installed 0.6.0.0 or later as requested?

And you have no machine specs in your sig so hard to help.

yeah tried 0.6 and i using 6.1 now
8150FX @ 4.2
16 gig vengance mem
2x msi r9 290x 8 gig each in crosxfire
win 8.1
DK 2
G27 with full size MOMO drift rim

i have got it going but its flashing like a strobe light the screen in the oculus is thats in extended mode
if i put into direct mode i get big block colors like an old channel 4 off air pic type ?

ReneB
01-07-2015, 19:43
I've done everything suggested now - final piece was adding the -skipcrowds command. Definitely helped.

It runs smooth about 45 seconds after the race starts...but as soon as there are any cars near you it becomes completely unplayable and I get a horrible nausea.

It was working perfectly before with almost everything on. Granted I only have a i7 4770 with 16gb of RAM and a lowly GTX770. Might be time to get a Titan or a budget friendly 980ti. Until then - is there a way to revert back to the older working version?

OculusLou
01-07-2015, 20:37
I have a random issue now with the new patch where when driving in the rift whenever I spin out or someone passes me the camera bounces back to the behind the car view from the helmet cam then back again once I correct myself. Its really jarring and odd, anyone else?

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 20:51
yeah tried 0.6 and i using 6.1 now
8150FX @ 4.2
16 gig vengance mem
2x msi r9 290x 8 gig each in crosxfire
win 8.1
DK 2
G27 with full size MOMO drift rim

i have got it going but its flashing like a strobe light the screen in the oculus is thats in extended mode
if i put into direct mode i get big block colors like an old channel 4 off air pic type ?

Definitely needs direct, does the rift demo work?

Have you deleted the graphics config file and put all setingswto lowest?

I've done everything suggested now - final piece was adding the -skipcrowds command. Definitely helped.

It runs smooth about 45 seconds after the race starts...but as soon as there are any cars near you it becomes completely unplayable and I get a horrible nausea.

It was working perfectly before with almost everything on. Granted I only have a i7 4770 with 16gb of RAM and a lowly GTX770. Might be time to get a Titan or a budget friendly 980ti. Until then - is there a way to revert back to the older working version?
Just try some sli
slightly lower settings, mines ok now, can't say I'm happy with it but its ok, but certain i will be next patch.

I have a random issue now with the new patch where when driving in the rift whenever I spin out or someone passes me the camera bounces back to the behind the car view from the helmet cam then back again once I correct myself. Its really jarring and odd, anyone else?

Nope never had that.

MrTulip
01-07-2015, 20:55

I saw this once when I spun close to wall, but that was the only time. Having cars around me or getting passed worked alright.

OculusLou
01-07-2015, 21:02
I saw this once when I spun close to wall, but that was the only time. Having cars around me or getting passed worked alright.

Yeah I thought it might be rift camera related, but nope. I cant seem to win I have just finally got it working good and now It wants to randomly change cameras on me.

LOST IN VR
01-07-2015, 21:39
Hey Guys,

after updating on patch 2.0 and oculus DK2 runtime 0.6.0.0. / 0.6.0.1. , i got a lot trouble :/
game starts in window (although in settings its still on "fullscreen") no rift detected in window mode...
if the game starts correct in fullscreen, it looks correct and i can drive without any problems BUT if i chose to go back to the mainmenue i got a frozen screen. hearing the sound of the mainmenue but still see the frozen screen.
2.0 makes the game unplayable for me :/ before this patch the game works for me without a problem - it was awesome ... any ideas / solutions ?

TurdSmurf
01-07-2015, 21:47
Hey Guys,

after updating on patch 2.0 and oculus DK2 runtime 0.6.0.0. / 0.6.0.1. , i got a lot trouble :/
game starts in window (although in settings its still on "fullscreen") no rift detected in window mode...
if the game starts correct in fullscreen, it looks correct and i can drive without any problems BUT if i chose to go back to the mainmenue i got a frozen screen. hearing the sound of the mainmenue but still see the frozen screen.

2.0 makes the game unplayable for me :/ before this patch the game works for me without a problem - it was awesome ... any ideas / solutions ?

same problem :(

DericLee
01-07-2015, 22:10
Before the update the game ran pretty good, not perfect, but good, and with graphical settings up pretty high.

After the update it was a horrible juddery mess, even on the lowest possible settings.

MY problem was SLI.

As soon as I turned SLI off, BOOM judder gone and smooth as butter.

I have 780 Ti's, but with SLI on, PCars is a mess in direct mode.

Running one card I have to keep the settings almost all the way down, but damn it's perfect(outside or resolution any how :p).

TLDR: TURN OFF SLI IF YOU ARE HAVING PERFORMANCE ISSUES WITH DIRECT MODE.

dw123
01-07-2015, 22:15
Accepting the required settings hit needed to get it running smoothly, I think you've made some great progress with the VR implementation with this patch. It was awkward before, but VR is now very much a viable option - just the removal of the 3-4 frames lag it had pre-patch makes a world of difference, and the basics of a working GUI make it much more usable for multiplayer.

I was wondering if you could share any insight into the Asynchronous Timewarp development so far. My understanding watching it demoed by Oculus is that it should effectively dissociate the game rendering framerate with at least the rotational-head-tracking frame rate, so even if you're outputting 56-and-a-half fps, it gets reprojected using tracking data at a consistent synced 75 fps regardless.
That would presumably instantly solve the panning judder effect when the game drops from 75 down to 37, and we could turn on as much eye candy as we liked and still have consistent 75 fps panning even if the game runs slower.

Also, any progress/experiements with the VR holy-grail - Positional Asynchronous Timewarp? (Is that actually available in the SDK yet? Or are they still internally testing?)

LOST IN VR
01-07-2015, 22:48
same problem :(

oh my bad - i was still in extended mode - now, with direct mode it looks like it works for me. BUT i got the same FPS-problems. training without a other car 50 FPS, race with AI and 16 cars only 37FPS :/

brownie-uk7
01-07-2015, 23:53
After tuning down the settings then it plays fantastically for me. Almost constant 75fps apart from when big bandstands are on screen.

Latency is super low which is probably the best of all the changes but the hud now makes it possible to actually race and know what the hell is going on. In my top 3 VR games.

I have turned down all settings with textured on high and PP on which looks pretty good to me.

Playing on gtx970.

dw123
02-07-2015, 00:02
Latency is super low which is probably the best of all the changes but the hud now makes it possible to actually race and know what the hell is going on. In my top 3 VR games.
I agree, the jarring 3-4 frames of latency that was there pre-patch has been brought down to a proper VR-worthy minimum with the move to Direct-to-Rift mode. It has become a far more natural VR experience now... those 40-50ms extra time to respond should improve my driving too hopefully :-)

Only real issue I'm having so far is that once I've gone into a race, exiting back to the menu again leaves the race view imprinted on the rift until I start another race, and means I have to take it off and use the mirrored window instead, which carries on working. Certainly not that big a deal, but something that will hopefully be fixed next time around.

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 00:33
I think a LOT of people don't realise you need to change to direct. Not sure it's been publicised.

dw123
02-07-2015, 01:11
I think a LOT of people don't realise you need to change to direct. Not sure it's been publicised.
True, I think in general SMS could stand to be a lot more explicit about all things that change, and exactly what is going on behind each feature - what they were, and what they got changed to and why...
There certainly are plenty of bugs, but I think there are far more cases of simple misunderstanding. For lack of any clear information to the contrary, it seems entirely understandable that so many people just complain about things they don't understand as being bugs. If it's not a bug, we need to be told it's not a bug and shown why. Can't really chalk up someone not being given the information in the first place as ignorance or moaning.

So yeah, to anyone reading... Patch 2.0 requires Oculus SDK 0.6.0.1, and for you to run in Direct-to-Rift mode to get the best experience. Extended mode is depreciated - stop using it for Project Cars.

Buster0083
02-07-2015, 01:27
Cross posting here from WMD to bundle my experience in with everyone and hopefully add to the combined knowledge. I've been using the DK2 for about 9 months quite happily; prior to v2.0 I was limiting my FPS to 75 and having no issues.

As for v2.0 and 0.6.0.1, though, I'm still suffering a drop sufficient to make it difficult to play. I can't vouch for actual FPS - I've never managed to get Riva Tuner to display the counter in the Rift properly, irrespective of screen position - but I've gone from what was at least close to constant 75 to now something with substantial judder; if I had to guess it would be in the 35-45FPS range. Trees seem to exacerbate it, as does weather. I've tried disabling Aero, winding back my settings - which was mostly on LOW or OFF anyway - and trying all AA combinations both through pCars and nVidia control panel.

All of my settings are comfortably under the recommended settings screen cap and I've had -skipcrowds in my command line the whole time; I've also attempted using exactly the recommended settings in case they hand off to the GPU from the CPU at higher than where mine were - no joy there either.

I await more suggestions with interest :)

Ramjet
02-07-2015, 04:29
hey Buster I am in same boat as you with performance, just about to start another round of changing stuff & testing again. I see in your sig your nvidia driver is quite old so if you haven't already you can try the 350.12 or the latest hotfix driver 353.38. Oculus recommend 350.12 but actually I got the same perf on both drivers.

Buster0083
02-07-2015, 04:51
My apologies, Ramjet- haven't updated that part of my sig in a while. I'm running 350.12

Ramjet
02-07-2015, 04:56
I just totally disabled Sli and got some smooth racing with all settings turned right down - before I only had single GPU selected in the nvidia profile, so could be as someone else found that Sli ( and also crossfire ? ) is the issue and we need new sli profile or some other fix to get dual gpu efficiency back.

Need to do some more testing but at least looks more promising now ! :)

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 07:06
Cross posting here from WMD to bundle my experience in with everyone and hopefully add to the combined knowledge. I've been using the DK2 for about 9 months quite happily; prior to v2.0 I was limiting my FPS to 75 and having no issues.

As for v2.0 and 0.6.0.1, though, I'm still suffering a drop sufficient to make it difficult to play. I can't vouch for actual FPS - I've never managed to get Riva Tuner to display the counter in the Rift properly, irrespective of screen position - but I've gone from what was at least close to constant 75 to now something with substantial judder; if I had to guess it would be in the 35-45FPS range. Trees seem to exacerbate it, as does weather. I've tried disabling Aero, winding back my settings - which was mostly on LOW or OFF anyway - and trying all AA combinations both through pCars and nVidia control panel.

All of my settings are comfortably under the recommended settings screen cap and I've had -skipcrowds in my command line the whole time; I've also attempted using exactly the recommended settings in case they hand off to the GPU from the CPU at higher than where mine were - no joy there either.

I await more suggestions with interest :)

I can tell you it's 37 fps, even if uou are getting 68 your rift is only displaying 37, locked. Until you can get to that magic 75 then all good again.

All we can do until the next oculus patch is to keep lowering settings until that is reached. Your 970 should be able to get that at some low level.

I finslly got mine right last night and had my first race since the patch and it was excellent. But extremely low settings for a 980ti.

Buster0083
02-07-2015, 07:09
I can tell you it's 37 fps, even if uou are getting 68 your rift is only displaying 37, locked. Until you can get to that magic 75 then all good again.

All we can do until the next oculus patch is to keep lowering settings until that is reached. Your 970 should be able to get that at some low level.

I finslly got mine right last night and had my first race since the patch and it was excellent. But extremely low settings for a 980ti.

Yeah thanks - having read the rest of the thread rather than skimming it I see that now. I think I'm bottlenecked by my CPU, rather than the 970 not being able to push 75FPS. I'll wait til the next runtime :)

Rafport
02-07-2015, 09:25
Yesterday night i tried better, as i wrote the removing of xml config file helped for me. I confirm than the stutter was improved in some way in my pc, respect how bad it ran in my pc just updating to 2.0, but now i think this improvement was just because resetting graphic parameters to default leave some effects i used before. And, maybe, a "lucky" track used for test, some tracks are much heavier than others. I can confirm the game run much worst than before the patch, i don't know if it was a bit under 75 and i don't care, but now for reach 75 fps in most situation i had to turn off a lot of stuff.

If can be useful for someone, as i spend a lot of time trying any single parameter, i post what i discovered. The suggestet parameters, with my hardware, gave a very poor performance with load of stuttering. I noticed than some effects after the 2.0 patch kill frame rate more than others:

1) Any anti alias or filter kill my card, i used lot of stuff before now is all off.
2) Texture resolution and car details don't seem change much my frame rate, so i put both to max so finally you can back to a respectable cockpit. With my great surprise, this doesn't seems to make big difference neither with lot of cars on screen.
3) All post fx don't change much so it's all to on/max except vignetting (personal taste, i leave out HUD i find it horrible, nothing is much better).
4) Any reflection kill the card, so all off or minimum.
5) Grass detail kill the card.
6) Crowd kill the card.
7) Particle detail doesn't change much, i like it but at the end i turned off.
8) Track details influence the distance of the rendering: at the end i had to put to minimum, because when some added filter like reflection when it rain, it kill frame rate. Most of time, or depending to track, can be set with higher values.

The weight of any effect don't seems to be exchangeable, so putting cars and texture to minimum doesn't means you can increase mirroring or put anti alias, just one of this "bad" effects drop my framerate under 75. In my pc, performance with those settings are close to set everything to minimum (and stutter more or less in the same moments) but at least doesn't seems to play Live for Speed, the minimum detail level is really unacceptable. With this settings i can play with 18 cars in Monza with just some moment of stuttering during the start with most of weathers, and can run without stutter when raining if not too many cars are on screen. In very heavy tracks like Monte Carlo, the game stutter with or without those details, i simply can't run (using 2.0 patch...) with my hardware.

Rafport
02-07-2015, 09:38
Ah, i forgot to say than the black frame appear when your turn on... SMAA or FXAA, one of this two i don't remember now. So the fact removing the xml config file solve for that user, maybe was just the fact it reset their value to off.

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 09:53
Ah, i forgot to say than the black frame appear when your turn on... SMAA or FXAA, one of this two i don't remember now. So the fact removing the xml config file solve for that user, maybe was just the fact it reset their value to off.

It's FXaa, but I completely agree with your findings, AA absolutely kills the FPS. I was running DS4x and SMAA and now can onkly run MSAA and reflections seem to be the biggest framerate killer, along with environment map, turning that to low made a very big difference..

Naz
02-07-2015, 10:00
Just thought I'd give an update since my posts in page 2 of this thread. I have gotten nice smooth Rift game play now, as long as I do all of the following (PC Specs in signature - using latest non-beta NVidia drivers and Oculus Rift 0.6.0.1 runtime);

Use the recommended graphics settings as provided by the Devs in page 4 of this thread. If I move any single one of them above these recommended specs, performance degrades to an unplayable festival of judder.
Use the -skipcrowds launch option, if not used, the festival of judder returns.
Disable SLI - single card good, SLI = severe judder. I have to apologise for my earlier findings yesterday with this one; I did test with and without SLI yesterday with no discernible difference in performance, but I must have mistakenly failed to disable SLI or something because it certainly makes a big difference today (as others have also reported).
Clear day -- even light rain brings on the severe judder.
Run a race of no more than 18 cars on the grid (this seems to be the max on my machine)

It runs beautifully smooth at these settings, so congrats to the Devs in that we are certainly on the road to successful VR in this game. I will probably regularly switch between the older and current Rift runtimes as Assetto Corsa and Elite prefer the older ones...but whilst that can be a pain, it certainly falls into the "first world problem" category :) ... no biggie as its pre-release hardware after all.

I don't quite get why SLI degrades performance so much now in PCars when it clearly did the opposite pre-patch and continues to do so with AC/Elite with the older runtime (no SLI in these other titles make those games unplayable on the Rift for me) .. perhaps direct mode doesn't like SLI yet, so hopefully Oculus and/or Nvidia can sort that out sooner rather than later.

Anyway, good luck for anyone else still trying to get better performance and a big thankyou to all contributors in this thread for showing me the way. Hoping we can eventually turn up some up of the graphical goodies in the DK2 sometime soon, although I have the feeling I'll be buying the biggest Nvidia card(s) available at the time the Rift retail kit goes on sale!

:D:D

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 10:50
Just thought I'd give an update since my posts in page 2 of this thread. I have gotten nice smooth Rift game play now, as long as I do all of the following (PC Specs in signature - using latest non-beta NVidia drivers and Oculus Rift 0.6.0.1 runtime);

Use the recommended graphics settings as provided by the Devs in page 4 of this thread. If I move any single one of them above these recommended specs, performance degrades to an unplayable festival of judder.
Use the -skipcrowds launch option, if not used, the festival of judder returns.
Disable SLI - single card good, SLI = severe judder. I have to apologise for my earlier findings yesterday with this one; I did test with and without SLI yesterday with no discernible difference in performance, but I must have mistakenly failed to disable SLI or something because it certainly makes a big difference today (as others have also reported).
Clear day -- even light rain brings on the severe judder.
Run a race of no more than 18 cars on the grid (this seems to be the max on my machine)

It runs beautifully smooth at these settings, so congrats to the Devs in that we are certainly on the road to successful VR in this game. I will probably regularly switch between the older and current Rift runtimes as Assetto Corsa and Elite prefer the older ones...but whilst that can be a pain, it certainly falls into the "first world problem" category :) ... no biggie as its pre-release hardware after all.

I don't quite get why SLI degrades performance so much now in PCars when it clearly did the opposite pre-patch and continues to do so with AC/Elite with the older runtime (no SLI in these other titles make those games unplayable on the Rift for me) .. perhaps direct mode doesn't like SLI yet, so hopefully Oculus and/or Nvidia can sort that out sooner rather than later.

Anyway, good luck for anyone else still trying to get better performance and a big thankyou to all contributors in this thread for showing me the way. Hoping we can eventually turn up some up of the graphical goodies in the DK2 sometime soon, although I have the feeling I'll be buying the biggest Nvidia card(s) available at the time the Rift retail kit goes on sale!

:D:D

yep, it's looking like the commercial version is going to need SLI'd 980Tis to be acceptable, better start saving for the next one and a new motherboard:)

Rafport
02-07-2015, 10:59
Yes, you own a 980ti anyway, i own "just" a 970 with a bit of overclock :) So it fits.

Anyway the fact with a card as yours now you can't play with the detail i was using before the update with mine, it's absurd. If the game can't run with a decent detail neither with a 980ti, to implement the direct mode doesn't seem a good idea at all (a part the fact we're light years over the Oculus specs for a flawless experience than should be the reference for vr). If it's an experimental feature, give the direct mode support as an option so anyone choose how to play. It's true now latency is less, but it's true also than lot of satisfied Oculus players now can't play. I can't also downgrade, i tried (i own a digital copy from Steam).

So as customer i'm upset, this is not right.

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 11:07
Yes, you own a 980ti anyway, i own "just" a 970 with a bit of overclock :) So it fits.

Anyway the fact with a card as yours now you can't play with the detail i was using before the update with mine, it's absurd. If the game can't run with a decent detail neither with a 980ti, to implement the direct mode doesn't seem a good idea at all (a part the fact we're light years over the Oculus specs for a flawless experience than should be the reference for vr). If it's an experimental feature, give the direct mode support as an option so anyone choose how to play. It's true now latency is less, but it's true also than lot of satisfied Oculus players now can't play. I can't also downgrade, i tried (i own a digital copy from Steam).

So as customer i'm upset, this is not right.

I did want the HUD but have to admit I'm very disappointed with current performance, but high hopes, as you say, we are way over the Oculus specs, I think the next patch will fix a lot of this, I'm quite hopeful for it. There is a rumor we should be able to run the same settings in the rift as in a 2D, which isn't far off where I was prior to patch 2.

It is a shame though that I can't get the same quality of view now with my 980Ti as I could get 2 weeks ago with my 970. That was running a fair bit higher than my 980 is. But as I've said before, we have chosen dev technology, at least it's still working.

I think part of the problem is I was never getting, or rarely, 75FPS but my eyes could barely tell between 50 and 75. Now the difference between 37 and 75 is massive and can't be ignored.

Interesting point about the option, iracing does that, and they recommend extended, maybe for exactly this reason. There's a difference between doing something that is technically right, which direct mode absolutely is the way forwards, and making it acceptable to use.

Antidamage
02-07-2015, 11:11
I'd like to report the only bug I've found: when driving the BAC Mono with rainy weather enabled, the water stops against the rather distant hud plane rather than the visor of the helmet. This effect used to look awesome, now it's a bit weird. Even if the previous behaviour was unintentionally awesome, please restore it. Put that water up in your face.

Naz
02-07-2015, 11:36
I did want the HUD but have to admit I'm very disappointed with current performance, but high hopes, as you say, we are way over the Oculus specs, I think the next patch will fix a lot of this, I'm quite hopeful for it. There is a rumor we should be able to run the same settings in the rift as in a 2D, which isn't far off where I was prior to patch 2.

It is a shame though that I can't get the same quality of view now with my 980Ti as I could get 2 weeks ago with my 970. That was running a fair bit higher than my 980 is. But as I've said before, we have chosen dev technology, at least it's still working.

I think part of the problem is I was never getting, or rarely, 75FPS but my eyes could barely tell between 50 and 75. Now the difference between 37 and 75 is massive and can't be ignored.

Interesting point about the option, iracing does that, and they recommend extended, maybe for exactly this reason. There's a difference between doing something that is technically right, which direct mode absolutely is the way forwards, and making it acceptable to use.

Yes, it is rather frustrating to have to play at reduced settings now (particularly given I've had to disable SLI...this big beautiful 2nd card just sitting there idle!)... but I think this patch is (hopefully) the first step to the game fully supporting the future Oculus Rift .. it may mean a temporary step backwards now (it certainly appears that way) for benefits a little down the track as work continues on it.

I hang my hat on the fact it remains a development kit and this sort of thing is to be expected to some degree (as disappointing and frustrating it may be at times).

Of course, I may just be a nave fool.

:D

TheDoctor46
02-07-2015, 11:39
Of course, I may just be a nave fool.

:D
Probably :rolleyes: The alternative would be OR support for the release candidate ;)

SMS PC Lead
02-07-2015, 11:53
Only real issue I'm having so far is that once I've gone into a race, exiting back to the menu again leaves the race view imprinted on the rift until I start another race, and means I have to take it off and use the mirrored window instead, which carries on working. Certainly not that big a deal, but something that will hopefully be fixed next time around.

I have fixed this issue today (Frozen image on the Rift when exiting the race) and the fix will make it into the next patch.

SMS PC Lead
02-07-2015, 11:54
It's FXaa, but I completely agree with your findings, AA absolutely kills the FPS. I was running DS4x and SMAA and now can onkly run MSAA and reflections seem to be the biggest framerate killer, along with environment map, turning that to low made a very big difference..

The Opaque/blackness bug when running with Rift and FXAA has been fixed and will also make it into the next patch.

TurdSmurf
02-07-2015, 12:24
what about amd users i cant get this game to work now since the last patch it either flicker really fast
like a strobe light in extended mode the oculus screen does or direct mode i just get big blocks of colors in the rift pls help

8150FX @ 4.2
16 gig vengence mem
sabertooth mobo
2 x msi r9 290x, 8 gig each in crosxfire
dk2
win 8.1
g27 with full size MOMO drift rim

SMS PC Lead
02-07-2015, 13:08
The next patch now also adds a launch option "-vrnomirror" - this disables the desktop window (mirror). It gains around 4% performance, which maybe helpful for some people with marginal judder.

TheDoctor46
02-07-2015, 13:22
@SMS PC Lead: is it possible to release a hotfix or do steam patches also need to get some kind of certification pass which makes a hotfix impossible?

Nevil Wigbels
02-07-2015, 13:47
The next patch now also adds a launch option "-vrnomirror" - this disables the desktop window (mirror). It gains around 4% performance, which maybe helpful for some people with marginal judder.

Is it vice versa possible to display the onboard view while driving on the desktop window (mirror) for recording purposes?
Or is there perhaps another way to record gameplay in Direct to Rift mode?

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 14:05
Also please confirm that queue ahead (0.6.0.1) is in the next patch?

I think mirroring the rift 3d display to desktop would absolutely kill performance wouldn't it.

TurdSmurf
02-07-2015, 16:18

I think mirroring the rift 3d display to desktop would absolutely kill performance wouldn't it.

thats what im thinking id rather have it working in top graphics flat out in my rift than slow and crap graphics and have it on my screen aswell.
maybe an option for both at a decent setting for when friends are round and watching you race but still id prefer all good in rift proper over anything

pls fix for amd soon as cant play since new patch !! :(

oliver2000
02-07-2015, 16:24
hi guys,

I am reading myself through tons of huge posts here but somehow all confuses me even more and I hope somebody can point me to the right direction. I used to drive my DK2 smooth like an angel before and worked with the rift on/off option perfectly.

Now how ever I am to stupid to get it work at all. I tried extended mode, etc. and I get either stutter like crazy (unplayable) or I get the map and HUD on my main screen and on Rift the same but no car. I am really upset about this because it was working so well before. Why somebody would release a patch if things go worse? I am a bit confused and this rendered pCars useless to me.

Can somebody point me into the right direction what is now the right way to setup the Rift DK2 with pCars since the patch is out?

:o I want my old version back....uurgs!

SMS PC Lead
02-07-2015, 16:59

Queue ahead (0.6.0.1 SDK update) is in the next patch. Mirroring the rift 3d display back to the desktop window should be possible to do without a significant performance hit - I'll see what I can do !

ReneB
02-07-2015, 17:07
Queue ahead (0.6.0.1 SDK update) is in the next patch. Mirroring the rift 3d display back to the desktop window should be possible to do without a significant performance hit - I'll see what I can do !

Great news! Does this mean the automatic dump to 37fps when your frame rate drops below 75 will be resolved in direct mode?

Thanks for all the hard work BTW!

capetuso
02-07-2015, 19:13
Just tried it a little and it is really good. Finally smooth tracking, this is what we have been enjoying in Assetto Corsa, iRacing and LFS, and finally it is here.
My system struggles at the begging of the races with all the cars around and sometimes after the start but it is awesome.

I have a problem tough. My monitor has a resolution of 1400x900 and part of the window is out of frame. It is not a big problem but I can't move the mouse to reach that part of the Oculus screen either. Is there a way to make the window in the monitor to fit the screen?
Thanks in advance.

oliver2000
02-07-2015, 19:33
Just tried it a little and it is really good. Finally smooth tracking, this is what we have been enjoying in Assetto Corsa, iRacing and LFS, and finally it is here.
My system struggles at the begging of the races with all the cars around and sometimes after the start but it is awesome.

I dont get it, I have same system specs. as you and mine was before the patch perfect. Now I dont get it work anymore. Are you on runtime 6.00. or 6.01? Do you use direct mode or extended? anyhting else you have done to make it work?

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 19:40
Great news! Does this mean the automatic dump to 37fps when your frame rate drops below 75 will be resolved in direct mode?

Thanks for all the hard work BTW!

I'm not sure it will but 20% Performance improvement should make 75fps easier to. Achieve

surtic86
02-07-2015, 19:54

Thanks for your Informations in this Thread!

I want it now :)

oliver2000
02-07-2015, 21:47
okay I got it now. Direct Mode and Runtime 6.0.1 works so far. when I switch really everything off I get even a smooth image back and can drive again without problems....

BUT I dont get what is the advantage now??? I used to have before a solid 75FPS image and smooth game with almost all options on high, the game was running fine before.... Now with the new version I have smooth image but I have to switch everything off or low. Where is the advantage in this patch? (only RIFT connected of course not the other features)

Unless the next patch for 6.0.1 brings a massive improvement the game got way worse for me and not better. Same system dropped from smooth 75fps with all high to smooth 75fps with all low.... :confused:

The direct mode is nice but I preferred before to switch my Rift on/off but have better graphics. thats the only thing I can see right now...

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 21:59
You've nearly got it:)

What has been gained is the hud and greatly reduced lag with direct mode.

What has been lost is a little fps, probably the hud, but more the ability to display 48 or 71 fps. So now you either get lovely 75 or mega juddery 37, ANYTHING under 75 is displayed as 37. That's a restruction of both direct and i think even more the new runtimes

However the next patxh will be a huge 21% or so increase from what I've read, thats like going from a 970 to a 980, so I'm fairly confident you will have most of your old performance back with hud and the reduced lag and I'm sure lots of other stuff, like maybe the mirroring.

oliver2000
02-07-2015, 22:09
Thanks TrevorAustin, I did read in the meanwhile all 11 pages here :) so now I am up to point with the infos. A little bit frustrating for now but I keep the hope up. Are there any infos from the devs when we can expect the next patch? (are we talking weeks or months?) thanks to everybody for all the feedback, this helped of course a lot....

Rafport
02-07-2015, 22:36
Anyone noticed low polygon wheels in the rear wheels of open wheel cars? I was so concentrate with the stuttering, and the settings, than never turn back with the DK2 seeing my car. I did today with a Lotus 49 and saw two untextured hexagon instead of the wheels! In settings, as i said in previous post, i'm using car detail on Ultra so should not be this the cause. I tried to push high some other details (even with stuttering, just to see if was connected to some other parameter because i had all higher before this patch) but squared wheels remains.

I would know if it's something on my installation gone wrong, or in yours do the same. Thanks

TurdSmurf
02-07-2015, 22:40
Oculus Rift dont work for AMD users since new patch i have tried everything and cant get it working and the posts i have put up about this dont get replys they just get quickly taken down!!! any 1 else ??? also Dirt Rally is the same!! patchs came out same time for both games that were supposed to make them more oculus friendly and everything better but instead they are rendered unplayable and no 1 has answers this is so wrong i know nvidia have it working but no mention of any amd in any posts about oculus and these games? why is that ?

Alt101
03-07-2015, 02:27
However the next patxh will be a huge 21% or so increase from what I've read, thats like going from a 970 to a 980, so I'm fairly confident you will have most of your old performance back with hud and the reduced lag and I'm sure lots of other stuff, like maybe the mirroring.

On any graphical settings my 970's are running at 35% usage. I feel pretty confident that this is the real problem here. Many other people are experiencing the same GPU usage issue. When our GPUs can run in SLI again with a proper load, I'm sure we'll be able to play on high or ultra again. I'm currently getting better performance with my second 970 disabled and running on a single card than when I try to play in SLI

mshagg
03-07-2015, 03:55
On any graphical settings my 970's are running at 35% usage. I feel pretty confident that this is the real problem here. Many other people are experiencing the same GPU usage issue. When our GPUs can run in SLI again with a proper load, I'm sure we'll be able to play on high or ultra again. I'm currently getting better performance with my second 970 disabled and running on a single card than when I try to play in SLI

Indeed, low GPU usage seems to be prevalent with the move to the new SDK and direct mode, but this is seemingly an issue with the oculus side of things more so than the game. Devs on the oculus forums have gone into it in some detail, but essentially the application spends a lot of time sitting around waiting for the runtime to do its thing.

So the pCARS devs are right to tell us to run awful visual settings (let's be honest - it does look terrible using those recommended settings and even then can only sustain 75fps in single car prac), because the oculus runtime is seemingly a massive bottleneck when running in direct mode. In extended mode with high detail settings and high AA this was quite simply the best looking game on the DK2. It's quite a shame that SMS render team's massively hard fought gains in performance go to waste in direct mode. If you look on the oculus forums you'll see devs who go from 110fps at full GPU usage to 37.5fps and 50% GPU usage simply as a result of submitting the frame to the rift... oculus' response is "optimise your app" :/

Hopefully queue ahead resolves some of this but it seems strange to me that oculus spend all their time talking about the importance of hardware and maximising FPS when their part of the software represents a massive bottleneck that leaves existing GPUs sitting around half utlised :/

TrevorAustin
03-07-2015, 07:38
Anybody checked their cpu against gpu use?

There's a guy on the other thread running maxed settings without stuttering on a 6 core 5820. Maybe the new runtime is killing the cpu.

kusk0r
03-07-2015, 09:17
Dual gtx 680 SLI here. Pre-patch 90fps with extended mode, after patch 37fps with 50% gpu use on both gpus. SLI off produces the same fps. So the rig can produce more than 75fps but I am still stuck in the 30s.

oliver2000
03-07-2015, 10:45
quite honest, the game just looks now terrible and I feel like years back in time with this setting. I don't care much if this is now more the fault from SMS or Oculus Team but I would have rather waited to add this into the patch for the day it is solved complete. This took complete the fun out of the game and I drive now again AC instead pCars until this is solved. I prefer AC with all high and smooth driving as terrible graphics and smooth driving in pCars now. I think it would have made more sense to wait until release actually a better version for the Rift instead of releasing a half version.

Nevil Wigbels
03-07-2015, 11:04
quite honest, the game just looks now terrible and I feel like years back in time with this setting. I don't care much if this is now more the fault from SMS or Oculus Team but I would have rather waited to add this into the patch for the day it is solved complete. This took complete the fun out of the game and I drive now again AC instead pCars until this is solved. I prefer AC with all high and smooth driving as terrible graphics and smooth driving in pCars now. I think it would have made more sense to wait until release actually a better version for the Rift instead of releasing a half version.

IMO the game doesn't look terrible compared to before and to be honest I choose smooth tracking over graphics any day.
Also issues were fixed and new issues will be fixed in upcoming releases, but in the end of the day DK2 is still a development kit, so... ;)

oliver2000
03-07-2015, 12:07
IMO the game doesn't look terrible compared to before and to be honest I choose smooth tracking over graphics any day.
Also issues were fixed and new issues will be fixed in upcoming releases, but in the end of the day DK2 is still a development kit, so... ;)

It does look quite bad, and certainly feels like years ago, which is quite a bummer in compare to before. How ever I have no doubt they will work on this and fix it and of course DK2 is anyway not ready yet so we all know this will be great sooner or later. Still I remain with the opinion that this patch was released to early and they should have released it when it is working much better.

MrTulip
03-07-2015, 13:04
Anyone noticed low polygon wheels in the rear wheels of open wheel cars? I was so concentrate with the stuttering, and the settings, than never turn back with the DK2 seeing my car. I did today with a Lotus 49 and saw two untextured hexagon instead of the wheels! In settings, as i said in previous post, i'm using car detail on Ultra so should not be this the cause. I tried to push high some other details (even with stuttering, just to see if was connected to some other parameter because i had all higher before this patch) but squared wheels remains.

I would know if it's something on my installation gone wrong, or in yours do the same. Thanks

Your installation is ok. Cockpit view has always been like that; sparse frame starts behind the seats, even on Ultra.

allensea
03-07-2015, 13:15
This is working far better for me now, so long as I tune my settings to keep a constant 75 fps. One question I do have though - is there any way to mirror the rift while in direct mode. Would be nice if other people could see what is going on.

Rafport
03-07-2015, 13:56
Your installation is ok. Cockpit view has always been like that; sparse frame starts behind the seats, even on Ultra.

Thank you for the reply. I remind of nice rear tires in the past with this game, you sure it was ever been like this? I'm confusing with Assetto Corsa? How can a such advanced racing game use a naked poly hexagon as rear tyre? :confused:

Nevil Wigbels
03-07-2015, 14:18
This is working far better for me now, so long as I tune my settings to keep a constant 75 fps. One question I do have though - is there any way to mirror the rift while in direct mode. Would be nice if other people could see what is going on.

A few pages back ... ;)

Which would be great if possible :)

Alt101
03-07-2015, 16:28
When I am driving every few second s my view hops around in and out of the car. If I am stopped it looks fine, but as soon as I start moving I get this issue. Anyone else seen this?

I am having this problem too. Managed to record a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeH_65M0cNc

MrTulip
03-07-2015, 16:30
Thank you for the reply. I remind of nice rear tires in the past with this game, you sure it was ever been like this? I'm confusing with Assetto Corsa? How can a such advanced racing game use a naked poly hexagon as rear tyre? :confused:

I think you are confusing it with Assetto. Sorry!

I've been using Oculus with pCARS since last October with high end settings, and that was one of the first things I noticed compared to AC. I suppose it is for just to save some resources, and what works with tintops, doesn't work very well with open wheelers.
Not a big deal for me personally, but certainly an immersion breaker when doing "walkabouts" around the car.

tomdfrost
03-07-2015, 17:02

That's exactly what mine is doing too!

I've done a lot of investigating and have come to the following conclusions:

It only happens with runtime 0.6 or above.
The problem isn't specific to the PCars 2.0 patch, it did this on the older version too, the rift runtime seems to cause it.
It only happens when I'm using my G27 steering wheel, if I switch to using an xbox pad the problem goes away.
It seems to happen when there's a lot of feedback coming through the wheel, like when you're driving off track.

I thought it might be some physical interference from the cables of the steering wheel, but I've now separated them completely, plugged the steering wheel power in to a different socket, switched the usb ports around. Nothing seems to affect it.

Rafport
03-07-2015, 17:08
I think you are confusing it with Assetto. Sorry!

I've been using Oculus with pCARS since last October with high end settings, and that was one of the first things I noticed compared to AC. I suppose it is for just to save some resources, and what works with tintops, doesn't work very well with open wheelers.
Not a big deal for me personally, but certainly an immersion breaker when doing "walkabouts" around the car.

Thank you very much for the reply, so i'm confusing. I love open wheel cars and how realistic the wheels does appear in vr, maybe when moving and you turn back. I really hope this feature will be quickly added (at least with Oculus, maybe you can't turn so much to see your rear wheels without). Seeing raw poly structure in a realistic world destroy the immersion, and i doubt it's so heavy to render. Maybe the whole physics of back wheels is missing, because it was not on initial plans someone can watch behind or open wheel cars was not planned (so you can't see the rear wheels anyway). But now, with vr, this should be solved is awful.

tomdfrost
04-07-2015, 13:25

I've fixed it! It was such a low tech problem!
My camera was on my monitor that was on the desk the steering wheel was attached to. When the wheel vibrated it was physically shaking the camera enough to upset everything. I've just moved the camera to the side on top of a speaker that is not touching the desk and the problem has gone!

Antidamage
04-07-2015, 23:31
I've fixed it! It was such a low tech problem!
My camera was on my monitor that was on the desk the steering wheel was attached to. When the wheel vibrated it was physically shaking the camera enough to upset everything. I've just moved the camera to the side on top of a speaker that is not touching the desk and the problem has gone!

Ages ago someone told me to mount my tracking camera on the wall high up, not on the pc screen. Fantastic advice - you can be quite far from the camera before it stops tracking and it eliminates all vibration. On top of that, you can lean in much further. 3M Command sticky pads do the job fine.

TrevorAustin
05-07-2015, 19:42
I've spent all day testing this, and posting results over in this http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34028-oculus-dk2-100-reproducable-issue-very-low-CPU-GPU-usage thread.

This isn't Pcars asking too much of the GPU OR CPU though. I cannot get my GPU over 56% using any combo of pcars settings and the DK2 or my CPU over 60+% Other games, firestrike and (this can max the lot as you would expect) and even PCars in 2D can almost max the CPU using 4K settings and gets the GPU into the 80+%

So there is a problem with how Pcars is talking to the rift, IMO.

I'm going to continue looking for a fix in the other thread.

ReneB
06-07-2015, 17:07
Small update on this issue.

I went back to iracing this week because of the game breaking oculus rift issues in project cars...and played around with their system. Turns out they have the exact same problem when you use direct mode. The frame rate drops to 37 if you can't sustain 75fps. That means it's an oculus sided issue with direct mode. It's also the prime reason why they recommend extended mode as the way to play.

Extended mode needs to still be supported here - that would make project cars playable again.

On a side note - wow it's fun to have clean races in iracing. Never had so much fun in the rift.

TrevorAustin
06-07-2015, 17:38

I went back to iracing this week because of the game breaking oculus rift issues in project cars...and played around with their system. Turns out they have the exact same problem when you use direct mode. The frame rate drops to 37 if you can't sustain 75fps. That means it's an oculus sided issue with direct mode. It's also the prime reason why they recommend extended mode as the way to play.

Extended mode needs to still be supported here - that would make project cars playable again.

On a side note - wow it's fun to have clean races in iracing. Never had so much fun in the rift.

It is, without a doubt. However the very poor gpu usage when using direct mode i don't get in iracing or anything else. 61% max, might as well be running a 960:)

sylas
06-07-2015, 19:45
I am also having problems with patch 2.0. I tried to stop the update, but was forced to accept it from steam. When I am driving every few second s my view hops around in and out of the car. If I am stopped it looks fine, but as soon as I start moving I get this issue. Anyone else seen this? My other problem is that I was running in extended mode before and I had OBS to both show the menu and the in car view on a second screen. I don't seem to be able to show the car view anymore - anyone know how I can do this? I was going to bring my racing cockpit and DK2 into work in two days for a company party (I work at a game developer), but I am not in a usable state now - anyway to roll back?

You would have to acquire a "no steam version" I would guess. Install straight from DVD or ISO or whatever means they deliver it to you, and don't update it...at all. This latest update messed me up something fierce as well, and I was also planning on showing off a demo of the Rift, and Logitech G27 with this game. It's so juddery now, no matter what settings I choose, and frankly I would be embarrassed to show it to anybody at this condition. It's too bad because this game was rock solid with a rift, and now has pretty much sunk lower than Live For Speed...Which by the way is going to be the game I will have to demo for my friends now. I have yet to check the performance on Asseto Corsa or Euro Truck Simulator 2 after the 601 rift runtimes, because this used to be my absolute favorite racing game in the rift, but I've been struggling to make it work better for the last 2 days with no positive results. Time to break out the lesser games to see how they run with all the new changes that have taken place.

Baj
06-07-2015, 19:51
You would have to acquire a "no steam version" I would guess. Install straight from DVD or ISO or whatever means they deliver it to you, and don't update it...at all. This latest update messed me up something fierce as well, and I was also planning on showing off a demo of the Rift, and Logitech G27 with this game. It's so juddery now, no matter what settings I choose, and frankly I would be embarrassed to show it to anybody at this condition. It's too bad because this game was rock solid with a rift, and now has pretty much sunk lower than Live For Speed...Which by the way is going to be the game I will have to demo for my friends now. I have yet to check the performance on Asseto Corsa or Euro Truck Simulator 2 after the 601 rift runtimes, because this used to be my absolute favorite racing game in the rift, but I've been struggling to make it work better for the last 2 days with no positive results. Time to break out the lesser games to see how they run with all the new changes that have taken place.
Assetto Corsa works great for me (PCars is unplayable for me due to low fps) the only problem is you can't load car setups and there is no HUD.

sylas
06-07-2015, 20:04

Who is hailing this as excellent now? Are they Oculus Rift users, or are they playing on a monitor? Please tell us the combination of settings/drivers that they are using. I reverted back to 150.12 Nvidia drivers because the Oculus Readme said to. Is this not accurate? I'm getting horrible judder now, when before the game was running fantastic with the rift and modest settings within the game. Now the judder will not go away no matter how low or off the settings are.

Intel i5 3570k@4.5Ghz, 16GB DDR3@ 2400Mhz, AsRock Extreme 4 Z77, SLI GTX670 Power Edition, 850W OCZ Z series Gold Power Supply, OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, Logitech G27, Oculus Rift DK2

TrevorAustin
06-07-2015, 20:08
Who is hailing this as excellent now? Are they Oculus Rift users, or are they playing on a monitor? Please tell us the combination of settings/drivers that they are using. I reverted back to 150.12 Nvidia drivers because the Oculus Readme said to. Is this not accurate? I'm getting horrible judder now, when before the game was running fantastic with the rift and modest settings within the game. Now the judder will not go away no matter how low or off the settings are.

Intel i5 3570k@4.5Ghz, 16GB DDR3@ 2400Mhz, AsRock Extreme 4 Z77, SLI GTX670 Power Edition, 850W OCZ Z series Gold Power Supply, OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, Logitech G27, Oculus Rift DK2

I've pretty much narrowed down what's wrong in the other thread with the tests, but not a clue how to fix it.

I think ac has the same problem and ets2 works fine in 0.6 but not at all in 0.6.0.1

Ir is very obvious whay the judder is, vsync, and low gpu use, but don't know if the issue is rift runtimes or pc , my feeling is the latter as ets2 and iracing are fine in 0.6 and,gpu use is good.

TrevorAustin
06-07-2015, 20:57
I think good news. This appears to be fixed for the next patch. Even without using the 0.6.0.1 runtime (with the queue ahead feature because it breaks ETS2) I could get the GPU up to 90%+ with very high settings and looked better than ever in PCars 2. And that seems to be the test bed for new DK2 fixes and features, so roll on the next patch.

Antidamage
06-07-2015, 23:14

Extended mode is a hack and it's not ideal, so that probably won't happen. Unfortunately the 37 FPS lock below 75fps seems to be by design - that's always been in there since day 1 with Direct Mode. I have no idea why it exists though.

I suspect everything will be OK again soon. Going to try the 0.6 runtime myself even though I've had no problem with the 0.6.0.1 version.

dw123
07-07-2015, 04:05
Extended mode is a hack and it's not ideal, so that probably won't happen. Unfortunately the 37 FPS lock below 75fps seems to be by design - that's always been in there since day 1 with Direct Mode. I have no idea why it exists though.

I suspect everything will be OK again soon. Going to try the 0.6 runtime myself even though I've had no problem with the 0.6.0.1 version.
The vsync lock by-design is because, with the new layering system included in the 0.6 runtime combined with asyncronous timewarp, the frame rate of the game can be dissociated entirely from the frame rate of the Rift display... effectively, it's as though the game renders to a wrap-around TV at whatever frame rate it can manage, and that wraparound TV gets rendered infront of you at a consistent 75fps regardless of what the game is doing on the TV. That means that the game can run at {57.7/anything}fps, but when you turn your head, the projected image of it will always pan across infront of you at a smooth 75hz. Judder eliminated, even at 20fps! It also allows for other trickery, like the menus and HUD running at 75fps even if the game isn't.
So ultimately the reason for the enforced v-sync is simply because when it's implemented correctly, a game always *will* be running at 75hz, even if it's not.

It does require that the game actually implements async timewarp though, which at the moment Project Cars doesn't appear to be doing. I'm sure it'll come in time though.

Antidamage
07-07-2015, 05:37
Ah! I was wondering why nobody had tried that yet, and they have! Is the re-curvature of the image done on the rift or as a separate thread on the machine?

I notice that the Morpheus does temporal re-projection, which seems like a decent idea too. I assume it means you can change your camera position and skeletal geometry in realtime, but use the same cached texture results until you have a complete new frame ready, then you just fade it in over the remapped frames.

Edit: looked up temporal re-projection and it's not, it's more like interleaved frames. Nothing new there.

TrevorAustin
07-07-2015, 08:09
The vsync lock by-design is because, with the new layering system included in the 0.6 runtime combined with asyncronous timewarp, the frame rate of the game can be dissociated entirely from the frame rate of the Rift display... effectively, it's as though the game renders to a wrap-around TV at whatever frame rate it can manage, and that wraparound TV gets rendered infront of you at a consistent 75fps regardless of what the game is doing on the TV. That means that the game can run at {57.7/anything}fps, but when you turn your head, the projected image of it will always pan across infront of you at a smooth 75hz. Judder eliminated, even at 20fps! It also allows for other trickery, like the menus and HUD running at 75fps even if the game isn't.
So ultimately the reason for the enforced v-sync is simply because when it's implemented correctly, a game always *will* be running at 75hz, even if it's not.

It does require that the game actually implements async timewarp though, which at the moment Project Cars doesn't appear to be doing. I'm sure it'll come in time though.

Can you try and explain that some more? I can't quite understand what you mean. So does the rift guess what the other frames should be to get to 75 and generate them (surely not enough power) or delay them so that it's smooth (loads of lag?) or.........

Sounds a great idea but I can't see how it will work.

Antidamage
07-07-2015, 09:33
Can you try and explain that some more? I can't quite understand what you mean. So does the rift guess what the other frames should be to get to 75 and generate them (surely not enough power) or delay them so that it's smooth (loads of lag?) or.........

Edit: Scratch the old reply. This video covers it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtEXMlQQtI

This feature has been around since 0.3.1?! Why is nobody using it? It also helps understand why the 75 -> 37 frame count issue exists. It's a vsync problem and this would overcome it. Timewarping is something that would even be good on 2d screens.

dw123
07-07-2015, 14:46

Not at it's simplest, no. It's not really anything to do with frame-interpolation, unless we get into positional timewarp.
Basically, the judder you're seeing isn't particularly because the game is running at a low framerate, it's mostly because you are naturally hyper-aware of discontinuities when you turn your head... the actual thing you're looking at could run as low as ~30fps and probably still feel comfortable, provided that rotationally, it slides past your eyes at a nice smooth 75+ framerate.
All the basic timewarp effect is doing is taking whatever the last frame the game rendered was, and slides it slightly one way or the other to account for the small amount your head has rotated since the time that last frame was actually rendered. Frames get brute-force duplicated, but if you get two-or-three refreshes in succession displaying the same exact frame, timewarp will show that same frame at two-or-three slightly different positions, to account for your head movement during that time.

I'm pretty sure this is all handled in software(or on-GPU more likely) by the runtime drivers... I don't think there's any actual computing capacity on the Rift itself, it's just sensors and a screen essentially. It shouldn't add any lag though - it actually should noticably reduce it, as even if you're running a true 75fps, it still updates the position of the image with the latest tracking data *after* the GPU has rendered the frame at the last-known position... and the timewarp reproject should take a millisecond or less, compared to the GPU rendering which takes up the vast bulk of the latency-budget. Timewarp is good even when you can hit the minimum fps.

Basic Async Timewarp should really be the minimum any game implements for a smooth experience.

Positional Async Timewarp is the BIG and complicated one that they're still trying to work out the details of at Oculus I think... basically that adds parallax re-projection into the mix, so it'll use the last frame's z-depth-buffer to do an actual 3D warp based on your new head position. The problem that throws up (and the thing they're trying to work out the best way to solve) is that the last frame won't have any information in it to fill in the gaps behind objects that are revealed if you skew the scene sideways, so there has to be some kind of post-process to extrapolate filler data to fill in those gaps... or you'd end up with extremely distracting black after-echos on the trailing edge of objects every time you moved your head.

But yeah, for the time being, rotation-only Async Timewarp would at least get rid of the dreaded judder. It'd probably be enough for a game like pCars, as you don't typically move your head side-to-side much while racing, you tend to just rotate to look in mirrors and such. Any slight parallax discontinuities would probably be imperceptible unless you were dropping to seriously low framerates.

TrevorAustin
07-07-2015, 15:27
Fantastic explanation, it sounds like I hope it's in a patch very soon:) but the only issue being, if it's done in GPU, isn't that normally already stressed and the reason we have dropped below 75 already?

And your last paragraph, I find myself moving my head from side to side a lot at the moment while testing for the judder and to check my latest settings attempt at losing it, lol. Look more like I'm watching a tennis match than driving :)

dw123
07-07-2015, 15:48
Fantastic explanation, it sounds like I hope it's in a patch very soon:) but the only issue being, if it's done in GPU, isn't that normally already stressed and the reason we have dropped below 75 already?

And your last paragraph, I find myself moving my head from side to side a lot at the moment while testing for the judder and to check my latest settings attempt at losing it, lol. Look more like I'm watching a tennis match than driving :)
Don't you mean turning your head side-to-side? Turning is okay, that's what Async Timewarp is designed for. If you stay looking straight ahead, and physically move your head side-to-side, that will create parallax shifting, which would still cause objects close to you to display some judder (but wouldn't be an issue for anything outside the windscreen) I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the noticable judder when dropping down to 37fps comes from the rotation.

I don't think the timewarp effect would have a remotely noticable performance impact in the grand scheme of rendering an entire scene. It's far closer in complexity to running a simple post-process shader than it is to rendering and shading a few million polygons. I very much doubt it'll in any way detract from the experience.

If you want to try it out, grab the Oculus SDK, and run the Oculus World demo... you can artificially limit the scene framerate by going into the menu (<TAB> - <LEFT/RIGHT keys> - Timewarp - Render Interval). Try setting Render Interval to 33.3ms for 30fps, or 27.0ms for 37fps (Use <Shift>+<UP> to change in 0.5 increments instead of 0.1, or it takes ages!)
Once you have it limited, you'll notice judder as you physically move around the world, but only in objects close to you, and if you stop and turn your head around, it'll still be a smooth and judder-free 75fps pan. Try turning off Timewarp entirely (in the same menu), and you'll see what you currently see in pCars.
EDIT!: Actually, they disabled the option to turn off Timewarp in the latest SDK. Download the 0.5.0.1 SDK instead (it'll still work with the 0.6 runtime), and you can use the <O> key to turn timewarp on and off.

Ramjet
07-07-2015, 16:00
Sounds futuristic but I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves just a little. We can look forward to what the next patch brings, as the devs have said some more updates for the Rift will be included in it. As for the Oculus runtime, I would think they are a long way from done yet and the major fixes will be aimed at the CV hardware which is quite abit different from our dk2's.

One of the major improves I feel is to get proper implementation of SLi VR which nvidia touted at release of the Maxwell chipset and yet still have not released anything and Sli doesn't even work with any current games on the new sdk. That to me has been a huge letdown after buying couple of 970's due to swallowing the marketing babble.

dw123
07-07-2015, 16:23
Sounds futuristic but I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves just a little. We can look forward to what the next patch brings, as the devs have said some more updates for the Rift will be included in it. As for the Oculus runtime, I would think they are a long way from done yet and the major fixes will be aimed at the CV hardware which is quite abit different from our dk2's.

One of the major improves I feel is to get proper implementation of SLi VR which nvidia touted at release of the Maxwell chipset and yet still have not released anything and Sli doesn't even work with any current games on the new sdk. That to me has been a huge letdown after buying couple of 970's due to swallowing the marketing babble.
Well, to this date they've never even finalised what "VRDirect" (now "GameWorks VR") even is. SLI VR could certainly be a great thing to have down the line, but currently that very much is a case of getting ahead of oneself. When it arrives, it should be backward compatible all the way back to the 600-series GeForces too. The only thing you'll need 900-series hardware for is the variable-resolution rendering tricks. (And well, to have enough power to run games smoothly in general of course :))

Async Timewarp is far from sci-fi - it exists now, has major demonstrable benefits even on mid-range hardware, and shouldn't require particularly massive resources to implement. That said, I've not seen it implemented outside of Oculus demos yet, so I presume there are enough niggling issues about it that mean it's still inconvenient to get working.

I have seen word directly from one of the SMS devs a couple of weeks back that he already had timewarp working... so I'm hoping it turns up in a patch soon.

TrevorAustin
07-07-2015, 18:15
I don't think we're ahead of ourselves, or why suggest and discuss any of it:) i tried it and you are absolutely right, so it either gives problems in the game or hasn't had time yet i had afterburner on and had.no issue with increases on either gpu or psu. Moving my head, rotating, i meant artificially to exaggerate the judder while I'm tunungwmy experience.

And as for sli, i can't tell you how close i was to going down the twin 970 route, before i ended up selling the 970 and buying the 980.

Although neither decision looking brilliant right now. You've got no ali and my ti won't go over 60% in pcars:) so about the same as the 970 i sold, lol

Ramjet
08-07-2015, 00:43
Yeah that's ok, all I meant was the tech your speaking is far from finalised. In another year dk2 will be mothballed so they wisely would be aiming most of the big stuff for the cv2. Of course it would be nice to see Async Timewarp available for titles like pCars & Elite Dangerous but I suspect it may be a bridge too far at this stage of the game, of course I would like to be wrong about that ! :joyous:

tiansusan
08-07-2015, 03:39
The Game Project Cars worked in VR mode and the image showed in Oculus DK2 as side by side. We wanted to connect other monitor (Like a big TV) and make it show on the TV screen and DK 2 at the same time. What tools or equipment should we use to make that happen? And I found some games can be showed on two screens(Rift and PC) at the same time while some cannot. I don't know how to solve this problem, please help me.
the game image showed in Oculus DK2

Antidamage
08-07-2015, 05:17
Positional Async Timewarp is the BIG and complicated one that they're still trying to work out the details of at Oculus I think... basically that adds parallax re-projection into the mix, so it'll use the last frame's z-depth-buffer to do an actual 3D warp based on your new head position. The problem that throws up (and the thing they're trying to work out the best way to solve) is that the last frame won't have any information in it to fill in the gaps behind objects that are revealed if you skew the scene sideways, so there has to be some kind of post-process to extrapolate filler data to fill in those gaps... or you'd end up with extremely distracting black after-echos on the trailing edge of objects every time you moved your head.

There is a solution but it requires more effort from the game developer.

As well as rendering a single complete frame and depth buffer, you decrease the z-envelope away from the camera and render lower resolution versions of a number of buffers extending into the distance that don't include the foreground elements that are translating so much. This data can be persisted, re-projected and used to fill in the occluded areas until the user's position changes dramatically. These frames can also be improved upon every second and third frame using temporal re-projection, so they'll be full resolution before you even notice. And of course all this can happen before you even move your head very far, if at all. The best part is, whatever you get back before the pass runs out of time is "good enough" since you can resume the process in the following frame window based on the previous details. Oldest/nearest buffers expire first, distant buffers can stick around for a dozen more frames if they have to. The buffers can even be hitched to the main frame generation if they really need to be, just for simplicity's sake. Timewarp should more than make up for the slight decrease in performance.

It'd be possible to inject into the rendering pipeline and just do this without the game's support, but it'd probably be flaky.

The downside is you'd need to enable two-sided geometry for those extra passes, which makes these buffers render slightly slower than they would otherwise. But you could make up for this by disabling a number of post-processing effects, anti-aliasing, texture filtering, etc. on those secondary passes. Mostly you care about these slices of detail looking about-right rather than looking perfect.

TrevorAustin
08-07-2015, 07:17
Now you're over my head, but enjoying it, lots to understand.

dw123
08-07-2015, 07:43
Hello, I met a new problem, hope you can help me.The Game Project Cars worked in VR mode and the image showed in Oculus DK2 as side by side. We wanted to connect other monitor (Like a big TV) and make it show on the TV screen and DK 2 at the same time. What tools or equipment should we use to make that happen? And I found some games can be showed on two screens(Rift and PC) at the same time while some cannot. I don't know how to solve this problem, please help me.

If I understand correctly what you're getting at - Direct to Rift mode, which works with pCars since the 2.0 patch, *should* automatically mirror to your monitor whatever is on the Rift... but there currently seems to be some discontinuity between them. For me, only the HUD/menus will display in the mirrored window currently, with a black background where the 3D world should be. I'm guessing this is just a temporary quirk/bug, possibly relating to the new Oculus layering tech. Presumably it should get fixed in time.

dw123
08-07-2015, 07:46
Yeah that's ok, all I meant was the tech your speaking is far from finalised. In another year dk2 will be mothballed so they wisely would be aiming most of the big stuff for the cv2. Of course it would be nice to see Async Timewarp available for titles like pCars & Elite Dangerous but I suspect it may be a bridge too far at this stage of the game, of course I would like to be wrong about that ! :joyous:

Well, I suppose we could say the same about the whole VR experience... none of it is locked down yet, not until January. Plenty of it will carry over from the DK2 to the CV1... I don't suppose it would be wasted effort implementing Async Timewarp at this point, it'd be more just forward-planning.

TrevorAustin
08-07-2015, 21:27
Well tried to play a bit tonight, but ended up spending hours trying to tweak graphics settings and then realised the fun and excitement has gone for now

Instead of thinking "wow" every single time i put the rift on and looked at thw amazing p cars world before the latest patch I'm putting it on and thinking what a shame it doesn't look a fraction as good as it used to and i've spent 600 on a new graphics card to achieve that lol.

Hopefully the next patch will bring that wow factor back, for now I think back to catching up on some tv.

An unavoidable step im the development but to my perception the visual impact in the rift is at least 50% down on what it was.

Ramjet
09-07-2015, 01:00
Try turning all AA off in game inc. Fxaa & Smaa. In nvidia control panel under pcars settings turn on fxaa + mfaa + multisampling. The results are surprisingly good with low impact on frame rate on my system (single gpu). It is still great fun in the Rift and the zero latency with head tracking makes up for the other temporary shortfalls.

TrevorAustin
09-07-2015, 06:57
Try turning all AA off in game inc. Fxaa & Smaa. In nvidia control panel under pcars settings turn on fxaa + mfaa + multisampling. The results are surprisingly good with low impact on frame rate on my system (single gpu). It is still great fun in the Rift and the zero latency with head tracking makes up for the other temporary shortfalls.

Already done all of that:) i have tried so many combinations. The zero latency is fantastic but it really doesn't make up for the massive comparative performance hit for me. Gameplay is great but i just don't enjoy what I'm looking at. Until this patch the view every single time i put the rift on was always a "wow i forgot ir was this good" now its "oh i thought it looked better than this"

I do know it's going to ger better again but for now huge anticlimax.

sylas
09-07-2015, 23:54
Before the update the game ran pretty good, not perfect, but good, and with graphical settings up pretty high.

After the update it was a horrible juddery mess, even on the lowest possible settings.

MY problem was SLI.

As soon as I turned SLI off, BOOM judder gone and smooth as butter.

I have 780 Ti's, but with SLI on, PCars is a mess in direct mode.

Running one card I have to keep the settings almost all the way down, but damn it's perfect(outside or resolution any how :p).

TLDR: TURN OFF SLI IF YOU ARE HAVING PERFORMANCE ISSUES WITH DIRECT MODE.

Thank you for this fix dood!! I was scratching my head, wondering why the heck the game is running MUCH worse after the patch. Turned ALL settings to low or off if it could be turned off. Only thing left high was textures and no AA at all. Still juddery until I set the Nvidia profile for Pcars to use single GPU. That did the trick!! Also tried to set #2 GPU to be dedicated PhysX, but that didn't work for improving this game. So, to recap, I have the same performance as before the patch, but with everything off or low, whereas before I had ultra for car and track details, turned off shadows, motion blur, bloom, and grass detail, AA was set to MSAA with FXAA high, Anisotropic set to 16X, particles set to medium, and all other settings set to high with the -skipcrowds command. Now I suppose I'll test how it runs with some settings up a notch, and possibly try renaming the .exe to the AR-something something to see if SLI issues can be resolved. Thanks again for your suggestion, because I probably wouldn't have tried that on my own.

TrevorAustin
11-07-2015, 14:29
Very interesting development for me for me.

After all my research, the only conclusion I could reach, as all other games are great in DK2 with high GPU usage, was CPU bottleneck or MB bottleneck, as users with 6 core and X99 MBs are fine.

I upograded to a 4790K CPU for minimal improvement. So I changed my MB today from a MSI gaming 3 to an ASUS Hero VII, and F' me, identical settings and GPU use at 65% and no judder. I started turning things up and can get my GPU over 80% and the only judder is on the start line where the CPU is doing too much work and GPU use drops a little. I can prove this by increasing or decreasing my clock speed, higher = better GPU use and lower = worse.

I've gained 30%+ performance in PCars from changing my MB. I think with the next patch and all the improvements I will be able to pretty much max this out in the DK2. A very happy guy today.

sylas
12-07-2015, 08:52
Well, in your analysis, what specifically is the issue that caused your MSI Mobo to be 30% less effective at delivering your frames? Was it your PCI-E bus? Now that has happened to me before too on an MSI mobo, but this is what happened in my case. I had upgraded from a GTX 275 to a GTX 560ti, and didn't notice much of a performance increase..even after OCing the new 560ti to maximum extremes. I had noticed within GPU-Z that my PCI-E bus was reading "PCI-E 2.0@1.1 X 2" and assumed that this was the normal, non-performance, low power state when not in a game. Thinking that the card may not be switching to a high performance state, I ran the embedded render program to verify. Clock speeds for GPU core and memory went up normally, but when I noticed the PCI bus reading of "PCI-E 2.0@2.0 X 2....my heart basically fell through my ass. I had been running that PCI-E bus at 2X when it was supposed to run at 16X with my single video card installed. Either way, I set MOBO BIOS to defaults, and noticed that my PCI-E bus was back to 16X. From there I put all my old OC settings back into the BIOS, consistently checking that bus for changes. This was on an AMD system, and it turns out the setting that did this to me was the HT..or Hypertransport bus speed. Overclocking that bus somehow caused my PCI-E to take a crap. It was a pity how much I abused the new 560ti with max clock speeds and voltage, and ultimately heat, just to discover it was not the card at all. Sold on Craigslist immediately afterward.

JoelonGc
12-07-2015, 13:58
If I understand correctly what you're getting at - Direct to Rift mode, which works with pCars since the 2.0 patch, *should* automatically mirror to your monitor whatever is on the Rift... but there currently seems to be some discontinuity between them. For me, only the HUD/menus will display in the mirrored window currently, with a black background where the 3D world should be. I'm guessing this is just a temporary quirk/bug, possibly relating to the new Oculus layering tech. Presumably it should get fixed in time.

I have been scratching my head over this for ages.. When I first installed the new pCars update the mirroring was working. I was blown away, finally no more OBC needed and a really cool single screen preview! It worked flawlessly...

Then backed out of the game to fix a headphone issue, log back in and no more preview! Now no matter what I try I can't get the preview back. Now realising this is a known bug but I just got confused when it worked perfect the first time..

Anyone else experience the same?

TrevorAustin
15-07-2015, 07:13
Well, in your analysis, what specifically is the issue that caused your MSI Mobo to be 30% less effective at delivering your frames? Was it your PCI-E bus? Now that has happened to me before too on an MSI mobo, but this is what happened in my case. I had upgraded from a GTX 275 to a GTX 560ti, and didn't notice much of a performance increase..even after OCing the new 560ti to maximum extremes. I had noticed within GPU-Z that my PCI-E bus was reading "PCI-E 2.0@1.1 X 2" and assumed that this was the normal, non-performance, low power state when not in a game. Thinking that the card may not be switching to a high performance state, I ran the embedded render program to verify. Clock speeds for GPU core and memory went up normally, but when I noticed the PCI bus reading of "PCI-E 2.0@2.0 X 2....my heart basically fell through my ass. I had been running that PCI-E bus at 2X when it was supposed to run at 16X with my single video card installed. Either way, I set MOBO BIOS to defaults, and noticed that my PCI-E bus was back to 16X. From there I put all my old OC settings back into the BIOS, consistently checking that bus for changes. This was on an AMD system, and it turns out the setting that did this to me was the HT..or Hypertransport bus speed. Overclocking that bus somehow caused my PCI-E to take a crap. It was a pity how much I abused the new 560ti with max clock speeds and voltage, and ultimately heat, just to discover it was not the card at all. Sold on Craigslist immediately afterward.

That is exactly one of tbe things i found, although mine would switch up to x8 but no higher. The only change i had mafe rromdefaults on the mb was cpu multiplier and vcore.

Naz
18-07-2015, 07:22
Hi fellas,

I'm interstate on holidays and away from my gaming machine....I've noticed the PC patch released whilst I'm away. I didn't notice any reference to Oculus Rift in the release notes on a quick skim read however.

Can anyone advise If there is any change in DK2 usage with the patch? Just curious.

Cheers

TrevorAustin
18-07-2015, 07:45
Hi, none of them made it, although they were due in the next patch weeks ago:) so i would guess the next, next patch, lol.

Naz
18-07-2015, 09:27
Lol, no worries. :)

Thanks mate.

surtic86
19-07-2015, 07:41
Yes in the next Patch in some Weeks max. a Month should come out the Patch 3.0 with Oculus Rift stuff.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26520-Dedicated-Server-API&p=1048740&viewfull=1#post1048740

Naz
24-07-2015, 10:36
Hi all again.

I thought I'd provide a small update to my findings with the DK2 implementation. I am home again from holidays and was skimming through the Oculus Rift forum and read a post from a moderator there that SLI is not supported by OR at the moment. Its probably old news to most of you here (especially the PCars Devs) but I hadn't realised it (its probably been mentioned many times on these boards !).

As per my sig (which I'll need to update) I had two GTX780 cards in SLI and all I had read previously indicated that setup would give similar performance to a 980Ti in most cases ... all my games ran fine including both Assetto Corsa and PCars pre patch 2.0 in extended mode so I was happy enough.

Being bored today and on a whim I got a 980Ti and replaced my SLI setup.

WOW.

I tested AC in its the extended mode that it still only supports and even though I was happy before, it is so much smoother now (an 18 car race around the green hell in the old Lotus GP car was a delight)

Next was PCars in direct mode using the (very low) recommended graphics settings as posted by a dev. here soon after patch 2.0 was released. I did a 20 car GT3 race at a clear weather Bathurst and all was butter smooth as expected. I then ran a 22 car race with graphics settings all turned back to "high" with the only exceptions being Car and Track details both at ultra ... unbelievably smooth yet again and it was amazing to drive!

I then tied 20 cars again at Bathurst in the rain ... The frames must have dropped under the magical 75 as it was juddery on the grid ... but I persisted and as soon as we got past the first left hander after the start, the FPS must have increased again as the field (slightly) spread out, for the rest of the 5 lap race, it was also beautifully smooth and racing around Bathurst just now in the glorious rain was one of the best sim experiences I've ever head.

So there you have it ... SLI simply is no good for the Oculus Rift as it now stands ... whilst I could get away with (what I thought) was smooth performance in Extended mode with two 780s, using a powerful single card that is above the OR recommended specs is the way to go ...it was way better in AC in extended mode and lightyears ahead of my old PCars performance in Direct mode.

So for my system at least, its now a big thumbs up to the devs. here as when one actually has the system to run it, the OR DK2 performance is stunning. Thanks to the Devs. for providing me with an amazing experience around Mount Panorama in the rain just now! I owe you a beer or two.

Obviously these are just my experiences and your mileage may vary gents.

Cheers.

TrevorAustin
24-07-2015, 10:43
Hi all again.

I thought I'd provide a small update to my findings with the DK2 implementation. I am home again from holidays and was skimming through the Oculus Rift forum and read a post from a moderator there that SLI is not supported by OR at the moment. Its probably old news to most of you here (especially the PCars Devs) but I hadn't realised it (its probably been mentioned many times on these boards !).

As per my sig (which I'll need to update) I had two GTX780 cards in SLI and all I had read previously indicated that setup would give similar performance to a 980Ti in most cases ... all my games ran fine including both Assetto Corsa and PCars pre patch 2.0 in extended mode so I was happy enough.

Being bored today and on a whim I got a 980Ti and replaced my SLI setup.

WOW.

I tested AC in its the extended mode that it still only supports and even though I was happy before, it is so much smoother now (an 18 car race around the green hell in the old Lotus GP car was a delight)

Next was PCars in direct mode using the (very low) recommended graphics settings as posted by a dev. here soon after patch 2.0 was released. I did a 20 car GTR3 race at a clear weather Bathurst and all was butter smooth as expected. I then ran a 22 car race with graphics settings all turned back to "high" with the only exceptions being Car and Track details both at ultra ... unbelievably smooth yet again and it was amazing to drive!

I then tied 20 cars again at Bathurst in the rain ... The frames must have dropped under the magical 75 as it was juddery on the grid ... but I persisted and as soon as we got past the first left hander after the start, the FPS must have increased again as the field (slightly) spread out, for the rest of the 5 lap race, it was also beautifully smooth and racing around Bathurst just now in the glorious rain was one of the best sim experiences I've ever head.

So there you have it ... SLI simply is no good for the Oculus Rift as it now stands ... whilst I could get away with (what I thought) was smooth performance in Extended mode with two 780s, using a powerful single card that is above the OR recommended specs is the way to go ...it was way better in AC in extended mode and lightyears ahead of my old PCars performance in Direct mode.

So for my system at least, its now a big thumbs up to the devs. here as when one actually has the system to run it, the OR DK2 performance is stunning. Thanks for providing me with an amazing experience around Mount Panoram in the rain just now Devs. I owe you a beer or two.

Obviously these are my experiences and your mileage may vary gents.

Cheers.

Yes the break point now for good 980ti with a 4 core CPU is about 20-24 cars and mostly high settings. I've also found I have had to turn exposure down to 0.60, has made a very big difference as it was a little washed out before, especially in some of the closed cockpit cars. I first tried it in the FQ400 and thought I would have to turn it up again for open wheel, but actually it's a lot better there as well.

The next patch should bring more improvements, as will the windows 10 oculus runtime, I'm hoping to be back to 55 car grids at Le Mans as I could get away with on extended mode pre 1.4 and 0.5.0.1 runtime with my 970:)