PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please....

Charles Gillen
01-07-2015, 10:42
I've been playing this game on XBOX one since it was released. It has become abundantly clear to me that the MS product is substandard. No reflection on SMS here. My gripe is with MS and this poor excuse for a next-gen gaming platform.

I've almost decided to upgrade to a PC and was checking out an Alienware Area 51 unit. This is their top end gaming computer and it carries a hefty price tag for it. But I'm interested in overkill here. I'm not interested in having to upgrade anytime soon. I want a system that can run any game regardless of what it is without breaking a sweat.

Also, would I be able to use my XBOX one wireless controller with this machine? And would it be sensible to purchase with Windows 10 already installed?

I've managed to save some cash over the past year and was seriously considering going back to the PC. I would appreciate some input or suggestions before I take the plunge................Thank You

Charles

sergiumtz
01-07-2015, 10:48
Depends what your priorities are. Does the cash for the PC represent your whole savings? Or a big part of it? If yes, then it's not worth it. If you are playing a lot on a daily basis, then yeah, but if you work, girlfriend, whatnot, it's not.

I had a XBone and I changed it to a PS4 just because of PCars, because I wanted to play the game without being forced to see the bugs on xbox

Invincible
01-07-2015, 10:53
I would not recommend an Alienware-PC. You'll pay a lot more just for the name / brand. If you want to go overkill, search for a company that does custom builds and go for:

CPU: i7-5960X
MB: Asus Rampage V extreme
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ SLI

sergiumtz
01-07-2015, 10:56
I would not recommend an Alienware-PC. You'll pay a lot more just for the name / brand. If you want to go overkill, search for a company that does custom builds and go for:

How much would that be roughly?

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 11:09
A single 980 Ti runs smoothly at Ultra here.

Forcedchaos
01-07-2015, 11:17

I used to build my own gaming rigs and didn't want to go through the hassle this time so I bought an Alienware. People can bad mouth them all they want (seems to be the trend with them) But I could not be happier! It's a beast of a machine and runs smooth as butter, I have everything overclocked to and not one hickup. You also get the warranty as well so if I burn it up they will just give me a brand new one with updated hardware of equal value if they don't have my spec. not the part, an entire brand new computer.

Are they a little over priced? Sure, but they're worth it. You can keep updating the warranty every year to. I'm a salesman, I know what a ripoff scam warranty's are but not in this case. Also anything you can't figure out you can talk to them online anytime live, plus you get all the updated drivers for your rig. Alienwares look cool to, let me just throw that in. Runs cool and nice and quiet where as the one I built sounded like a jet engine. (it was tri sli though.) To what Ian Bell said above me, I have a GTX 780 in this Alienware not even a ti running a 30 inch 2560x1600 resolution monitor with everything on ultra and maxed running smooth as hell, I couldn't even believe it at that resolution, no problem at all.

Martin G Webb
01-07-2015, 11:21
I believe the over whelming answer here is - You get what you pay for. Or in working men's terms, you get what you can afford.

My only advice would be to go for Nvidia rather than another GFX card, this is simply down to personal experience and preference.

NemethR
01-07-2015, 11:26

Just buy the parst seperately, and you can build your PC at home.
I do it always, and its not hard at all, its basicly "idiot-proof", so if you played LEGO, you should have no issues with it. :)

Invincible
01-07-2015, 11:53

Here in Germany you would have to pay:

i7-5960X ~1150 €
Asus Rampage V extreme ~ 470 €
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ ~ 770 € (each)

So with the rest of the rig (excluding screen, keyboard, wheel, etc). you would end up at around 4.500 € (with a decent SSD, PSU, RAM, HDD and a good full tower case).

A single 980 Ti runs smoothly at Ultra here.

I know, but he asked for overkill... :p

GamingCanuck
01-07-2015, 11:56
Do not buy pre-built, especially alienware as they're generally over priced.

Mad Al
01-07-2015, 11:57

Definitely an arm and a leg.. maybe need to throw in a testicle too...

Invincible
01-07-2015, 12:00
Do not buy pre-built, especially alienware as they're generally over priced.

Not generally. At a local PC-Store you can pick the parts you want (they even help you here, if you're not sure which one is better) and they put it together for 50 €. And they even offer some OC-services.

resmania
01-07-2015, 12:09
I would recommend, a decent middle tower case from Corsair, Intel i5 CPU, Nvidia GTX970 or higher, at least 8GB of ram(Samsung), 250GB SSD(Samsung), mainboard that costs around $150(Asus or Gigabyte), 500W power(Micronics) and that will cost you around $1000~1500

Knightfall
01-07-2015, 12:11
I can't even remember the last time I bought a pre-built computer.... 1998 maybe? Anyway, building it just is the way to go. Yes, Alienware WILL be overpriced 10 out of 10 times, but with that said, generally speaking they do use high quality components which increases their lifespan.

A couple of things if you go the building it yourself route.. If you are new to it, have someone help you. Another member suggested a store which helps you too, not a bad idea provided that salesman can be trusted. Having selection over the parts you put into your machine will also help you increase it's lifespan. Some parts also work better with others.

If you don't want to be upgrading "anytime soon" then sink your money into things like the CPU, and the mobo, PSU first... As new games come out, and games get better, the component that will become outdated first is your GPU. If you spend 700 on a 980ti now, you may be looking at spending another 700 in 2 years when that card cant handle the new games (at ultra... that 980ti is a beast.) Since the new shinny 980ti came out, you'd be able to get a regular 980 (still a beast of a card) for anywhere between 350-450. If you buy a top of the line mobo and proc now, there is no chance it will be outdated in the same time frame.

Charles Gillen
01-07-2015, 12:35
Thanks for the replys y'all. Like I said, I havent made up my mind as to what I want to do. The last time I built a PC, if I remember correctly, is because I couldnt afford to just buy one outright. Took me six months to gather all the parts. Damn thing was obsoulete by the time I got it built. But I seem to remember that it was a lot of fun to do.

But I'm older now and can afford "The good stuff" hence my interest in Alienware. Also, I would just as soon not leave the build up to a local shop, as they tend to give you what they think you should have as opposed to what you actually want. With the Ailenware I can specify the parts I want installed and thats what I'll get.

Good thing for SMS because I've already bought PCARs twice. A pre ordered copy and a digital. One more couldnt hurt, right?

My main questions would be: Can I use my 55 inch Sony flat screen tv for a monitor? Also I still want to use a MS type controller, so can I use my XBOX one controller or the 360 controller? Both are wireless and I'm not sure how I would make that work on PC. Or would I need I hardwired controller?

I'll research these things for a day or two and make a decision.

Again thanks for the help.

Charles

Invincible
01-07-2015, 12:36
) Since the new shinny 980ti came out, you'd be able to get a regular 980 (still a beast of a card) for anywhere between 350-450. If you buy a top of the line mobo and proc now, there is no chance it will be outdated in the same time frame.

Were? I can't find any 980 below 490 €... at least not in Germany... sadly.

Racefreak
01-07-2015, 12:47
I've been playing this game on XBOX one since it was released. It has become abundantly clear to me that the MS product is substandard. No reflection on SMS here. My gripe is with MS and this poor excuse for a next-gen gaming platform.

I've almost decided to upgrade to a PC and was checking out an Alienware Area 51 unit. This is their top end gaming computer and it carries a hefty price tag for it. But I'm interested in overkill here. I'm not interested in having to upgrade anytime soon. I want a system that can run any game regardless of what it is without breaking a sweat.

Also, would I be able to use my XBOX one wireless controller with this machine? And would it be sensible to purchase with Windows 10 already installed?

I've managed to save some cash over the past year and was seriously considering going back to the PC. I would appreciate some input or suggestions before I take the plunge................Thank You

Charles

I might be doing the same thing soon because MS is just slacking so I'm just done. Only reason I got a Xbox one is friends

Invincible
01-07-2015, 12:50
Thanks for the replys y'all. Like I said, I havent made up my mind as to what I want to do. The last time I built a PC, if I remember correctly, is because I couldnt afford to just buy one outright. Took me six months to gather all the parts. Damn thing was obsoulete by the time I got it built. But I seem to remember that it was a lot of fun to do.

But I'm older now and can afford "The good stuff" hence my interest in Alienware. Also, I would just as soon not leave the build up to a local shop, as they tend to give you what they think you should have as opposed to what you actually want. With the Ailenware I can specify the parts I want installed and thats what I'll get.

Good thing for SMS because I've already bought PCARs twice. A pre ordered copy and a digital. One more couldnt hurt, right?

My main questions would be: Can I use my 55 inch Sony flat screen tv for a monitor? Also I still want to use a MS type controller, so can I use my XBOX one controller or the 360 controller? Both are wireless and I'm not sure how I would make that work on PC. Or would I need I hardwired controller?

I'll research these things for a day or two and make a decision.

Again thanks for the help.

Charles

Of course you can use your TV screen. I can't think of anything that would stand against it. I also use my 55" Samsung from time to time as a monitor.

And you can also use your Xbone controller. Only downside is, that you can only connect it with a usb cable and you have to re-sync it to the xbox before you can use it on it again, after you used it on the PC.

Knightfall
01-07-2015, 13:02
Were? I can't find any 980 below 490 €... at least not in Germany... sadly.

Gotta be patient... Prices will continue to fall slightly. You need to pick one up from someone that wants to sell their 980.. I'm in the states, so perhaps the same srtrategy doesn't work in Europe.

I think this is how it works... SMSoon™

GamingCanuck
01-07-2015, 13:12
Not generally. At a local PC-Store you can pick the parts you want (they even help you here, if you're not sure which one is better) and they put it together for 50 €. And they even offer some OC-services.

Why pay 50 € when you can do it yourself? It's much more rewarding and it's not nearly as hard as people make it seem.

Invincible
01-07-2015, 13:31
Why pay 50 € when you can do it yourself? It's much more rewarding and it's not nearly as hard as people make it seem.

Beats me. I prefer to do it myself. I just said that they offer it, not that I ever used these services. I build, overclock and wreck my pc all by myself :p

I think building your own individual setup is quite fun. Even if I can get very angry if something doesn't work like I thought. (Ever bought a gpu and then realised it's too long for your case? Bought a Cpu fan which was too large so you had to strip your passive cooled ram to make it fit?)

Maviarab
01-07-2015, 13:56
IMO don't buy an overpriced Dell in a flashy case. You can build the same thing yourself for half the cash. As for the controller, always preferred wired stuff to be honedst, nothing worse than constantly messing about with batteries when you're a gamer. Just get usb stuff.

Bouyo
01-07-2015, 21:49
What about Digital Storm's PCs? Does anyone have experience with them?

I can appreciate that building a rig is cheaper and becomes more of a personal thing, however some of us work full time and have other commitments! When you add up the hours spent sourcing all the parts, putting them together and installing all the stuff it's more than you think. Pathetic as it sounds, sometimes you're just better off spending a couple hundred more bucks and having a nice little warranty too.

But seriously, what about Digital Storm?

OperatorWay
01-07-2015, 22:43
reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/guide (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide)

reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds)

Bouyo
02-07-2015, 03:10
reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/guide (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide)

reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds)

I'm sorry, but comparing consoles to PCs in terms of price and suggesting that PC systems are cheaper is just wrong. To purchase a PC that performs as well as a current console in a given game will cost you more, simply because consoles don't have as much processing over-head as PCs. The appeal with PC is that the current hardware is state-of-the-art, whereas in consoles it is not. This comes at a price!

I'd love to buy a gaming rig, don't get me wrong, but don't be so naive to think that PCs offer better value for money.

OperatorWay
02-07-2015, 04:00
...don't be so naive to think that PCs offer better value for money.
Don't be so rude as to suggest that I am naive to think differently than you think - especially regarding a matter on which you are incorrect (which the very links you quoted clearly illustrate).

321Respawn
02-07-2015, 04:10
If you want to know what hardware is required to run Pcars at its best just look at people's sigs everything you need is listed right there .