PDA

View Full Version : What I learnt/learned so far

falm
01-07-2015, 11:04
Had a great race yesterday on SPA with the BMW M1 Procar. Was going over 10 Laps with 29 AI opponents, starting time 21:00 and time acceleration 30. So I was starting when getting dark started and ended around lunch. What really impressed me was the "frightening" during the dark hours since I had hard times getting breakpoints right - what a experience. Also the loss of grip during the colder night hours gave it another kick. Got comfortable again when when sun was rising - nonetheless enjoyed the drive.
AI (running at 70%) was behaving perfect, even when going trough Eau Rouge the first time in the pack. Overall they gave me a good fight with lot's of overtaking. Ended up 7th after 10 laps starting from 12th position.

So what did I learn:
- find your right level of AI that fits to your driving skills.
- you do not have to win, enjoy the race
- prepare: it's does not make so much sens to run a new Car / Track with lots of AI opponents.
--> you will be the problem if you get every corner wrong

Esp. the last point applies also to on-line.

BR Markus

danpinho
01-07-2015, 21:15
So what did I learn:

^ That is a good one! +1

Pink_650S
01-07-2015, 21:20
Had a great race yesterday on SPA with the BMW M1 Procar. Was going over 10 Laps with 29 AI opponents, starting time 21:00 and time acceleration 30. So I was starting when getting dark started and ended around lunch. What really impressed me was the "frightening" during the dark hours since I had hard times getting breakpoints right - what a experience. Also the loss of grip during the colder night hours gave it another kick. Got comfortable again when when sun was rising - nonetheless enjoyed the drive.
AI (running at 70%) was behaving perfect, even when going trough Eau Rouge the first time in the pack. Overall they gave me a good fight with lot's of overtaking. Ended up 7th after 10 laps starting from 12th position.

So what did I learn:
- find your right level of AI that fits to your driving skills.
- prepare: it's does not make so much sens to run a new Car / Track with lots of AI opponents.
--> you will be the problem if you get every corner wrong

Esp. the last point applies also to on-line.

BR Markus

Try to tell your last point to all the 12 year olds on the PS4...

TheReaper GT
01-07-2015, 21:22

Bold challenge right there. Can't win that one though

Pink_650S
01-07-2015, 22:23
Bold challenge right there. Can't win that one though

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5863801.jpg

Could he?

TheReaper GT
01-07-2015, 22:25
http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5863801.jpg

Could he?

Challenge Accepted :D:D If Barney can't, we are hopeless

Pink_650S
01-07-2015, 23:18
Challenge Accepted :D:D If Barney can't, we are hopeless

He couldnt :rolleyes:

Sproket
01-07-2015, 23:26
I loved Dougie Howser.

wyldanimal
02-07-2015, 05:49

Isn't that a bit Insulting to all the PS4 players?

I know quite a few 30 and 40 something drivers that like to smoke dope and crash everyone on the tracks..
especially now that pCars has great looking damage and parts go flying off, I'm sure they find it a hoot.
Lets call them the 420 crowd.
and I'm not so sure that the teen crowd can so readily afford the PS4.

You might be surprised at who the smasher and bashers really are..

But calling PS4 / console players 12 year olds, far from it I think...

The last time we took a poll of the group I tend to race with, Our average age was around 46 years young.
one 80 something, three 70 year old's, a bunch of 40, 50 and 60ish dudes, and some 20 and 30 somethings..
there were about 40 players total that took part in the poll.

TheReaper GT
02-07-2015, 05:52
ohhhh boy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pink_650S
02-07-2015, 09:20
Isn't that a bit Insulting to all the PS4 players?

I know quite a few 30 and 40 something drivers that like to smoke dope and crash everyone on the tracks..
especially now that pCars has great looking damage and parts go flying off, I'm sure they find it a hoot.
Lets call them the 420 crowd.
and I'm not so sure that the teen crowd can so readily afford the PS4.

You might be surprised at who the smasher and bashers really are..

But calling PS4 / console players 12 year olds, far from it I think...

The last time we took a poll of the group I tend to race with, Our average age was around 46 years young.
one 80 something, three 70 year old's, a bunch of 40, 50 and 60ish dudes, and some 20 and 30 somethings..
there were about 40 players total that took part in the poll.

I think you got it wrong. There surely are 30 - 50 or even 60 year olds that play on PS4, but l didnt refer to them, because l think they have better things to do than to buy a racing sim, only to go online and wreck others.
I'm pretty sure many "young" people got this game from mommy, found out it isnt their average Need For Speed game, that they cant keep up with others, so their brain tells them: "WRECK EVERYONE! BECAUSE THEY DONT DESERVE TO HAVE FUN WHEN YOU CANT HAVE FUN!"

And to answer your question, no, l dont think its insulting to all PS4 players. Why would a 32 year old for example, feel insulted by the statement l made, although l called all 12 year olds wreckers? I dont get your point.
I might insulted every 12 year old PS4 owner, but guess what, l couldnt care less :rolleyes:

falm
02-07-2015, 09:56

Will try when I'm online the next time

jimmyb_84
02-07-2015, 10:57
Sorry Mods but my OCD has taken over please edit title to *learnt*

Great post and agree with regards to winning, it's not everything.

Ian Bell
02-07-2015, 10:58
Sorry Mods but my OCD has taken over please change edit title to *learnt*

Great post and agree with regards to winning, it's not everything.

Learned.

Sorry.

jimmyb_84
02-07-2015, 11:10
Learned.

Sorry.

I think we are both right, as English I use learnt more than learned

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/learnt-vs-learned

Ian Bell
02-07-2015, 11:14

I'm Irish, we never get it right.

Titzon Toast
02-07-2015, 12:04
@ wyldanimal
Lay off the 420 crowd man!

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 13:16

I'm the same with the word "Gotten". In some English speaking countries its perfectly acceptable, but not so common in UK and just sounds wrong.

Bealdor
02-07-2015, 13:18
Thread title updated. ;)

Ian Bell
02-07-2015, 13:18
Isn't it Leonard?

Pink_650S
02-07-2015, 13:56
Its Lörnt, actually.

Irishnewblood
02-07-2015, 14:08

Ha , didn't know you are Irish man...All of a sudden,I completely get all of your sarcasm..We have a level of smartassery, that's not really serious at all,that nobody really get's but us,this right here changes a lot of your answers for me.Keep it up dude.

Ian Bell
02-07-2015, 14:10
Ha , didn't know you are Irish man...All of a sudden,I completely get all of your sarcasm..We have a level of smartassery, that's not really serious at all,that nobody really get's but us,this right here changes a lot of your answers for me.Keep it up dude.

Absolutely mate. If people saw me they'd see a smile and a twinkle in the eye most of the time.

c172fccc
02-07-2015, 14:15
Absolutely mate. If people saw me they'd see a smile and a twinkle in the eye most of the time.

Use smileys, Ian.

chig88
02-07-2015, 14:44
I'm the same with the word "Gotten". In some English speaking countries its perfectly acceptable, but not so common in UK and just sounds wrong.

I once used the word 'Gotten' in a psychology essay (couldn't think of another word that fit), and my Tutor tore me a new one.

Having said, that he was a bit of a psychopath :)

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 14:48
I once used the word 'Gotten' in a psychology essay (couldn't think of another word that fit), and my Tutor tore me a new one.

Having said, that he was a bit of a psychopath :)

I guess that's why he was teaching Psychology.
Well actually, I guess that's why he was teaching.

Beardybrave
02-07-2015, 14:51
The best single player race I've /ever/ had was yesterday in the Historic Tourer Grp A series. Ochersleben ( almost certainly incorrect spelling, apologies). 10 laps. came 2nd and was relieved to have gotten away with it. Severeal other races where it was fantastic, just to finish mid pack.

It's the racer I've been dying for. So glad it's come to Ps4 ( another mid 40s ps4 owner here).

Ian Bell
02-07-2015, 14:53
Use smileys, Ian.

Nah. They can assume.

chig88
02-07-2015, 15:03
Nah. They can assume.

When you assume you make an ass out of u and...... oh never mind. I hate that saying.

wyldanimal
02-07-2015, 15:06
I think you got it wrong. ....

And to answer your question, ...
I might insulted every 12 year old PS4 owner, but guess what, l couldnt care less :rolleyes:

Yes, It was late, I re-read your post..
I had first read it to mean, you Called ALL PS4 players 12 year olds...

So in that context, I worded my reply.. But I now see, that your post was not that at all...

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 15:10
Nah. They can assume.

Assumption is the mother of all F-Ups

ermo
02-07-2015, 17:40

*quote saved for later use totally out of context*

I mean, that's what these forums are really for, right? To quote Ian completely out of context so as to cause a stir, rouse the rabble, mobilize the riff-raff, goad (goat? I'm danish, we never get it right) the peanut-gallery, wake up the wiilitants etc. etc.? :witless:

TheReaper GT
02-07-2015, 17:41
*quote saved for later use totally out of context*

I mean, that's what these forums are really for, right? To quote Ian completely out of context so as to cause a stir, rouse the rabble, mobilize the riff-raff, goad (goat? I'm danish, we never get it right) the peanut-gallery, wake up the wiilitants etc. etc.? :witless:

It's kind of comic and a lot of tragic auhhua

Paul Swanepoel
02-07-2015, 17:44
Ah Jaysus Ian, next time ya call out an eejit, call the fecker a bollix instead.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30dxrwd0Kss

TheReaper GT
02-07-2015, 17:47
Ah Jaysus Ian, next time ya call out an eejit, call the fecker a bollix instead.;)

The navigator saved the most boring rally pass I've ever seen. Funny as F%$k

chig88
02-07-2015, 18:11
"You marked it down, it was a 4 ya bollix!!"

Bit early for feature requests I know, but can this guy replace Ben Collins for the rally stages in pCARS 2? :)

TheReaper GT
02-07-2015, 18:37
"You marked it down, it was a 4 ya bollix!!"

Bit early for feature requests I know, but can this guy replace Ben Collins for the rally stages in pCARS 2? :)

huauhauhauha

"Fiiiiiiiiiinally you've got that turn right you bloody idiot"
"Did nothing more than your job, lazy dumb fu%k"

myropa
02-07-2015, 22:56

This makes me feel much better. And I am not kidding. Things were getting a bit touchy a day or three back.

Having given lectures in something like 20 countries before retiring, I was always careful to gauge the sense of humor in a new place. Sadly never in Ireland. But it is much easier when face to face with your students. I find it nearly impossible when working in writing.

LordDRIFT
03-07-2015, 01:07
Isn't it Leonard?

That's my uncle. Then it's just Len. But if mi Len it out mi want it back. Zeen star

Deadzone
03-07-2015, 01:21
http://youtu.be/e-ldnoCx4SQ

That was funny as feck. Here's another funny navigator.

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 01:29
http://youtu.be/e-ldnoCx4SQ

That was funny as feck. Here's another funny navigator.

TURN, THROTTLE, POVA POVA auhahuauhuahuahuahua

falm
03-07-2015, 09:12
Learned.

Sorry.

@Ian @jimmyb_84 sorry, I'm not a native speaker - Looks like Ive learnt / learned also some more english now :-)

McKiernan
03-07-2015, 13:07

That was hilarious thanks for posting. PCars 2 definitely needs a co-pilot like him

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 13:41
I saw some old races of Super Carretera, the Argentinian stock car, they had a copilot on, pretty funny shit.

Ian Bell
03-07-2015, 14:23

Excellent, just catching up and this gave me a laugh. Thanks Paul. :)

(Hate to be pedantic but it's normally 'ya big ballix ya', regardless of their actual height)

BanjoMaster
03-07-2015, 15:13

This right here is a perfect example of why everyone loves the Irish! Crazy old farmers with ex-Petter Solberg WRC Imprezzas just tucked away in some barn ;)

BanjoMaster
03-07-2015, 15:16
Excellent, just catching up and this gave me a laugh. Thanks Paul. :)

(Hate to be pedantic but it's normally 'ya big ballix ya', regardless of their actual height)

Ok, if you're going full Irish today, your challenge is to call at least one troll a Gobshite by the end of the day :D

ElectricBlues85
03-07-2015, 20:12

Crackin' vid - had me in stitches.

Back to the OP - some great comments there. I Started off with AI @ 60% and was winning everything, no fun. Cranked it up to 70% and enjoyed the racing far more. After a while I started beating them consistently so bumped it to 80%... now I've had a blinder if I get on the podium.

Just one note - I wish i'd got the trophy for 50% win ratio before I cranked the AI. I've got some serious grinding to do now in GT3 & Touring to get my ratio back up :(

falm
04-07-2015, 19:25
Just one note - I wish i'd got the trophy for 50% win ratio before I cranked the AI. I've got some serious grinding to do now in GT3 & Touring to get my ratio back up :(

Same here, morphed also into an grinding trophy for me - maybe I'll just skip it.

Artful_Alonso14
04-07-2015, 20:07
Ok, if you're going full Irish today, your challenge is to call at least one troll a Gobshite by the end of the day :D

Careful now!

Edit: thought I should make it relevant to the OP. I've only played two hours of race cars (not including karting time, they're just annoying), but I've learned a few things, some I took for granted really in GT6. Driving on the kerbs can be dangerous, don't be aggressive on them! My mind always goes blank thinking about things I've learned, so we'll leave it there so!

ElectricBlues85
04-07-2015, 21:55
Same here, morphed also into an grinding trophy for me - maybe I'll just skip it.

Nailed it today. Lots of 1 lap races on Silverstone National. Now I can get back to losing again :D

TheReaper GT
04-07-2015, 21:59
Nailed it today. Lots of 1 lap races on Silverstone National. Now I can get back to losing again :D

uhahuauha, sounds about right. What I did was a lot of 3 lap Trans Am races on Watkins Glen, at the end the car was drinving itself uhahuahu

falm
05-07-2015, 11:09

Good idea, will give this a try also