PDA

View Full Version : You want this game to be a Sim? Then make it a Sim ...

MrBlacky
01-07-2015, 12:42
First of all, I'm glad that there is a lot of bugfixing and the staff is putting much effort into it.
But all the complaining here in the forums is about "when does the new free car come" and that shit. Srsly, nobody cares, they will come. The real problem is, that this game is descriped very often as THE SIM.
Car/Tire physics are all really well. There is still some work to do (GT3 cars) but it's fine. You can play with it, do racing and it works quite well.
So, what does a "real" Sim need? Yes,

- Working pitstops where you don't get wrong tire pressures so that you're tires cooking after two corners
- Not an AI that drives your car in the pits. Let us drive the car. (You fixed the crashing cars in the SPA-pitlane? Good, but now the AI is driving on different speeds around the corner in La Source, pretty much depending on the setup but we didn't figure it out yet. It's a game breaker for Simracing because you lose much time)
- Replays where you can watch ANY car at ANY time ANYTIME and ANYWHERE you want.
- Server options where you can restart session, set grid position and all that stuff.
- Driver swaps

And thats not the end of the list. So please, add this features in future updates and this game is gonna be awesome!

Thank you.

vicdavery
01-07-2015, 12:45
IMHO

FTFY

MrBlacky
01-07-2015, 12:54
IMHO

FTFY

Yeah, of course in my opinion. And I'm aware that most of the players don't care about simracing.
But then again, if this game "is" a Sim, then it should add these featues. Otherwise it's no sim. Simply as that.

I'm sure it'll get sorted in time.

I hope so. Would be great :)

OrenIshii BE
01-07-2015, 13:06
Yeah, of course in my opinion. And I'm aware that most of the players don't care about simracing.
But then again, if this game "is" a Sim, then it should add these featues. Otherwise it's no sim. Simply as that.

clearly you have a very narrow perspective of SIM if you ask me.

You have good suggestions, i agree.
- pitstops need to be flawless, they are working on fixing the issues
- Letting you drive your own car in pits add to the realisme, but doesn't make the game less SIM with the ai taking over imho
(i even thing it's a good thing, that way you can alter the desired strategy, fuel, which tire etc...)
- Replays: yeah would be great to have those option, but again, has nothing to do with being SIM
- Lobby settings are a good idea too, but adjusting grid positions? that's what qualifying is for no?
- Driver swap. No opinion on that. Could be interesting.

So what i actually trying to say:
This game won't be more sim with the feature you suggest.
Please don't be offended, you made good suggestion.
But telling this "do this to make your game SIM" is not the right attitude.

JeyD02
01-07-2015, 13:06
Guys it freaking takes time, you have to let it mature. Not all game came with literally everything.

vicdavery
01-07-2015, 13:08
I do care about sim racing, where "racing" is the operative word. Sure pitstops are part of some forms of motorsport, but not all. And, imho, the best racing happens in those events where there is no pitstop.

That's what I care about and what PCARS does extremely well. The stuff you mention is nice-to-have, but I'm glad they concentrated on the racing first. The other stuff will come.

MrBlacky
01-07-2015, 13:20
clearly you have a very narrow perspective of SIM if you ask me.

You have good suggestions, i agree.
- pitstops need to be flawless, they are working on fixing the issues
- Letting you drive your own car in pits add to the realisme, but doesn't make the game less SIM with the ai taking over imho
(i even thing it's a good thing, that way you can alter the desired strategy, fuel, which tire etc...)
- Replays: yeah would be great to have those option, but again, has nothing to do with being SIM
- Lobby settings are a good idea too, but adjusting grid positions? that's what qualifying is for no?
- Driver swap. No opinion on that. Could be interesting.

So what i actually trying to say:
This game won't be more sim with the feature you suggest.
Please don't be offended, you made good suggestion.
But telling this is "do this to make your game SIM" is not the right attitude.

You are maybe right. What I wanted to say is, that tese features add more realism (what I connect with a Simracing game).

Ally_bassman
01-07-2015, 13:32
Some ok suggestions, but having them in PCars will not make it any more of a SIM than it already is.

Flight simulators that airlines etc use to train their pilots do not have ground crew milling around or flight attendants asking what inflight meal they want....

Does that make it less of a SIM? Go figure.

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 13:38

I don't think sim means what you think sim means. (Princess Bride)

komaro
01-07-2015, 13:39
As for pitting. It's an AI problem...always been. There was always bugs with manual pitting. I remember all the Nascar games from Papyrus, F1 with Codemaster, etc...to date pitting seems to work better when it's automatic, because it manage the bugs of the AI cars better. I could be wrong but historically speaking...

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 13:40
We can't allow manual pitting as we can't allow car to person contact for licensing reasons. We could avoid it by coding a 'dive out of the way, become an acrobat' simulation but that would be silly.

3800racingfool
01-07-2015, 13:47
Not an AI that drives your car in the pits. Let us drive the car.

Letting you drive your own car in pits add to the realisme, but doesn't make the game less SIM with the ai taking over imho

Um, question: Driving myself in and around the pits is all fine and dandy. But how the hell is one supposed to adjust their pit strategy if it needs doing so on the fly?

Example: Say I'm in an online event. I have a pit strategy setup beforehand to supply me with tires and fuel while ignoring damage repair. About halfway through the first stint it starts to rain. The slipperiness of the slicks causes me to hit a wall damaging my suspension. I now need to pit for rain tires and to repair the suspension. If I'm having to drive into the pits and pitbox myself I will be unable to actually adjust my pit stop setup until I'm in the box, on airjacks, and actually receiving service. At least with the AI taking over, you have a moment to actually make those changes before the new slicks that you don't need are being fitted to the right side of your car that actually needs repairing.

I'm all for realism and immersion, but in some cases: function > form.

OrenIshii BE
01-07-2015, 13:52

Um, question: Driving myself in and around the pits is all fine and dandy. But how the hell is one supposed to adjust their pit strategy if it needs doing so on the fly?

Example: Say I'm in an online event. I have a pit strategy setup beforehand to supply me with tires and fuel while ignoring damage repair. About halfway through the first stint it starts to rain. The slipperiness of the slicks causes me to hit a wall damaging my suspension. I now need to pit for rain tires and to repair the suspension. If I'm having to drive into the pits and pitbox myself I will be unable to actually adjust my pit stop setup until I'm in the box, on airjacks, and actually receiving service. At least with the AI taking over, you have a moment to actually make those changes before the new slicks that you don't need are being fitted to the right side of your car that actually needs repairing.

You forgot to read all the lines there mate :p

jim jonez
01-07-2015, 14:24
One thing which would complete Pcars for me is decent rating/penalty system... Had the most fun racing yesterday in a clean race battling right to the end . Wish that was the norm.

Manual pitting can be looked at a later point .....lack of rating/penalty breeds too many ..... D***Heads which makes it not feel not like a sim.

Linus27
01-07-2015, 14:36
We can't allow manual pitting as we can't allow car to person contact for licensing reasons. We could avoid it by coding a 'dive out of the way, become an acrobat' simulation but that would be silly.

Serious question Ian. Is this something new that's come out? I mean, it was never an issue with Nascar 2003 and GTR2 which had full pit crews. Even Rfactor 1 and 2 lets you drive into the pits although they only have one person in the pits.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 14:36
Serious question Ian. Is this something new that's come out? I mean, it was never an issue with Nascar 2003 and GTR2 which had full pit crews. Even Rfactor 1 and 2 lets you drive into the pits although they only have one person in the pits.

No, we can allow you to drive through people. I think that would be terribly poor though.

protie
01-07-2015, 14:38
- Not an AI that drives your car in the pits. Let us drive the car.

I agree very much with that statement. That and the AI control of the car before any race. To ME, this is what pushes the game towards and arcade/console game. (Still think its an incredible sim though :) )

protie
01-07-2015, 14:40
No, we can allow you to drive through people. I think that would be terribly poor though.

Are you referring to the guy that stands in front of your car during the pit?

Ally_bassman
01-07-2015, 14:42
I agree very much with that statement. That and the AI control of the car before any race. To ME, this is what pushes the game towards and arcade/console game. (Still think its an incredible sim though :) )

Fair enough, but I think having no option to pit at all, would be more towards an arcade game. Not too sure what you mean by 'console' game though.

A console is just a medium as to what you can play a game/SIM on.

lifeofbrian
01-07-2015, 14:43
Ian, are the multiplayer fixes next on the list to be done?

xautos
if this were a real sim, most of the casual players would of been running for cover long ago. but the game cant exclusively cater to this minority of sim racers, myself included as a retired sim racer. so naturally there has to be some elements of semi sim/arcard racing qualities. if you want true die hard sim racing, setup your own racers group with others and create a strict championship.

Dmitry Afanasyev
TBH I personally prefer to "have an opportunity to drive through people" than auto pit. Normal people will always drive safe while idiots will always find something to crash into

Linus27
01-07-2015, 14:44

Ah ok thank you. Its an interesting point though as I don't think I have once accidently or on purpose tried to drive through anyone in GTR2 or Nascar 2003. I'm far to serious for that but I might give it a go tonight :)

xautos
01-07-2015, 14:46
TBH I personally prefer to "have an opportunity to drive through people" than auto pit. Normal people will always drive safe while idiots will always find something to crash into

i once raced in project torque, that had ghost mode in its settings for players, it was no fun as it was highly distracting.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 14:49
Ian, are the multiplayer fixes next on the list to be done?

We have a lot of multiplayer fixes in this patch.

They are always on the list. More coming in the next patch.

Racefreak
01-07-2015, 15:04
There should be a poll to decide on the auto control or manual control for the pits(if the team are willing to allow it and work on it) I personally would like for Manual

protie
01-07-2015, 15:10

Or just get rid of the pit guy. Considering you can not control when the car enters and stops in your pit stall, he serves no purpose other then standing there all by himself while tires magically replace themselves on your car.

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 15:12
if this were a real sim, most of the casual players would of been running for cover long ago.
Why? Just because it's a sim doesn't mean the cars have to be undriveable, infact most race cars aren't that hard to drive 90% it's that last 10% when things get real and a normal Road driver will in 99.9 % of the time reach his limit long before the car will.

Umer Ahmad
01-07-2015, 15:12
There should be a poll to decide on the auto control or manual control for the pits(if the team are willing to allow it and work on it) I personally would like for Manual
You don't need a poll if it is not really an option Ian's team can deliver. As he explains in post #12 above. I don't think it will be an option for this game perhaps.

Definitely we discussed it in length at WMD prior to launch with Ian's team. This is not really a new area of discussion for SMS and the players, but it is a new discussion at this forum with many new participants.

Umer Ahmad
01-07-2015, 15:13
Or just get rid of the pit guy. Considering you can not control when the car enters and stops in your pit stall, he serves no purpose other then standing there all by himself while tires magically replace themselves on your car.

Well the animators are busy working on the rest of the crew. It would be nice to finish that work and enjoy it, no?

JeyD02
01-07-2015, 15:16

This is a big big NONO.

If this game allows ghost driving, the the purpose of this game goes to the ground. There is no sense of driving and racing craft when there is not overtaking, decision making, competition. This abolish the definition of racing...

xautos
01-07-2015, 15:24
Why? Just because it's a sim doesn't mean the cars have to be undriveable, infact most race cars aren't that hard to drive 90% it's that last 10% when things get real and a normal Road driver will in 99.9 % of the time reach his limit long before the car will.

casual players dont understand any of the basics involved; traction control, stability controls, anti-locking brakes, auto/manual gearbox. all a casual racer wants to do is race hard and fast, not having any idea about what its like not having those controls. i remember back to when i was a casual player before the sim racing days, the traction control and anti-locking brakes were the hardest part to get right and took weeks if not more to get a feel for it. to a causal player, do you think they want to handle something like this when all they want is a nice quick easy race?

got nothing to do with how undrivable a car is, but serious sim racing requires none of the above aids, everything has to be done exactly.

MortICi
01-07-2015, 15:32
casual players dont understand any of the basics involved; traction control, stability controls, anti-locking brakes, auto/manual gearbox. all a casual racer wants to do is race hard and fast, not having any idea about what its like not having those controls. i remember back to when i was a casual player before the sim racing days, the traction control and anti-locking brakes were the hardest part to get right and took weeks if not more to get a feel for it. to a causal player, do you think they want to handle something like this when all they want is a nice quick easy race?

got nothing to do with how undrivable a car is, but serious sim racing requires none of the above aids, everything has to be done exactly.

You do realize that most of the race cars if not all modern ones have all three of those and drivers DO use them and adjust them while driving? Hell the BMW Z4 GT3 was the first to have stability control in the GT3 class (correct me if I'm wrong here)... Sure turning the items off can POSSIBLY yield faster times... but using or not using them makes you no more or no less a good driver.

The whole notion that using these aids somehow makes you less of a racer is ridiculous....

JeyD02
01-07-2015, 15:33

It's certainly not the games fault. It's up to them to learn and study racing. I think it's too dangerous to accommodate a game to non comprehensive players, it'll destroy the core of the game. But when the players practice and get used to racing sim elements then they can take the most out of the game.

xautos
01-07-2015, 15:37
You do realize that most of the race cars if not all modern ones have all three of those and drivers DO use them and adjust them while driving? Hell the BMW Z4 GT3 was the first to have stability control in the GT3 class (correct me if I'm wrong here)... Sure turning the items off can POSSIBLY yield faster times... but using or not using them makes you no more or no less a good driver.

The whole notion that using these aids somehow makes you less of a racer is ridiculous....

some cars like the porsche 911 have these aids, i know that, but others dont have them.

It's certainly not the games fault. It's up to them to learn and study racing. I think it's too dangerous to accommodate a game to non comprehensive players, it'll destroy the core of the game. But when the players practice and get used to racing sim elements then they can take the most out of the game.

case and point. a causal player doesnt want to know, they just want to race. if they wish to learn thats their business.

Umer Ahmad
01-07-2015, 15:40
The Corvette has it, you can see it working here on the BLUE LEDs on the driver display. Since Corvette has them I'm gonna guess that all the GTE/GTLM cars have them (why would a competitor want to be at a technology disadvantage?)

see 3:17

http://youtu.be/tGoB_o6q7-U

xautos
01-07-2015, 15:41
you may want to find out if they all have them or not. if the driver has the ability to have it or not, and what the rules state about these controls in various series.

FoxMulder
01-07-2015, 15:43
They usually turn all but ABS off after the start and maybe the first lap. You just get a better feel for the car and its limits without them and you're faster that way.

protie
01-07-2015, 15:52
Well the animators are busy working on the rest of the crew. It would be nice to finish that work and enjoy it, no?

Obviously just my personal opinion but I would prefer control of the car during a pit and no visible pit crew. It just takes the excitement and pressure of making an efficient pit-stop and throws it out the window. Especially during endurance events, where speeding in the pits and other complications should be as common as RL. Considering this is the first sim that actually made me feel as though I am actually driving the car in VR-Rift (I don't get that feeling in iRacing and AC), it is just something that really bugs me. I am sure the Devs have more then enough reasons for it to be the way it is and it wont stop me from playing Project Cars every chance I get. :)

LordDRIFT
01-07-2015, 15:52
Bunch of contradictions in the OP. The irony...

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 15:56

No offence but I don't think you understand a race car as much as you think you do.

xautos
01-07-2015, 15:58
No offence but I don't think you understand a race car as much as you think you do.

please indulge me.

ONT
01-07-2015, 16:02

A solution to this would be to remove crowd from pit area if manual driving is selected, I think a stop sign animation in the pit box would do :cool:.

Manual pit driving is a BIG thing for a lot of sim racers, and a big part of OVAL racing, with that coming later in pCARS a solution would be fantastic news.

Where there's a will, there's a way "Inguz"

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 16:04
please indulge me.

I suggest you look up certain disciplines and check what aids are used and what are not.

To say causal players use aids to play the game thus not playing it as a sim is incorrect, you made the comments I suggest you indulge yourself, maybe Google ;-)

bodyshop
01-07-2015, 16:05
Whenever i hear people talking of sims and belittling console players etc and giving it the big I AM .... all i imagine is an over weight loser sat in his mummy and step daddies basement with no girlfriend and no hope.

Of course that's just in my imagination....

xautos
01-07-2015, 16:05
I suggest you look up certain disciplines and check what aids are used and what are not.

To say causal players use aids to play the game thus not playing it as a sim is incorrect, you made the comments I suggest you indulge yourself, maybe Google ;-)

no answer hmm? i got no reason to stick around further then.

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 16:08
Bye.

Umer Ahmad
01-07-2015, 16:08
Come guys. No e-peen contests today please.

Lukas Macedo
01-07-2015, 16:15
Not sure if this topic has anything to be discussed at all.

- Working pitstops where you don't get wrong tire pressures so that you're tires cooking after two corners.
A Sim with bugs is still a sim.
- Not an AI that drives your car in the pits. Let us drive the car. (You fixed the crashing cars in the SPA-pitlane? Good, but now the AI is driving on different speeds around the corner in La Source, pretty much depending on the setup but we didn't figure it out yet. It's a game breaker for Simracing because you lose much time)
A Sim where you cannot drive in the pits is still a sim, it simulates way more aspects of simracing than it doesn't.
- Replays where you can watch ANY car at ANY time ANYTIME and ANYWHERE you want.
A Sim with missing your favorite replay features is still a sim.
- Server options where you can restart session, set grid position and all that stuff.
A Sim with missing your favorite server control features is still a sim.
- Driver swaps
A Sim with missing the driver swap feature is still a sim. Same as above, it still simulates way more aspects than it doesn't.

So, in summary, a sim missing your favorite features, is probably not going to be your favorite sim, but it is a Sim in its own merits.
I hope it helps.

MortICi
01-07-2015, 16:18
you may want to find out if they all have them or not. if the driver has the ability to have it or not, and what the rules state about these controls in various series.

All GT3 (GTE/LM) cars afaik have TCS/ABS/STAB. Drivers do use them all the time, doesn't mean they are on all the time but they turn them off and on and reduce strength during the race. Various reasons, saving tyres, not having to focus so much on throttle it all depends on the dynamics of the race. Again, just because you have it all off doesn't mean your super hardcore or any better, just riskier (in my opinion) that is all...

So no need to bash casual players that use these aids (hell I use ABS and TCS on certain tracks or conditions), and no need to get mad at them if they are faster using them... its all legal.

Either way its just a game, have fun playing it they way you want and let others do the same :D

xautos
01-07-2015, 16:20
what about the pit entry and exit lines, has this ai pathing, especially on spa been corrected so you dont run over that line on the way out of the pits? its mostly a safety measure so drivers dont put other drivers at risk entering or exiting the pits. there should be a penalty carried with drivers running over that line on purpose.

Umer Ahmad
01-07-2015, 16:21
^Hamilton got that penalty last race, correct?

xautos
01-07-2015, 16:21
All GT3 (GTE/LM) cars afaik have TCS/ABS/STAB. Drivers do use them all the time, doesn't mean they are on all the time but they turn them off and on and reduce strength during the race. Various reasons, saving tyres, not having to focus so much on throttle it all depends on the dynamics of the race. Again, just because you have it all off doesn't mean your super hardcore or any better, just riskier (in my opinion) that is all...

So no need to bash casual players that use these aids (hell I use ABS and TCS on certain tracks or conditions), and no need to get mad at them if they are faster using them... its all legal.

Either way its just a game, have fun playing it they way you want and let others do the same :D

taken somewhat out of context with with the bashing. but the rest of it is fine as an answer.

bodyshop
01-07-2015, 16:22
FIFA simulates football......its a football SIM... what do SIM players think is so special about the word SIMULATOR. Games do simulate stuff..its what they do....we are all just playing a game that is just smoke and mirrors...it ain't real whether its iRacing or Mario Kart ....

xautos
01-07-2015, 16:22
^Hamilton got that penalty last race, correct?

yep, he wasnt the only one, but in recent history in f1, yes.

sergiumtz
01-07-2015, 16:34
You want a proper sim? Take your car to the nearest track and race your brains out. A GAME will NEVER give you the real feeling at a 100% accuracy. It can come close, but never 100%. You know why? Because on the next lap you will be like 'oh i think i can take that turn faster' without having the fear of crashing your car.

Like it or not, the fear factor is the biggest aspect of racing that will stay between a real life experience and a virtual one. So if you don't have a track, a sim without the possibility of letting you to drive yourself in the pits (how moronic is that, what's the point when you don't have a radio to tell your team what you want) and all kind of gimmicks.

Again, take your car, whatever make you have, and give it a go, you will soon appreciate that PCars offers a very accurate experience of track racing.

xautos
01-07-2015, 16:40
You want a proper sim? Take your car to the nearest track and race your brains out. A GAME will NEVER give you the real feeling at a 100% accuracy. It can come close, but never 100%. You know why? Because on the next lap you will be like 'oh i think i can take that turn faster' without having the fear of crashing your car.

Like it or not, the fear factor is the biggest aspect of racing that will stay between a real life experience and a virtual one. So if you don't have a track, a sim without the possibility of letting you to drive yourself in the pits (how moronic is that, what's the point when you don't have a radio to tell your team what you want) and all kind of gimmicks.

Again, take your car, whatever make you have, and give it a go, you will soon appreciate that PCars offers a very accurate experience of track racing.

if only! i need to get into shape for that and make sure to visit the right sites and apply for racing licenses and have other tests done. i couldnt drive without glasses anyway, so like Tom Chilton and Sebastien Bourdais. besides that, ive never driven a car in my life because i just dont have the money to even try get anything together.

sergiumtz
01-07-2015, 16:42
Please don't tell me anything about money. This topic pains me hahaha

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 16:43

Many disciplines use a multitude of safety features, GT2 for instance have a system that monitors the wheels for traction transferring power from where it's not needed to where it is much like a high end Road car only much more advanced, to say race cars don't use aids is naive the modern race car is a very complex piece machinery.

To race with them on ingame doesn't make you less of a sim player than a player that chooses not to.

The "casual " player has every right to use them just as the driver does IRL it's what there for.

FAster
01-07-2015, 17:14
I'm sure it'll get sorted in time.

What time ? at Pcars 2 ? Nevermind if.

xautos
01-07-2015, 17:15

thats years away yet before pcars 2 is a reality. plenty of time to find a fix for some of the issues.

Ian Bell
01-07-2015, 17:16

Dear FAster, 25 complaining posts in a row isn't tiring you out a little?

Blupp
01-07-2015, 17:26

I rather drive through people, than don't drive at all. I didn't have an issue with other games, doing it that way. I think the main point is to not lose control of the car at any time. Most of the people who want that feature don't really care how it's done. Maybe make it optional.

Jan Studenski
01-07-2015, 17:37

Its not the best solution i agree - but i think that most of the people would be okay with that

They would "sacrify" that for getting manual pitstops. Its one of the most requested features aswell.

Obviously just my personal opinion but I would prefer control of the car during a pit and no visible pit crew. It just takes the excitement and pressure of making an efficient pit-stop and throws it out the window. Especially during endurance events, where speeding in the pits and other complications should be as common as RL. Considering this is the first sim that actually made me feel as though I am actually driving the car in VR-Rift (I don't get that feeling in iRacing and AC), it is just something that really bugs me. I am sure the Devs have more then enough reasons for it to be the way it is and it wont stop me from playing Project Cars every chance I get. :)

I totally agree with it

It enhances immersion so much!

ONT
01-07-2015, 17:44
The arguments for manual driving in pit area are endless, but the real question is how do we bribe Ian to get it....cigars, whisky, wine ?

Umer Ahmad
01-07-2015, 17:45
The arguments for manual driving in pit area are endless, but the real question is how do we bribe Ian to get it....cigars, whisky, wine ?

He's favorable to hookers and cocaine

Spazzmavrik
01-07-2015, 17:59
My thoughts on this (not that they count), to each there own on how they want to play a "sim". It bumbs me out seeing a lot of complaints that it isn't how they want it, this is a damn good game all in all.

I'm curious how many people in threads like these, that are wanting MORE realism, have ever actually raced a car? Be it a autocross event, or on track with 20 other cars.

ONT
01-07-2015, 18:10
No official racing, but lots of track day events in race cars both in Road and Oval :)

The local tracks are Willow Springs for road, Irwindale and Fontana for OVAL.

FAster
01-07-2015, 18:18
Dear FAster, 25 complaining posts in a row isn't tiring you out a little?

Sorry if my ideas disturbing, but indeed I really like this game, I am trying to push this game do the better. Complaining post better than sarcasm right ? See the people whose posting silly .gif images..
PS: No one likes whistleblowers. Sorry for the inconvenience.

LordDRIFT
01-07-2015, 18:30
Sorry if my ideas disturbing, but indeed I really like this game, I am trying to push this game do the better. Complaining post better than sarcasm right ? See the people whose posting silly .gif images..
PS: No one likes whistleblowers. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/anthony-davis-unibrow-meme.jpg

LordDRIFT
01-07-2015, 18:37
I rather drive through people, than don't drive at all. I didn't have an issue with other games, doing it that way. I think the main point is to not lose control of the car at any time. Most of the people who want that feature don't really care how it's done. Maybe make it optional.

This makes no sense to me , but to each his own I guess.

Im Sorry
01-07-2015, 18:43
Ian.Important question I NEED answered.What you having for your dinner?

Mad Al
01-07-2015, 19:15
Ian.Important question I NEED answered.What you having for your dinner?

Liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti....

jgaganas
01-07-2015, 19:15

I like "options": realistic automatic/ghosts manual

galaxyjack
01-07-2015, 19:20
Pit crew is a must for a race simulator

MrBlacky
01-07-2015, 19:21

Thats not a problem. You just have to edit your stretegy on track like in rfactor.

@Ian Bell: Thanks for the reply. Looking forward.

wraithsrike
01-07-2015, 19:35
Im a bit lost with this thread, we all know full animated pits are coming the SMS guys have all ready confirmed this.

LordDRIFT
01-07-2015, 19:41
Liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti....

haha the same thing popped into my head. I just didn't bother to type it.

bodyshop
01-07-2015, 20:15

Disagree totally, Vettel was famous during his spell at Red Bull for pushing to find the limits during practice sessions to the point he'd end up in gravel or barrier at some point most race weekends...just look at the run off on race tracks now, the safety devices, the safety in the cars, the crashes they can just walk away from....Martin Brundle has even said that drivers these days dont have a fear factor at all and that's not how it should be... your wrong. I still have a reason not to crash on PCars or any other driving game as i just don't want to crash..

If say Roseburg when leading the Austrian GP he wasn't taking the last few laps thinking "oh no i may die if i go fast" he was thinking "i don't want to end up in the gravel and lose this race"......

sergiumtz
01-07-2015, 20:21
Disagree totally, Vettel was famous during his spell at Red Bull for pushing to find the limits during practice sessions to the point he'd end up in gravel or barrier at some point most race weekends...just look at the run off on race tracks now, the safety devices, the safety in the cars, the crashes they can just walk away from....Martin Brundle has even said that drivers these days dont have a fear factor at all and that's not how it should be... your wrong. I still have a reason not to crash on PCars or any other driving game as i just don't want to crash..

If say Roseburg when leading the Austrian GP he wasn't taking the last few laps thinking "oh no i may die if i go fast" he was thinking "i don't want to end up in the gravel and lose this race"......

I'm talking about the average Joe, like me and you, not like Vettel that had sponsorships and could afford destrying 150.000 pounds cars like it's nothing. I'm talking about me and you, for example I have a car, do you really think I can afford going to the limit with it on track risking to smash the hell out of it? Nah, don't think so.

ONT
01-07-2015, 20:26
Im a bit lost with this thread, we all know full animated pits are coming the SMS guys have all ready confirmed this.

That certainly doesn't exclude an OPTION for manual pit driving with or without the crew animation present.

Manual pit driving is a BIG thing for a lot of sim racers coming from iRacing, rFactor, Kunis etc and really have a serious part of skill/strategy in OVAL racing.

Im Sorry
01-07-2015, 20:38
He's favorable to hookers and cocaine

Who's not :p

MULTIVITZ
01-07-2015, 20:52
Going as fast as you can to the start of the pits without a speeding penalty is all you need. Manual control in the pit lane? I've played sims with manual control in the pit lane, it is possible, but with this many players on the track? You've seen the trouble it causes in real life, and thats with highly skills well practiced drivers!
And as for assist......some cars are designed to use them, they have to, I could spend all night talking about it. A worse driver for using them, no, a worse driver for not knowing how to use them, yes. A faster lap time without assist, on alot of cars, yes.
Its the drivers call, but sometimes it's forced either way, the question is. Are you ready.

ONT
01-07-2015, 21:01
The system iRacing use with other cars in "ghost" mode is the best working system for multiplayer, enter at correct speed, hit the box, don't go above speed limit existing.

Sounds easy, but not so much during racing.

And a drive through penalty if you mess up :)

Rigid body opponent cars opens up to much mayhem, blocking, greefers etc etc etc.

I have never seen a push for rigid opponents in there forum, and there pretty hard core on realism, but if it's easy coding to have both options for server admin I'm all for it.

Panopticism
01-07-2015, 21:07
There is still some work to do (GT3 cars) but it's fine.

Can you elaborate?

MrBlacky
01-07-2015, 22:39
Can you elaborate?

A little bit too much grip imo. Lap times are too quick.

Bealdor
02-07-2015, 05:49

By how much are they faster for you? Keep in mind that being 2-3 seconds faster than RL drivers on a regular track is not unusual for a video game because of multiple factors.

bodyshop
02-07-2015, 06:52
I'm talking about the average Joe, like me and you, not like Vettel that had sponsorships and could afford destrying 150.000 pounds cars like it's nothing. I'm talking about me and you, for example I have a car, do you really think I can afford going to the limit with it on track risking to smash the hell out of it? Nah, don't think so.

Yes my point exactly, your not worrying about dying so much as worrying about busting your car....... you do 70 odd lap race on a computer game with no option to 'rewind' and by lap 65 you'll be nervous as anything and worried about binning the car....its not a lack of fear factor as adrenaline in rel life takes care of that.

norbs
02-07-2015, 07:43

I can understand that, but my car has run over the lollipop guy on numerous occasions. Is that just a bug at this point?

Bealdor
02-07-2015, 07:47
I can understand that, but my car has run over the lollipop guy on numerous occasions. Is that just a bug at this point?

Yes. I assume this will get fixed when the fully animated pit crews are introduced.

Cornflex
02-07-2015, 07:52
Yes. I assume this will get fixed when the fully animated pit crews are introduced.

Will the pit crews make it into Pcars1?
If so I hope they won't be too much of a performance hit.

Bealdor
02-07-2015, 07:55
Will the pit crews make it into Pcars1?
If so I hope they won't be to much of a performance hit.

Yes they'll come in a future patch. No idea about the performance hit though.

Panopticism
02-07-2015, 08:38
The Corvette has it, you can see it working here on the BLUE LEDs on the driver display. Since Corvette has them I'm gonna guess that all the GTE/GTLM cars have them (why would a competitor want to be at a technology disadvantage?)

see 3:17

http://youtu.be/tGoB_o6q7-U

The LEDs flash blue for wheelspin and red for lockup on the C7R. The fact that it's lighting up blue means nothing more than that the wheels are spinning, so the driver knows to ease up and/or increase the traction control setting.

Most GT cars have a similar indicator system, and it's extremely helpful for managing tire wear and maximizing fuel efficiency.

Edit: I meant the C6R. But the setup is more or less unchanged this year.

MrBlacky
02-07-2015, 08:53
By how much are they faster for you? Keep in mind that being 2-3 seconds faster than RL drivers on a regular track is not unusual for a video game because of multiple factors.

2.14s on Spa-Francorchamps. Thats about 4 Seconds I guess.

It's nothing serious to worry about, the car(s) drive all great.

bodyshop
02-07-2015, 09:34
Its makes no sense to compare real life lap times to a game, you play a game in a different way to real life, thats why its a game. Come on, seriously?

Do some people really think in their head that if they are good at this game they could rock up at Le Mans and get pole?

wraithsrike
02-07-2015, 09:39
Its makes no sense to compare real life lap times to a game, you play a game in a different way to real life, thats why its a game. Come on, seriously?

Do some people really think in their head that if they are good at this game they could rock up at Le Mans and get pole?

I read this post and thought you know what fella your right, people do take these "sims" way to seriously I'm sure some think by playing this game there real race drivers.

I live next to brandshatch and I've driven many high performance cars around that track and as good as any racing sim is its not real life.

Panopticism
02-07-2015, 09:39

That sounds strange. It's one of the few sims I've played that adequately reflects the mid-corner behaviour of a race car.

Lap times are too quick because people do not need to drive the cars realistically, and do not take good racing lines.

As a single example, I was running behind a guy on Laguna Seca who was taking really wide lines to maximize momentum, but he was going wide enough to put an outside tire on the bad side of the rumble strips multiple times per lap. Laguna Seca is an example of a track where you can't really get away with that, because there is practically a cliff on the off-track side of the kerbs that, if you put a tire over, will literally rip the wheel off of your car when you try to bring it back over the strip.

People attack the kerbs every lap in a way that you could get away with once in a while. They drive like maniacs with unlimited tire budget/allowance. It doesn't hurt when they hit the wall. They also develop car setups that allow them to carry on driving like this. They don't drive in a way that would be sustainable for an endurance race.

Perhaps the issue is that there is not enough punishment for disobeying the track limits. Not just in terms of cutting corners, but with improper use of kerbs and stuff like that. They could also add in punctures when you hit the raised bumps on the inside of chicanes and stuff.. you know, the ones that people seem to think are ramps?

Mellowyellow
02-07-2015, 10:11
Good idea from the poster above.

Track limits really need sorting. Had my firsts race on Zolder yesterday. Great track with the undulations but the two tight chicanes has no punishment for taking extreme short cuts. Same goes for the last chicane at Nurburgring GP.

Monza has it right at first chicane. Can't take a short cut there! How it should be.

Raven403
02-07-2015, 11:14
Manual pit lane driving should be optional at best. And if you turn it on there is no crew. That may work for all the PC guys that keep asking for it. Personally I really don't mind autopilot and an animated crew, I play the game for the racing not pit stops. I just want the pit stops to WORK first and foremost.

Also I think alot of people need to remember once you release it on console. It's a Game First a Sim second, sorry but that's just how it is, so I think the real Hardcore Sim guys might be better off sticking with iR or rf2 for the Hardcore but that's just my opinion.

I still consider pcars very much a Sim, the physics, track conditions and weather do that for me, the other stuff is just fluff. I said it before, if pit stops were flawless, even with autopilot i think alot of people would be happy to compromise.

LordDRIFT
02-07-2015, 12:23
That sounds strange. It's one of the few sims I've played that adequately reflects the mid-corner behaviour of a race car.

Lap times are too quick because people do not need to drive the cars realistically, and do not take good racing lines.

As a single example, I was running behind a guy on Laguna Seca who was taking really wide lines to maximize momentum, but he was going wide enough to put an outside tire on the bad side of the rumble strips multiple times per lap. Laguna Seca is an example of a track where you can't really get away with that, because there is practically a cliff on the off-track side of the kerbs that, if you put a tire over, will literally rip the wheel off of your car when you try to bring it back over the strip.

People attack the kerbs every lap in a way that you could get away with once in a while. They drive like maniacs with unlimited tire budget/allowance. It doesn't hurt when they hit the wall. They also develop car setups that allow them to carry on driving like this. They don't drive in a way that would be sustainable for an endurance race.

Perhaps the issue is that there is not enough punishment for disobeying the track limits. Not just in terms of cutting corners, but with improper use of kerbs and stuff like that. They could also add in punctures when you hit the raised bumps on the inside of chicanes and stuff.. you know, the ones that people seem to think are ramps?

Shit dialing enough Fz on a powerful wheel is punishment enough.

MrBlacky
02-07-2015, 12:47

You can watch my lap on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/9Ob0c7Yh4l4

I can understand your arguments with attacking the curbs too aggressively and that stuff. And others say that there is the fear of driving. Well, I raced in real life too and there is not much fear.

And my lap on Spa is pretty much clean driven. So there is a little lack time variation. But as I said already, it's not a serious problem.

MortICi
02-07-2015, 14:40
Good idea from the poster above.

Track limits really need sorting. Had my firsts race on Zolder yesterday. Great track with the undulations but the two tight chicanes has no punishment for taking extreme short cuts. Same goes for the last chicane at Nurburgring GP.

Monza has it right at first chicane. Can't take a short cut there! How it should be.

This is what pisses me off, and exactly what you are talking about. I think some form of damage (canned if necessary) should happen to tires or suspension when you cut them like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pM35RrpAcc

Mellowyellow
02-07-2015, 15:51
This is what pisses me off, and exactly what you are talking about. I think some form of damage (canned if necessary) should happen to tires or suspension when you cut them like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pM35RrpAcc

Exactly, it's ridiculous! It puts a smile on my face when I get the first chicane perfect at Monza and the last chicane at Spa. It's a challenge to get those two chicanes near perfect lap after lap.

Should get a penalty or damage to stop this.

OrenIshii BE
03-07-2015, 06:09
Exactly, it's ridiculous! It puts a smile on my face when I get the first chicane perfect at Monza and the last chicane at Spa. It's a challenge to get those two chicanes near perfect lap after lap.

Should get a penalty or damage to stop this.

I suppose they do get damage, if its set in the options.
In real life this would kill the suspension in only a few laps :D

Panopticism
03-07-2015, 06:55
You can watch my lap on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/9Ob0c7Yh4l4

I can understand your arguments with attacking the curbs too aggressively and that stuff. And others say that there is the fear of driving. Well, I raced in real life too and there is not much fear.

And my lap on Spa is pretty much clean driven. So there is a little lack time variation. But as I said already, it's not a serious problem.

Your lap is excellent. You definitely drop to a lower gear than I would in almost every corner. I would stay in 3rd where you go to 2nd, and I would not be using 1st at all. My reasoning would be saving the tranny, tires and fuel. Many racing series do not allow unlimited tranny/engine swaps, so nobody really hammers on the engine and tranny very hard.

The fear thing is not so much "oh, I'll wait until they've done a risk assessment on the use of that kerb before I risk it". It's more like being critical. You could try to push it way harder, but you know that the harder you push the less likely you are going to be able to keep it up. So you drive at 99.5% or whatever cliché is suitable. Or else you over cook it and crash, miss out on points, maybe hurt yourself, just simply flat spot the tires, etc. It's like trying to let yourself fall flat onto a solid surface. Your body won't let you splat without trying to break the fall.

I agree that it's not really a matter of being scared to drive. It's more like being smarter about it, and only driving as fast as you need to. MotoGP really illustrates this well. Marquez is so fast because he takes on an incredible amount of risk. His lean angle and body position is much, much riskier than anyone else before him. Lean angle = risk. He can get to the point that there is absolutely no further for him to lean; however, once he's built a lead, he tends to get very conservative. All riders do that, because they need to back it off on the tire wear/heat and the chance of making mistakes. With Marquez it's just that much more obvious, because his style is so risky. He also falls and gets hurt a lot.

Then there's also that time that Senna stuffed it into the tire wall at Monaco because he was having a religious experience and all that jazz. Senna drove like a sim racer, I guess. I used to wonder whether or not he was actually clinically insane.

MrBlacky
03-07-2015, 07:23
Your lap is excellent. You definitely drop to a lower gear than I would in almost every corner. I would stay in 3rd where you go to 2nd, and I would not be using 1st at all. My reasoning would be saving the tranny, tires and fuel. Many racing series do not allow unlimited tranny/engine swaps, so nobody really hammers on the engine and tranny very hard.

The fear thing is not so much "oh, I'll wait until they've done a risk assessment on the use of that kerb before I risk it". It's more like being critical. You could try to push it way harder, but you know that the harder you push the less likely you are going to be able to keep it up. So you drive at 99.5% or whatever cliché is suitable. Or else you over cook it and crash, miss out on points, maybe hurt yourself, just simply flat spot the tires, etc. It's like trying to let yourself fall flat onto a solid surface. Your body won't let you splat without trying to break the fall.

I agree that it's not really a matter of being scared to drive. It's more like being smarter about it, and only driving as fast as you need to. MotoGP really illustrates this well. Marquez is so fast because he takes on an incredible amount of risk. His lean angle and body position is much, much riskier than anyone else before him. Lean angle = risk. He can get to the point that there is absolutely no further for him to lean; however, once he's built a lead, he tends to get very conservative. All riders do that, because they need to back it off on the tire wear/heat and the chance of making mistakes. With Marquez it's just that much more obvious, because his style is so risky. He also falls and gets hurt a lot.

Then there's also that time that Senna stuffed it into the tire wall at Monaco because he was having a religious experience and all that jazz. Senna drove like a sim racer, I guess. I used to wonder whether or not he was actually clinically insane.

Yeah. It's a hot lap. That's why I'm using lower gears. You don't really gain any time but it feels quicker :D
Usually I'm driving one gear higher as you would do.

Jan Studenski
08-07-2015, 21:16

Will the pitlimiter be reintroduced?

MrBlacky
03-08-2015, 11:22
It's me again. There are a few more odd things I just can't understand.

- You want to set race laps to 65? Doesn't work, because from 50 on it goes only in 10 steps. WHY?
- Driving aids randomly activated. BMW Z4, you only want to drive with ABS. Next time you drive out of the garage suddenly TC and DSC are on as well.
- Strange things happening (https://youtu.be/_j2dbHXNUSQ)

TAGS Battfink
03-08-2015, 11:48

Have you ever driven ANY car at speed around ANY track? This game is a sim alright, to try and say its not because your personal preferences are not met is silly.

We all know its rough aroind the edges and has issues thay need addressing but when it comes down to the actual racing, this game is pure sim.

They have promised continued support, theres not much more than that they can do.

Dont rush the patches SMS, take your time and get them right ;)

Nats
03-08-2015, 12:21
I quite like the automated pitting actually, I didn't like it in GP4 but here its done ok.

Your list is very subjective. For me changing unscripted career weather, AI breakdowns, properly staffed pitstops and some real race events/championships like Blancpain and proper Formula 1 seasons would add far more to the game than anything on your list of 'needed' features.

But generally I feel this game/sim is far more accurate and better feeling than any other driving game I have played - it really feels like you have proper tyre grip for a start. There is nothing I would say the game 'needs' tbh, I think its pretty much there as a very fun game and a very decent sim as it is.

Onikami
03-08-2015, 13:34
I wish that, like other sims, we can have a custom season/career mode where there are chapionships and seasons and statistics and you can customize if there will be a practice, qualify or all out race with a given time, laps, weather, dificulty and etc. The carreer mode/story mode is great but i crave for more like gm mode or season mode. May it be online or single player.

bmanic
03-08-2015, 13:38
- Strange things happening (https://youtu.be/_j2dbHXNUSQ)

That is HILARIOUS! :)

Very strange bug. How come other people keep finding these weird bugs and I never experience any?

As for the actual driving dynamics/simulation part: It is top notch. End of discussion. Of course it could be better but so could AC, iRacing, GSCE and all the others. Each sim has it's strengths and weaknesses but luckily pCars has one of the best, if not the best, tire models. Which makes ALL the difference.

MrBlacky
03-08-2015, 17:10
How come other people keep finding these weird bugs and I never experience any?

Because, as already mentioned in the thread somewhere, the majority of the people only play career and a bit online but no proper racing.

SwiftyOne
03-08-2015, 18:13
I don't play online, never started a career yet, I don't get any bug at all ??

Namron
04-08-2015, 00:35
Same here... Don't play online at all & haven't done so with any Game/Sim for many many years now.. I've experienced very few bugs & problems so far just doing my own thing sort of & Enjoying it more than I've enjoyed a Racing Game/Sim for a very long time (like around 15 to 20 years lol)...

I know there are still issues that a lot of peeps are having & SMS are looking at to rectify & sort out those I assume (I Hope), But for the most part this Sim works great for me even when I need to spend sometimes a long time tuning & setting up, But that's just another part of the Sim that I like tremendously, It for me... Is all part of the Sim & learning what does what when you do this or that. You then go out & try out your settings & see if what you've changed has made things better or worse.... Think they do the same sort of thing on any race track/ Race meeting don't they?..;)....

Even my FFB on my LOGITECH GT WHEEL worked out the box without me doing very much at all apart from mapping out a couple of buttons e.t.c for various settings like front & rear brake balance I have a designated turn dial on my Wheel that I can adjust in game & on track as I go for that & a couple of other buttons for looking around, Anyway I'm sure you get the idea........ I'm a pretty happy chap with PCars & can only see that getting better & better as SMS fix & add new things (which I hope they will & Think they will be supporting this Sim for a good while yet from what I've been reading since joining only a few days ago :)).....

Nam...