PDA

View Full Version : Auto clutch question / TT question

kyoo
01-07-2015, 17:56
Hi all, I am at work reading some stuff and 2 things came to my mind, if someone can help I appreciate:

- I donīt have much money so I will buy only T300RS, maybe also T3PA. Question is: What are the disvantages of changing gears with paddles and auto clutch using a H shifter car?
I mean, if you use clutch pedal and TH8A, will you drive faster than using auto clutch and paddles?? If that happens, is it on some cars only??

Another doubt I have (this one sounds really noobish I guess):

- On Time Trial leaderboards, I often see cars that I canīt choose on the list for that track, Why is that? Are those DLC cars?

Thanks in advance.

LIONITUSofSPARTA
01-07-2015, 21:13
If you wanted to be technical, it is faster to shift gears with paddles than it is to shift gears (depending on the travel distance b/w gears) with an H-Gate shifter. Here is my take on using paddle shifters and H-gate:

H-Gate:
o immersive gameplay
o complete control (can drop from 5th to 2nd in one motion, vs having to drop through every gear with paddles)
o can offer a higher degree of challenge and realism; there are times that I mis-shift in the middle of an online match and grind gears. Fits in with the "immersive" gameplay

Honestly, I change up my gameplay style to the type of track and car class. I try to replicate the transmission type with the actual car; using paddle shifters for indy and exotics, h-gate for older and sport cars etc... Good luck trying to drive an indy car with an h-gate, your arm would eventually fall off.

If you have the game set up with automatic transmission, you can still use the paddle shifters (think of it as "sport shift" on some euro cars) during gameplay.

Never had a problem with car selection.

Having the option to use either one is good. I don't regret buying the shifter. Hope this helps.

Redslayer
01-07-2015, 22:44
If you wanted to be technical, it is faster to shift gears with paddles than it is to shift gears (depending on the travel distance b/w gears) with an H-Gate shifter. Here is my take on using paddle shifters and H-gate:

H-Gate:
o immersive gameplay
o complete control (can drop from 5th to 2nd in one motion, vs having to drop through every gear with paddles)
o can offer a higher degree of challenge and realism; there are times that I mis-shift in the middle of an online match and grind gears. Fits in with the "immersive" gameplay

Honestly, I change up my gameplay style to the type of track and car class. I try to replicate the transmission type with the actual car; using paddle shifters for indy and exotics, h-gate for older and sport cars etc... Good luck trying to drive an indy car with an h-gate, your arm would eventually fall off.

If you have the game set up with automatic transmission, you can still use the paddle shifters (think of it as "sport shift" on some euro cars) during gameplay.

Never had a problem with car selection.

Having the option to use either one is good. I don't regret buying the shifter. Hope this helps.

After some testing, using the Fanatec shifter set (H pattern), it is faster to use H-pattern with auto clutch than it is to use paddle shifters and auto clutch.

The reason being, when you put the car in gear using the shifter it is instant. While using the paddles there is a slight delay. Of course, the H pattern being faster relies on the user being faster, and not missing a shift. So I think it's fair as is. As most people won't really be able to consistently outshift the paddles.

I always use auto clutch, and always will until the day comes that shifters have force feedback and won't go in gear if the car doesn't. As is, it's terribly unrealistic and time consuming when the car doesn't go into gear, because the shifter does, so you have to pull it back out and then put it back in. Forza is the only racing game I've played so far that handles miss shifts correctly. Grinds the gears, wears on the trans and takes extra time to engage the gear, but still goes in.

kyoo
01-07-2015, 22:55
Thanks for your answer.
I think I will play without shifter for a while and then buy it when possible, it is also very expansive and hard to find where I live.

I see it helps to control the car, mainly due to gear change (5th to 2nd example), but if I race using paddles against someone using the shifter, both using an older car, I wonīt be in a HUGE disavantage right? Except for the lack of immersive gameplay that you mentioned... Maybe the faster gear change I will make in paddles can become an advantage for me?

Thanks for the explanation again.

LIONITUSofSPARTA
01-07-2015, 22:58
After some testing, using the Fanatec shifter set (H pattern), it is faster to use H-pattern with auto clutch than it is to use paddle shifters and auto clutch.

I always use auto clutch, and always will until the day comes that shifters have force feedback and won't go in gear if the car doesn't. As is, it's terribly unrealistic and time consuming when the car doesn't go into gear, because the shifter does, so you have to pull it back out and then put it back in. Forza is the only racing game I've played so far that handles miss shifts correctly. Grinds the gears, wears on the trans and takes extra time to engage the gear, but still goes in.

PCars simulates mis-shifts, albeit not as good as forza. I'll admit that it is a little wonky right now in pcars; same as with ignition system. It's laughable at best, there are no turnover sounds for the engine, its either on or off. I agree with FFB for paddle shifters... I think the same should be done for H-gate shifters with FFB, you can't shift into gear on a real car without the clutch being engaged. Being that all of our gear is sim gear, you really can't replicated that apart from having the gear grinding noise in game. To each his own, but if I am using my H-gate, I'm using the clutch for the immersion. Perhaps I will try the H-gate with auto-clutch tonight to see how it feels. BTW, how do you like the CSR? I've been infatuated with Thrustmaster for the last few years and haven't looked back.

LIONITUSofSPARTA
01-07-2015, 23:02
Thanks for your answer.
I think I will play without shifter for a while and then buy it when possible, it is also very expansive and hard to find where I live.

I see it helps to control the car, mainly due to gear change (5th to 2nd example), but if I race using paddles against someone using the shifter, both using an older car, I wonīt be in a HUGE disavantage right? Except for the lack of immersive gameplay that you mentioned... Maybe the faster gear change I will make in paddles can become an advantage for me?

Thanks for the explanation again.

No problem. And honestly, I didn't buy my gear shifter until many months after I had my wheel set. Play the game with manual shifting only to get used to it (it is very challenging to shift manually, depending on the class) if you feel comfortable with it after a while, then look into buying an actual shifter. But if you can't get the hang of manual shifting with paddles, then don't bother with an h-gate shifter. See you on the track!

Redslayer
01-07-2015, 23:06
PCars simulates mis-shifts, albeit not as good as forza. I'll admit that it is a little wonky right now in pcars; same as with ignition system. It's laughable at best, there are no turnover sounds for the engine, its either on or off. I agree with FFB for paddle shifters... I think the same should be done for H-gate shifters with FFB, you can't shift into gear on a real car without the clutch being engaged. Being that all of our gear is sim gear, you really can't replicated that apart from having the gear grinding noise in game. To each his own, but if I am using my H-gate, I'm using the clutch for the immersion. Perhaps I will try the H-gate with auto-clutch tonight to see how it feels. BTW, how do you like the CSR? I've been infatuated with Thrustmaster for the last few years and haven't looked back.

The clutch still works when using auto clutch, it just eliminates the miss-shifts. So I'll alternate from clutch+H-pattern to H-pattern only to paddles, sometimes in the same race lol.

The other advantage to H-pattern with AC, is that you can still left foot brake, while still enjoying the use of a H-pattern.

I've had my CSR for 3 years, and I have no regrets. Fanatec support is about useless, but luckily I've had no major issues with the wheel, shifter or pedals. I love my wheel, and for the pedals alone, I don't want to switch away from Fanatec. Having the load cell and it being adjustable on the fly is great. I'll just slide by foot between the pedals and adjust it with my toe mid race sometimes if I'm having trouble with lock ups lol.

Though I did adjust it the wrong way once and plowed the wall in the next corner lmao.

Edit : Also, glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by the ignition thing lol. I usually hold the throttle a bit to mask it because it annoys me.

MULTIVITZ
01-07-2015, 23:43
On Forza you can literally tell what part of the gear synchro has baulked, its that good.

I found auto clutch the way to go with most cars on Pcars. A bit robotic, but if you use your throttle accordingly it can be very fast at shifting!

jason
01-07-2015, 23:55
paddle shifters with auto clutch , you will be faster and more consistent.........

Immersion H pattern or even sequential is pretty fun with a shifter .

wyldanimal
02-07-2015, 05:24

The reason being, when you put the car in gear using the shifter it is instant. While using the paddles there is a slight delay. Of course, the H pattern being faster relies on the user being faster, and not missing a shift. So I think it's fair as is. As most people won't really be able to consistently outshift the paddles.

for cars that have a sequential type gear box. Patch 2.0 will correct this Paddle / H-shifter speed difference.
The H shifter will now step down or up through the gears with the same delays as the paddle shifters.

cars that Have a manual style Gear box, you'll still be able to skip gears with the H shifter.

LotusTeam
02-07-2015, 08:13
Pls rectify me if I am wrong..........for now in patch 1.4 all cars that originally have manual gear box in real life would have "shift delays" when using paddle shifter on wheel (T300), right?

Bealdor
02-07-2015, 08:21
Pls rectify me if I am wrong..........for now in patch 1.4 all cars that originally have manual gear box in real life would have "shift delays" when using paddle shifter on wheel (T300), right?

Correct.