PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please explain...

Bruusie
01-07-2015, 22:00
What is the point of 2 x mega patches claiming to address all manner of trivial and not so trivial issues when you can't even enter the game to actually race!!?

Again I have made numerous attempts to enter a MP race only to be faced with...infinite track loading, no drive option, and even a black screen when leaving the lobby...but eventually I was able to sneek in to a race only to be strapped to the effing bumper!

I have limited time to enjoy gaming and with P Cars I just seem to be wasting that valuable time doing nothing. After the 2nd patch I am totally dismayed with this game and the lack of any explanation (that I can find) that addresses these fundamental issues that I and many others are experiencing. If it was Sky or BBC that were supplying a service that you could only use intermittently there would be a major statement to explain the situation and address furious customers

Yours,

Dismayed.

John Hargreaves
01-07-2015, 22:11
Try against the AI, they are better than most people you get online and you'll not waste any time getting on track.

FA RACING 01
01-07-2015, 22:14
I think this problem was reported by other members around here mate. I havn't experienced it, so best other members to advise you. Hope you get sorted out soon.

PeoplesChampion
01-07-2015, 22:14
What is the point of 2 x mega patches claiming to address all manner of trivial and not so trivial issues when you can't even enter the game to actually race!!?

Again I have made numerous attempts to enter a MP race only to be faced with...infinite track loading, no drive option, and even a black screen when leaving the lobby...but eventually I was able to sneek in to a race only to be strapped to the effing bumper!

I have limited time to enjoy gaming and with P Cars I just seem to be wasting that valuable time doing nothing. After the 2nd patch I am totally dismayed with this game and the lack of any explanation (that I can find) that addresses these fundamental issues that I and many others are experiencing. If it was Sky or BBC that were supplying a service that you could only use intermittently there would be a major statement to explain the situation and address furious customers

Yours,

Dismayed.

Honestly, unless you are a die-hard fan.. I would say message Ian Bell and ask for a refund.. I'm not sure if he really does it, but ive seen him post it more than once. I'm in the die-hard fan catagory, but I am definitely not going to encourage patience anymore.

Robski
02-07-2015, 02:40
Try against the AI, they are better than most people you get online and you'll not waste any time getting on track.

That is your solution?

Alan Dallas
02-07-2015, 03:23
That is your solution?

It's a valid option, not a solution. Read into things much?

Robski
02-07-2015, 03:27
It's a valid option, not a solution. Read into things much?

So... If I want to play online, but I have issues with online (mentioned in the OP), you suggest I play against the AI? Gotcha. This forum, seriously...

Alan Dallas
02-07-2015, 03:32
So... If I want to play online, but I have issues with online (mentioned in the OP), you suggest I play against the AI? Gotcha. This forum, seriously...

Noooo.. John was giving you an option so you can play, period. Why is that so hard to understand?

Robski
02-07-2015, 03:46
Noooo.. John was giving you an option so you can play, period. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because the OP wants to play online? Not against AI? Sure, I'm the one who fails to understand.

TenthDan
02-07-2015, 03:56
Settle down guys.

resmania
02-07-2015, 04:16
For me those situations(No drive option, infinite loading, locked to bumper cam) happens two or three times if I play the game around one or two hours.
So yeah, it is a very common bug and need to be fixed ASAP.

John Hargreaves
02-07-2015, 09:33
That is your solution?

As Alan said, it's not a solution, just a suggestion to help you get into the game. There are many many people really enjoying this game, and although there are still issues, the core game is brilliant. If you play against AI for a while, you may get to see the game in a better light and start to feel a bit less frustrated.

So I wasn't being flippant; I do believe that the standard of racecraft in the AI is better than a lot of online players I have found, to the point where I find it more enjoyable to set up a well matched AI race which I can get started on straight away. Personally I prefer to do without a 90 minute practice and 15min quali, only to be punted off on the first corner by five guys behind using me as the brake.

One thing I've learned is that to get the best out of the AI, you need to race them exactly like real drivers and give them room, and be prepared to back off if necessary and wait for the next opportunity to pass. In my experience, in most games I end up treating the AI with contempt, but pCars rewards a more pro driver approach.

So the bottom line is that I want you to enjoy this game as much as I do, and if you are any sort of racing fan, it would be a shame if you sacked this title thinking it was no good. I do hope you get a handle on the game somehow.

UMadBro
02-07-2015, 09:36
How you adjust the AI and if the AI is faster than you matters in your singleplayer experience. I say P. Cars should be more like Mario Kart!

John Hargreaves
02-07-2015, 09:58
You can set the AI up in a number of different ways. A lot depends on what you want from a race, so for total realism, find an AI % value that matches your own time (trial and error, but start at 80%). This will give realistic races, but that can be a lonely experience if the one in front is a tiny bit faster than you and the one behind is a bit slower, so you spend all the race pretty much alone on track after the first couple of laps.

Another way, which is my favourite, is to start at the back of the grid, but nudge the AI ability down a bit, so you have a chance of catching them one by one. If you judge it right you can do a 15 lap race with maybe a 20 car grid, lining up your moves several corners ahead and taking them one at a time. I've done this quite a lot, and the feeling of taking the lead on the last turn is great because you have had to work hard to get it. Sometimes I have lost by 0.003s and that is quite a rush too.

If you get the AI level so that you have to drive to your best ability, without being able to afford a single mistake, but can still just scrape the win there are few finer gaming moments to be had.

Bruusie
02-07-2015, 12:06
Thanks for the feedback guys but what I really want first and foremost is an answer as to:
1. Why do these fundamental issues still exist?
2. What is causing them to happen?
3. What reasons do the developers have for not being able to offer a fix?

As far as I can see there are no formal explanations at all... a real elephant in the room.

Sure I can play against AI but I can do a bunch of other things like play on umpteen other MP games that are not broken.

John Hargreaves
02-07-2015, 13:28
Thing is the guys are still working on getting things sorted, and only today I saw a fix go in for the drive button issue. I totally agree that the multiplayer could improve; it's probably the least satisfying aspect of the game for me at this stage.

However overall I'm still happy with what I can play, and it just gives us something to look forward to when it's sorted fully. I've put plenty of hours into this game and there are still cars and tracks that I have barely explored fully.

Fair enough though, if online play is your favourite I can totally understand the frustration, but if you put the time in to learn the cars and tracks offline v AI, you'll be a total badass by the time you get online regularly.

MortICi
02-07-2015, 14:12
Thanks for the feedback guys but what I really want first and foremost is an answer as to:

As far as I can see there are no formal explanations at all... a real elephant in the room.

Sure I can play against AI but I can do a bunch of other things like play on umpteen other MP games that are not broken.

1. Because more critical game breaking (fundamental game, not MP) bugs exist and took priority
2. Errors in code that need to get sorted
3. See # 1. + Time, testing, approval.

That's the best I got. I have been lucky to only run into the can't drive bug once. As for the infinite loading issue, seems to be a bug with connections probably dropping during session start (bad ping/connection players) If you wait long enough the game will load but you will only see 2 or 3 people in the session (when there was 14 in lobby). Don't know the root cause but again I only had that happen twice so far...

Additionally there are a lot of variables at play, especially on the PC platform. As John has mentioned, you probably will get more reward from single player at this time than MP, simply due to the fact that unless your in a private race the public races tend to have rammers....

bisco
02-07-2015, 14:22
I'm sure it will be fixed, but maybe not before people move on to other games. I'm more worried about this than I am about whether or not fixes happen. I spent about half an hour trying to get in a game last night, so I expect this is already happening. The only one I got into where I wasn't put in a lobby alone, I couldn't load into the race. The game really shouldn't be this broken

F2kSel
02-07-2015, 14:38
All ready noticed servers are down from 50 to less than half with half the number of players in them.

I had a mate who rang me and asked if he should buy the game and knowing that he wouldn't put up with the current level of bugs I had to advise him against it right now.

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 15:31
You can set the AI up in a number of different ways. A lot depends on what you want from a race, so for total realism, find an AI % value that matches your own time (trial and error, but start at 80%). This will give realistic races, but that can be a lonely experience if the one in front is a tiny bit faster than you and the one behind is a bit slower, so you spend all the race pretty much alone on track after the first couple of laps.

Another way, which is my favourite, is to start at the back of the grid, but nudge the AI ability down a bit, so you have a chance of catching them one by one. If you judge it right you can do a 15 lap race with maybe a 20 car grid, lining up your moves several corners ahead and taking them one at a time. I've done this quite a lot, and the feeling of taking the lead on the last turn is great because you have had to work hard to get it. Sometimes I have lost by 0.003s and that is quite a rush too.

If you get the AI level so that you have to drive to your best ability, without being able to afford a single mistake, but can still just scrape the win there are few finer gaming moments to be had.

That's 99% of my pCars gaming right there. Absolute buzz!

Mahjik
02-07-2015, 15:53

1. They aren't likely as easy to fix as you might perceive.
2. They aren't sure of the root cause, therefore there isn't a fix yet
3. 1 & 2 combined

Do you really believe they don't care about bugs? Every software developer on the planet hates bugs more than the people using the software and experiencing the bugs. Trust me; I've been in software development since 1993. As soon as they have a handle on the issue and can design a solution, we'll have it. It bothers them a LOT more than it bothers you.

Bruusie
03-07-2015, 10:45
3. 1 & 2 combined

Do you really believe they don't care about bugs? Every software developer on the planet hates bugs more than the people using the software and experiencing the bugs. Trust me; I've been in software development since 1993. As soon as they have a handle on the issue and can design a solution, we'll have it. It bothers them a LOT more than it bothers you.

No, I don't believe they don't care but I do believe there should be some clear acceptance and explanation of the problems which prevent me and others from playing the game the way we expected to.
If I'm sitting in a plane on a runway going nowhere it's much better to know why and what's being done to rectify the situation...if they plain don't know or it's proving too difficult to fix then fair enough but just tell us.
As far as I know there is no indication when the above issues will be sorted if ever.
Knowing, either way, would be nice...please.

Martin G Webb
03-07-2015, 11:19
Bruusie,

Just an off the wall thought, what controller are you using, (or trying to) for pCARS ?

The reason I ask is that certain controller, profile software has been known to 'Complicate' issues with the game starting.

Mangoat
03-07-2015, 11:47
That's 99% of my pCars gaming right there. Absolute buzz!

+1
I find that when learning a new track I use a few (8 or so) AI drivers and set their skill to about 60%. It forces you to drive off the racing line and think about how to use the track extents. I'll slowly raise their skill until I'm losing more than I'm winning and play at that level "Competitively"

Mahjik
03-07-2015, 16:28
As far as I know there is no indication when the above issues will be sorted if ever.
Knowing, either way, would be nice...please.

That's what the "Knows Issues" list is for... (see my sigature)

Robski
03-07-2015, 17:07
3. 1 & 2 combined

http://www.vg247.com/2015/03/11/project-cars-sees-another-release-delay-now-slated-for-may/

apparently the game was 99.9% complete before the last delay. What happened since?

Only answers please, preferably constructive. Thanks.

Ian Bell
03-07-2015, 17:15
http://www.vg247.com/2015/03/11/project-cars-sees-another-release-delay-now-slated-for-may/

apparently the game was 99.9% complete before the last delay. What happened since?

Only answers please, preferably constructive. Thanks.

Give it a rest Robski. We're really given you a LOT of leeway.

omgitsbees
03-07-2015, 17:18
I've been playing with friends since the beta and have had no issues. I have a weekly group that gets together and races and we are enjoying PCARS a lot.

D1rty Duck UK
03-07-2015, 17:55
While the single player career is ok (bit repetitive when your save game goes missing) I disagree that the AI is Better than humans. Its not fun that weather doesn't affect them, tyre temp doesn't affect them, no slowing down while in the gravel etc... Yes I know it's being fixed but we are a couple of months after release. Basic Testing should have picked up on this. Makes you wonder what scenarios were tested if any at all on xbox one. Let's not forget the fiasco of the controller bug.

I brought this game for online and so far I think I've managed to get in to about 4 races in total online. Other online games no issue at all. I do believe SMS are doing everything possible to fix the online issues, but as someone has already mentioned patience is starting to wear a little thin now.

For instance I tried to get online last night and this time I couldn't select a car class as it was blank in search for a game. First time I've seen that, but that shouldn't happen.

Bruusie
03-07-2015, 19:14
Bruusie,

Just an off the wall thought, what controller are you using, (or trying to) for pCARS ?

The reason I ask is that certain controller, profile software has been known to 'Complicate' issues with the game starting.

Using Driving Force GT Wheel...are there any known issues with using this controller?

Toxic
03-07-2015, 21:09
I have that wheel, but have only seen a couple of instances where online lobbies were troublesome.

My logitech profiler loads at system start FYI.