PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn on false starts?

TXcountry
02-07-2015, 00:52
How do I turn them on? In career mode.
Can't seem to find a setting for it.

jason
02-07-2015, 01:53
I do believe the false starts are always on as part of the racing rules , it is a known glitch that you can jump the lights a little bit ........... I would think this will be fixed at a later date.

Arkhaine
02-07-2015, 02:26
If you have manual shifting turned on you can shift to 1st gear and do a false start. However I doubt that any CPU vehicles will ever false start, they are far too "perfect".

TXcountry
02-07-2015, 02:49
I've yet to get a false start in any race. I have no control of the car until it's green flag.

Arkhaine
02-07-2015, 05:14
I've yet to get a false start in any race. I have no control of the car until it's green flag.

Then you're bugged. If you have manual shift then all you have to do is shift to 1st then press the gas. People tend to do it to get the Sunday Driver trophy because the trophy pops with the disqualification. If you don't have manual shift turned on then it won't work (i.e. if you have it set to automatic shifting but you switch the gear to 1st it won't work, in your settings at the main menu it must say manual)

wyldanimal
02-07-2015, 05:16
I'm not sure that jumping the Lights is a Bug.
There is a trophy for jumping the start by 0.200 seconds..
Meaning you shifted into 1st, and stomped on the gas within 0.200 before the green lights came on..

maybe to OP is using an Automatic trans..
That could explain, not being able to go till the green lights come on..

But with a manual Trans, you can Shift into 1st and stomp the gas anytime...
If you go too soon, ( before that 0.200 window ) you get a Jumped Start, pit drive through penalty.
or if you time it just right, you win a trophy

Deadzone
02-07-2015, 05:17
Also make sure you have flags and penalties turned on.

Arkhaine
02-07-2015, 05:35
Meaning you shifted into 1st, and stomped on the gas within 0.200 before the green lights came on..

The Trophy is for hitting the gas within 0.2 seconds of the lights turning green, not before. The reason I said he may be bugged is because the OP responded saying he still couldn't do it even after explaining how.

Arkhaine
02-07-2015, 05:47
Here's a video showing how it works. :) Hope that clears things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIMLFcX0HM

wyldanimal
02-07-2015, 07:27
The Trophy is for hitting the gas within 0.2 seconds of the lights turning green, not before. The reason I said he may be bugged is because the OP responded saying he still couldn't do it even after explaining how.

No, it's like the Tree at a drag strip... if you wait for the Green, you already lost..
Reaction time, is getting on the gas, at just the right instant, so you're car is already Launching when the Green Light goes green.
So you need to react just after the last Yellow, but Slightly before the green.

If you're too quick, you get DQ'ed, Jumped the start..
too Slow, and you're Still sitting there after the light goes green..

time it just right, and you have a really low Reaction time...

So pCars gives you a 0.200 window to react Before the light Turns Green.
React within 0.200 Before the Green Light.. that gets you the trophy...

Arkhaine
02-07-2015, 07:46
So pCars gives you a 0.200 window to react Before the light Turns Green.
React within 0.200 Before the Green Light.. that gets you the trophy...

Except I've gotten this trophy using Automatic shifting, (meaning the game won't even let you go before the starting grid turns green). The exact wording of the trophy even states it the way I explain it.

*Ready To Pounce* - "Had a reaction time of less than 0.2 secs off the starting grid"

If it truly was the way you say, it would only be possible to get this trophy using manual shifting since the game won't allow you to "jump" so to speak with Auto.

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 08:50
Except I've gotten this trophy using Automatic shifting, (meaning the game won't even let you go before the starting grid turns green). The exact wording of the trophy even states it the way I explain it.

*Ready To Pounce* - "Had a reaction time of less than 0.2 secs off the starting grid"

If it truly was the way you say, it would only be possible to get this trophy using manual shifting since the game won't allow you to "jump" so to speak with Auto.

Yeah I agree with this, don't touch the Accelerator until the light turns green and try to press it with in .2 of a second, manual or Automatic.

Fong74
02-07-2015, 10:43
0.2 seconds would be very fine with me. But my impression is, that you can jump start almost a second before the green lights turn on. Or am I mistaken here?

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 11:10
Yes, only in Manual Gears.

tgrey
02-07-2015, 11:13
0.2 seconds would be very fine with me. But my impression is, that you can jump start almost a second before the green lights turn on. Or am I mistaken here?

I'm not sure, I'm still pretty new... but my theory is that on tracks with a start box and you're using a smaller car, you can jump the green as long as you don't leave the start box. I haven't tested this much, but just basing it off a few days of observations and trying to master the (seemingly) inconsistent timing, which is why I suspect it's track related.

Fong74
02-07-2015, 11:34
So the "jump start" effect (lets call is that way until we know if its an issue or not) is related to the shifting method and the size of the car in relation to the start box?

Please correct the following, if Im wrong, or add infos if necessary

Shifting method: manual would be the one affected then, as I never tried the automatic version tbh
Start box: the false start message is displayed and a drivethrough penalty is issued if the car leaves the start box too erarly? That would be a correct approach imho, but I was not aware that it worked like that

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 12:05
So the "jump start" effect (lets call is that way until we know if its an issue or not) is related to the shifting method and the size of the car in relation to the start box?

Shifting method: manual would be the one affected then, as I never tried the automatic version tbh
Start box: the false start message is displayed and a drivethrough penalty is issued if the car leaves the start box too erarly? That would be a correct approach imho, but I was not aware that it worked like that

Im quite confused by your post:

A jump start is usually if your car moves, whether its an inch or a metre, regardless whether you crossed your grid box or stopped again. Once your car has been set, it cannot move until the green light is shown. Some will "hop" forward, stop and then go on green, others will slowly release the clutch and roll very slowly just before the green and carry on going. - Thats generally how it happens in real life. (in real life they don't have a green, the red lights just go out.

What I think users are experiencing & describing is a bug which doesn't register car movement as a jump start between the final red light and the green. I don't think it has anything to do with the grid boxes, because in a few tracks they're simple painted onto the track and cars line up evenly spaced but in no relation to the painted grid box.

tgrey
02-07-2015, 12:46

Yes, that's just my theory based loosely off observation, I have no tests or data to back it up.

Fong74
02-07-2015, 13:17
I was just writing down how I understood the issue after reading the last posts... So it seems thats a good point to continue the discussion :yes:

First I must say, there is something about the start sequence that is irritating to some drivers. Thats the reason our racing community has switched to flying starts in our events for the time being. Ppl identified the current behaviour as a "bug". Reading through this thread made me think, we might be wrong though.

In RL you are not allowed to cross a certain line, which is defined by the "start box" (weather its painted on the track or not), before the race starts. Be it by red lights that go off or green lights that go on. Doesnt matter. Lets call it the race starts when a start signal occurs. My question here would be: Am I allowed to move the car before the start signal occurs in RL? Would that be ok as long as my car does not cross the "start box" line? If thats true, the current pCars implementation would be correct imho.

So the interesting part for me now is to determine how pCars really works here...

Currently one can:

1. Set gears, press brake/throttle/clutch once placed in the grid (standard for most racing titles, e.g. Gran Turismo or Forza)
2. Start rolling once placed in the grid and put into the defined racing cam/view (thats the sim approach, e.g. iRacing)
3. Now this is the important part: get the car moving quite some time (Ill say about 1 second, but thats just a gut feeling based on very few personal experiences) before the green light (aka start signal) is displayed

Shifting method:
The question here is, does it have an impact on the above bahaviour? I cant tell as Im always going by the manual method...

Any help/input would be appreciated, as I would like to either correct ppls opinion in my racing community that there is a bug in the starting procedure. Or address this to the devs for future patches, if really necessary.

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 13:29
I was just writing down how I understood the issue after reading the last posts... So it seems thats a good point to continue the discussion :yes:

In RL you are not allowed to cross a certain line, which is defined by the "start box" (weather its painted on the track or not), before the race starts. Be it by red lights that go off or green lights that go on. Doesnt matter. Lets call it the race starts when a start signal occurs. My question here would be: Am I allowed to move the car before the start signal occurs in RL? Would that be ok as long as my car does not cross the "start box" line? If thats true, the current pCars implementation would be correct imho.

So the interesting part for me now is to determine how pCars really works here...

The rolling but not crossing a line seems very strange if that is the correct rules. Why would people not start 5 metres back from their grid box, and star 1 second before the other cars and reaching a higher speed and therefore gaining an advantage. So I would answer no to that, because once your car is stationary, your car cannot move until it is giving the start signal.

Fong74
02-07-2015, 13:51
I aggree. So we do have an issue with pCars atm. Because moving before the start signal occurs is allowed currently. And the effect is exactly as you stated: some guys gain a certain momentum at race start that is quite huge. Too huge imho.

A solution could be, that you get the false start penalty, when your wheels start moving, before the green lights get turned on (+- 0.2 seconds for example). I think thats how it is implemented in Gran Turismo and iRacing.

Mike Laskey
02-07-2015, 13:53
False start tolerances have been adjusted (but are not in a patch available to you yet).

Fong74
02-07-2015, 13:55
Thanks a lot for the update, Mike :angel: Will wait for the next one, no issues. Rolling starts will do fine for the time being...

Appreciate you adjusted it!

TXcountry
02-07-2015, 14:30
I'm using automatic with flags and penalties on. I got the trophy like the second time I played. And as far as I'm aware all I did was hold down the gas and when the light went green it let me go.
I was under the impression there was a way to have control of your car before the race went green. Just from what I had seen in other posts and such about people mentioning getting the penalty for jumping the start.

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 14:45
I aggree. So we do have an issue with pCars atm. Because moving before the start signal occurs is allowed currently. And the effect is exactly as you stated: some guys gain a certain momentum at race start that is quite huge. Too huge imho.

A solution could be, that you get the false start penalty, when your wheels start moving, before the green lights get turned on (+- 0.2 seconds for example). I think thats how it is implemented in Gran Turismo and iRacing.

I'm not sure if its the same in motor sport but if you move within .1 of a second from the sound of a starter pistol in athletics, its deemed as a false start because its impossible for a human mind to react that fast. Like I said, that's Athletics though. If you jump the start by like a second ore two, then yes, you do get a penalty in PCars. I might try it Online, ill take a drive through, beats getting smashed up on the first corner.

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 14:46
False start tolerances have been adjusted (but are not in a patch available to you yet).

Not our patch yet because we are on PS4 or not in the 2.0 patch whatsoever?

chig88
02-07-2015, 15:01

maybe to OP is using an Automatic trans..
That could explain, not being able to go till the green lights come on..

But with a manual Trans, you can Shift into 1st and stomp the gas anytime...
If you go too soon, ( before that 0.200 window ) you get a Jumped Start, pit drive through penalty.
or if you time it just right, you win a trophy

The trophy is for reacting 0.2 of a second after the lights, not before.

As mentioned above, it's possible to get the trophy with automatic shifting, which doesn't even let you move until the light goes green.

Mike Laskey
02-07-2015, 15:15
Not our patch yet because we are on PS4 or not in the 2.0 patch whatsoever?

Hi, I made the changes earlier this week, so the jump start changes will be in the next update after 2.0.

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 15:18
Thanks Mike.

Dazza
02-07-2015, 16:00

is such a annoying bug, i brought this up when the game came out. gives you a massive advantage in single player and multi player. made some videos, if you slow mo it like others were saying, you just start rolling but not enough to leave your grid box so no penalty is given but you get so much more momentum.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dazza83/video/2457275

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dazza83/video/2457274

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 22:50
is such a annoying bug, i brought this up when the game came out. gives you a massive advantage in single player and multi player. made some videos, if you slow mo it like others were saying, you just start rolling but not enough to leave your grid box so no penalty is given but you get so much more momentum.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dazza83/video/2457275

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dazza83/video/2457274

Yeah but that's done in career mode where AI are slow at getting off the line. But yes, it's not right, it's in the same bracket as corner cutting, it's not right, but people will do it if the game allows them.