PDA

View Full Version : Competitive using Auto Trans??

ROTTEN
02-07-2015, 12:02
I'm curious if there are any drivers out there using auto transmission that feel they are just as competitive and just as fast as manual users? I recently switched to Auto just for the hell of it to see how it would affect my times and to my surprise I find myself getting faster times and being able to win races against the AI at a higher difficulty than before. This isn't a discussion about which is faster, manual or auto ...... just curious if there are any auto users able to keep up with the manual aliens?

Pink_650S
02-07-2015, 12:45
I'm curious if there are any drivers out there using auto transmission that feel they are just as competitive and just as fast as manual users?

This isn't a discussion about which is faster, manual or auto .....

:confused:

BTT: I personally think there's no doubt that manual shifting is faster.

wraithsrike
02-07-2015, 12:50
Depends how good you are at manual shifting, a lot of race cars are semi automatic nowadays anyways and can change gear alot faster than a human can.

But ingame a good fast driver will be fast whatever, test your lap time with both and stick with your preference I'd say.

k.merse
02-07-2015, 12:52
Manual shifting becomes faster once you get used to it. At firs tit's very difficult, but then you'll realize that you have a lot of room to play around (not shifting back or shifting up earlier) and that can help your driving smoother.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-07-2015, 14:45
I play automatic. My second day with the game I started practicing manual and never finished the switch because between racing and engineering I never got back to the manual transmission. The only thing where I seem to be at a small disadvantage is restarts. The manual guys can really open up on restarts. Im normally in the top 3 if not first when qualifying in public rooms. When I buy the new controller I will probably go to manual but for now I don't personally like the bumper shifting method. I know I can reconfigure but until I start getting my doors blown off I think I'm fine. I also found that you can really tune well around the automatic transmission which is another reason I haven't switched yet. Playing around with the ratios and the diff page you can get the gears to hit how and where you want them to hit on the track. My main concern at the moment is seeing am I faster with my assist off. In every other racing game I've ever played the assist slow you down so much. I've found that not to be the case with P cars.

My buddys are ready to race every night so I haven't had a lot of time to practice new things but I guess it's a matter of preference. The main thing for me is that I know that I'm going to be playing this game for the next 2 years so it's no rush for me to become a professional yet besides me and my buddys are having to much fun racing to worry about it. This is the beauty of P cars it lets you be who you are and doesn't force you to be what it wants you to be. If you drive auto don't be scared of the so called professionals because your probably faster than them. The real professionals are some where in the world making big money in real cars. Enjoy your game.

ROTTEN
02-07-2015, 16:49
Manual shifting becomes faster once you get used to it. At firs tit's very difficult, but then you'll realize that you have a lot of room to play around (not shifting back or shifting up earlier) and that can help your driving smoother.

I'm aware manual is faster in the right hands, but I'm just curious if there are any drivers using auto that can hold their own or even dominate other "manual" drivers. Are there many auto drivers on the leader boards?

Diablo944
02-07-2015, 16:53
The starts are the only issue i have with manual. Everybody else sits with there foot to the floor and the car auto launches when the loghts go green. Manual drivers have to get launch right or you get a jump start. Would be nice if all players had that same risk of a jump start and not just manual drivers.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-07-2015, 16:57
With the Radical SR8 at Dubai International community event XBOX 1 was as high as 43 last time I checked I was either 68th or 73rd with a 1:28:898 after tweaking the car a little more I ran a 1:28:6 in free practice.

xautos
02-07-2015, 17:06
depending on the car engine sounds, i can race manual no problem like auto. reguarly auto has me in the wrong gear in a critical corner so i luckily have the ability to downshift in these corners, usually take of half a second to a second.

as far as engine sounds go, with the mclaren 12c towards the end of the rev range of all the gears it gets to its highest point about 3/4 of the way in and it starts growling at lower noise then it hits the limiter, i usually hit the next gear just as it starts getting quieter at the end of each gear. for a car like porsche i have no yet mastered it, the rev range is consitant and usually shorter acceleration then the 12c, so im mostly bumping into the rev limiter. the bmw is an easy one because of how loud the engine revs are but i dont really like driving the bmw cars.