PDA

View Full Version : F1 Silverstone - July 2015

QPRLad
02-07-2015, 13:44
Anyone from SMS or other PCars fans heading to Silverstone this weekend?

Robbo-92
02-07-2015, 17:38
I wish :( No one I actually know follows F1 anywhere near as closely as I do so I'd have to go on my own which I dare say would work out ok, but would be much nicer actually going with someone I knew.

graveltrap
03-07-2015, 09:02
FP1 is underway, live on the BBC on the red button ;)

KkDrummer
04-07-2015, 10:12
I was there 2 years ago. Had a blast of a weekend watching not only F1 but the other series as well. If I remember correctly GP2, Porches and F1. The Brits definitely love their racing cars! And just to make things even more memorable I had the best bacon roll with a latte of my life! What a weekend that was!

BDR Daz
04-07-2015, 10:14
I refuse to pay their prices ! I went to the Test in Catalunya and do the WEC, I do follow it as much as I can on Sky though !

choupolo
04-07-2015, 12:43
Good example of track limit detection going on now in quali at turn 9!

Q3 on now.

FA RACING 01
04-07-2015, 13:27
Good example of track limit detection going on now in quali at turn 9!

Q3 on now.

Results of the qualify ? Had to miss it :mad:

choupolo
04-07-2015, 14:40
I'll link to it to avoid a spoiler. (I know what some might say to that though heh)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/2015/british-grand-prix/results/qualifying

Ian Bell
04-07-2015, 14:55
Can't believe Vettel got pole!!!!

(Spoiler)

choupolo
04-07-2015, 15:02

= out. :D

steviraikkonen
04-07-2015, 15:07

Hope this resonates in the community event

That's fine right? ;)

Ian Bell
04-07-2015, 15:09

That looks like Copse and if so yes, I agree as it was specifically set as an issue by Charlie Whiting and discussed at the briefings with drivers. They were specifically told that all four wheels off there would invalidate the qually lap. Interestingly, they'll get multiple warnings in the race before there could be a potential issue.

It seems they don't care so much about other corners though.

choupolo
04-07-2015, 15:14
Yep, Copse. Raikkonen's lap was invalidated from this, then he was heard on the radio saying, "but I was on the kerb!" Lol. :D

Will defo be interesting to see if anyone gets a drive through for repeat offences in the race.

Ian Bell
04-07-2015, 15:22
I recall Vettel complaining or being complained about (ok I can't recall very well :) ) about going wide on the exit of Club last year. No one was penalised in the race.

FA RACING 01
04-07-2015, 15:28
I'll link to it to avoid a spoiler. (I know what some might say to that though heh)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/2015/british-grand-prix/results/qualifying

Thanks mate. I prefer Ian's "spoiler" on Vettel taking pole though ;):mad:;)

Robbo-92
04-07-2015, 17:37
I recall Vettel complaining or being complained about (ok I can't recall very well :) ) about going wide on the exit of Club last year. No one was penalised in the race.

Presume that was the battle between Vettel and Alonso? If so both were complaining about each other to their respective teams whilst battling on track about going off track if I remember correctly. Was a great fight between the two drivers though!

choupolo
04-07-2015, 18:40
Oh yeah I remember that now. Alonso was ahead, Vettel had the edge and was trying to pass but Alonso stretched track limits to stay ahead. I suppose there were no penalties as Vettel did eventually get past.

I often see them giving warnings but it's rare to see a drive through.

Ian Bell
04-07-2015, 18:54
Presume that was the battle between Vettel and Alonso? If so both were complaining about each other to their respective teams whilst battling on track about going off track if I remember correctly. Was a great fight between the two drivers though!

That sounds like the one Robbo.

Robbo-92
04-07-2015, 21:05
Oh yeah I remember that now. Alonso was ahead, Vettel had the edge and was trying to pass but Alonso stretched track limits to stay ahead. I suppose there were no penalties as Vettel did eventually get past.

I often see them giving warnings but it's rare to see a drive through.

Yep, and I think Alonso was complaining that Vettel was abusing track limits during the DRS detection zone meaning Vettel was so much closer under each DRS zone. Glad they didn't give any penalties though as it would have spoilt that great battle!

choupolo
05-07-2015, 00:00
Yep, and I think Alonso was complaining that Vettel was abusing track limits during the DRS detection zone meaning Vettel was so much closer under each DRS zone. Glad they didn't give any penalties though as it would have spoilt that great battle!

Ah I remembered it the opposite way round to how it was. Yes it was Alonso complaining about Vettel abusing track limits, and Vettel complaining about Alonso's aggressive defending.

Here's a nice analysis of it from Alonso's POV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BkbqM294hY

mister dog
05-07-2015, 00:45
Back in my day, Vettel would have had 2 wheels on the grass http://orig04.deviantart.net/5a39/f/2008/323/b/4/grandpa_angry_by_momma__g.gif

FA RACING 01
05-07-2015, 06:59
Back in my day, Vettel would have had 2 wheels on the grass http://orig04.deviantart.net/5a39/f/2008/323/b/4/grandpa_angry_by_momma__g.gif

Yeah, those were the good days of F1. I miss them.

BDR Daz
05-07-2015, 09:11
Interestingly, they'll get multiple warnings in the race before there could be a potential issue.

It seems they don't care so much about other corners though.

Its going to be interesting, in GP2 Rossi got a 5 second penalty for being squeezed out and using that curb ... lets see if they are conistent

Pink_650S
05-07-2015, 09:45
Its going to be interesting, in GP2 Rossi got a 5 second penalty for being squeezed out and using that curb ... lets see if they are conistent

The german commentator was so upset by that decision.
He went from criticizing the stewards and moaning about the large run-off areas, to being overly cynical in the rest of his commentating.
:D loved it!

Robbo-92
05-07-2015, 10:55

He got squeezed out and got a 5 second penalty? Fair enough if they go out wide and stay ahead but if he got squeezed out I presume he lost the position as a result of it so the 5 second penalty kind of seems pointless.

m355y
05-07-2015, 11:08
He got squeezed out and got a 5 second penalty? Fair enough if they go out wide and stay ahead but if he got squeezed out I presume he lost the position as a result of it so the 5 second penalty kind of seems pointless.

And people said PC wasn't realistic.

Fanatest
05-07-2015, 11:16
Anyone watch the F1 rewind of the BGP? On the Beeb? Phew!

graveltrap
05-07-2015, 11:24
Looking forward to my afternoon nap now ;)

The rewind was good, shows how both the track and the sport has changed over the years!

ElectricBlues85
05-07-2015, 12:06
Best 2 laps of a GP all year and the damn SC car comes out!

choupolo
05-07-2015, 12:06
Woah, what a start! :D

RacingTopsy
05-07-2015, 12:10
Best 2 laps of a GP all year and the damn SC car comes out!

My thoughts exactly!

The Williams were damn fast off the line, I just hope they'll do it again after the SC.. :)

Edit, I'm happy :p

Sc again.. \o/

ElectricBlues85
05-07-2015, 12:15
LH was far too aggressive on restart - still made for good watching! Hope he didn't destroy his tyres

choupolo
05-07-2015, 13:18
Can't keep up with the strategy calls here and the rain. Good timing from Hamilton? Or lucky that his tyres were gone at the right time?

TheReaper GT
05-07-2015, 13:36
Hamilton wins, Williams messed up. Looks like an endless replay that f1 of ours

RacingTopsy
05-07-2015, 13:39
tbh, I didn't expect an interesting race. I expected to be watching five laps and then forgetting about it (I'm not a regular viewer anymore), but I found it massively entertaining. :)
Bit gutted for Williams though, but it made the race interesting! :)

FA RACING 01
05-07-2015, 13:54
My most enjoyable part of the race - Alonso getting a point - at last.

TheReaper GT
05-07-2015, 13:57
My most enjoyable part of the race - Alonso getting a point - at last.

Wait for him logging in here to rant against corner cutters. Hahaha

sniper8871
05-07-2015, 13:59
Nice race. Too bad Verstappen had to retire

Robbo-92
05-07-2015, 14:08
Best race of 2015 so far, Williams once again messed up their chance of winning by not going aggressive on their pit strategy, should have let Bottas past as well as he was definitely quicker at that stage in the race.

RacingTopsy
05-07-2015, 14:17
Best race of 2015 so far, Williams once again messed up their chance of winning by not going aggressive on their pit strategy, should have let Bottas past as well as he was definitely quicker at that stage in the race.

I was quite happy they just let them race and didn't tell Massa to let Bottas past. I find orders like "don't overtake your team mate/let your team mate past" always spoil the races a bit.

TheReaper GT
05-07-2015, 14:20
I was quite happy they just let them race and didn't tell Massa to let Bottas past. I find orders like "don't overtake your team mate/let your team mate past" always spoil the races a bit.

I like the team play, but just if it's by the driver option, not a team order. Last night on Daytona, last lap, one teammate pushing the other to try overtake the first place on the last corner, pretty awesome.

choupolo
05-07-2015, 14:26
Hindsight is 20:20 but Williams should have (a) let Bottas past early on and let him pull Massa along (b) pit earlier to cover the undercut from Mercedes (c) let Bottas go onto inters earlier during the rain.

Nice to see Williams finally competing with Mercedes though!

Robbo-92
05-07-2015, 14:34

That was the problem though, initially they said you're not racing which is fair enough but the Bottas was still creeping closer (and asking if he can pass) most likely with pace in hand and they still didn't release him instead just saying you can try but it has to be clean (fair enough as well, they don't want both cars dnf) and he has to pull away (again fair enough but with the way he was sticking to Massa's gearbox I think he would have), normally I disagree with team orders as well but in the situation Williams were in they should have let Bottas past, if they'd done it in the last chicane Lewis wouldn't have passed Massa either so they wouldn't have lost much (if anything) and would have potentially won the race as they would have pitted Bottas earlier for inters had he stayed ahead of Lewis in the first round of pit stops.

Pink_650S
05-07-2015, 18:33

It was a nice race indeed.
But look to where we've come, we call a race the best of the year, where the only unordinary thing was that the Williams took over 1st and 2nd.
Other than that not much actually happened.
Definitely the best of the year, but only shows that our standards have become very low. :(

xautos
05-07-2015, 18:39
i dont understand what williams were doing there, last year in austria they were too conservative, this year they were too cautious and in both cases let victories slip from their fingers. when it became clear that bottas was being held up, massa should of let him through, massa then could of played rear gunner while bottas got away, could of built a 5 second lead, when hamilton pitted, bottas would of been able to cover that off the next lap around and come out ahead. okay, williams are not the fastest in pit stops and massa would of lost 2nd place, but at that point bottas would of been in a position to lead away lewis, then the rain fell and at the most bottas would of lost was 1st place, he could of finished 2nd, in any event. Williams shot themselves in the foot and ended up in 4th and 5th, very distantly from earlier on.