PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the people who say SMS shouldn't concentrate on Wii U?

UMadBro
03-07-2015, 08:07
I'm actually rather curious. Also, please try not to destroy this thread as I'd like to just hear your thoughts.

FA RACING 01
03-07-2015, 08:36
I noticed you had quite a few threads with similar topics and there's repeated risk that this one might become another exchanging of mud and endless arguments. I also don't play WII or Wii U so can't really add worthwile value to your question. BUT I also noticed you have quite a great passion for the Wii U and I do respect that. So for that reason only I'll add my perspective to your thread.

I've got a Wii, Playstation 2 Playstation 3, Playstation 4, X Box 360 and a XBone in my house and the kids got their own PC's for primarily gaming. I asked them some time ago why they don't play on the Wii [they bought it themselves] and there answer was "dad there's no cool games on Wii and Wii U" and "none of our friends plays on Wii". I know they play games like Assasins Creed, Warcraft, Leaugue of Legends and all these other war games. Perhaps they're lying to me, I don't know and it will be interesting to see the response on here. Perhaps I will have to confront them again.

My point is. Given the fact that our kids are the "leads" of what's cool and what's not, isn't that the reason that Wii overall doesn't get the attention the other consoles get ? I know too little about console performance and CPU etc, but from what I hear from the kids maybe the perception out there is that it's not cool enough and perhaps the developers heard the same. Market share and return on investment is after all imperative considerations for any developer, well for any profit making company, it's their sole reason to exist.

The shooting incidents in these Wii threads are quite high, so please don't shoot me too. I will hold my kids responsible if you do.;)

Tim Foster
03-07-2015, 08:50
I can't believe there is a large market of Wii U owners out there who are interested in Racing Sims but don't have another console.

If there's an X1, PS4, or PC in the house then any of those platforms will be a better fit for pCARS versus Wii U due to it being underpowered in comparison.

And if you're into Racing Sims at all, then Wii U isn't going to be your platform of choice anyway.

It's a shame if pCARS doesn't make it to Wii U (I wanted a copy for my eldest who has one) but I perfectly understand SMS's reluctance to invest more time into developing a version that:

a) Will need to be severely cutback to actually work on the Wii U (and so might not be representative of pCARS as a brand), and
b) Find out there isn't that large a market to make it worthwhile anyway.

My tuppence...

UMadBro
03-07-2015, 10:41
I can't believe there is a large market of Wii U owners out there who are interested in Racing Sims but don't have another console.

If there's an X1, PS4, or PC in the house then any of those platforms will be a better fit for pCARS versus Wii U due to it being underpowered in comparison.

And if you're into Racing Sims at all, then Wii U isn't going to be your platform of choice anyway.

It's a shame if pCARS doesn't make it to Wii U (I wanted a copy for my eldest who has one) but I perfectly understand SMS's reluctance to invest more time into developing a version that:

a) Will need to be severely cutback to actually work on the Wii U (and so might not be representative of pCARS as a brand), and
b) Find out there isn't that large a market to make it worthwhile anyway.

My tuppence...

It's true that the Wii U is underpowered. But that isn't exactly the problem. If I'm correct, the Wii U uses a quad core. But due to the architecture, it is very handy for running games, unlike Xbox One and PS4 which can do multiple things. Some games require more RAM, more power and so on. But these can all be tuned for the Wii U's standards. If it's anybody that needs help, it's SMS, and I'd recommend Nintendo's expertise, unless the devs are already working with them.

EDIT: Or a few of the features can be slimmed down.

Brocass
03-07-2015, 11:11
If I'm correct, the Wii U uses a quad core.

You're not...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

UMadBro
03-07-2015, 12:01
You're not...

Ah, I thought I read something about it. Oh well.

OrenIshii BE
03-07-2015, 12:17
You're not...

Triple core @ 1,6GHz?
wasn't the xbox360 packed with a triple core as well running at 3.2GHz each?

EDIT:
Yep
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_specifications

Pink_650S
03-07-2015, 12:25
My thoughts are: It would be a waste of precious time if they focused on this weak console.

Even the XB1 had problems running it, and the XB1 is still a super computer compared to the WiiU.

Mad Al
03-07-2015, 13:00
Triple core @ 1,6GHz?

EDIT:
Yep

somewhat different tech...

cerbrus2
03-07-2015, 15:47
The avarage Wii U gamer is not the target market for P cars or any racing sim. Why the OP keeps constantly bringin it up is beyond me. My only gaming system is a game boy I got back in 1993 for my 10th birthday, why is there no P cars port?

o Mike V o
03-07-2015, 16:32
Why should they? they shouldn't make the game any less spectacular to cater to such a small minority on the weakest console.

madmax2069
03-07-2015, 16:43
It's true that the Wii U is underpowered. But that isn't exactly the problem.

But that is the problem, they'll have to cut back and cut out a lot of things just to get it running on WiiU and at that point its no longer Project CARS, and they dont want to release a sub par version. people would whine and cry just as much if not more as they have with other WiiU titles that is the sub par version (even when comparing it to las gen console version). So damned if you do and damned if you dont is a good saying for this situation.

Triple core @ 1,6GHz?

EDIT:
Yep

You cant really go by a CPUs speed (Ghz) to determine a CPUs performance. Newer CPUs can run at a slower clock speed then a older CPU and out perform it usually by a large margin.

Take a old core solo vs a older Pentium 4, the core solo CPU either matches or out performs the older P4 even though the clock speed of the P4 is almost doubled that of the core solo.

Robbo-92
03-07-2015, 22:15
The avarage Wii U gamer is not the target market for P cars or any racing sim. Why the OP keeps constantly bringin it up is beyond me. My only gaming system is a game boy I got back in 1993 for my 10th birthday, why is there no P cars port?

He's showing passion for his console and the product, I guess until an final stance is taken by SMS the whole topic of Project CARS on Wii U is open for discussion.

Yuyuko
04-07-2015, 05:47
I'm kind of half amused by how many people are saying there's no market for a racing simulation or at least racing sim-like game on the Wii U. NASCAR Dirt to Daytona on Gamecube wasn't a 100% simulation, but it captured the feel of stock car racing (mostly) right for the time and was at least damned good fun if nothing else. A sim-like racer on the Wii U would round out the racing game selection perfectly. I can understand why the original Wii didn't have one (it was targeted almost entirely at the casual market), but here I think it's at least an interesting prospect to take on.

This is coming from a guy who cares little for console wars. If there's a good race to be had, then I will freaking have it!

cerbrus2
04-07-2015, 10:50
I'm kind of half amused by how many people are saying there's no market for a racing simulation or at least racing sim-like game on the Wii U. NASCAR Dirt to Daytona on Gamecube wasn't a 100% simulation, but it captured the feel of stock car racing (mostly) right for the time and was at least damned good fun if nothing else. A sim-like racer on the Wii U would round out the racing game selection perfectly. I can understand why the original Wii didn't have one (it was targeted almost entirely at the casual market), but here I think it's at least an interesting prospect to take on.

This is coming from a guy who cares little for console wars. If there's a good race to be had, then I will freaking have it!

I fail to see how a game released on a system that's now 14 years old has any sort of bearing on the current situation. especially considering back in the Day The Game Cube was just as powerful as it's counterparts, them being the Xbox and the Playstation 2. It was targeted at the same Gamer groups as the PS2 and Xbox players, that's not what the Wii U is. Wii U is targeted at a more casual Gamer, or the party game player. (smash bros, Mario party, Splatoon etc etc)

UMadBro
04-07-2015, 11:05
I fail to see how a game released on a system that's now 14 years old has any sort of bearing on the current situation. especially considering back in the Day The Game Cube was just as powerful as it's counterparts, them being the Xbox and the Playstation 2. It was targeted at the same Gamer groups as the PS2 and Xbox players, that's not what the Wii U is. Wii U is targeted at a more casual Gamer, or the party game player. (smash bros, Mario party, Splatoon etc etc)

Says you. The Wii U is indeed targeted at both causal, pro and hardcore gamers. How would one figure this out? Open your mind, don't keep it shut tight. Also, the GameCube won't be able to run P. Cars, but the Wii U can, only at the current 23 fps.

Robbo-92
04-07-2015, 12:15

Even though I'm laughably bad at it, Smash Bros is possibly the worst example you could have picked to showcase the Wii U's 'casual' market appeal. Have you seen how immensely dedicated some fans are to the Smash series in general? People still flock to competitions for Melee (GC smash bros) and the Wii U version is also being used in competitions as well and as time goes on I fully expect the Wii U version to overtake the GC version in the coming years, Smash is as hard/competitive as you want it to be showing that a single game can appeal to nearly the entire market (well if you like fighting games that is).

ford8584
04-07-2015, 14:22
Wii U cant run it, simple as that.

Its a terrible, underpowered system that hasn't sold well, so few people own one.

Only the hardcore Nintendo fans who want the Nintendo first party releases, and the very young casuals who only got the system because their parents bought them one to play the kiddy games own the Wii U, neither of which demographic wants a hardcore driving sim.

Why would the developers waste their time porting it to a system where the game will probably hardly sell and make them any money, especially when the game they have released already still needs a ton of work done before it even achieves what was promised?

Oh and the Wii U will be even more irrelevant come next year as Nintendo is releasing their next console in 2016....maybe SMS is waiting to port it to that system instead, hopefully it'll be a comparable machine to the PS4 and Xbox one.

They need to stop focusing on this casual kiddy game BS and compete with the other guys, or at least offer an equal amount of third party support as MS and Sony does.

Wolfe
04-07-2015, 17:10
I asked [my kids] some time ago why they don't play on the Wii and there answer was "dad there's no cool games on Wii and Wii U" and "none of our friends plays on Wii". I know they play games like Assasins Creed, Warcraft, Leaugue of Legends and all these other war games. Perhaps they're lying to me, I don't know and it will be interesting to see the response on here.
The Wii U doesn't have a lot of the popular "mature" titles that appeal to kids. As I'm sure you could understand, teenagers in particular are desperate to distance themselves from colorful and creative games, in a bid to appear more "adult"-like. Minecraft is an exception, but I guess it gets a pass because of its blocky aesthetic. Kids don't actually know why it has its retro pixellated style -- a child once asked me if I was wearing a "Minecraft shirt"...it had a Mega Man sprite on it. ;)

The average age of the Wii U owner is skewed higher (http://wiiudaily.com/2014/08/interesting-wii-u-eshop-details-revealed-at-unite-2014/), since older gamers don't give a shit about appearing "mature" and would rather just enjoy a fun game. What's more, Wii U games tend to be tailored to "old school" design principles and genres (like 2D platformers) that aren't very comparable to what kids are growing up with today.

During focus group testing for DuckTales: Remastered, the remake of the NES game, the dev team discovered that kids today aren't accustomed to 2D platformers and didn't think to look for secrets by themselves (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/ducktales_remastered_focus_testing_reveals_that_kids_dont_know_jack_these_days):

S: What about the secret passages? Ducktales is full of them. Did kids figure that out?

RJ: Kids nowadays do not think that way. Thatís why we needed to have a cutscene in there to explain you have to look in the walls for a secret.

Nintendo doesn't appeal to kids who have grown up with modern Playstation/Xbox games, or to immature young adults who scoff at brightly-colored characters and fantasy aesthetics. Nintendo makes deliberately traditional games that eschew drab photorealism and contrived "cinematic experiences" in favor of sharp and engaging gameplay that is in many cases only possible when you throw out semblences of "realism" -- see Splatoon for a recent and salient example.

Nintendo is one of the few wardens of what gaming used to be, before the industry ballooned into a hemorrhaging Hollywood wannabe.

Robbo-92
04-07-2015, 17:34
Wish I could like your post more than once Wolfe! Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I find it quite sad that kids nowadays feel the need to grow up so quick that even in gaming, which for some people is an escape from reality they still feel the need to play mature games even though they are well away from the intended audience. I guess it's what kids do to fit in with the crowd now.

FA RACING 01
04-07-2015, 17:44
Wish I could like your post more than once Wolfe! Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I find it quite sad that kids nowadays feel the need to grow up so quick that even in gaming, which for some people is an escape from reality they still feel the need to play mature games even though they are well away from the intended audience. I guess it's what kids do to fit in with the crowd now.

On the matter of kids, both you and Wolf are most probably right. But with that being said and things is what it is, the only problem I see is that "business" do what the market dictates or perhaps demand. That's what "business" do and have to do. It targets that part of the market where they will get the best return on investment. The shareholders demand that.

UMadBro
05-07-2015, 05:01
On the matter of kids, both you and Wolf are most probably right. But with that being said and things is what it is, the only problem I see is that "business" do what the market dictates or perhaps demand. That's what "business" do and have to do. It targets that part of the market where they will get the best return on investment. The shareholders demand that.

Like Ubisoft and their ZombiU? The game sold quite well, yet they said it didn't sell very much. It's the norm for most businesses nowadays. If that were to continue, I see the console market crashing like no tomorrow.

EDIT: When EA and Ubisoft said that they would support the Wii U from the start, it's apparent they lied.

Martini Da Gasalini
08-07-2015, 15:57
Like Ubisoft and their ZombiU? The game sold quite well, yet they said it didn't sell very much. It's the norm for most businesses nowadays. If that were to continue, I see the console market crashing like no tomorrow.

EDIT: When EA and Ubisoft said that they would support the Wii U from the start, it's apparent they lied.

Then they prob got their hands on it (Wii) and realized it wasn't worth the trouble on that underpowered console.

UMadBro
11-07-2015, 10:44
Then they prob got their hands on it (Wii) and realized it wasn't worth the trouble on that underpowered console.

My good sir, it is not the Wii, it is the Wii U, the successor to the Wii. Where did you get your information?

FA RACING 01
11-07-2015, 14:54
My good sir, it is not the Wii, it is the Wii U, the successor to the Wii. Where did you get your information?

Your vocal shouts on WiiU is becoming like a fart in a thunderstorm. No one hears it anymore, yet it's annoying.

If there's fresh news on this, please inform us. Otherwise it serve no purpose at all.

Pink_650S
11-07-2015, 14:58

His point remains the same. Underpowered.
l mean, look at the new Starfox, then look at what Project Cars is. N64 called, it wants its graphics back.

3Dude
11-07-2015, 15:53

Open your eyes and look at the games. Even the best looking ones like Xenoblade look like slightly nicer Xbox 360 games. Might have something to do with why the Wii U version died alongside the the PS3 and 360 versions.

If you guys really want this game so badly, perhaps you might spend less time starting Wii U threads here and more time working to buy a console to actually play it on?

Pink_650S
11-07-2015, 15:55
Even the best looking ones like Xenoblade look like slightly nicer Xbox 360 games.

Thats nicely and generously put.

UMadBro
12-07-2015, 04:32
Your vocal shouts on WiiU is becoming like a fart in a thunderstorm. No one hears it anymore, yet it's annoying.

If there's fresh news on this, please inform us. Otherwise it serve no purpose at all.

Thanks. I did fart recently, also, that is just your opinion. Have you seen the Wii U Forums? It's a decent place to hang around if you're into all sorts of video games.

UMadBro
12-07-2015, 04:39

Thanks. I did fart recently, also, that is just your opinion. Have you seen the Wii U Forums? It's a decent place to hang around if you're into all sorts of video games.

His point remains the same. Underpowered.
l mean, look at the new Starfox, then look at what Project Cars is. N64 called, it wants its graphics back.

That may be true. StarFox looks fantastic, the water looks terrible though, hopefully Platinum Games fix that. Project Cars looks terrible compared to the N64 era. /s

Open your eyes and look at the games. Even the best looking ones like Xenoblade look like slightly nicer Xbox 360 games. Might have something to do with why the Wii U version died alongside the the PS3 and 360 versions.

If you guys really want this game so badly, perhaps you might spend less time starting Wii U threads here and more time working to buy a console to actually play it on?

I have already opened my eyes. Games like Bayonetta 1 & 2 prove the Wii U can have nice graphics if you know the system. If you're talking about Xenoblade Chronicles X, that game will have a few patches to stabilize a few problems.

As for Project Cars, I do see the game having a nice 30fps if SMS and Nintendo work together. Who else knows the Wii U better than anyone else? Also look at Zelda Wii U. I happen to own a PC but I'd like the game for Wii U if it ever comes down to it, I mean if SMS stop producing a Wii U version.

EDIT: There is no news related to NX at this time. Stay hyped and stay tuned!

3Dude
12-07-2015, 14:39
I have already opened my eyes. Games like Bayonetta 1 & 2 prove the Wii U can have nice graphics if you know the system. If you're talking about Xenoblade Chronicles X, that game will have a few patches to stabilize a few problems.

Regardless of whether someone knows the system or whether the graphics are fantastic, the games still look very close to last generation games. It's obvious that the Wii U's specs are a lot closer to the last generation consoles than the Playstation 4 or Xbox One. Patching Xenoblade isn't going to change that.

As for Project Cars, I do see the game having a nice 30fps if SMS and Nintendo work together.

Perhaps the issue is that SMS doesn't see that happening. They know the hardware and what their game needs to run well. If they can't get a good enough result on the Wii U or it's too costly for them to try, I think you should respect their decision not to do it.

Robhd
12-07-2015, 15:25
Aside from any technical issues..

Wee console sales are consistently 1/4 to a 1/3 at best of xbox /ps4 sales month on month.

Combine this with mostly niche games aimed at a home market with characterisations that the rest of the world tend to find twee at best or more usually just strange... Yes manga and anime are niche markets too outside of Japan. The emphasis on child like characters really puts off the western adult gaming market... Hence the piss poor sales irrespective of what the hardware can or can't manage argument.

This means hardware sales are never likely to take off and make the wee a serious competitor etc...

So why the hell are western focused developers going to throw effort at it for meagre returns?

Poor returns for the effort equal nope,no,nada... Nil chance...

Hard laws of commerce.. So it isn't going to happen... Give..it...a... rest eh?

UMadBro
13-07-2015, 03:05
Aside from any technical issues..

Wee console sales are consistently 1/4 to a 1/3 at best of xbox /ps4 sales month on month.

Combine this with mostly niche games aimed at a home market with characterisations that the rest of the world tend to find twee at best or more usually just strange... Yes manga and anime are niche markets too outside of Japan. The emphasis on child like characters really puts off the western adult gaming market... Hence the piss poor sales irrespective of what the hardware can or can't manage argument.

This means hardware sales are never likely to take off and make the wee a serious competitor etc...

So why the hell are western focused developers going to throw effort at it for meagre returns?

Poor returns for the effort equal nope,no,nada... Nil chance...

Hard laws of commerce.. So it isn't going to happen... Give..it...a... rest eh?

You should feel bad. :( http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf Iwata just passed away.

Umer Ahmad
13-07-2015, 04:38
Yeah my wife just told me. We should have a commerative "community car skin" in his honor. Nothing official aince copywright etc, just something like unofficial.

UMadBro
13-07-2015, 07:11
Yeah my wife just told me. We should have a commerative "community car skin" in his honor. Nothing official aince copywright etc, just something like unofficial.

The Wii U Forums are dedicating the banner to him.
http://s1.postimg.org/ge1udw5zj/Iwata_Satoru_Wii_U_Forums_Banner.jpg
This is what I made.