PDA

View Full Version : Improvement of Replay mode in futures updates?

Ajnn
03-07-2015, 09:36
I usually participate on organized races (PS4) but all the members agree that the Project Cars have a few options on the replay mode. More options in the replay mode is very important to those who organize races. In fact they could not verify if the fastest qualify lap of each pilot is a clean lap and itīs not possible to see the replay of the race of all pilots witch is important to analyse race accidents and also to see if all pilots drive with fairplay. More then others updates for me this is one of the most important update needed. Could we waiting for more replays options in Pcars in the future?

AudioSlave92210
03-07-2015, 10:01
Yes, plus add telemetry during replay and photomode please.

Eyerex
03-07-2015, 10:31
Another thing which needs fixing is the replays will show different cars than the one the other people in the lobby were driving at the time

danowat
03-07-2015, 10:39
I would like to think that we might see some improvements and additions to the replay system (and also the photomode) in PCars1, but I am not hopeful about it, and I'd imagine those sort of improvements might be beyond the scope of improvements for PCars 1, and instead may see it in PCars 2.

CHEN255
03-07-2015, 22:01
I would be happy if the replays were tidied up in regards to the stuttering and flickering and pop up that occurs. Also the cars wheels going from 2d to 3d and back again doesn't look too good. Other than that they are great though not informative. I would like to see the car position available as an option to have when watching a replay.
PS Also each time a replay is watched the drivers helmet and suit change design which is a bit weird, just like from session to session when racing.

madmax2069
03-07-2015, 22:19
I'd love for the replay system to allow you to switch between players in the race and not just only stuck on your car, the ability to zoom in and out, the ability to rotate the camera around the car while in motion without it auto rotating the camera view behind the car (obviously a option for the camera to be lock and unlock), the ability to go into photo mode from within the replay, more view modes (like behind the tire camera and such), telemetry display would be nice but would increase the replay file size.

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 22:22
The problem with replay data is that it's recorded in tha save game. Each replay that you save goes to your save game, and on consoles there's a limit for the file. Telemetry data for the player's car is a lot of data, imagine for a whole grid.
Don't get me wrong, I wanna have all you guys want, but I'm aware of the tecnical challenge involved.

Most people with save file corruptions had a lot of saved replays. Two of my friends had that problem. I only save 20 replays at time, no more, just to be safe. SMS is working on it.

madmax2069
03-07-2015, 22:28
The problem with replay data is that it's recorded in tha save game. Each replay that you save goes to your save game, and on consoles there's a limit for the file. Telemetry data for the player's car is a lot of data, imagine for a whole grid.
Don't get me wrong, I wanna have all you guys want, but I'm aware of the tecnical challenge involved.

Most people with save file corruptions had a lot of saved replays. Two of my friends had that problem. I only save 20 replays at time, no more, just to be safe. SMS is working on it.

Each replay you save is its own individual file, they are not combined with any other save file (such as the games profile save).

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 22:30
Each replay you save is its own individual file, they are not combined with any other save file (such as the games profile save).

IF it's like that on PS4, it's awesome. On XBox is not.

madmax2069
03-07-2015, 22:40
IF it's like that on PS4, it's awesome. On XBox is not.

You sure there isnt another layer down that you're confusing as a gamesave itself. I remember how it was on the 360, it showed individual games (like a folder), and below that had individual save files for everything associated for that game (like forza you had one for profile, individual saves for replays and car tunes and liveries). It would be odd that Microsoft would change that system.

How it is on the PS4 system is you see individual game listings for saves (call them a folder if you will), click on one and it shows individual save files associated with that game (a profile save, individual car tuning saves, and individual replay saves and pit strategies).

TheReaper GT
03-07-2015, 22:43
You sure there isnt another layer down that you're confusing as a gamesave itself. I remember how it was on the 360, it showed individual games (like a folder), and below that had individual save files for everything associated for that game (like forza you had one for profile, individual saves for replays and car tunes and liveries). It would be odd that Microsoft would change that system.

How it is on the PS4 system is you see individual games saves (call them a folder if you will), click on one and it shows individual save files associated with that game (a profile save, individual car tuning saves, and individual replay saves and pit strategies).

Yeah, on 360 it was that way. On xbox you have save game file, that's it. It's kind of idiotic. They are limited to 512MB, save 40 replays and you are out. One of the devs, if not Ian himsemf, said in one thread about that problem.

I hope it changes as soon as windows 10 arrives on xbox one.

nordoceltic
04-07-2015, 05:51
So if I get down on my hands and knees and beg, I could get telemetry in replays? I don't understand how the entire genre doesn't see how this is invaluable to tuning a car!

McKiernan
04-07-2015, 13:20
So if I get down on my hands and knees and beg, I could get telemetry in replays? I don't understand how the entire genre doesn't see how this is invaluable to tuning a car!

Not being able to view telemetry in replays is not ideal, but a workaround that I use is to use the share play feature to capture the telemetry data, just run a few laps and study the telemetry that was captured afterwards. Hope that helps.

atomicBRblaster
05-07-2015, 05:04
Telemetry during replays is an essential feature. It's humanly impossible to drive and read and analyse properly the telemetry.

VBR
05-07-2015, 15:00
Watching replays was half the game for me in Gran Turismo. Racing online for a few hours in clean no tuning lobbies, saving all the races, & then watching my glorious exploits afterwards in those jaw dropping replays. Sublime! I was looking forward doing the same in Project CARS, but what with the severely limited functionality in multiplayer, & the dodgy replays, I think I'll be giving the whole things a miss for now. Hopefully these things will be improved in a future update coming SMSoon.

McKiernan
05-07-2015, 15:15
Watching replays was half the game for me in Gran Turismo. Racing online for a few hours in clean no tuning lobbies, saving all the races, & then watching my glorious exploits afterwards in those jaw dropping replays. Sublime! I was looking forward doing the same in Project CARS, but what with the severely limited functionality in multiplayer, & the dodgy replays, I think I'll be giving the whole things a miss for now. Hopefully these things will be improved in a future update coming SMSoon.

I hate to say it but I agree. I loved checking out replays of online races in GT5, especially with the feature to switch perspectives to other cars as it enabled you to view aspects of the race that you would've missed otherwise. PCARS would benefit so much in terms of enjoying the replay feature if the stuttering could be improved and if it were possible to add viewing telemetry and switch view to other cars. Although it's not so bad as to make me feel like giving the whole thing a miss, still lovin' PCARS too much.

Ian Bell
05-07-2015, 15:17
I agree also. I don't think our replays do any justice to the fidelity of our game during actual gameplay.

Mods, please add increased fidelity and features for replays to my secret list.

andrewz
05-07-2015, 18:08
I agree also. I don't think our replays do any justice to the fidelity of our game during actual gameplay.

Congratulations to guys here who convinced you that replays are an essential part of racing game. I was not successful with that before. (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30555-ANSWERED-Game-intro-trailer&p=982618#post982618)

On the other side, I would prefer polishing replays first and then adding new features.

imz14u2nv
07-07-2015, 02:31

Hello Mr. Bell,
I have had Project Cars Since release and I have to say that I don’t play it as much as I thought I would. I should be playing it more as I had to invest in a new wheel (I had a perfectly working G27) for PS4/PCARS compatibility.

The reason is that there have been some hiccups (but of course you already are aware of that). The Number One Reason that I wasn’t playing was the Ghosting/Blurring issues that were on PS4 which I must say was corrected very quickly by your team. There are other issues but for me the Visual Items Really detract from the game because, Let’s face it, most humans are very visual in nature and if it doesn’t look right, we notice that first.

I have said all of this to say that I think the Number One Item for the next round of Fixes should be to Address the Jittery/Jerky (Some Might Say Stuttering) replays on PS4 (I can only speak to this platform as that is what I am playing on).

I think that your team has put in a ton of work to make this a Beautiful Graphical Powerhouse and it’s a shame that replays don’t do the game justus, I can wait on new features in replay, Just please correct the Jittery/Jerky/Stuttering so that replays look as good as the Game and reflect all of the hard work that has obviously gone into this title.

Like someone else that posted here, Replays are extremely important to me as I use them as an aid in correcting my performance.

VBR
07-07-2015, 16:05
Congratulations to guys here who convinced you that replays are an essential part of racing game. I was not successful with that before. (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30555-ANSWERED-Game-intro-trailer&p=982618#post982618)

That links to an awesome post! Some great ideas in there I'd love to see implemented.

:)

lordymatsuo
07-07-2015, 20:41

Yay cant wait to start making some cool videos. Your right the replays currently dont do justice to the game so the more we can edit the better for sharing player made videos :)

daddyboosive
07-07-2015, 21:35
Yeh the replays are a little bland. Most of these have probably been talked about but this is what I think would help make them better.

*Cycle through different cars
*Toggle player names on/off
*Add in car views to the race cam
*Add telemetry

Not sure if any of these can be added at all or if so, the amount of time and effort it would take. But they would all be great additions imo.

sgohsixthree
07-07-2015, 22:53
I'd like to chime in that adding a confirmation to exiting replay mode is needed. Sucks when you're looking at the last lap of a race ready to take a shot, and hit 'circle' accidentally and return to the highlights menu.

LotusTeam
08-07-2015, 06:18
To me, replays need to be fixed as follows

1. Needs playback stability, very often, it's laggy while playing back
2. Needs spectator function
3. Needs telemetry viewer
4. Needs user friendly photograph function
5. Needs to fix wrong car being displayed on track (don't know if patch 2.0 fix this or not...)
6. Needs player names toggle ON/OFF

imz14u2nv
09-07-2015, 05:16

5. Needs to fix wrong car being displayed on track (don't know if patch 2.0 fix this or not...)

I cannot sincerely think about new features before they fix the Jittery/Jerky/Stuttering replays, What good is all the features if the replays are completely un-watchable??

Once they sort out the Stuttering issue, the only thing I can think of that I would find useful is an indicator for what Position you currently hold in the race on replay.

mjemec11
09-07-2015, 06:32

7. Bind key to jump to end of a replay.

It sucks when you see something cool happen in front of you in career mode and you have to fast forward 2 minutes of replay footage. There's already a skip to beginning button, so why not add one to skip to the end.

VBR
09-07-2015, 13:34
A skip to next lap option would be even better, as would skip to next sector for longer tracks like the Nord.

kdfukuyama
10-07-2015, 01:42
I cannot sincerely think about new features before they fix the Jittery/Jerky/Stuttering replays, What good is all the features if the replays are completely un-watchable??

Once they sort out the Stuttering issue, the only thing I can think of that I would find useful is an indicator for what Position you currently hold in the race on replay.

Indeed, basically I only play in Silverstone GP track with McLaren 12C GT. Even after update 2.0 I notice that after the last corner and before the LAP END, the spectators camera mode shakes like having a lag. It always happen, at least on my PS4.

Another thing is that when you hit the car and it is damaged, when the replay camera changes the angle, for about 1 second, your car is intact, and then the damage appear. It's a bit weird.

So, for me, I prefer improving the replay visual experience like @imz14u2nv said, before implementing new features.

Edit PS: I cannot say that the replay is un-watchable. Actually it's pretty good, but could be better :D

graveltrap
10-07-2015, 18:12
It would be nice if the replay ignored the settings from Gameplay > Onscreen Guides and Display > Cockpit wheel/Driver and just went ahead and showed them anyway, I might want it switched off when I am in control but it looks really odd in a replay!

tgrey
11-07-2015, 07:56
It would be nice if the replay ignored the settings from Gameplay > Onscreen Guides and Display > Cockpit wheel/Driver and just went ahead and showed them anyway, I might want it switched off when I am in control but it looks really odd in a replay!

I had the same comment, you just beat me to it ;)

babyfacedaz
15-07-2015, 11:01
Unless I've missed something or I'm unaware you can only fast forward a saved replay at x2 holding R2. If the race is over 30mins and you want to view the end of the replay it takes forever to get there.
I would love to see x2, x8 x16 and a skip to end feature during replay playback to allow quick skipping to a part you want to view or resave.

medse87
15-07-2015, 12:30
Yeah, that is really annoying.

andrewz
21-09-2017, 12:17
Two years later, "new title" comes out and there still are choppy replays along the same bugs as before. What a shame. Adieu, Slightly Mad Studios.

Roger Prynne
21-09-2017, 13:12
Adieu andrewz.