PDA

View Full Version : Lighting, shadows and flickering problems

Skywingull625
04-07-2015, 18:20
Ok, finally I had some time to start this thread.
After this (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29076-GTX760-graphic-problems-Please-help!&highlight=gtx760) and this (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30438-Anti-aliasing-problem&highlight=gtx760), I'm still experiencing some hard times with flickering, lighting and shadows.

First of all: flickering on fences. I experience this in motion with almost every fence and lamp post near and far, expecially if half in shade or illuminated not in a straight way (at sunset, for example). Also sunlight through trees sometimes flicker. I made some pics, but that's nothing compared to how it looks in motion:

Now the shadows. Well I don't know what to say because I don't know what I'm watching, it never happened before: on surfaces in shade, strange shadow lines always appear, which change and move depending on how i move the camera. I'll let you see:

This thing also happens getting near to such surfaces: for example at the Dubai Kartodrome i saw a shadow on a out-of-track building getting bigger and bigger as I approached to it, and also flashing black shadows on the construction on the left of the pitstraight.
I have to add that flickering things produce flickering shadows if the the camera or the object moves (like at race start, or trees that sway in the wind).

These are my settings:

I had to disable the bloom because it caused a bit of stuttering even with v-sync on. I used to run with DS4X as antialiasing, but it lowered too much the FPS. Now in clear weather i get 40-45 frames with 12 cars (karts) on track. Now aliasing is still present, but it's bearable, that's not the matter. It's more noticeable on shadows, anyway:

I also use Nvidia Inspector with the pCARS preset on. I changed and tryed lots of settings and combinations, but this is the best i could get.

Now, could someone competent in this help me? Thank you very much :)

PS: I found out that I can see flickering fences even in the intro video, is that normal?

dr8g0n
04-07-2015, 19:40
I also get a lot of flickering on barriers and distant objects. I've got aliasing mitigated via SGSSAA but still the flickering persists.

njexit16e
05-07-2015, 02:04
Ok, finally I had some time to start this thread.
After this (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29076-GTX760-graphic-problems-Please-help!&highlight=gtx760) and this (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30438-Anti-aliasing-problem&highlight=gtx760), I'm still experiencing some hard times with flickering, lighting and shadows.

First of all: flickering on fences. I experience this in motion with almost every fence and lamp post near and far, expecially if half in shade or illuminated not in a straight way (at sunset, for example). Also sunlight through trees sometimes flicker. I made some pics, but that's nothing compared to how it looks in motion:

Now the shadows. Well I don't know what to say because I don't know what I'm watching, it never happened before: on surfaces in shade, strange shadow lines always appear, which change and move depending on how i move the camera. I'll let you see:

This thing also happens getting near to such surfaces: for example at the Dubai Kartodrome i saw a shadow on a out-of-track building getting bigger and bigger as I approached to it, and also flashing black shadows on the construction on the left of the pitstraight.
I have to add that flickering things produce flickering shadows if the the camera or the object moves (like at race start, or trees that sway in the wind).

These are my settings:

I had to disable the bloom because it caused a bit of stuttering even with v-sync on. I used to run with DS4X as antialiasing, but it lowered too much the FPS. Now in clear weather i get 40-45 frames with 12 cars (karts) on track. Now aliasing is still present, but it's bearable, that's not the matter. It's more noticeable on shadows, anyway:

I also use Nvidia Inspector with the pCARS preset on. I changed and tryed lots of settings and combinations, but this is the best i could get.

Now, could someone competent in this help me? Thank you very much :)

PS: I found out that I can see flickering fences even in the intro video, is that normal?

The answer to all your problems can be solved by watching this video >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8NxWn48tY

Charger
05-07-2015, 02:23
The answer to all your problems can be solved by watching this video >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8NxWn48tY

Rubbish, try putting Vsync off, AA to High, Aniso 16x, all High and track ultra, render frames ahead 1, no grass, low shadows and jitter 0, no blur, enable camera movement enviro and head, no fxaa or smaa, FX to how u like it but I run all with flare and 0.8 exposure, vignette off, GTX770 and runs at avg 75fps, AA is greatly reduced but I have seen those artifacts in game but I think you are looking too much into it, even if you look at live cam recordings of real life races they display more AA than you see here.

Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGePS0xRU2s see how the head shake and vibration in real life would give you a sense of unstable vision, PCars tries to make it smooth without this, if you enable real life head shake and vibration AA would be an non issue, it looks artificial in the PCars video and too smooth so AA will be more noticeable.

Flihp
05-07-2015, 02:38
75fps on a commodore 64 is pretty impressive, :D

Charger
05-07-2015, 02:50
Lol, first person to say that, well spotted!

E_Luckow
05-07-2015, 04:02
Man, I have too much RAM. Sure it causes me trouble. 64K is fine :eagerness:

dr8g0n
05-07-2015, 05:58
I think there are multiple kinds of flickering going on, at least for me.

The flickering I'm seeing on objects in the 'distance' around the track (barriers, buildings) might actually be better described as flashing. I'm no technical expert, but it looks like the same problem that has been analyzed in Skyrim where distant objects flash. It's called z fighting. I don't think this has anything to do with aliasing or with monitor hz.

Here is a video discussing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjHt-4Z6PwI

Nothing I do with AA seems to have any impact on reducing this. I find it very distracting. I don't know what the fix would be in respect to Project CARS. In Skyrim you can get deep into ini files to mitigate it, messing with render distances and LOD settings.

Then there's the flickering produced from temporal aliasing, which I think is what OP points out with poles and sunlight through trees. This I think you can mitigate to some extent with AA, like transparency supersampling, and via downsampling. Nvidia's TXAA addresses temporal aliasing but doesn't seem available here.

Charger
05-07-2015, 06:37
When your head is shaking you don't notice it as much and track quality on ultra and anis 16x helps, low shadows also helps, try and deflect your view from it, use cockpit or helmet view.

jpmmuc
05-07-2015, 09:47
..., try putting Vsync off, AA to High, Aniso 16x, all High and track ultra, render frames ahead 1, no grass, low shadows and jitter 0, no blur, enable camera movement enviro and head, no fxaa or smaa, FX to how u like it but I run all with flare and 0.8 exposure, vignette off, GTX770 and runs at avg 75fps, AA is greatly reduced but I have seen those artifacts in game but I think you are looking too much into it, even if you look at live cam recordings of real life races they display more AA than you see here.

Good base, I'm running on similar settings but I don't like the white lines around textures from AA with high or msaa so I'm using ds2x

BTW: really tape drive and not original datasette?

Skywingull625
05-07-2015, 10:41

I really can't see in what should this help me. :confused:

Skywingull625
05-07-2015, 10:57
Rubbish, try putting Vsync off, AA to High, Aniso 16x, all High and track ultra, render frames ahead 1, no grass, low shadows and jitter 0, no blur, enable camera movement enviro and head, no fxaa or smaa, FX to how u like it but I run all with flare and 0.8 exposure, vignette off, GTX770 and runs at avg 75fps, AA is greatly reduced but I have seen those artifacts in game but I think you are looking too much into it, even if you look at live cam recordings of real life races they display more AA than you see here.

Example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGePS0xRU2s see how the head shake and vibration in real life would give you a sense of unstable vision, PCars tries to make it smooth without this, if you enable real life head shake and vibration AA would be an non issue, it looks artificial in the PCars video and too smooth so AA will be more noticeable.

Ok, I'm giving it a try

Skywingull625
05-07-2015, 10:59
I think there are multiple kinds of flickering going on, at least for me.

The flickering I'm seeing on objects in the 'distance' around the track (barriers, buildings) might actually be better described as flashing. I'm no technical expert, but it looks like the same problem that has been analyzed in Skyrim where distant objects flash. It's called z fighting. I don't think this has anything to do with aliasing or with monitor hz.

Here is a video discussing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjHt-4Z6PwI

Nothing I do with AA seems to have any impact on reducing this. I find it very distracting. I don't know what the fix would be in respect to Project CARS. In Skyrim you can get deep into ini files to mitigate it, messing with render distances and LOD settings.

Then there's the flickering produced from temporal aliasing, which I think is what OP points out with poles and sunlight through trees. This I think you can mitigate to some extent with AA, like transparency supersampling, and via downsampling. Nvidia's TXAA addresses temporal aliasing but doesn't seem available here.

Yeah you pointed out the matter. I hope that maybe some developer get into this thread and give us a workaround or something like you said in skyrim.

Skywingull625
05-07-2015, 11:20

Tryed, but it looked slightly better with my previous settings. I've raised G-effects and things like that and now i notice it less, but in some cases it's stille extremely awful.

Charger
05-07-2015, 17:11
Good base, I'm running on similar settings but I don't like the white lines around textures from AA with high or msaa so I'm using ds2x

Ah is that what is was called, the cream horrible casstte drive that took forever to load, all I know was it cost 50 in 1981 on top of the 300-400 for the 64, I still have the receipt somewhere lol.

Charger
08-07-2015, 16:40

You are right about the DS2X it has improved flicker and I get more frames, weird the last time I tried it looked worse but all good now.