PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Sakitto and Suzuka...

sVig
06-07-2015, 18:00
Obviously Sakitto was modelled on Suzuka but how come they missed out the hairpin at turn 11? Was it purely to avoid being sued for plagiarism and copyright or was there another reason?

GamingCanuck
06-07-2015, 18:07
plagiarism - noun
1. an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author

hoodi4cars
06-07-2015, 21:33
@GamingCanuck plagiarism is not only about literature afaik. the "thoughts" of another author are also designs that he has come up with, for instance. so when you copy the design of a track and call it your own design, it is indeed plagiarism. at least that's what I understand from the various definitions I have seen.

xautos
06-07-2015, 21:35
dont see how it matters much, for the most part most of the suzuka/sakitto track is there and its still something good to drive on.

Ian Bell
06-07-2015, 21:37
@GamingCanuck plagiarism is not only about literature afaik. the "thoughts" of another author are also designs that he has come up with, for instance. so when you copy the design of a track and call it your own design, it is indeed plagiarism. at least that's what I understand from the various definitions I have seen.

We didn't do that though. That's some potentially serious legal implications there so please be careful what you're bandying about.

Fact, no one can own a shape of a road. Fact, anything fixed in place can be used without licensing. Fact, we did not use the shape as is and the name wasn't used either.

Final fact, trademarks for circuits extend just as far as the name and logo. No one has really tested it yet though.

hoodi4cars
06-07-2015, 21:48
We didn't do that though. That's some potentially serious legal implications there so please be careful what you're bandying about.
I didn't say you did :) Nor was I trying to imply that. My answer was totally out of SMS/pCARS context. Yes I said that I think that you cannot just copy a track layout 100%, but you obviously didn't do that.

Neil Hopwood
06-07-2015, 21:55
Pretty sure SMS could have just included Suzuka with a different name if they wanted to, but that would most likely have kill any chance of getting the license in the future as well and potentially damaging any relationship with the company that owns the track.

That of corse is Honda, a rather large car company who I have a feeling SMS would like to be able to license Cara from at some point in the future.

No point in burning bridges if you don't have too.

/Sakitto is more fun than Suzuka imho, no Casio triangle

Roger Prynne
06-07-2015, 22:02
Suzuka was in long before release but SMS did not get the licence in time, so track layout was changed and renamed to Sakitto

TMoney
06-07-2015, 22:49
Well it was always named Sakitto just as others without licensing (Bologna, Belgian Forest, Milan, etc) at the time except when the licenses were secured those names were changed to the official.

yopp90
07-07-2015, 03:53
Informative thread, I didn't know Honda owned suzuka. I regretted paying for the track as dlc in gt5 so no love lost on this issue

yusupov
07-07-2015, 04:00

Fact, no one can own a shape of a road. Fact, anything fixed in place can be used without licensing. Fact, we did not use the shape as is and the name wasn't used either.

Final fact, trademarks for circuits extend just as far as the name and logo. No one has really tested it yet though.

well, no one on this scale. isi & reiza have both done reproductions of tracks (including suzuka now from reiza) without licenses. theyre not massive-market, but theyre hardly hiding.

(if anyone could help me further goad mr bell toward attempting the same, please do ;))

sVig
07-07-2015, 08:13
Fair enough. Cheers. Just wondered. I do like that hairpin lol.

e15f
07-07-2015, 08:21
I prefer the Sakitto layout, the last turn onto the straight is epic in the Formula A cars.

danowat
07-07-2015, 08:24
I prefer the Sakitto layout, the last turn onto the straight is epic in the Formula A cars.

Indeed, the GP circuit is better than Suzuka (IMO), but the shorter one, man......

sVig
07-07-2015, 17:44
I can certainly live without the Casio triangle. I think the hairpin though is quite a fair portion and a good overtaking spot under braking. Not really any other places that slow the pace that dramatically either.

GT_Racing
07-07-2015, 18:19
Informative thread, I didn't know Honda owned suzuka. I regretted paying for the track as dlc in gt5 so no love lost on this issue

Suzuka was not DLC in GT5 or GT6 for that matter. It came with the game originally.