PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] AI Weather Forecasting (tyre selection)

Goodelgin
07-07-2015, 00:24
Great patch - 2.0 - loving the game all over again.

A question about weather and pitting.

Want to start a race in the dry and then have it change to rain. Does the race need to be a certain number of laps for the AI to pit for wet tires when the rain starts to come down? I presume if it's only a 5 laps race and it becomes wet in lap 3 they won't bother and will simply ride it out until the end? But 10 laps of say Silverstone or Donnington? Sorry to ask ask - only wish I had the time to experiment myself :( Thanks for any guidance.

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 00:47
I believe you are correct. I dont know the exact logic but they have an internal forecast (so they dont pit too early) and some logic so they dont "throw the race" on a last lap tyre change.

DozUK
07-07-2015, 07:28
I believe you are correct. I dont know the exact logic but they have an internal forecast (so they dont pit too early) and some logic so they dont "throw the race" on a last lap tyre change.

And that's why I love this game and patch 2.0 :)

Doug914
07-07-2015, 15:15
They look about 2 minutes ahead (adjsuted for weather acceleration) , so 1-2 laps at most tracks. if you want them to start on drys and then have to pit for rain, do 8-10 laps at 5x or 10X weather. 2 slots, first being a dry setting , then the second "rain"

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 15:49
^gonna test this now, GT3 at Road America.

I just finished at GT3 "dry" test at Road America with AI Strenght = 90% and everything went smooth. Doug, I think the initial "performance downgrade" of the AI on the first couple of corners to simulate cold tyres is a bit too strong. I passed many of them in the first couple of corners but I was slowly losing positions as the race progressed. So 85-90% is definitely right for me over the length of the race, but they are just a little too easy at the start.

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 17:02
It works.

Road America, 10 laps, 2 weather slots ("HEAVY CLOUD", "RAIN"), 5x weather acceleration, Real-time Time Acceleration. AI 85% strength.

End of lap 4 most (but not all!) of the AI dove for the pits so I followed them in (turns out that was Hamilton-like forecasting skills). WATCH CAREFULLY HOW I DO THE PIT STRATEGY! It worked fine for me. I even re-enter the pit strategy to reduce the fuel, I did not need anymore fuel to finish the race. Something that caught me off-guard was that on the final lap it stopped raining, I was expecting it to continue raining the rest of the race but I guess the weather kind of cycles through the weather slots. Learn something every day!

http://youtu.be/5P6MKzou8zQ

daddyboosive
07-07-2015, 18:17
Nice!

Is that the helmet cam you're using Umer?

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 18:20
Yeah, I think Helmet or just plain Cockpit Camera. Since I have "Show Helmet = OFF" I cannot really tell the difference.

daddyboosive
07-07-2015, 18:27
Yeh I like how the cam looks into the apex. I race with lads that have it set to interior view only that's all. So I was wondering if that includes the helmet cam too? Think it would work better then the fixed cockpit cam I reckon.

Goodelgin
07-07-2015, 19:30
Thanks everyone for guidance on this. Will give the weather acceleration a go later. This evening been playing around with tire wear post 2.0 patch. Noticed that 18 laps of Donnigton and Silverstone with x7 tire wear, real time acceleration and 70% AI strength, now causes most of the AI to pit around around laps 8 - 10, which is great. However, I can go the entire race without pitting even though 2 or 3 of my tires go blue. Normally end up at the end several seconds in the lead. Is this right? I don't seem to be affected by the x7 tire wear. Do I need to increase the 'time' acceleration from 'real time' to something higher?

Apart from this what a great game. Happy to pay for whatever DLC comes along and can see I'll be playing this for a long time to come.

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 19:40
problem with x7 wear (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Patch-2-0-Release-notes-OUT-NOW-on-PC-PS4&p=1035355#post1035355)

Goodelgin
07-07-2015, 20:19
What is the problem with x7? Will it work on my own car if I choose a lower tire wear number ie x5?

Umer Ahmad
07-07-2015, 20:36
did you click the link?

Goodelgin
07-07-2015, 20:40
Whoooops :) Sorry. Just noticed it was a link. Thanks for the heads up.

Doug914
08-07-2015, 00:40
Why are you (or anybody for that matter) using 7x tire wear? I wouldnt use anything over 4x personally. I wanted 5x and above removed from the game because it cant work believably at all tracks. Anyways don't go so arcade. Use 4x if you want to see tire changes but dont have the patience for real wear, yet it still feels believable.

What car are you using btw? Want to check its wear to see why it dosent match close the AI's. (7x will eggagerate this enormously, btw).

Umer Ahmad
08-07-2015, 00:49
Doug, I think they're using x7 just because it's there. They'll settle for whatever is the "fastest wear rate" the game offers. Probably we can/should remove the higher rates that don't make sense.

Goodelgin
08-07-2015, 00:53
Drive mostly and race against GT3 AI and wanted to use x7 tire wear as a substitute for a mandatory pit stop option for a race with a short number of laps - for example 10 laps at Donningtin GP.

Doug914
08-07-2015, 01:10
Doug, I think they're using x7 just because it's there. They'll settle for whatever is the "fastest wear rate" the game offers. Probably we can/should remove the higher rates that don't make sense.

Problem is it works at most normal tracks, but use it at lemans or the ring and you and the AI will blow tires trying to make one more lap..at 7x most ai can barely make one lap at the ring for instance.

Goodelgin
08-07-2015, 01:23
Tried 10 lap race at Donningtin GP earlier in a RUF GT3 and AI field of GT3 cars, at both x4 and x5 tire wear and my tires never moved from green and AI never had to pit for new tires. Pity. Won't be able to initiate a 'mandatory pit stop' this way. Will have to use a change in weather to wet to make this happen.

Doug914
08-07-2015, 01:52
Green is only the tire heat, it dosen't tell you anything about wear. Thats only down to feel.
I just did a gt3 race 10 laps at silverstone using the Mclaren on X7 wear. The AI went 8-9 laps as you mentioned and pitted. I stretched mine to the full 10 but barely could control the car on the 10th lap. The FFB was vibrating violently telling me i was on the cords:). cool stuff. Barely won by 3 seconds. One more lap and i would have been done. Seems to work perfect here. Maybe you had damage off?

Ryzza5
08-07-2015, 02:17
Can 7x at least be removed as an option for the longest tracks, in a similar way to how the '# of Laps' option is removed for point-to-point tracks?

yopp90
08-07-2015, 05:56
Will there be a meter for tire ware like the color system for the tire heat or will it be left to feel. As a dual shock 4 user I don't get the ffb the wheel guys get. Sorry if this has been asked about a millions times, I don't want to be THAT guy

Doug914
08-07-2015, 09:24
Its been asked, but no problem. It will probably be left to feel.

Marrrfooo
08-07-2015, 10:35

I actually think that - in order to strike the balance between realism and some accessibility - that tyre wear indication should be the sort of the thing your engineer gives you a heads up on.

"Okay, your pace looks to have dropped a little. Looks like you're about two thirds (etc.) through the life on those tyres."
"You're times are a few seconds down from your best on this set. Maybe a change in the next few laps?"
"Telemetry shows those tyres are just about gone - shall we box this lap?"

Is that sort of thing feasible?

Raven403
08-07-2015, 11:45

Any word on a way to know what's ON your car Doug?

chig88
08-07-2015, 11:55
I actually think that - in order to strike the balance between realism and some accessibility - that tyre wear indication should be the sort of the thing your engineer gives you a heads up on.

"Okay, your pace looks to have dropped a little. Looks like you're about two thirds (etc.) through the life on those tyres."
"You're times are a few seconds down from your best on this set. Maybe a change in the next few laps?"

Absolutely agree with this. A tyre wear indicator just seems too artificial.

The depth of rubber left on the tyre can't be measured during a race in real life, so I don't think we should be able to. Real life drivers/engineers have to make decisions based on lap times, driver feel, keeping an eye on the cars around them and their experience from practice sessions.

Mascot
08-07-2015, 12:23

Great idea. The pit engineer is a brilliant concept but is criminally underused in pCARS.

Any word on getting the engineer's voice to come though our main audio speakers or headsets instead of the DS4..?

Marrrfooo
08-07-2015, 14:20
Great idea. The pit engineer is a brilliant concept but is criminally underused in pCARS.

Any word on getting the engineer's voice to come though our main audio speakers or headsets instead of the DS4..?

I've put a new thread in the Featured Suggestions for this stuff - with a few other items I'd forgotten added in - take a look, add comments etc. Cheers guys.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34420-Race-Engineer-Improving-Contribution