PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard compatibility - Share your experience

PureMalt77
07-07-2015, 09:02
Hello everyone,
Like many others over here, I'm looking for buying a keyboard to use with PCars (in my case I tend for Bluetooth, as my ports are occupied with wheel + headset).
Since patch 2.0 is out, there is a mix of threads and reports about some keyboards working, some not.

Therefore I decided to open this exclusive thread about this topic, so please post here the following data about your keyboard.

1. Brand and Model

2. Type

USB
USB via dongle
Bluetooth

3. Status

Fully Working - you can map controls and use while driving (for eg. map and adjust sit position)
Partially Working - you can map controls and use while driving, but buttons are messed up (seen the case in some numeric keyboards)
Menu Working - can only be used in game menus
Not Working - Is obvious...

Important Note: for the people with Bluetooth KB, also test if the KB goes in sleep-mode after a while! Many of such mini KB goes in sleep mode to save battery, and can either have problems reconnecting or a long delay, which could be crucial depending on which key you would like to map. If you already posted about your BT-KB, feel free to review the post.

Thanks for sharing!

PureMalt77
Brand/Model: Cherry KW6000
Type: Bluetooth

PureMalt77
Brand/Model: Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro for PS3
Link: http://support.logitech.com.cn/product/cordless-mediaboard-pro-for-ps3

momotatwo
07-07-2015, 09:16
Brand/Model: Microsoft Arc Keyboard
Link: https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/de-de/p/arc-keyboard#overview
Type: USB Dongle

Voxen
07-07-2015, 11:58
Brand/Model: Targus AKP10EU
Type: USB
Status: Partially Working - you can map controls and use while driving, but buttons are messed up (seen the case in some numeric keyboards)
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B002Q4Y4WS/ref=pe_386181_51767671_TE_dp_1

sbtm
07-07-2015, 12:09
Brand/Model: Rapoo E9080

Type: USB via Dongle

jimmyb_84
07-07-2015, 12:13
Model/Brand - Microsoft wireless keyboard 1000

Type - USB Dongle

Status - Appears connected show keyboard symbol near DS4 battery, will not assign controls however I think the batteries are dead getting new ones will report back.

WarriusZero
07-07-2015, 14:04
I'll share here my findings with both a standard USB keyboard and a small numeric only USB keyboard:

1. You can now use all 3 input options in the menus.
2. You cannot map anything to the DS4 if your steering wheel is plugged in (even the DS4's Option button won't cancel the input pop up).
2b. The DS4's Option button does not pause the game, but if the game is paused with the steering wheel, the DS4 will then work in the menu.
3. On the keyboard, the 2, 4, 6 and 8 keys from the numeric keypad are by default mapped to look down, left, up and right. You cannot undo it, but you can map extra things to these keys; both actions will happen (I don't recommend it though).
4. The keyboard's P key pauses the game by default, without showing the Option menu.
5. On the numeric keypad, the " . Del " key (between 0 and Enter) does not seem to work (i.e. no mapping possible).
6. The Num Lock key works as any other key and does NOT affect the behaviour seen in #3.

3 and 5 are the biggest limitations for me as they don't look like intentional features (I could be wrong though).

VBR
07-07-2015, 14:07

That's good news for me, I have one of them for my PS3 but not tried it yet. Do I have to pair it with my PS4 before I use it in Project CARS?

WarriusZero
07-07-2015, 14:28
That's good news for me, I have one of them for my PS3 but not tried it yet. Do I have to pair it with my PS4 before I use it in Project CARS?

Yes, I think so.

tmitch45
07-07-2015, 15:00
Do you have to pair the Bluetooth Keyboards every time you turn on and play project cars and do the mapped buttons save ok?

PureMalt77
07-07-2015, 15:19
I'll share here my findings with both a standard USB keyboard and a small numeric only USB keyboard:

1. You can now use all 3 input options in the menus.
2. You cannot map anything to the DS4 if your steering wheel is plugged in (even the DS4's Option button won't cancel the input pop up).
2b. The DS4's Option button does not pause the game, but if the game is paused with the steering wheel, the DS4 will then work in the menu.
3. On the keyboard, the 2, 4, 6 and 8 keys from the numeric keypad are by default mapped to look down, left, up and right. You cannot undo it, but you can map extra things to these keys; both actions will happen (I don't recommend it though).
4. The keyboard's P key pauses the game by default, without showing the Option menu.
5. On the numeric keypad, the " . Del " key (between 0 and Enter) does not seem to work (i.e. no mapping possible).
6. The Num Lock key works as any other key and does NOT affect the behaviour seen in #3.

3 and 5 are the biggest limitations for me as they don't look like intentional features (I could be wrong though).

Regarding Number 3. Have you tried mapping other keys to the look up/down/left/right to see if it free-up the default 2-4-6-8?
Because that is exactly what I would like to have: map the LOOK buttons to the D-Pad of the wheel, so they are quickly accessible during race, and move my current d-pad settings (HUD, Camera, Lap etc) to the keyboard. Can you give that a try?

mjemec11
07-07-2015, 16:07
I have view left and right mapped to my wheel and it happened when I mapped seat adjustments to the keypad. So for instance numkey 4 would move the seat backward and look to the left.

jimbo_ac
07-07-2015, 16:59
Brand/Model: Apple Wireless Keyboard
Status: Fully working - i think, it has no keypad and i haven't tried all buttons.

wyldanimal
07-07-2015, 19:57
corded Full size roll up USB keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-Flexible-Full-Sized-Keyboard-AKB-230/dp/B000BHB5YW

Fully Supported except for the 2,4,6,8 Keys of the Numeric Key Pad, Also the ./Del key between the 0 and enter is not mappable.

you can Map the 2,4,6,8 keys, but they have also a hard coded function, same as the D Pad.
( these are the 4 keys that act as the arrow keys )
so you end up getting both functions with a single key press.

Note - using NumLock, does not change the keys.
the Numeric keypad keys are seen the same way regardless if Numlock is On or Off.

so number 7 above the full size keys is different then number 7 on the numeric pad.

here's an example of assigning the keys...
notice that some say numpad.

edit: there are a few other keys that also have a hard coded function. I think BackSpace is another one..
If I get a chance, I'll try all the keys..

Dumahim
07-07-2015, 21:34
Does the PS4 controller chatpad work in place of a keyboard?

mjemec11
07-07-2015, 21:38
corded Full size roll up USB keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-Flexible-Full-Sized-Keyboard-AKB-230/dp/B000BHB5YW

Fully Supported except for the 2,4,6,8 Keys of the Numeric Key Pad, Also the ./Del key between the 0 and enter is not mappable.

you can Map the 2,4,6,8 keys, but they have also a hard coded function, same as the D Pad.
( these are the 4 keys that act as the arrow keys )
so you end up getting both functions with a single key press.

Note - using NumLock, does not change the keys.
the Numeric keypad keys are seen the same way regardless if Numlock is On or Off.

so number 7 above the full size keys is different then number 7 on the numeric pad.

here's an example of assigning the keys...
notice that some say numpad.

edit: there are a few other keys that also have a hard coded function. I think BackSpace is another one..
If I get a chance, I'll try all the keys..
P pauses the game without showing the pause menu, print screen takes a screenshot.

PureMalt77
08-07-2015, 07:37
Does the PS4 controller chatpad work in place of a keyboard?

What do you mean by chatpad?
Perhaps something like this? http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00QSMU14Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=1AKT9HMW1XJBC6GJ8YBZ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296547&pf_rd_i=desktop

sVig
08-07-2015, 10:46
Brand/Model: Apple Wireless Keyboard
Status: Fully working - i think, it has no keypad and i haven't tried all buttons.

Fully working but you haven't tried all the buttons. lol WUT?

Anyway......

I just came here to ask about this and saw this thread. So assuming a keyboard fully works, I take it that we can now map controls to both the keyboard AND controller and use them BOTH whilst playing the game?

I want to map seat positioning and brake bias etc to some keyboard buttons but still use the pad. This will work now yes??

I can nip out and buy a cheapo keyboard without wasting my money???

danowat
08-07-2015, 16:31
Fosmon mini keyboard and touchpad.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-Portable-Bluetooth-Controller-Smartphones/dp/B00BX0YKX4

Bluetooth.

Fully working.

jimmyb_84
08-07-2015, 18:48
Fully working but you haven't tried all the buttons. lol WUT?

Anyway......

I just came here to ask about this and saw this thread. So assuming a keyboard fully works, I take it that we can now map controls to both the keyboard AND controller and use them BOTH whilst playing the game?

I want to map seat positioning and brake bias etc to some keyboard buttons but still use the pad. This will work now yes??

I can nip out and buy a cheapo keyboard without wasting my money???
Yes!

MAARTEN
08-07-2015, 19:37
1. Brand and Model
Targus Numeric Keypad, Black (AKP10US)

2. Type
USB

3. Status
Partially working. Numeric keys 2,4,6,8 is working but also used for look up down, left and right. This is probably nothing adressed to the keyboard itself rather the game.
The dot "."-key is not possible to map.

memoric77
08-07-2015, 19:55
This are my mappings with a belkin numeric pad. Switched Num Lock off to use second function of a key. key 5 and 000 without second function will only work if i use Num Lock. As example and labeled for testing, it's possible to use brake bias + and - on one key.

It's bad, that the adjustment for the Stabi is not been shown on the screen during race. and in the box it's still the same value as adjust before racing. something to improve.

Next job is to use the pad-electric as DIY ButtonBox ;)

jimmyb_84
08-07-2015, 20:48
Model/Brand - Microsoft wireless keyboard 1000

Type - USB Dongle

Status - Appears connected show keyboard symbol near DS4 battery, will not assign controls however I think the batteries are dead getting new ones will report back.

Ignore above had a logitech dongle in lol

New spec

Model/Brand Logitech Wireless
Type - USB Dongle

fully working found no faults

Dumahim
08-07-2015, 20:50
What do you mean by chatpad?
Perhaps something like this? http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00QSMU14Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=1AKT9HMW1XJBC6GJ8YBZ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296547&pf_rd_i=desktop
Yep

PureMalt77
08-07-2015, 21:08
This are my mappings with a belkin numeric pad. Switched Num Lock off to use second function of a key. key 5 and 000 without second function will only work if i use Num Lock. As example and labeled for testing, it's possible to use brake bias + and - on one key.

It's bad, that the adjustment for the Stabi is not been shown on the screen during race. and in the box it's still the same value as adjust before racing. something to improve

Nest job is to use the pad-electric as DIY ButtonBox ;)

Can you post the model of your keypad?
Don't you have the issue other people have with 2-4-6-8 also doing the look up/down/left/up?
Your brake bias sample: so you can do numlock on / brake + and numlock off / brake - ?

PureMalt77
08-07-2015, 21:10
Yep

I wanted to get this one. But compatibility apart, people complain that when is plugged into the DS4, the sound goes to the pad, as the PS4 recognizes it as if headphones are plugged in...

memoric77
08-07-2015, 23:56
Can you post the model of your keypad?
Don't you have the issue other people have with 2-4-6-8 also doing the look up/down/left/up?
Your brake bias sample: so you can do numlock on / brake + and numlock off / brake - ?

Have to take a look at the Office for detailed brand. i dont have the issue, when I turn off Num Lock. Yes, brake bias sample is right. imho it's important to choose a keyboard with all Keys have 2 functions.

this one, end of life:
http://www.planet-elektronik.de/BELKIN_Nummernblock-19-Tasten-fuer-Notebooks_33671.htm

just ordered this one, think it will be the same plus to functions more (5 and 000 with second function):
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=350748759511&alt=web

ChrisK
09-07-2015, 00:07
Logitech k810
Bluetooth, only have to pair once and then it connects automatically every time you turn ps4 on
Fully working.

Highly recommended.

Sik180sx
09-07-2015, 04:47
Logitech mk120
4 way usb hub
All works flawlessly

PureMalt77
09-07-2015, 08:32
Important Note: for the people with Bluetooth KB, also test if the KB goes in sleep-mode after a while! Many of such mini KB goes in sleep mode to save battery, and can either have problems reconnecting or a long delay, which could be crucial depending on which key you would like to map. If you already posted about your BT-KB, feel free to review the post.

MAARTEN
09-07-2015, 09:42

Therefor i went for a USB-connected keyboard instead of BT

sVig
09-07-2015, 10:07
Well I bobbed out and bought one. Got a Logitech K120. All seems to work. Not been able to get increase/decrease front/rear sway bars to work though. The values have all stayed the same when I look at them in the set up in the pits.

memoric77
09-07-2015, 10:12
Well I bobbed out and bought one. Got a Logitech K120. All seems to work. Not been able to get increase/decrease front/rear sway bars to work though. The values have all stayed the same when I look at them in the set up in the pits.

as i mentioned before, adjust sway bars during race isnt shown on screen or motec and in PIT its still the same. but you can feel the difference when you adjust it on Track. something to improve by devs. Short display off the value on screen for example

sVig
09-07-2015, 10:32
Ahhhh ok, cheers. Same thing with the brake bias too. I could immediately tell instantly with that though when I put it all to the rear.

memoric77
09-07-2015, 11:12
Ahhhh ok, cheers. Same thing with the brake bias too. I could immediately tell instantly with that though when I put it all to the rear.

But you can find brake bias on the motec screen:211239

MAARTEN
09-07-2015, 11:14
There is also no indicators if ABS, ESP and TC is on or off in cockpit-view. If you go hood-mode you see it in the meter. But there should be improvements so you see it in cockpit.

memoric77
09-07-2015, 11:18
There is also no indicators if ABS, ESP and TC is on or off in cockpit-view. If you go hood-mode you see it in the meter. But there should be improvements so you see it in cockpit.

yes, exactly. only a short display of the new value would be helpfull.

or switch for Abs, TC etc. on and off, or roll bar, brake bias value 1, 2, 3 ... to use separate keys or switches or rotary switches.

memoric77
09-07-2015, 13:26
Usb Keyboard Controller. Will use it to build DIY Buttonbox. Maybe some help for everyone else ;)

Somebody know how to connect a illuminated switch?

Dumahim
09-07-2015, 15:30
I wanted to get this one. But compatibility apart, people complain that when is plugged into the DS4, the sound goes to the pad, as the PS4 recognizes it as if headphones are plugged in...

Ah yeah, that'd be a deal-breaker for me. Thanks for that. Good thing I didn't get one.

sVig
09-07-2015, 16:29
I'm still getting sound through the pad with the keyboard plugged in (cheapo Logitech K120).

Didn't know about the brake bias thing showing on the motec though. Cheers.

jimmyb_84
09-07-2015, 22:38
Just spent the last hour and a half labelling my keyboard :) To say mrs was not impressed would be an understatement, thanks Ian and team.

jerry555
09-07-2015, 23:55
Microsoft 600 USB Keyboard controller all working.

PureMalt77
10-07-2015, 08:18
I'm still getting sound through the pad with the keyboard plugged in (cheapo Logitech K120).

Hi sVig. I was talking about this chatpad: http://www.amazon.de/Playstation-Tastatur-f%C3%BCr-Controller-Bluetooth/dp/B00QSMU14Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436516163&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4+keyboard
It has a head phone connector, to "forward" the sound to its own output jack. At the same time, it also has embedded speakers. And this is the problem: once you plug this keyboard to your DS4, the PS thinks there is a headset connected, and your TV simply goes mute! In short, this keyboard is only good if you use headsets, otherwise is no go.

memoric77
10-07-2015, 09:11
Microsoft 600 USB Keyboard controller all working.

Do you know how to connect LEDs which turn on when switch is pressed or illuminated switches themselves?

PureMalt77
10-07-2015, 11:04
Do you know how to connect LEDs which turn on when switch is pressed or illuminated switches themselves?

Since you cannot light the LEDs based on "game status", it would depend purely on the switch extra circuitry to turn the LED on/off on each press, but that can get out of sync. Say you press a button but the game do not register it, but the LED would light anyway.

memoric77
10-07-2015, 12:09
My Layout:211354

jerry555
10-07-2015, 12:29
You would have to use a totally separate control to run LEDs from the usb.
There are no outputs to run LEDs from the ps4.
Also the switches would not be latched on, so you would need some sort of electronics to run the LEDs.

MAARTEN
10-07-2015, 14:55
I don't think it is an easy task with the leds as Jerry555 says above. But doable if you are really great at electronics :)

There would be problem with the latched switches you have for ABS, ESP and TC i think, because then you will have the key pressed att all time when in on-mode just as if you for example were pressing numeric key nr 5 the whole time. You have to go with monostable switches (a switch that has a spring so it bounces back).

memoric77
10-07-2015, 18:54
I don't think it is an easy task with the leds as Jerry555 says above. But doable if you are really great at electronics :)

There would be problem with the latched switches you have for ABS, ESP and TC i think, because then you will have the key pressed att all time when in on-mode just as if you for example were pressing numeric key nr 5 the whole time. You have to go with monostable switches (a switch that has a spring so it bounces back).

Yesterday I tried the same key, number 5, on the keyboard controller i posted above for 1. switching the abs and 2. switching the brake bias. pressing the switch with mapped brake bias, after about pressing for 3 seconds it was switching automatically, with mapped Abs and pressing it for about one Minute or more, it wasnt switching automatically. I thing, the action, automatically or not, is configured by the game.

memoric77
10-07-2015, 18:57
You would have to use a totally separate control to run LEDs from the usb.
There are no outputs to run LEDs from the ps4.
Also the switches would not be latched on, so you would need some sort of electronics to run the LEDs.

I will use the keyboard controller to use the 5v Power for leds. turning the switch on, turn on the mapped function and the led at the same time. but I dont have any skill, habe to 'try and error' ;)

MAARTEN
10-07-2015, 19:46
Maybe you can get the led to turn on as you press the button but it will turn off as soon as you release the button. You need some circuit to hold it lid.

sbtm
10-07-2015, 20:47
i tested it.

It's no problem when the buttons are pressed permanently. You can press Lights, Wiper, TC etc for example and then press Seat adjustment or brake bias buttons and they are recognized normally.

when you have a switch like ON/ON you can put the 5V from USB to the LED and the switch so that it lights up when you switch to one of the ONs.

When you want to turn off the Headlights you switch to the other ON position and it's like pressing the button on the keyboard a second time with a little pause, but that's enough to be recognized.

But you will need a switch with 2x ON/ON so that the LEDs can be run seperatly from the other signals. If you wouldn't do it the LED would light up in every position.

Only thing you have to do before you start to race is switch everything back to default (like Headlights off, but turn them on when it's a night race because they are on in the game by default when you start in the dark). So it's not a 100% perfect solution but it will do its job to help raising the immersion.

So a touchbutton won't do the job, you'll need a switchbutton or toggle switches. That's how I'm gonna do it.

Already drew circuit plan and it's ready to be built.

This is what i meant with 2x ON/ON:

wyldanimal
11-07-2015, 05:12
i tested it.

It's no problem when the buttons are pressed permanently. You can press Lights, Wiper, TC etc for example and then press Seat adjustment or brake bias buttons and they are recognized normally.

when you have a switch like ON/ON you can put the 5V from USB to the LED and the switch so that it lights up when you switch to one of the ONs.

When you want to turn off the Headlights you switch to the other ON position and it's like pressing the button on the keyboard a second time with a little pause, but that's enough to be recognized.

But you will need a switch with 2x ON/ON so that the LEDs can be run seperatly from the other signals. If you wouldn't do it the LED would light up in every position.

Only thing you have to do before you start to race is switch everything back to default (like Headlights off, but turn them on when it's a night race because they are on in the game by default when you start in the dark). So it's not a 100% perfect solution but it will do its job to help raising the immersion.

So a touchbutton won't do the job, you'll need a switchbutton or toggle switches. That's how I'm gonna do it.

you need a resistor in line with the LED. Led's typically work of of around 2.5 volts..
so 5V from the USB is too much..
a 1 Watt, 220 ohm should be sufficient for the typical LED.

Here's a handy chart with different voltages and LED's
the resistor value really depends on how much current flows through the Led.

and the type of switch is called a Double Pole Double Throw or DPDT

Double Pole means it has two switching circuits
Double throw Means it has Two Positions

wyldanimal
11-07-2015, 05:23
And while it might seem OK to keep the Key Maintained with a toggle switch, you should still use a momentary circuit for the actual key press..

like this one described here.
convert a Maintained toggle switch to a momentary key press.

http://www.simprojects.nl/toggle_to_momentary.htm

A reed relay draws less current on the USB line, so I would go with that instead of the Ice Cube style relay.

PureMalt77
11-07-2015, 06:36
Shortly back to the original purpose of this thread!

Model: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K810
Sleep Mode: No Issue

If help others, after a long search, decided for this KB because:
1. bluetooth, my ports are taken (wheel, headset). Yes, you can plug in USB hubs, but I don't want to have more cables. On my 60" TV, I sit far away, and would need real long cables...
2. this KB pairs with 3 devices, so can use with other stuff too. I'm trying to build up a kind of "custom case" for it, where I will place labels on the buttons. Will post pictures if successful.

When my wheel goes out of warranty, will think about integrating a real button box, placing the hub directly in the wheel...

Fanapryde
11-07-2015, 07:13
+1
Fully working.

memoric77
12-07-2015, 08:53
i tested it.

thx for your help. i'm on the way to test it. have to buy on (off) on switch. touch button for Abs etc. kills my immersion ;).

memoric77
12-07-2015, 09:15
And while it might seem OK to keep the Key Maintained with a toggle switch, you should still use a momentary circuit for the actual key press..

like this one described here.
convert a Maintained toggle switch to a momentary key press.

http://www.simprojects.nl/toggle_to_momentary.htm

A reed relay draws less current on the USB line, so I would go with that instead of the Ice Cube style relay.

thx for the link. but with the Relais, the led won't work?!

BistoKid
12-07-2015, 15:33

It's bad, that the adjustment for the Stabi is not been shown on the screen during race. and in the box it's still the same value as adjust before racing. something to improve.

Next job is to use the pad-electric as DIY ButtonBox ;)

I'm liking the labelling, best I get down to the stationers!

sbtm
12-07-2015, 15:40
you need a resistor in line with the LED. Led's typically work of of around 2.5 volts..
so 5V from the USB is too much..
a 1 Watt, 220 ohm should be sufficient for the typical LED.

Here's a handy chart with different voltages and LED's
the resistor value really depends on how much current flows through the Led.

and the type of switch is called a Double Pole Double Throw or DPDT

Double Pole means it has two switching circuits
Double throw Means it has Two Positions

No. I use 5V LEDs. They need no resistor. Edit: I mean they need no extra resistor, they already have one built in. Sorry for confusion.

To clarify: I use LEDs like this: http://www.acalbfi.com/de/Indicators-Illumination/Panel-Mount/p/5V---Snap-in-LED-Integrierter-Widerstand---0-156-Zoll-Montageloch-Plattenmontierbare-LED-Anzeigen/0000000HWY

They need no extra resistor and are only for 5V Voltages. So I did not include any resistor in my personal circuit diagram. But I should have inform others about the resistor when showing an excerpt. Did not think of that.

So guys, use a proper resistor when using an LED because otherwise it may blow up, or you use an LED with integrated resistor for 5V like me.

Fiz45
15-07-2015, 21:24
Hi Guys,

Finally, Is someone knows a button box which works as a keyboard ?

jerry555
16-07-2015, 07:56
Hi Guys,

Finally, Is someone knows a button box which works as a keyboard ?

Check this thread. Has some good info.
I had made one using a keyboard controller card..
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31840-SEE-PATCH-2-0-Playstation-4-button-box

rocafella1978
17-07-2015, 13:04
going to post keyboarf test here too, but more important: how do you all connect so many or multiple USB to the PS4 and making sure it all works???

Fanapryde
17-07-2015, 13:14
going to post keyboarf test here too, but more important: how do you all connect so many or multiple USB to the PS4 and making sure it all works???
External powered USB hub...

Sessionerror
20-07-2015, 11:17
Brand and Model:
CSL - Ultra Slim Bluetooth Keyboard

Type:
Bluetooth

Fully working

memoric77
22-07-2015, 23:00
DIY Button Box WIP ;)

DIY Button Box Project Cars PS4 WIP: https://youtu.be/1_rx4xrz4JM

memoric77
23-07-2015, 20:14
Paper-Prototype finished ;)213087213088

andycass
23-07-2015, 21:15
Just finished mine. Used old usb keyboard added handbrake and built racing seat. got everything from work total cost 0.00 everything came out of old buses and coaches. may not look the best but passed a few hours on and does the job. 213093213094

Spitfire77
23-07-2015, 21:42
I'm using an old Dell USB keyboard - I think the L100? Basic USB keyboard no frills & durable.

It is hooked up to a cheap USB hub (an old job gave me years ago I had lying around) with my headset dongle.

Everything works just fine..

I was thinking about putting labels on it but since I am already used to it and I know which keys do what... I am not bothering.

Basic idea ***
arrow keys up down = move seat up/down
arrow keys left right = move seat forwards and backwards
num pad + - = brake bias
I = ignition
Spacebar = start engine (large button to easily hit after a stall)
C = auto clutch
M = cycle motech display
L = cycle laps display
other things I forget because I don't really use..

Pappa_Stig
25-07-2015, 06:35
Brand/Model: AV Labs AVL 144

I picked this up brand new from Harvey Norman (Australians will know what I'm talking about) for $8.95, and it came in a pack with a USB mouse too. All works perfectly with the PS4, so considering how bottom of the range this stuff is, I'd expect pretty much all USB keyboards to work. For those of you in the UK, $8.95aud is 4.20gbp.

Fre.Mo
25-07-2015, 14:27
Brand/Model: Targus numpad AKP10EU

I just bought a USB NumPad and it indeed works, but the 8, 4, 6, and 2 keys are by default already assigned to Look up, left, right and down, respectively since they correspond to the arrows ->. For instance if I assign the key 8 to Seat Down, the key has the 2 functions: Seat Down and Look up together.

chig88
25-07-2015, 23:18
Brand/Model: Targus numpad AKP10EU

I just bought a USB NumPad and it indeed works, but the 8, 4, 6, and 2 keys are by default already assigned to Look up, left, right and down, respectively since they correspond to the arrows ->. For instance if I assign the key 8 to Seat Down, the key has the 2 functions: Seat Down and Look up together.

Bollocks. I've ordered this to replace a number pad I had with this exact problem! Looks like I've wasted my money then if it's just the same. :mad:

Ian / devs - can this be changed so that 2,4,6 & 8 can be assigned to the functions we'd like instead of look up, left, right & down? A lot of people will have no use for look up/down & it's using up buttons on the keyboard/numberpad for no reason. Also if the "." button could be assigned to something that would be nice.

Pretty please! ;)

diesel97
26-07-2015, 22:52
Bollocks. I've ordered this to replace a number pad I had with this exact problem! Looks like I've wasted my money then if it's just the same. :mad:

Ian / devs - can this be changed so that 2,4,6 & 8 can be assigned to the functions we'd like instead of look up, left, right & down? A lot of people will have no use for look up/down & it's using up buttons on the keyboard/numberpad for no reason. Also if the "." button could be assigned to something that would be nice.

Pretty please! ;)

i thought if you lock/unlock and remap it changes ? either way this has nothing to do with SMS

mjemec11
27-07-2015, 06:38
Nope, numkeys always look around even if you bind something to that key. The game then performs both actions. I think this has something to do with SMS.

memoric77
29-07-2015, 18:32
Project Button-Box finished ;)

DIY PS4 Button-Box How-To: https://youtu.be/WVT_yaiFq-E

VR_Green
02-08-2015, 12:56
Right this is really starting to do my head in, 4 keyboards i have tried all DO NOT WORK and have the same problem, Works in menus, can not map any buttons, will only let me randomly map one button then stops working. i have even been out this morning to buy a new one and that still doesn't work.

1. Brand and Model
Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard

2. Type
USB

3. Status
Works in menus, can not map any buttons, will only let me randomly map one button then stops working.

1. Brand and Model
Novatech Multimedia Keyboard

2. Type
USB

3. Status
Works in menus, can not map any buttons, will only let me randomly map one button then stops working.

1. Brand and Model
Zippy EL-610

2. Type
USB

3. Status

1. Brand and Model
Logitech K120 - only purchased this morning

2. Type
USB

3. Status

Its sooo frustrating, i am sure it clearly stated in the updates this feature....there is a website of people screaming for this feature....yet why am i sat here with 4 keyboards that don't work. if i didn't test software that i have written for my job then i would be fired!

I have even just spent ridiculous amount of money on getting all the parts to make a 20 button panel box with metal buttons that light up when toggled.

ant1897
22-09-2015, 17:28
Have to take a look at the Office for detailed brand. i dont have the issue, when I turn off Num Lock. Yes, brake bias sample is right. imho it's important to choose a keyboard with all Keys have 2 functions.

this one, end of life:
http://www.planet-elektronik.de/BELKIN_Nummernblock-19-Tasten-fuer-Notebooks_33671.htm

just ordered this one, think it will be the same plus to functions more (5 and 000 with second function):
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=350748759511&alt=web

Any news if the second link one works well?

LeonVast
27-06-2016, 15:24
hi. game wont keep keyboard drive settings.
i just started on the game after ball busting with STEAM to connect.
i have usb connect keyboard .
want to use keyboard steering as i dont have room for steering wheel or pedals etc
want to use as have used for grid, shift, and other sim/arcade games where worked fine
But for this game i cannot set any buttons to steer accelerate brake ? and it doesnt save auto clutch
etc etc, i guess is the fun of frustration just starting?
games used to by some much easier to get going 7, 10 years ago.

LeonVast
27-06-2016, 15:27

Pretty please! ;)

i agree, i just cant get going with this game. just installed but i cant map any keys to drive.
frustrating. dont want steering wheel, have no room.
keyboard mapping worked fine with other driving games.

LeonVast
27-06-2016, 15:30
I'm using an old Dell USB keyboard - I think the L100? Basic USB keyboard no frills & durable.

It is hooked up to a cheap USB hub (an old job gave me years ago I had lying around) with my headset dongle.

Everything works just fine..

I was thinking about putting labels on it but since I am already used to it and I know which keys do what... I am not bothering.

Basic idea ***
arrow keys up down = move seat up/down
arrow keys left right = move seat forwards and backwards
num pad + - = brake bias
I = ignition
Spacebar = start engine (large button to easily hit after a stall)
C = auto clutch
M = cycle motech display
L = cycle laps display
other things I forget because I don't really use..

ok. but what keys do u use to drive ..steer left right accelerate brake,
because i cant map anything, nothing saves after i i enter it and i cant drive.
not even auto clutch saves, manual gearing doesnt save.
i think i may have picked a real can of worms game.

LeonVast
27-06-2016, 15:48
Just spent the last hour and a half labelling my keyboard :) To say mrs was not impressed would be an understatement, thanks Ian and team.

hi.
what key do u use to steer accelerate brake reverse ?
i cant map any driving keys. game wont save any i enter to save.
new purchase install but cant drive. i can but feesl like Stevie Wonder,
numeric keys 8 4 56 will allow accelerate left right brake reverse but
all with look up down left right etc, so its useless to drive like that?

jimmyb_84
08-07-2016, 11:59
hi.
what key do u use to steer accelerate brake reverse ?
i cant map any driving keys. game wont save any i enter to save.
new purchase install but cant drive. i can but feesl like Stevie Wonder,
numeric keys 8 4 56 will allow accelerate left right brake reverse but
all with look up down left right etc, so its useless to drive like that?

I use my wheel and pedal to accelerate and brake also provide the steering. I use the keyboard for all the extra controls