PDA

View Full Version : VDash Race Monitor

flynny75
07-07-2015, 17:50
Hello All! (On PC at least...)

As some of you may know, I am the author of the VDash android app (seriously mods/blues, can I get in that list of apps yet?), and others may have seen I have mentioned Race Monitor around a few times.

So this is Race Monitor (vdash.pro/race_monitor.php)

Race Monitor allows you to 'watch' multiplayer races in near enough real time. Its pretty similar to F1's live timing website.
FEATURES

Live mapping (on some tracks) - See the real position of participants on the track map. Not all tracks are mapped, but its a really easy process (the VDash app can export the image) and I'll be adding more as soon as my PC is back out of its box. Maps include Start / Finish line, as well as sector markers.
Hide some participants from the map, and hover over them to highlight them
See leaderboard with current lap times, ping times, states, race information, session information
When implemented in the DS, authorised users will be able to modify server settings and send chat to the server

It is written in JavaScript, and uses Ajax to retrieve the server data.

ADVANTAGES

Server admins need to make no changes (apart from enable the HTTP API), the required http headers are already set in the default config.
You don't need to install any special software, it all works in the browser
Server owners can add direct links from their websites to Race Monitor and have it automatically connect

DISADVANTAGES

You need to know the HTTP API address of the server you are trying to watch, which isn't readily available, so server admins will need to make this address available.

USING RACE MONITOR
Enter the HTTP API address of the server into the address bar. Set the port and poll rate and click connect. You can see what the output looks like by clicking Connect with an empty address.

As you can probably see, its not finished, and there are a few bugs. What I need from you guys is to use it, ask your server admins for the HTTP API address and use it, and see how it copes with a lot of players. The vdash.pro webserver will not suffer if a lot of people are using Race Monitor because it uses your own resources to retrieve and process the data. Although it may be a little bare at the moment, it will continue to see updates as the DS API continues to improve.

http://i59.tinypic.com/34q0as0.jpg

norbs
08-07-2015, 01:55
Looks great. Thanks.

ZiggyUK
08-07-2015, 02:29
Good to see it going live

F1_Racer68
14-07-2015, 13:17
I am assuming this only works in conjunction with the Dedicated servers, and not with races that are simply hosted with the game's online lobby function?

Love the idea, but at the moment we do not have a dedicated server available for our league.

flynny75
15-07-2015, 17:29
I am assuming this only works in conjunction with the Dedicated servers, and not with races that are simply hosted with the game's online lobby function?

Love the idea, but at the moment we do not have a dedicated server available for our league.

unfortunately, yeah, it only works with the dedicated server. Before news about the server's API was announced I was going to implement it in a similar manner with the VDash server sending the data to the webserver. Its not a trivial amount of work.. but is that something that people would find useful? It would mean you could use Race Monitor for peer-to-peer multiplayer.

F1_Racer68
15-07-2015, 23:33
unfortunately, yeah, it only works with the dedicated server. Before news about the server's API was announced I was going to implement it in a similar manner with the VDash server sending the data to the webserver. Its not a trivial amount of work.. but is that something that people would find useful? It would mean you could use Race Monitor for peer-to-peer multiplayer.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

it's probably a small percentage of users that would use it for peer-to-peer to the level we would. Probably not worth the effort on your part. I guess we will just have to wait until we are able to get a dedicated server up and running. Once we do, we will definitely make use of this.

wolfscastle
16-07-2015, 19:09
Hmmmm, show here => http://217.160.21.208:9000/

Tool works, but i dont can connect to server..whats wrong?

erickgoldner
24-09-2015, 13:42
flynny75,

Any chance of help on getting the HTTP API address of my server?

Inserting the IP it shows on the 'received public IP ***.***.***.***' line from the server Log doesn´t work (Could not connect to server).

satco1066
26-09-2015, 23:35
did you set portforwarding to this port in your router? As for the other three ports ( host, query, steam).