PDA

View Full Version : Laggy experience while playing career

ltheONEl
07-07-2015, 18:42
Difficult one to explain, however...

While racing most notable with Go-Karts the Game appears to slowdown then rush to catch-up with it's self. I is not frame-rating, frame rate appears to be constant, but If I get to a corner and turn in, nothing quite happens so I give a bit more to the steering then suddenly the game speeds up and I crash as I have over corrected.

It feels like the car is slowing down then speeding up but it's not the car it's the game engine. It has the feel that there is a message queue which is not being serviced at a constant rate, so as I change input (steer left or right or break/accelerate) not all the inputs are processed in a timely manner, once the engine has time to service this queue all the inputs get processed very quickly with the outcome: my car is off onto the grass.

The issue is visible on screen as you feel like the break is being dabbed and released every couple of seconds, like the car is slowing down then speeding up suddenly. But I am not pressing the break (on straights)

Is this a known issue? If so is there a fix on the way? At the moment I can't win any Kart races due to going off track directly caused by this issue I am experiencing.

OpticalHercules
07-07-2015, 18:59
The speed up/slow down of the game is a known issue.

Usually doing a hard reset of the xbox will resolve this. Hold power button on xbox for 20seconds or so until the power brick light goes yellow. Then unplug the power cord from back of xbox, tap the power button a couple times and then plug it back in and boot it up.

I think this is related to other games/apps taking up memory after they are closed. I only notice this issue when switching from another game (usually Elder Scrolls atm), and starting up this game without doing a reset on the xbox.

Merkury
08-07-2015, 00:36
The speed up/slow down of the game is a known issue.

Usually doing a hard reset of the xbox will resolve this. Hold power button on xbox for 20seconds or so until the power brick light goes yellow. Then unplug the power cord from back of xbox, tap the power button a couple times and then plug it back in and boot it up.

I think this is related to other games/apps taking up memory after they are closed. I only notice this issue when switching from another game (usually Elder Scrolls atm), and starting up this game without doing a reset on the xbox.

I really hate this console and generation of gaming. Why in the hell should anyone have to do what you just described to get a game to work. I mean shouldn't developers have access to code that can dump the memory when a game starts? If they don't then perhaps Microsoft is to blame for building a problematic console. I am nearing my personal frustration limit with Microsoft's current offering of console. It's not just Project Cars that gives me problems, it's the Xbox One in general. In the future, I am considering purchase of games on Steam and my Xbox One may be relegated to doing something that it can handle better, like Netflix streaming.

nissan4ever
08-07-2015, 02:26
I really hate this console and generation of gaming. Why in the hell should anyone have to do what you just described to get a game to work. I mean shouldn't developers have access to code that can dump the memory when a game starts? If they don't then perhaps Microsoft is to blame for building a problematic console. I am nearing my personal frustration limit with Microsoft's current offering of console. It's not just Project Cars that gives me problems, it's the Xbox One in general. In the future, I am considering purchase of games on Steam and my Xbox One may be relegated to doing something that it can handle better, like Netflix streaming.

From what I hear, the PS4 is just as bad in the same regard of clearing/dumping cache.

jason
08-07-2015, 02:32
no the ps4 isn't ........ complete rubbish

OpticalHercules
08-07-2015, 02:49

Every game system since Atari has had a reset button, and every system has had games that got hung-up. Xbox One doesn't have a reset button, but the purpose of resetting is the same. PC's are no different. When you open and then close a program, some of the memory used by that program is still held until the system is rebooted. Early consoles had no native OS and required a cartridge or disc to run everything. Playstation 1 and maybe sega saturn (I dunno, never owned one) had a very basic native OS, but the system was automatically rebooted each time the lid was closed with a disc installed. The first Xbox and PS2 built upon that, providing a few native services such as photo storage. I really don't understand why people think that just because a game console is not a "PC" that it's supposed to be any more or less stable than anything else. There is only one difference between your XBone/PS4 and a PC, and that is the Operating System. The components are the exact same, just the OS is purpose built for that specific hardware build.

I don't know for fact but I think PCars uses so much more of the system's resources that having any percentage of them occupied by any other background program can and does cause performance issues. Especially with the "Instant-On" feature. Has anyone ever owned a Windows-Based PC where sleep/hibernate actually worked as well as advertised and/or didn't cause performance issues after a prolonged period of cycling back and forth between on/sleep? I know I haven't, and I don't expect a Microsoft-running console to behave any differently.

Merkury
09-07-2015, 00:36
Every game system since Atari has had a reset button, and every system has had games that got hung-up. Xbox One doesn't have a reset button, but the purpose of resetting is the same. PC's are no different. When you open and then close a program, some of the memory used by that program is still held until the system is rebooted. Early consoles had no native OS and required a cartridge or disc to run everything. Playstation 1 and maybe sega saturn (I dunno, never owned one) had a very basic native OS, but the system was automatically rebooted each time the lid was closed with a disc installed. The first Xbox and PS2 built upon that, providing a few native services such as photo storage. I really don't understand why people think that just because a game console is not a "PC" that it's supposed to be any more or less stable than anything else. There is only one difference between your XBone/PS4 and a PC, and that is the Operating System. The components are the exact same, just the OS is purpose built for that specific hardware build.

I don't know for fact but I think PCars uses so much more of the system's resources that having any percentage of them occupied by any other background program can and does cause performance issues. Especially with the "Instant-On" feature. Has anyone ever owned a Windows-Based PC where sleep/hibernate actually worked as well as advertised and/or didn't cause performance issues after a prolonged period of cycling back and forth between on/sleep? I know I haven't, and I don't expect a Microsoft-running console to behave any differently.

I hear you man, I don't use the instant-on feature and I sure as hell don't let my desktop computer enter sleep or hibernate. My point is that on every console I have ever owned prior to the Xbox One, I have never had issues like these, spare the occasional full on freeze where you have no option other than turning the power off and back on. If the console is the problem, then they need to program for it differently or use less resources, etc. I would personally rather Project Cars just lock up than stutter and stall for 10 seconds every 3 laps, causing me to run off the track or brake late. At least if it locked up completely I would just stop playing it and not put up with it anymore.

Tell me this... Is it too much to ask that the console and games we buy work as advertised and expected? I've been playing video games for 20+ years. Am I just an old fart that remembers a golden age where the games worked right and now that is a thing of the past? If it is, then I guess I'll have to just move on and stop playing new games. Until someone can convince me of that though, I'll continue to express my opinion.

I'm not trying to argue or fight with anyone either. Just looking for a solution to my problems and I feel like these problems extend well outside of just Project Cars.

OpticalHercules
09-07-2015, 02:32
Tell me this... Is it too much to ask that the console and games we buy work as advertised and expected? I've been playing video games for 20+ years. Am I just an old fart that remembers a golden age where the games worked right and now that is a thing of the past? If it is, then I guess I'll have to just move on and stop playing new games. Until someone can convince me of that though, I'll continue to express my opinion.

I remember several of my favorite NES & SNES games locking up to where they required a reboot. The difference there was the game cartridge was the only software running on the system. The games themselves were basically the Operating System. Xbox One has a native OS built in and the games are just an additional program running on top of the OS. 360 shipped with bugs and had system updates, xbox one does too. I think the days of single-program consoles are dead and gone. This is how it is, and how it will be until the next big gaming revolution happens. I highly doubt the PS4/Xbox1 will be the last generation of consoles due to their marketability, and it is a virtual guarantee that future systems will be even more dependent on a background OS and packed with "entertainment" features. The era of buggy systems and games isn't going away any time soon.

Remember that in most technological things from software to electronics to engines, performance and reliability are two mutually exclusive terms. Being that performance is usually the factor being pushed the most, reliability is the factor that will suffer the most.

madmax2069
09-07-2015, 03:06
No software is ever perfect, its the nature of the beast. The more lines of code you have the more bugs you'll likely to have. Games back in the day (snes, nes era) wasn't really as complex as games are today, and didnt contain as much code as games of today. You can fix a line of code which can cause a few more bugs to show up.

nissan4ever
09-07-2015, 07:30
no the ps4 isn't ........ complete rubbish

For clearing/dumping cache, YES IT IS. PS4 stinks at it, just like Xbox One.

X30 Nemec666
09-07-2015, 07:53
Playing offline resolved this Issue for me. Hard reset changed nothing on my xbox one.

transfix
12-07-2015, 21:48
It happens very bad on Hockenheim. I'm running the LMP2 career and can't even finish the race at this track. Slowing into corners I can't tell if I'm too fast or slow due to the screen pulsing exactly like IthONEI mentioned. Hope this gets fixed in 2.0