PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a 34 year old Dad with 15 years removed from gaming.

sailordude9980
07-07-2015, 22:57
I have had project cars for a month now. At first, it was really frustrating. Now its SO MUCH FUN. So how did that happen?

1. Bit the bullet, got a G27 race wheel. (didn't have to be that one, just first one I thought of)
2. Realize that I am a horrible driver. What I mean is I SUCK AT DRIVING, and that is OK right now. I see improvements.
3. Programming is not easy. Taking a C++ programming class at the old age of 34. Wow, how the bleep.....
4. Patience, Patience, Patience.....Read Read Read....Test Test Test. Its called a simulator. How many of us know how to tune a car in real life? Not me. I only know how to break one.
5. There is a human on the other end of the ethernet cord. I say again, there is a human being that is on your side. That said, he or she is not your therapist.

The Europeans love racing (had no idea how popular it was over there). I didn't realize how much they knew about cars. We Americans (can only speak for myself) loath at our muscle cars, but Europeans really know their stuff when it comes to cars and how to race on a track. (I grew up 15 min away from Indy 500 racetrack)

Oh and today I forgot how much fun a manual transmission is to drive. At the end of the day, I try to have fun. Its cheesy, its corny. I heard the word fanboy for the first time. My 10 year old called me that yesterday....(only once). Life is hard enough.

Slowsley
08-07-2015, 01:51
Cool man. Now let's get you into sports car racing. It's pretty decent here on our side of the pond too, just the coverage sucks so you'll have to stream mostly, but sounds like you're ripe and ready.

Joethe147
08-07-2015, 02:20
I have had project cars for a month now. At first, it was really frustrating. Now its SO MUCH FUN. So how did that happen?

1. Bit the bullet, got a G27 race wheel. (didn't have to be that one, just first one I thought of)
2. Realize that I am a horrible driver. What I mean is I SUCK AT DRIVING, and that is OK right now. I see improvements.
3. Programming is not easy. Taking a C++ programming class at the old age of 34. Wow, how the bleep.....
4. Patience, Patience, Patience.....Read Read Read....Test Test Test. Its called a simulator. How many of us know how to tune a car in real life? Not me. I only know how to break one.
5. There is a human on the other end of the ethernet cord. I say again, there is a human being that is on your side. That said, he or she is not your therapist.

The Europeans love racing (had no idea how popular it was over there). I didn't realize how much they knew about cars. We Americans (can only speak for myself) loath at our muscle cars, but Europeans really know their stuff when it comes to cars and how to race on a track. (I grew up 15 min away from Indy 500 racetrack)

Oh and today I forgot how much fun a manual transmission is to drive. At the end of the day, I try to have fun. Its cheesy, its corny. I heard the word fanboy for the first time. My 10 year old called me that yesterday....(only once). Life is hard enough.

Yeah. some of the most famous car manufacturers in the world like Ferrari and Audi, famous race tracks such as Monza and Spa, along with a thing called Formula 1 which primarily raced in Europe for a long time. Oh and the term Grand Prix started a century ago, France are a big part of how car racing really started in the first place.

Such a ridiculous post yet it has so many likes and no one pulling this guy on some of his comments, somehow not realising that racing is actually popular in Europe. Incredible.

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 02:25
Yeah. some of the most famous car manufacturers in the world like Ferrari and Audi, famous race tracks such as Monza and Spa, along with a thing called Formula 1 which primarily raced in Europe for a long time. Oh and the term Grand Prix started a century ago, France are a big part of how car racing really started in the first place.

Such a ridiculous post yet it has so many likes and no one pulling this guy on some of his comments, somehow not realising that racing is actually popular in Europe. Incredible.

I think you should revisit text interpretation classes.

Slowsley
08-07-2015, 02:28
Is hating on nice folks popular over there too?

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 02:31
Is hating on nice folks popular over there too?

Nope, it's a glitch

kjay
08-07-2015, 02:45

@sailordude9980 Here is another new word for you - Negatard!
Disregard the negativity and enjoy the sim.

Sp4mD4gger
08-07-2015, 03:00

Re your last paragraph, I imagine that he is referring to gaming, not real motor sports. In which case it makes sence as it is clearly stated in the title of the subject that he has been 15 years removed from gaming.
If you had interpreted it correctly then the reason for the likes is clear.

ONT
08-07-2015, 04:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkxAAilnLEI

sailordude9980
08-07-2015, 05:40
Im game :) Any streams that you recommend?

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 05:45

World challenge and tudor series both have live streams of the races on their websites. Tudor have longer multi class races. world challenge have a race weekend with touring, Porsche cup and multiclass sprint races.

sailordude9980
08-07-2015, 05:54
Sir

The intent of my post was in no way intentonally published to offend, criticize or mock race popularity in Europe. Although being in the Navy has brought me to serve along side English, Italians, German and....the Aussies (Totally off topic sea story), I regret to inform you of my ignorance of race car popularity in Europe. If anything, I have learned jn a very short amount of time that road range is a universal trait, regardless of nationality (except the aussies, again, its a sea story)

Hope to see you out on the track :)

sailordude9980
08-07-2015, 05:56
got them marked on my browser. thanks for the recommendations.

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 05:58
got them marked on my browser. thanks for the recommendations.

Don't worry man, if you need something don't be afraid to ask. People here are helpful, the most part at least.

Thanks for your service, sir.

John Hargreaves
08-07-2015, 08:07

Sorry mate, I think you came in the wrong door. CoD forums are down the corridor and second on the left.

Or: jeez, give the guy a break.

Slowsley
08-07-2015, 08:27

Go to the Tudor US Sports Car page and you can watch any past race to see what you think. Just a general list of what I like:
WEC, Blancpain series', BTCC, WTCC, Creventic (?) races are cool...

Slowsley
08-07-2015, 08:28
You can watch any of those on YouTube.

Slowsley
08-07-2015, 08:31
I learned a lot in the beginning from the ten-tenths motorsports forums.

PeoplesChampion
08-07-2015, 11:00
]

Lol.. I thought the same thing, man, but the guy seems genuine and positive so I didn't say anything. No need to rain on the guy..

I'm sure Europeans thought America couldn't hang on the racetrack until Shelby made his amazing race cars, like the Cobra.

Oh, yeah, he stole the car from you guys.. Lol

PeoplesChampion
08-07-2015, 11:08
World challenge and tudor series both have live streams of the races on their websites. Tudor have longer multi class races. world challenge have a race weekend with touring, Porsche cup and multiclass sprint races.

I have a friend that races in the World Challenge. We grew up together.. I don't know anybody in the world that is more passionate about driving.

KK78
08-07-2015, 11:26
Sorry mate, I think you came in the wrong door. CoD forums are down the corridor and second on the left.

Or: jeez, give the guy a break.

Yeah we are all adults in here *looks around*

No wait, idiots are across videogames, not the reserve of a multi billion dollar shooter franchise ;):rolleyes:

Baron_Greenback
08-07-2015, 11:29
All you need is time and a bit of patients. A good wheel setup is a good place to start. G27 SETUP GUIDE (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE)
Practice is the only route. Be light on the throttle, steering and brakes and gradually increase your speed until you find the limits of the car, on the particular track your running.
Learning how to set up the cars for different tracks also goes a long way to improving your skills.

Just to knock the trend in this thread, by offering some help.:)

MrFlibble81
08-07-2015, 11:57

Hi! Glad to hear you're enjoying this game as much a everyone else seems to!

Racing does seem to be more popular in Europe. I'm from England originally but I moved to Texas nearly 3 years ago so I can tell the difference especially down here. The coverage sucks though so you have to stream a lot of racing from the internet but it's all good though!

Texas is much better than Portsmouth England!

I am also a 34 year old Dad with 2 kids, an 11 year old and a 6 month old. And although I'm not 15 years removed from gaming I do find myself with less time to game these days which sucks honestly. But on the plus side, my kids bring me so much joy and pleasure (even with the older ones problems -- Aspergers, ADHD, Autism) that it far outweighs the lack of gaming time.

In fact these days my world basically consists of a mixture baby spit up and baby talk with the odd adult conversation thrown in there!

What I'm planning on doing though this weekend if I get time is starting Facebook group for Dads all around the world where we can get together, sound off about the kids (and the wife if you need to, I know I do sometimes! lol), organize races with people who totally understand that you need to suddenly go sometimes because the kids start whining or whatever. The inconsiderate bastards! Haha.

So if that's something you would be interested in then keep an eye on the forums because I shall post a link and everything on here as soon as I've done it!

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 13:51
I have a friend that races in the World Challenge. We grew up together.. I don't know anybody in the world that is more passionate about driving.

That's awesome man, I have a friend that owns several car dealerhips (BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Mini) and the whole familie is on motorsports, his son races class A6 rally and he is racing the Ginetta GT4 SuperCup in the US right now. The guy is rich and crazy for cars, what else to do? auhauha

xautos
08-07-2015, 14:13

point 2 wont last much longer! keep racing, before you realize it, a few weeks have past and you found speed you didnt even know you had found until you compare times and notes from previous races you done weeks ago. just a matter of observation and adapting, thats what sim and race drivers do, they find ways to win and have the best tools to do it. its not just europe, south america has a following stock cars as well as touring cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkade7XrYLM

you got superformula in japan, japan's premier version of formula 1 like indycar to the USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35rLtudIOiE

you got v8 supercars in australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRm_LtoIuM

there is alot of motorsport i follow, far too much but yeah, you get the idea. you should look around, there are plenty of exciting championships from around the planet to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIBiQ5PtueY
*runs away* :rolleyes:

ElectricBlues85
08-07-2015, 14:21

Glad you're enjoying it. I've took 4/5 years off gaming. I used to be a Forza nut back then, wheel setup and the lot. Now I'm hacking away on the PS4 with a pad and whilst I'm no where near as quick as I used to be, I'm still having fun.

Football (Soccer) is the main sport in Europe but we do have a lot of passionate & dedicated fans of Motorsport. I've travelled thousands of miles to see F1 races on a number of occasions and driven to the Nurburgring from the UK more than once, just to do a few laps! (There may have been some beer involved after the event of course!).

One of the best ways to improve is to search YouTube for "Project Cars *Insert track* *Insert car/class*" and watch how the fast people drive. It's done me no end of good :).

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 14:22
point 2 wont last much longer! keep racing, before you realize it, a few weeks have past and you found speed you didnt even know you had found until you compare times and notes from previous races you done weeks ago. just a matter of observation and adapting, thats what sim and race drivers do, they find ways to win and have the best tools to do it. its not just europe, south america has a following stock cars as well as touring cars.

Brazilian stock car is awesome. In the last 10 years it jumped from modified chevrolet omegas to vectras to full tubular chassis. They use some DTM specs for cockpit and safety. The sound of those GM V8 and Ricardo gearboxes is just music to my ears. There are even invitational races, like that you link, when they have to invite an external driver to be the race partner, it's not rare to see F1 drivers beeing invited.

PTG Ty1er Ward
08-07-2015, 14:31

The overwhelming majority of Americans couldn't explain the offsides rule in the the worlds most popular sport, yet you're surprised he didn't know about Motorsport knowledge/popularity outside the U.S.? Who's really the sheltered one in this scenario?

Umer Ahmad
08-07-2015, 15:04
I would circuit/GT/road racing is more popular in europe. Oval/NASCAR racing dominates in the USA. See the crowds and full grandstands at Daytona and Talladega for example.

BTW, i plan to attend the TUDOR race in August @ Road America. About 3 hours drive from Chicago. If any Chiago guys wanna jump in my minivan let me know!

xautos
08-07-2015, 15:11
I would circuit/GT/road racing is more popular in europe. Oval/NASCAR racing dominates in the USA. See the crowds and full grandstands at Daytona and Talladega for example.

BTW, i plan to attend the TUDOR race in August @ Road America. About 3 hours drive from Chicago. If any Chiago guys wanna jump in my minivan let me know!

i wouldnt fully agree that its just nascar or indycar are the most popular, TUSCC is coming on leaps and bounds since the two american series (ALMS and RSCS) were scrapped and wrapped up into one with BOP adjustments. its got a lot of attention and its a premier north american endurance championship equal to the WEC now. but then again NASCAR pulls in the crowds far more then indycar or TUSCC anyway.

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 15:18
i wouldnt fully agree that its just nascar or indycar are the most popular, TUSCC is coming on leaps and bounds since the two american series (ALMS and RSCS) were scrapped and wrapped up into one with BOP adjustments. its got a lot of attention and its a premier north american endurance championship equal to the WEC now. but then again NASCAR pulls in the crowds far more then indycar or TUSCC anyway.

And Americans like to see American branded cars being competitive. The corvettes are back in the game now and the vipers are growing fast.

xautos
08-07-2015, 15:27
And Americans like to see American branded cars being competitive. The corvettes are back in the game now and the vipers are growing fast.

foreign markets are growing with their interest as well. i cant imagine american markets shunning their sport because someone outside their territory or car outside their territory has won. around the world i see crowds and marshals congrating every one on the track, its no different in the usa, as long as there is good clean hard racing, its value for money, does it really matter with the home field thing? a part of the interest is to see if an american can reclaim the top step rather then seeing it happen all the time, its better teasing the interest and so the following grows.

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 15:31
foreign markets are growing with their interest as well. i cant imagine american markets shunning their sport because someone outside their territory or car outside their territory has won. around the world i see crowds and marshals congrating every one on the track, its no different in the usa, as long as there is good clean hard racing, its value for money, does it really matter with the home field thing? a part of the interest is to see if an american can reclaim the top step rather then seeing it happen all the time, its better teasing the interest and so the following grows.

I think you got me wrong here. I'm not saying anything radical, I'm saying American made products are in vogue and it translates in every aspect of American culture, including motorsports. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is. Even the teams that use American cars are hiring European and South American drivers.

xautos
08-07-2015, 15:38
I think you got me wrong here. I'm not saying anything radical, I'm saying American made products are in vogue and it translates in every aspect of American culture, including motorsports. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is. Even the teams that use American cars are hiring European and South American drivers.

columbian 1-2-3 in indycar last year. now that was awesome to see.

but i see your point. however i will point i am not one of those patriotic types, so i struggle to see it in the sense of national pride or anything similar. i cant really go into specifics on it because the forum rules may end up getting crossed.

PeoplesChampion
08-07-2015, 16:12
That's awesome man, I have a friend that owns several car dealerhips (BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Mini) and the whole familie is on motorsports, his son races class A6 rally and he is racing the Ginetta GT4 SuperCup in the US right now. The guy is rich and crazy for cars, what else to do? auhauha

PTG Ty1er Ward
08-07-2015, 16:12

I agree with you, but keep in mind the avid NASCAR fan (which I am not) is a "different breed" and loyal to a fault. I'm not sure if all of the fanbase backlash at Toyota joining the ranks of the "American made" Ford, Chevy & Dodge on the track reached your side of the pond. The area of the US where NASCAR is the most popular is also currently fighting over being able to display flag used during the American Civil War (150 years ago) so........yeah

PeoplesChampion
08-07-2015, 16:20
The overwhelming majority of Americans couldn't explain the offsides rule in the the worlds most popular sport, yet you're surprised he didn't know about Motorsport knowledge/popularity outside the U.S.? Who's really the sheltered one in this scenario?

Lol.. I don't think anyone can dispute the overwhelming ignorance in the United States.. We have access to so much information/resources over here and yet, it seems, very few people choose to utilize it.

xautos
08-07-2015, 16:27
Lol.. I don't think anyone can dispute the overwhelming ignorance in the United States.. We have access to so much information/resources over here and yet, it seems, very few people choose to utilize it.

im withholding comment off that type of thinking, people have their right to choose what they wish to do. but the op is open to seeing motorsport from around after realizing whats out there.
the motorsport community is like a country of its own, you could say that they take care of their own as well, not really interested in much outside that either. now you got electric cars coming, once considered a pipe dream, now formula E arrived on the track and they are apart of that motorsport country.

Umer Ahmad
08-07-2015, 17:20
The "ESPN test": ever see SportCenter talk about a TUDOR race? No. But they cover NASCAR (and some Indycar) pretty well!

www.usatoday.com/sports (Again, i see NASCAR on the top ribbon)

These are the popularity tests i think of for racing.

xautos
08-07-2015, 17:21
The "ESPN test": ever see SportCenter talk about a TUDOR race? No. But they cover NASCAR (and some Indycar) pretty well!

bit early to judge yet.

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 17:22

Fox Sports broadcast the races but if you look at their website, it's almos impossible to find a mention to the series. I can't understand that.

Umer Ahmad
08-07-2015, 17:23

Look a Kardashian! #smh

Umer Ahmad
08-07-2015, 17:27
bit early to judge yet.
^i'll be very happy when SportsCenter starts even mentioning a TUDOR race happend and flashing up the race results.

Fox Sports broadcast the races but if you look at their website, it's almos impossible to find a mention to the series. I can't understand that.
^nothing FOX-related ever made sense to me :/ (but better to leave politics alone here)

MrFlibble81
08-07-2015, 17:29
^i'll be very happy when SportsCenter starts even mentioning a TUDOR race happend and flashing up the race results.

^nothing FOX-related ever made sense to me :/ (but better to leave politics alone here)

FOX only broadcast the races for half the year though then it switches to NBC. FOX is better. But yes, better to leave politics alone.

sailordude9980
08-07-2015, 18:04
Wow, I had no idea :) After viewing the Tracker race, It seems that the American South and Russia might have something in common after all lol. Great insight, Thx! ;)

Spazzmavrik
08-07-2015, 18:07

http://www.motortrendondemand.com/motorsports/

It usually has a bunch of on demand videos, but is being funny today, but you might like that site too.

xautos
08-07-2015, 18:35
Wow, I had no idea :) After viewing the Tracker race, It seems that the American South and Russia might have something in common after all lol. Great insight, Thx! ;)

even the absurd flying tractor racing is taken seriously, look at how that one tractor almost ended up on its side in that pool of mud! not sure if i should of wrote that seriously or not :p

TheReaper GT
08-07-2015, 18:40
even the absurd flying tractor racing is taken seriously, look at how that one tractor almost ended up on its side in that pool of mud! not sure if i should of wrote that seriously or not :p

Here in Brazil they have those tractor drag racings when as far on the track the tractor goes, a big 30ton weight goes back to front.:

dodge33cymru
08-07-2015, 18:43
Great OP, but that second reply is horrible. For the record, I knew nothing about US racing until Mansell joined Indycar, and even then my main memories are Surfer's Paradise and the ovals, but it took another decade and the ALMS to make me realise what amazing road racing history therr is over there and what superb, unspoiled circuits there are.

There is still a great domestic scene, and aside from 'World' Challenge and Tudor, I recommend Continental Tire Sportscars Challenge, which is endurance races with GT4 class and a street tuner class.

The one thing the US does need to catch up on is the 'virtual safety car' concept, as it risks being left behind by innovations in this area if they cannot find a way to adopt it and stop 'managing' races to the same extent.

goddard
08-07-2015, 20:03
great man, i like it
http://wigunpics.science/8/g.png

xautos
08-07-2015, 21:23
Here in Brazil they have those tractor drag racings when as far on the track the tractor goes, a big 30ton weight goes back to front.:

hahaha, must be fun to watch the weight go faster then the tractor every once in a while :p

PeoplesChampion
08-07-2015, 22:10
Look a Kardashian! #smh

It's really sad, man. :(

PTG Ty1er Ward
09-07-2015, 00:24
Yeah. some of the most famous car manufacturers in the world like Ferrari and Audi, famous race tracks such as Monza and Spa....

To help you better understand, I surveyed 100 American's and here were to the top answers:

Audi- it's a luxury sedan

Ferrari- it's the red sports car in Magnum PI

Spa- it's where our wives go to get green mud applied to their faces and cucumber slices put over their eyes

Monza- it's a cheese. "I'll have a Turkey and Monza on Sourdough please"

sailordude9980
09-07-2015, 20:33
Not going to lie, would have said the same thing about Spa; with a straight face.