PDA

View Full Version : Total loss of FFB still randomly happens after 2.0, but here is a workaround...

Mascot
08-07-2015, 11:53
A lot of wheel users seem to randomly experience total loss of force feedback effects at the start of some races.
Powering the wheel down and restarting it seems to be the only way to restore FFB, but before patch 2.0 this would usually crash the PS4. The crash no longer happens after 2.0 but the game often won't recognise the wheel when it's powered back up, meaning a PS4 or game shutdown and complete restart is necessary if you want to keep using the wheel. This is annoying if you are hosting a lobby or in the middle of a race series.

However, I've found a workaround as an unexpected benefit from one of patch 2.0's best new features: multi-controller input.

If you lose FFB on your wheel, MAKE YOUR DS4 THE LAST-USED ACTIVE CONTROLLER before restarting your wheel. Since patch 2.0 the DS4 can now be used alongside the wheel, so use the DS4 to (for example) access the menus, THEN (without touching any controls on the wheel, inc pedals or shifter) simply power the wheel down and restart it. You should then find that the game recognises the wheel straight away and you can continue where you left off, even mid-race, without having to exit the game, and your FFB should be restored.

I've tried this several times since 2.0 and it's worked seamlessly. YMMV, but good luck. Hope this helps.

Mascot
14-07-2015, 05:40
Can anyone confirm if this loss of FFB workaround works with other wheels and/or on platforms other than PS4? If so it could be published on the other platform sub-forums.

Cheers.

medse87
14-07-2015, 10:45
I'll try this when the wheels decides to betray me again.

MLT24
15-07-2015, 05:47
Which wheel you use? I hv t300 and this has happened twice since patch.

Mascot
15-07-2015, 07:45
Which wheel you use? I hv t300 and this has happened twice since patch.

As per my sig, Fanatec GT2. I'd be interested to know if it works for other wheels. Give it a go next time it happens.

MLT24
16-07-2015, 18:00
Next time it happens to me I will for sure try this and post here.

Sasquatch
16-07-2015, 20:26
Interesting. Not sure if it's a counter - I think the loss of FFB would be actually the DS4 running at the sametime itself. I legitimately think this is the cause, as when I've felt the wheel has lost itself in an session with the DS4 alongside on. I turned off the DS4, and reentered whatever I was doing and the wheel would gain itself back. If it makes sense?

Although i'm curious, I did an hour session in GT6 today also with the T300RS+DS3 working, not once did the wheel lose FFB. Not once.

Luxman_
16-07-2015, 23:50
A lot of wheel users seem to randomly experience total loss of force feedback effects at the start of some races.
Powering the wheel down and restarting it seems to be the only way to restore FFB, but before patch 2.0 this would usually crash the PS4. The crash no longer happens after 2.0 but the game often won't recognise the wheel when it's powered back up, meaning a PS4 or game shutdown and complete restart is necessary if you want to keep using the wheel. This is annoying if you are hosting a lobby or in the middle of a race series.

However, I've found a workaround as an unexpected benefit from one of patch 2.0's best new features: multi-controller input.

If you lose FFB on your wheel, MAKE YOUR DS4 THE LAST-USED ACTIVE CONTROLLER before restarting your wheel. Since patch 2.0 the DS4 can now be used alongside the wheel, so use the DS4 to (for example) access the menus, THEN (without touching any controls on the wheel, inc pedals or shifter) simply power the wheel down and restart it. You should then find that the game recognises the wheel straight away and you can continue where you left off, even mid-race, without having to exit the game, and your FFB should be restored.

I've tried this several times since 2.0 and it's worked seamlessly. YMMV, but good luck. Hope this helps.

Loss of FFB continues since 1.4 patch, like the error in game if you power off/ power on continues too in 2.0.

See my video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjkm8SYkHvw ) for me is impossible meke the "workaround"

And this error shold be fixed, like said in 2.0 notes.

sgohsixthree
17-07-2015, 04:15
Racing 40 laps tonight at Watkins Glen. After a pitstop mid-race, I exit with no steering or FFB, but full brake and throttle. I try the above workaround as I recall reading this before as I've had no FFB, but steering still worked. The tip didn;t work.

Maybe stranger still, fed up with the T300, I fired up the DS4 to try and finish the race, and the DS4 had the same reaction. Throttle and brake, but no steering.

Does that point to a software bug for the input devices? Frustrating as hell as this is random and difficult to reproduce. Although if I spend an evening in the game, I'm sure to encounter the FFB only bug at leas once.

Mascot
17-07-2015, 10:46
Racing 40 laps tonight at Watkins Glen. After a pitstop mid-race, I exit with no steering or FFB, but full brake and throttle. I try the above workaround as I recall reading this before as I've had no FFB, but steering still worked. The tip didn;t work.

Maybe stranger still, fed up with the T300, I fired up the DS4 to try and finish the race, and the DS4 had the same reaction. Throttle and brake, but no steering.

Does that point to a software bug for the input devices? Frustrating as hell as this is random and difficult to reproduce. Although if I spend an evening in the game, I'm sure to encounter the FFB only bug at leas once.

Interesting. The workaround continues to work flawlessly for me with my GT2. Maybe it only works with Fanatec wheels..?

It seems crucial to have your DS4 working alongside your wheel before the wheel FFB loss, and to ensure that the DS4 is the active controller BEFORE powering down and restarting your wheel.

rocafella1978
17-07-2015, 11:00

just to add also, had loss of FFB with my TM T100, and could not get it to work, had not read your work around, but had that trouble. also another fellow gamer who has the stock T300RS (pedals and wheel) and had the same loss of FFB over time in the game. his would work, by just unplugging and plugging USB back in.

now I am on the G29, have not had any loss of FFB so far.

FMW
17-07-2015, 17:14
Interesting. The workaround continues to work flawlessly for me with my GT2. Maybe it only works with Fanatec wheels..?

It seems crucial to have your DS4 working alongside your wheel before the wheel FFB loss, and to ensure that the DS4 is the active controller BEFORE powering down and restarting your wheel.

To add to this topic. Someone mentioned earlier if having the DS4 on caused the FFB loss. Well, I can confirm that it doesn't appear to be the case for me. I have a Fanatec CSW V2. I have always turned off the Dual Shock 4 controller once I launched Project Cars. (To save battery power) I also always power on my CSWV2 prior to launching the game. Anyway, with the DS4 off, I have lost FFB on random track loads. I have never lost FFB mid game. It's always been at the start of a race. :hurt:

I'm definitely going to try this work around if it happens again tonight. Seems logical to have the DS4 on at all times. I'll confirm if it works with the CSWv2 soon.

fbetes
17-07-2015, 18:26
I have the same problem than you!!! (I thought I was the only one)

I loose the FFB randomly (Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S -last firmware installed-, patch 2.0 installed) when I start a session (FP, Q or race). Previously to the 2.0 patch, the only way to recover the FFB was leave the race and restart it... If I unplugged the wheel and plugged again, a fatal crash error sent me to the main PS4 menu.

However, with the 2.0 patch installed, Im able to turn off and turn on my wheel to recover the FFB. It's the only workaround I've found.

I would like to know if SMS is aware of this issue. I always turn off my DS4 when the game is released (to keep the batteries), i don't know if this can cause the issue....

I've to say I had the same problem with Shift 2 (XBOX 360), and It was very annoying to turn of/on the wheel when the FFB was missed...

Sorry for my english

VBR
17-07-2015, 19:19
Restarting my GT2 wheel crashes the game even after patch 2.0. However, I only experienced this loss off FFB once, tonight. I hardly play the game though cos of all the issues with it. Next time I'll try what the OP suggests & see if that helps.

JohnSchoonsBeard
18-07-2015, 18:13
It happened to me a couple of times. Unfortunately I was online once so the race was affected. T300RS I was able to restart it after gaining control with the DS4. Once restarting the wheel I was able to press the ps button and the wheel took over again.

wyldanimal
20-07-2015, 18:07
with my T300 I have two different Issues..

Issue one, ( I think related to using a Powered Hub )
Note:
My Wheel is Plugged directly in to Port 1 on the PS4, only my Keyboard, TH8A, audio Headset, are plugged into the powered HUB.

If I use a Powered USB Hub ( i've tried both usb 2.0 or 3.0 ), my wheel will disconnect at around 8 minutes of use, almost like clock work.
watch from 2:10 on this video
https://youtu.be/d9zKL6n2rYA?t=2m10s

after I unplug the USB cable and Plug it back in, I can press the PS button and resume driving..
but after another 8 minutes, and it will Disconnect again..

I'm pretty Sure this is a Powered HUB / PS4 issue, not pCars related.

If I use a Non-Powered usb 2.0 hub. I never get the Disconnect.
and again, My Wheel is NOT plugged into the HUB, only the other peripherals use the HUB.

I mention this here, because others might have a similar issue.. and think it pCars related.

My second Issue is pCars related.
Many times, especially after a collision, even a minor one.
the FFB of the Wheel is Lost.. I can Still Drive and Steer ( also Steering sensitivity is Increased ) and there is NO FFB at all.
Unplugging the USB, doesn't resolve this. The wheel comes back on, but still no FFB at all.

The Only way I found to recover from this is to restart the Game..

NOTE:
( it looks like Patch 2.5 address this 2nd Issue.)
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35178-Project-CARS-PC-only-Patch-2-5-Release-notes
* Fixed an issue with sudden loss of FFB after a crash.

VBR
23-07-2015, 13:57
Had a ton of wheel related issues yesterday, but when I finally got it all set up & the FFB loss bug happened, I tried this work around & it worked.

Thanks for sharing!

:)

Synner40
23-07-2015, 14:20
Can anyone confirm if this loss of FFB workaround works with other wheels and/or on platforms other than PS4? If so it could be published on the other platform sub-forums.

Cheers.
I had it happen to me the other day. finished the race and it came back durning the next one. PS4 and G29

Synner40
23-07-2015, 14:21
with my T300 I have two different Issues..

Issue one, ( I think related to using a Powered Hub )
Note:
My Wheel is Plugged directly in to Port 1 on the PS4, only my Keyboard, TH8A, audio Headset, are plugged into the powered HUB.

If I use a Powered USB Hub ( i've tried both usb 2.0 or 3.0 ), my wheel will disconnect at around 8 minutes of use, almost like clock work.
watch from 2:10 on this video
https://youtu.be/d9zKL6n2rYA?t=2m10s

after I unplug the USB cable and Plug it back in, I can press the PS button and resume driving..
but after another 8 minutes, and it will Disconnect again..

I'm pretty Sure this is a Powered HUB / PS4 issue, not pCars related.

If I use a Non-Powered usb 2.0 hub. I never get the Disconnect.
and again, My Wheel is NOT plugged into the HUB, only the other peripherals use the HUB.

I mention this here, because others might have a similar issue.. and think it pCars related.

My second Issue is pCars related.
Many times, especially after a collision, even a minor one.
the FFB of the Wheel is Lost.. I can Still Drive and Steer ( also Steering sensitivity is Increased ) and there is NO FFB at all.
Unplugging the USB, doesn't resolve this. The wheel comes back on, but still no FFB at all.

The Only way I found to recover from this is to restart the Game..

NOTE:
( it looks like Patch 2.5 address this 2nd Issue.)
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35178-Project-CARS-PC-only-Patch-2-5-Release-notes
sorry for the double post but with the crash and loss of FFB did your tires go ice cold?
why I asked it I have posted a couple of times about the tires going cold after a wreck glitch,and the first time I lost FFB with my G29 my tires got cold. I'm wondering if there is a connection.

wyldanimal
24-07-2015, 04:00
sorry for the double post but with the crash and loss of FFB did your tires go ice cold?
why I asked it I have posted a couple of times about the tires going cold after a wreck glitch,and the first time I lost FFB with my G29 my tires got cold. I'm wondering if there is a connection.

Yes, a Few times, when I experience the loss of FFB related to a bump or Crash. The Fuel is topped off, New Cold Tires, and NO FFB..
I believe Patch 2.5 address this Loss of FFB due to a Crash..

But some other times, the loss of FFB, does not also have Cold Tires or Fuel..

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...-Release-notes

Fong74
24-07-2015, 05:56
To add to this topic. Someone mentioned earlier if having the DS4 on caused the FFB loss. Well, I can confirm that it doesn't appear to be the case for me. I have a Fanatec CSW V2. I have always turned off the Dual Shock 4 controller once I launched Project Cars. (To save battery power) I also always power on my CSWV2 prior to launching the game. Anyway, with the DS4 off, I have lost FFB on random track loads. I have never lost FFB mid game. It's always been at the start of a race. :hurt:

I'm definitely going to try this work around if it happens again tonight. Seems logical to have the DS4 on at all times. I'll confirm if it works with the CSWv2 soon.

I have the DS4 always connected to the power cable while driving. This is due to having the chat-headset connected to it and not wanting the DS4 to enter power saving mode or even turning itself off due to low battery power.

My experience with the CSW v2 is that FFB disappears quite infrequently. If it happens, I exit back to the pits and power the wheel off and on again. I dont do anything else. I dont use the controller while doing this. I never had a case after patch v2.0 that FFB could not be restored by restarting the wheel like that.

p.s.:
I turn the CSW v2 on while in the PS4 menue and before launching the game. I had some random FFB issues, more often when I turned the wheel on in the pCars welcome screen.

Dean2
24-07-2015, 11:51
Ps4
Thrustmaster 300rs standard pedals
Mode career
Race WEC 24 hr lemans
Race length 100%
Ai 90%
Car : Audi lmp1
After 1 hour and 3 minutes hit invisible wall total loss of FFb

fbetes
24-07-2015, 18:30
Is there any workaround to avoid the loss of FFB when starting a session? I've tried everything, I connect the DS4 to th PS4 (always on), I've turned off the DS4, however sometimes when I start a session (race or qualifying or free practice) I experience a total loss of FFB. I haven't found any workaround... It's totally randomly!!!

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S (last firmware)
Patch 2.0 Project Cars installed

IronMask75
25-07-2015, 01:04

Very closely related. I was in a 12 lap race on the Bugatti Circuit when I think I blew a rear left tire and went off track (no contact with anything). All 4 tires went instantly blue and I lost all FFB. I pitted for fuel and tires but my FFB never came back. Supremely irritating.

Eadie
25-07-2015, 22:25
My issue is loss of ffb after a collision. It happens with a static object & other vehicles. My mate has a T500 & I have a T300, both of us have had the same problems both pre & post patch 2.0.
I thought I'd throw it in there, just in case the devs are reading :)

IronMask75
26-07-2015, 01:26
Happened to me last night in Qualifying for a Renault Clio race at Donnington. Approaching a turn down the back of the circuit, I got to the middle of the corner and then BANG! It was like I hit an invisible concrete bollard. The car stopped dead in the middle of the track while the rear end went straight up into the air, and then all my tires went instantly blue and I lost all FFB. I also had massive visual front end damage. There was nobody near me on the track.

Spitfire77
28-07-2015, 16:37
Still getting loss of FFB with the T300 - it is annoying - the only way to get it back for me is to exit the game and restart my ps4. It is gone as soon as the car leaves the pit box. No resistance. - I am not talking about FFB fade.

The wheel is working fine, it has centering resistance in the pCARS menus and if I start up driveclub the FFB works fine. So the issue seems to be with pCARS.

I will have to give the DS controller work around a try.. cant hurt but really for something as important as FFB I really don't want to be doing a work around.

Eadie
28-07-2015, 19:50
After the session I played & lost the ffb, I turned off my ps4 as normal. When I started it up to play today, the wheel was going crazy & wouldn't self calibrate. I figured a way to control the wheel so it would center & allow me to use it. I went in to test it & there's hardly any force feedback now. The rumble strips, kerbs etc feel ok but there is hardly any resistance & I can drive it with one finger. I've tried updating the drivers & booting it but it's still the same. I've googled the crazy self calibration issue & it looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIe7JNaRM8k
I'm hoping I can get a new wheel under warranty from Alternate, where I bought it but I'm tempted to go for a T500 as this issue & others do seem widespread with the T300

Luxman_
19-08-2015, 00:16
Still have fbb loss in update 3.0

Hardware:
Fanatec csw v2

I have 3 or 4 times per day of ffb loss.

fbetes
27-08-2015, 20:33
Still have fbb loss in update 3.0

Hardware:
Fanatec csw v2

I have 3 or 4 times per day of ffb loss.
I agree

The only way to recover the FFB is unplugged/plugged the wheel...

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S (last firmware installed). Patch 3.0 installed

Spitfire77
28-08-2015, 20:38
Still get the complete FFB loss at the beginning of a session randomly after patch 3.0. - It does not happen a lot .. but often enough to be annoying.

T300rs

I don't just unplug the wheel and plug it back in with the game running (not saying that wont work) I quit out of the game then unplug my wheel and plug it back in. Sometimes I even restart my ps4 for good measure.

madmax2069
28-08-2015, 22:42
Still get the complete FFB loss at the beginning of a session randomly after patch 3.0. - It does not happen a lot .. but often enough to be annoying.

T300rs

I don't just unplug the wheel and plug it back in with the game running (not saying that wont work) I quit out of the game then unplug my wheel and plug it back in. Sometimes I even restart my ps4 for good measure.

Unplugging the wheel and plugging it back in works the fastest, you dont have to exit the race, or reboot.

This exact thing happens to my friend that has the T300 when im racing with him online, he just unplugs it and plugs it back in and it starts working again.

gruzzlebeard
29-08-2015, 07:32
Even after Patch 3.0 I've a total loss of FFB from time to time. But more often I'll get only a reduced FFB on the wheel. This happens actually every day when I'm playing once in minimum. Right after the pach I deleted my save game and setup a new profile. Before Patch 3 I deleted all save games and I deleted the game and reinstalled it. I also defragmented PS4 (it took just 3 minutes since I've just PCars locally on the fix disk).