PDA

View Full Version : Rain causes Cars to lose all traction and must limp back to pits under 50mph

dresified
11-07-2015, 06:52
Race: Online and offline
Track: Bathurst and other tracks affected
Car: Mclaren GT3 other cars affected as well
Weather: clear that turns to heavy rain after 3 laps

Since the 2.0 patch cars have been losing all traction when it rains. My wheel goes loose brakes lose function and eventually slide or spin to a stop. At which point it is difficult to get moving again. If you make any wheel movements or go above 50mph the car will just spin out or get stuck in the grass.

I would expect some much slower lap times and a slippery track but this is completely undriveable. It is apparent to me that not everyone was seeing the same issue as half of the field ended up in the grass with me while some others were cruising around the track just fine.

Honestly what it feels like is having no tires at all and just trying to drive on the rims.

UPDATE:
I think the behavior may be correct after watching videos of cars in the wet on slicks. There still seem to be bugs here though.
1. In some career races they start you on slicks when they should probably be starting you on wet tires
2. If the AI is on slicks in the wet they are still really really fast so you will quickly drop from first to last while you limp to the pits

I did not have time to make a good video but there are glimpses of what the AI can do versus traction for mere humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb3...ature=youtu.be

NemethR
11-07-2015, 08:59

Since the 2.0 patch cars have been losing all traction when it rains. My wheel goes loose brakes lose function and eventually slide or spin to a stop. At which point it is difficult to get moving again. If you make any wheel movements or go above 50mph the car will just spin out or get stuck in the grass.

I would expect some much slower lap times and a slippery track but this is completely undriveable. It is apparent to me that not everyone was seeing the same issue as half of the field ended up in the grass with me while some others were cruising around the track just fine.

Honestly what it feels like is having no tires at all and just trying to drive on the rims.

Are you sure, that you did not just go over the limit.
Just remember, SLICK tyres have a completly smoot surface, and aquaplan very quicky, and they will NOT have any traction in standing water, or on the wet grass.
They have immense traction in dry, but they are like driving on ice, in the rain, once water fills the track.

Could you provide a video for the devs? That would be really helpful, OR if you could re-create the session again, and someone would do a video on this.

NOTE: I am not saying, that it is your driving, that is fault, I just pointed out some other possibilities, as I find that these cars with slicks behave realistic in the rain.

Siberian Tiger
11-07-2015, 09:06
Clear to Heavy Rain in 3 Laps does say it all ;)

It's simply to much water on the Track that you can drive with slicks!

creepyd
11-07-2015, 09:44
I think in most cars 50mph is about the cut off point below which you shouldn't aquaplane regardless of tyre (due to the weight of the car).
I'm talking real life there, but it seems that's in game too.

mermoid
11-07-2015, 09:59
Are you on wet tyres...?

miagi
11-07-2015, 10:09
This accords with what I recently saw testing our formula student slicks. I wasn't even heavy rain, by far and the car was undriveable (while being very driveable with wet tires). And our slicks is an extremly soft compound with lots of hysteresis.

2 years ago in le mans when the Aston stayed out in rain, he couldn't even follow the pace of the safty car.

amdsquad
11-07-2015, 16:00
I am experiencing the same bug even when I put wet tyre on.

xautos
11-07-2015, 16:15

yesterday was in a 4 lap sprint on the monza short, the 1st lap went fine, the 2nd lap was really bad because i had slicks on and forgot to go back to auto weather. lost a lap as i went to change tyres. as for rain races, i have had no problem racing in wet conditions on the game, you have to be less aggressive with the car and react to what happens, usually in the mclaren 12c there is a bit of oversteer coming out, if not immediately corrected with controlled acceleration the chances are it will come right around or you over correct and you end up hit the opposite wall. counter steering and bravery in the corners are a must, but aggression does not serve you in wet conditions.

Doug914
11-07-2015, 17:08
Driving much more than 1 lap in the rain on slicks with accelerated weather (rain coming quickly) is going to be near death on slicks. About 3 laps will work with real weather progression.

dresified
11-07-2015, 19:12
I think the behavior may be correct after watching videos of cars in the wet on slicks. There still seem to be bugs here though.
1. In some career races they start you on slicks when they should probably be starting you on wet tires
2. If the AI is on slicks in the wet they are still really really fast so you will quickly drop from first to last while you limp to the pits

I did not have time to make a good video but there are glimpses of what the AI can do versus traction for mere humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb3o64TJl0&feature=youtu.be

F1_Racer68
11-07-2015, 22:08
Not only do you have to adjust your driving STYLE, but also your driving LINE in the wet. Don't take the normal line in the corners as you will have ZERO grip. All that rubber on the racing line helps in the dry, but turns to oil covered ice in the wet.

This is something not many people realize, especially if Project CARS is their first true "sim" experience.

Beans
11-07-2015, 23:40
I tested this out. I find it to be pretty accurate. I guessed the best time to head for the pits with increasing clouds and just start to rain. Guess wrong and you will be making one super slow lap to pit. At the start I choose soft slick, when I pit I edit the strategy and make sure to choose ALL four extreme wet or wet tires and YES to change tires. So obviously you still have to drive slower, but I can be competitive with the AI. I do find they are quite good in the wet though.

hardlock
28-08-2017, 00:25
I really thought that this issue would be fixed by now? Going from a 2015 version to current (11.2.00) it helps that the weather now has a forecast so one can know to put on rain tires in advance when predicted but even then, I found that without warning my car can become totally undriveable.

AI cars don't miss a beat and ANY throttle response throws my car out of control from the 1st instance on.

If I don't turn and barely accelerate, I can coast in control okay but that's not acceptable. Not sure if car is programmed to lose it once you spin or hit a wall or other off-track error but once you do, you're done. Still testing this issue but I have hundreds of hours on the original non-updated version and now quite a few hours on the latest one. I had heard that the "land mines" bug was fixed but this issue sure seems similar.

I love this sim with a passion and hope that the developers won't abandon it just because #2 is coming out.

If anyone else wants to test, I found it in the M1 historic challenge at Zolder round 2/4.

hkraft300
28-08-2017, 00:47
Have you driven slick tyres in the rain?
I have: go-kart on a wet outdoor track. Slick tyres. Traction = oil on a new frying pan. So a car would be that much worse.
Even worn road tyres in heavy rain is a wayward experience.
How much traction do you expect to have on a wet track in a powerful race car on slicks trying to drive fast?
Box at the first sign of rain, or start the race on inter/wet tyres if the rain begins early in the race.

Edit: development of PC1 is over as far as I'm aware. There hasn't been a patch for a year+ and I'm not expecting another.
Pc2 in a few weeks.

hardlock
28-08-2017, 01:06
Thanks for the reply. Guess you missed that I started the race with wet tires since the forecast was for rain and from experience knew the default if not already raining would be soft tires.

The only thing realistic I can figure is after 2 laps on dry track with rain tires they wore out about the time it started raining? If so, tire color didn't change (wear setting off).

Guess I'll never win a 2 or 3 lap race this way if I have to pit and no one else does?

hardlock
28-08-2017, 02:02
Update - tested race a couple times and replicated issue. Same thing, undriveable after mid 3rd lap with rain tires installed at start of race. Feels like on slicks.

Then again tried starting with wet tires. Rain starts mid lap 2 so pitted and changed tires to wet again. 3rd lap felt as normally driven with wet tires and rain. No problems (except last in race of course).

Best I can figure, program doesn't accept me changing to rain tires at start of race? Bummer...

hkraft300
28-08-2017, 02:16
Sorry I misread the part.
Light rain conditions can overheat the rain tyres that'll make them slide.
Heavy rain, like storm/thunderstorm conditions, also make the track super slippery, because there's too much water on the track. Also the tyres start to cool off further losing grip.
You just have to slow your pace right down.
Soft spring rates and low acceleration lock will help.
Also manual gears, where you don't shift gears mid-corner.
The slight bumps and crests at zolder also make it difficult to keep traction.

http://youtu.be/OrAsTqbJ3bo

Ryzza5
28-08-2017, 05:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx4Vu-y1wQ4

Not sure how fast they were going but on slicks it was extremely difficult for many pro drivers to get around.