PDA

View Full Version : Real Racing Talk

MillsLayne
12-07-2015, 22:50
Yo! I've seen a few threads dedicated to any one subject within motorsports, but I figured we should have a thread to just talk about ALL real life racing; NASCAR, Indycar, F1, V8 Supercars, WEC, go karts, whatever. And maybe some people here that race in real life, let's hear about it!

FA RACING 01
13-07-2015, 08:07
Not a pro-racer in real life, but did do Kart racing a few years back. It became very time consuming - practice, qualify sessions, pit testing, national events etc, so had to stop due to work commitments. Very great experience though.

For two years now I also took part in corporate race days at our Kayalami track in Johannesburg with a Ferrari 458 Italia which belongs to a good friend of mine. These days always are an awesome experience. Finished 2nd on the day and no car damage - luckily no pro-drivers were allowed, lol. Took my Yamaha R6 on the track the same day for some "informal" fun on track and that was just as great. Gave me so much more respect for the MotoGP and WSBK guys.

m355y
13-07-2015, 08:46
I did karting then tried Formula Vauxhall Junior very, very briefly circa late 90s. It was far too expensive to carry on with. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected as a racing mad kid because as opposed to the kids who played football, it wasn't just a case of picking up a ball and practising, you had a few hours every few weeks and all the while we're just pumping in more and more money (or my parents were), it was a strange thing to be involved with and I think you needed a certain type of personality to deal with it at that age - I was a shy, awkward kid and part of me just wanted to be like everyone else playing football after a while. Sometimes I want to go back and kick my 15 year old self for not having the steel to stick with it but ultimately it was about money. Rich kids raced, normal kids dreamt of playing for Sunderland.

My best result in cars was one second position at Croft. That one sort of came out of nowhere, aside from that I was pretty shit.

MillsLayne
13-07-2015, 22:46
The only real racing experience I have is go karts at one of the arrive and drive style weekends in L.A. at the Fontana track (actually just outside the track on the facility) where you have the full format of practice, qualifying, two heat races, D, C, B & A Mains. And even though we're not involved with the mechanical aspect of the go karts (since they aren't ours), the top guys that do that every month are damn good. There were even a few organized teams there with their drivers (my friend was on one, so technically I was a guest of theirs). I had a blast, too. Met a lot of cool people, even managed to win the D main and got a trophy for it that I proudly display at home. haha

KGRacing
17-07-2015, 18:34
I race btcc?

holdin09
17-07-2015, 20:27
I did karting then tried Formula Vauxhall Junior very, very briefly circa late 90s. It was far too expensive to carry on with. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd expected as a racing mad kid because as opposed to the kids who played football, it wasn't just a case of picking up a ball and practising, you had a few hours every few weeks and all the while we're just pumping in more and more money (or my parents were), it was a strange thing to be involved with and I think you needed a certain type of personality to deal with it at that age - I was a shy, awkward kid and part of me just wanted to be like everyone else playing football after a while. Sometimes I want to go back and kick my 15 year old self for not having the steel to stick with it but ultimately it was about money. Rich kids raced, normal kids dreamt of playing for Sunderland.

My best result in cars was one second position at Croft. That one sort of came out of nowhere, aside from that I was pretty shit.

Did you do your karting at warden law track? I use to go and watch there

holdin09
17-07-2015, 20:29
Have done some moto x when was younger 125cc. Had many wins but was only at local tracks nothing special.

blacknred81
18-07-2015, 01:32
Well, I really hate to break this news, but F1 Driver Jules Bianchi has passed away from his injuries from his Suzuka Accident....
https://www.facebook.com/JBianchi.OfficialFanPage/posts/1106787122683449?fref=nf

Posted in Original French and translated English......

A Statement from the Bianchi Family
Nice, France
Saturday 18 July 2015
02.45hrs France │ 01.45hrs UK
C’est avec une profonde tristesse que les parents de Jules Bianchi, Philippe et Christine, son frère Tom et sa
soeur Mélanie, tiennent à annoncer le décès de Jules survenu hier soir au Centre Hospitalier Universitaire
de Nice, en France, où il avait été admis à la suite de son accident sur le circuit de Suzuka, lors du Grand
Prix du Japon le 5 octobre 2014.
« Jules s’est battu jusqu’au bout, comme il l’a toujours fait, mais hier, sa bataille a pris fin », a déclaré la
famille Bianchi. « Nous ressentons, dit-elle, une peine immense et indescriptible. Nous voulons remercier
le personnel médical du CHU de Nice, qui l’a soigné avec amour et dévouement.
« Nous voulons également remercier le personnel du Centre Médical Général de Mie au Japon qui a pris
soin de Jules immédiatement après son accident, tout autant que tous les autres médecins qui se sont
impliqués dans le combat qu’il a mené au cours des mois passés.
« De même, nous souhaitons remercier les collègues de Jules, ses amis, ses supporters et tous ceux qui lui
ont prouvé leur affection au cours de cette période. Ils nous ont donné la force nécessaire pour résister
dans ces moments terribles. Les écouter, lire leurs très nombreux messages nous ont montré comment
Jules avait suscité une affection si profonde auprès de tant de personnes de par le monde.
«Nous vous demandons de respecter notre intimité durant ces heures très difficiles, au cours desquelles
nous essayons d’affronter la perte de Jules.

A Statement from the Bianchi Family

Nice, France
Saturday 18 July 2015
02.45hrs France │ 01.45hrs UK

It is with deep sorrow that the parents of Jules Bianchi, Philippe and Christine, his brother Tom and his
Sister Mélanie, would like to announce the death of Jules died yesterday evening at the centre hospitalier universitaire
Nice, in France, where he had been admitted to the result of his accident on the circuit of suzuka, during the great
Price of Japan on 5 October 2014.

"Jules fought until the end, as it has always done, but yesterday, his battle has ended", Said
Family Bianchi. " we feel, she said, a penalty immense and indescribable. We want to thank
The medical staff of the chu nice, who has cared for with love and dedication.

" we also want to thank the staff of the general medical centre of mie in Japan who took
Care of Jules immediately after his accident, as well as all the other doctors who have
Involved in the fight that he has conducted over the past month.

" Similarly, we wish to thank the members of Jules, his friends, his supporters and all those who him
Have proved their affection during this period. They gave us the force necessary to resist
In these moments terrible. Listen, read their very many messages have shown us how
Jules had raised an affection so deep with so many people around the world.

" we ask you to respect our privacy during these very difficult hours, during which
We are trying to cope with the loss of Jules.

:(

KGRacing
18-07-2015, 01:54
Never good when another driver is injured let alone loses a life. Rip.

MillsLayne
18-07-2015, 03:09
So sad to see this. RIP Jules...

Kishan945
18-07-2015, 07:20
Well then, let me be the first to greet all members of projectcarsgame. Welcome to the forums.

blacknred81
20-07-2015, 15:57
First Jules Bianchi, now this.....

RIP Bernat Martinez and Daniel Rivas Fernandez

http://www.motoamerica.com/motoamerica-mourns-racing-tragedy?src=SOC&dom=fb

A chain-reaction, multi-bike incident on the first lap of today's second MotoAmerica Superbike/Superstock 1000 race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca has resulted in the deaths of two competitors.

Bernat Martinez, of Alberic, Valencia, Spain, was transported from the raceway by ambulance to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula (CHOMP) in Monterey, where he succumbed to his injuries. He was 35.

Daniel Rivas Fernandez, of Moana Galicia, Spain, was transported by REACH Medical Air Services to Natividad Medical Center in Salinas, where he also succumbed to injuries. He was 27.

"I really don't have any words to describe what we all feel," said MotoAmerica president Wayne Rainey. "First and foremost, is the loss to the families and loved ones. Our sincere condolences goes out to each and every one of them as well as the MotoAmerica family. They are in our thoughts and prayers."
"We are deeply saddened to learn the news of the passing of Bernat Martinez and Daniel Rivas," said Gill Campbell, CEO and general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. "Our prayers and hearts go out to their families and teams."

Schnizz58
20-07-2015, 17:30
Pour out one for the homies.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me0cpkrJsw1qzewdco1_500.gif

xautos
20-07-2015, 19:31
First Jules Bianchi, now this.....

RIP Bernat Martinez and Daniel Rivas Fernandez

http://www.motoamerica.com/motoamerica-mourns-racing-tragedy?src=SOC&dom=fb

theres a clip of it on youtube. thats the problem with bike races, when a rider falls extra care must be taken, but that looked horrible to watch. When i saw the Simoncelli crash a few years back i knew at that moment he had died during the live race before sky snached it off the bbc in malaysia, it was horrible to watch and then again with Shoya Tomizawa and Scott Redding running over him on the track after he had fallen off his bike at Misano.

yes accidents and deaths happen in motorsports, but there must be extra care taken to give competitors respect if you are racing them or avoiding an accident.

MrFlibble81
20-07-2015, 20:27
The only real life racing I do is racing home from work!

I'm tired today and I'm ready to go home. 530 can't get here soon enough!!

Trouble is though when I drive home I don't like the handling physics and the graphics suck....

MillsLayne
21-07-2015, 03:18
The only real life racing I do is racing home from work!

I'm tired today and I'm ready to go home. 530 can't get here soon enough!!

Trouble is though when I drive home I don't like the handling physics and the graphics suck....

Haha...yeah, my commute home is a freeway simulator that lasts an hour long. The AI is way too slow, sometimes, too, blocking all the lanes and going under the speed limit. It's a great test of patience, really.

MillsLayne
27-07-2015, 03:25
Kyle Busch has won three straight races and four in the past five races. Wow. And finally...FINALLY, he won one of the big races in NASCAR's schedule. The guy has gone Beast Mode.

m355y
27-07-2015, 13:54
theres a clip of it on youtube. thats the problem with bike races, when a rider falls extra care must be taken, but that looked horrible to watch. When i saw the Simoncelli crash a few years back i knew at that moment he had died during the live race before sky snached it off the bbc in malaysia, it was horrible to watch and then again with Shoya Tomizawa and Scott Redding running over him on the track after he had fallen off his bike at Misano.

yes accidents and deaths happen in motorsports, but there must be extra care taken to give competitors respect if you are racing them or avoiding an accident.

There's so little time to react though, it's virtually impossible in the heat of the moment. I remember Frank Biela getting a hard time years ago when Kieth O'Dor spun in front of him and Biela ploughed into the side of his car, killing him in a touring car race. But there was nothing he could do and you could see him desperately trying to slam on the brakes. Redding could do nothing to avoid Tomizawa, Rossi and Edwards couldn't avoid Simoncelli. Especially in bike racing its terrifying. One second you're racing minding your own business, then there's someone lying on the track in your path, you're doing 160mph and you have half a second to react. Tragic, but no blame attached.

I had a road accident a few years ago where I had to swerve into the central reservation to avoid ploughing into the drivers side of another car. I f*cking dread to think how much worse that could have been. Times tha by ten if you're in the middle of a motor race.