PDA

View Full Version : [Fixed] Opponent Names are Useless! (too hard to read)

Stocky
13-07-2015, 17:28
Can we please make the opponent names more useful. They are pretty much useless as it is now.

I play on TeamSpeak with many drivers. Rip|CheifJedi, OBigO, M@rcio, and many others.

I can't tell you how many times, some idiot parks his car in the middle of a turn during a race or qualify, and we all on teamspeak ask who that driver is, so we can boot them.

It's always the same answer. I can't read it, and will try again next lap when I drive by. I think once, someone was able to read who it was, and we kicked them. Once, out of a dozen races per night.

Why even have opponent names, if you can only read them if you're both standing still. Even coming out of the pits, if you're not at that perfect distance behind that driver, forget trying to read it, not to mention, who's in front of them.

That other new release, that no one is playing because it's a mess, at least did the names right. Take a look at how they did theirs.

Racing online isn't just about being fast. It's also about being aware of you're surroundings, who's around you, and who to avoid, etc.

Sankyo
13-07-2015, 17:29
Clarified title.

Stocky
13-07-2015, 17:33
Thanks, but it's not just the font only. It's also the background behind the font, the distance that it's shown, and also only a single name can be shown at a time.

Sankyo
13-07-2015, 17:35
OK modified it, should cover the gist of it :)

Stocky
13-07-2015, 17:36
Perfect :-)

madmax2069
13-07-2015, 19:56
Indeed, opponents names are hard to read especially when its against a light background (sky, wall, or what have you), much like how the map is hard to read because there is no dark background to it.

The opponents names seems to scale down way too far to be legible (it gets so small it looks like a jumbled blocky mess, there either needs to be a limit on how small they scale down, or keep them the same size), plus being that it has no darker background means if its over something brite they blend into it making them impossible to read.

Stocky
13-07-2015, 20:16
Good point on the background for the map as well. That definitely needs some contrast too.

F1_Racer68
14-07-2015, 13:29
Agreed on the names display issue. I like that it shows the Ping rate of the player under it (very useful feature) but the current display is not readable unless you are drafting the car for several meters.

A different (darker?) colour font and visible earlier should help.

diesel97
14-07-2015, 14:02
Agreed on the names display issue. I like that it shows the Ping rate of the player under it (very useful feature) but the current display is not readable unless you are drafting the car for several meters.

A different (darker?) colour font and visible earlier should help.

I didn't even know there was a ping rate until i watched a replay , so are right they are hard to read at 150mph

lifeofbrian
14-07-2015, 15:21
Add this to the many other multiplayer problems that will hopefully be fixed very soon.

stangnutlx
14-07-2015, 20:35
no restart race function, penalty for driving into the grass etc etc

madmax2069
14-07-2015, 21:42
no restart race function, penalty for driving into the grass etc etc

Are you sure you posted in the right thread ?

MrFlibble81
14-07-2015, 21:48
Are you sure you posted in the right thread ?

He was in another thread complaining the PCARS needed a restart race button -- It doesn't.

stangnutlx
14-07-2015, 22:00
He was in another thread complaining the PCARS needed a restart race button -- It doesn't.

you're useless opinion has been heard!

MrFlibble81
15-07-2015, 01:05

Bealdor
15-07-2015, 09:25

Cut the hostile attitude please. This has no place here.

NemethR
15-07-2015, 09:32
Same here.
It needs an adjustement for sure. :)

Stocky
16-07-2015, 16:39
Forget any major fix or overhaul.
How about a simple fix to stop it from scaling with distance. Easily done.
Maybe also the ability to show more than 1 name at a time as well. Also easily done. Or maybe this is already implemented. I can't even get a glimpse of a single name, yet know if it's even possible to see two names, lol.

Essobie
20-07-2015, 02:44
I'll pile on:

Names shouldn't scale in HUD and should have quite a bit bigger size (perhaps even customizable as an option slider?).
Names should have a drop shadow or billboard to ensure visibility against any other background regardless of weather/time/etc..
Flag notices should be considered a customizable HUD element so that folks spanning three monitors can put it on their center display instead of aaaaaall the way to the left out of view.
HUD elements in general should be fixed for triple monitor aspect ratio resolutions... these things are all kinds of messed up.
Bonus: A new HUD element should replicate other racing sims' "relative distance" list to help show not just who is before you and after you in rank, but also before you and after you on the track (including lapped traffic relationships).

Please throw some time into some of these polish issues.

goL ecaR v yM
20-07-2015, 19:53
--- this issue makes it really hard in trying to kick wreckers on multiplayer...........

few races yesterday people whats to kick wreckers but i could not kick because names could not be verified. i stopped my car to see if i could find out who but there were several yet drivers effected could not tell me the names without guessing.

Color other then white name plates would be a great place to start.

Stocky
12-08-2015, 15:48
Bump

One of the biggest complaints I hear in TeamSpeak along with host kick options.
It comes up every single night, and almost every single race.
I hope this is finally fixed in 3.0, and not ignored!!!!

Tired of hearing people asking who was that, who let me by, who's in front of you, who's that catching up to you, who was that guy that we should kick etc.

We had one guy in TeamSpeak last night, that didn't like the track we were at, and he spent the whole race trying to get the name of the car that was wrecking everyone. We never got a name.

Ralph B
14-08-2015, 07:30
Absolutely agree. The drivernames are almost useless. So many times wanted to know, whom I was racing. Sometimes because I would like to say thanks to a clean racer, somtimes want to know the names of people, who misbehave completely. Most time can only guess with the help of the results after a race ... as far the guy hasn't left the server already.
Bigger and better contrast to the background would be helpful a lot. Best solution would be to make it scaleable with a slider (but even a ini. file would be better than none).

miagi
14-08-2015, 07:53
Recently had a race on Donnington Park GP, the weather was Overcast I think. I could not read a single name and not even the position number in ~70-80% of the track. The grey clouded sky had the same color as the numbers and letters of the name/position-tag.

A question that came to my mind recently, what are the plans with the "avatar" next to position and name. It's still unused. Having the same empty avatar to every drivers name isn't helpful, it just blocks the view, resp. takes space away for the important information. And even if it would use the steam icons, I don't like it, it's nothing that I need or want.

I would like to get the name tag back we had before. White text on black background, a bit higher above the car so it doesn't block the view to the front.
That was perfect, back then, when there was a spun car on track or even far off track, I could read the name, and call/ask the person on TS what is going on. With the current sized name letters and the color they have, I nearly never can read the name, and always forced to call out the position. And even the numbers resp. the whole box shows up very late in some situations, I need to be pretty close to the other car for it to show up. What in situations when there is a standing car on/off track, really isn't much time to take the eyes off track and try to read something while blasting by. Same with lapping in multi class races, a LMP1 car can close up to a GT3 car in a breathtaking speed in certain corners, seeing the position number 2 or just 1 second before I'm right on his back, doesn't give me much time to call out his position on TS to warn him.
With the white letters on black background, I had much more time to read and could read everything clear and fine much earlier then now.

PS: Actually I have a recording of that race ^^ check it out, start of lap3: https://youtu.be/GqK6syH6FvI?t=3m15s
4:06-4:12 is a good example, name and number completly gone in the bg, and I'm really close to the guy in front :P

MartinMWWebb
14-08-2015, 08:12
I think the quick fix for this would be to black outline the font thus making it easier to read in all conditions.

Second would be to scale the size based on distance away from your vehicle to that it is always the same size. i think the overall size would need to be larger than current also.

Fong74
14-08-2015, 09:26
Bump.

The names are almost useless atm, I aggree.

If several cars are quite far away and the names are always the same size as suggested above, the names could block the view to some extent. But we already have the option to turn them on/off while driving (right stick down per default I think), so they could be quite big/readeable anyway. It they start nagging one can simply turn them off while in a race.

So I would be ok with the names just being made bigger for the first part. Re-working them could be the cherry on top.

miagi
14-08-2015, 09:36
Here you can see an example of how it once was and how I liked it most.

https://youtu.be/RdyMx-w4cZQ

Fong74
14-08-2015, 10:00
Very good indeed! Plus an option for how many names ahead should be shown....that would round it up perfectly imo.

F1_Racer68
14-08-2015, 12:20
As much as I hate comparing games to each other, I have to say that opponent names is one thing that the Gran Turismo series got right. Their opponent name display just simply works. It's clear and ledgible and fades in and out of view around the 2 second gap mark. It's easy to read and yet doesn't impede your view of the track.

I do really like Project CARS' inclusion of the ping meter in the opponent name, but aside from the bars, all the text is difficult at best to read.

Stocky
14-08-2015, 12:22
Here you can see an example of how it once was and how I liked it most.

https://youtu.be/RdyMx-w4cZQ

Or take a look at that other new Formula game that came out recently (I won't mention any names). That's the one & only thing, the other game got right.

bc525
14-08-2015, 13:55
Is there an option to just turn off the player names online? In most racing games I actually prefer to turn them off, and especially in PCARS since I can't read them anyways.

Stocky
14-08-2015, 14:08
Yes, you can bind a key to it under controls.

bc525
14-08-2015, 14:25
Yes, you can bind a key to it under controls.

I'm on the Xbox version, so I'm not sure about "bind a key" for turning off player names. Maybe you mean mapping a specific button on the controller for that?

optimalspieler
14-08-2015, 14:35
If I recall correctly it's D-Pad down by default on PC

bc525
14-08-2015, 14:37
Thanks, I'll check it out. I never noticed that the D-pad could turn off player names during a race.

Edit: Ah again that's the PC version. I'm on the Xbox.

donpost
15-08-2015, 10:27
Nothing to add except to say I also have real difficulty reading players' names.

miagi
15-08-2015, 10:38
You can turn it off in the options somewhere I 'm pretty sure about it. If I remember correctly it has the options, On, Off & Online Only. And as stated, on PC you can bind a toggle.

Fong74
15-08-2015, 10:43
If I recall correctly it's D-Pad down by default on PC

Same on PS4. Its even set to D-pad down by default. Toggle player names its called afair (outer right column in the key mappings screen)

Stocky
15-08-2015, 13:19
Nothing to add except to say I also have real difficulty reading players' names.

Difficulty? That's an under statement.
I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet.
It should be an easy thing to do, compared to other fixes or new features.

Essobie
15-08-2015, 15:26
This is on the list of bugs I would consider not releasing another patch until it is addressed. That sounds like hyperbole, but the fact is that this is one of the main things that is glaringly obvious while playing. The only way I can read that text is if I literally get someone to stop in front of me and let me park behind them so I can make it out. Moving on the track at all and this is just a white blob of pixels floating over cars nearby.

Kobus Maree
17-08-2015, 10:27
Is it possible to have an official word on this please?

(I didn't notice it being mentioned elsewhere...)

Bealdor
17-08-2015, 10:30
I forwarded your request to the devs.

F1_Racer68
17-08-2015, 11:49

Thank you!

I'm personally hoping that it is possible to improve the visibilty and legibility of the names without any loss of the current features it provides (network bars and ping rate). It just needs some slight improvement, and not a complete overhaul.

diesel97
17-08-2015, 12:23

Is this the first that they have heard of this ? There have been many threads about this since day one

Bealdor
17-08-2015, 12:25
Is this the first that they have heard of this ? There have been many threads about this since day one

I'm pretty sure it's not the first time they've heard of this.
But since they're now more and more switching from bugfixing to feature implementation, I thought a little "reminder" wouldn't hurt.

Stocky
17-08-2015, 16:42
Thank you!

I'm personally hoping that it is possible to improve the visibilty and legibility of the names without any loss of the current features it provides (network bars and ping rate). It just needs some slight improvement, and not a complete overhaul.

Even better than the ping rate, would be to add a ghost timer in it's place, so if that person is ghosted for any reason, we know how much time is left, and can take proper measures to avoid or drive through them depending on how much time is left.
I just thought that info would be more useful than ping rate, but I don't care either way, and just want the ability to read the opponent names, and maybe even more than one name at a time.

stangnutlx
17-08-2015, 18:48
I don't feel like half of them listen to what we talk about any way

satco1066
17-08-2015, 23:06
I don't feel like half of them listen to what we talk about any way

Why should they. :confused:
They have to do their job.
Its enough when the decision makers know about that and make the todo list for the next release for the developers.
A developer can not read something and implement it on occasion.

Stocky
19-09-2015, 12:31
Bump!

Still useless after patch 4.0.

Is this really that difficult to implement properly?

gp20
21-09-2015, 09:51
It should be written on the back of the car.

Essobie
23-09-2015, 00:14
Naw... floating above is fine, but what they have now might as well not even be there.

Stocky
23-09-2015, 14:29
Yes, floating is the way to go. And big and from further away for FA, since it's so fast.

If we had a live scoreboard showing where everyone was on the track, this wouldn't be so important to me.

I only race online, and in our League. Other than asking everyone in team speak where they are on the track, there's no way to know.

It sucks when you are racing behind a few drivers lap after lap, and have no idea who they are that's racing. Or you can see someone catching you and the guy behind you, but don't know who that is either (someone with fresher tires? The leader?).
I like to be aware when on the track, who's near me, catching me, or in front of me. Or, when the leader crosses the finish line, I have no idea who it is, or to congratulate him, until I finally cross the line, hit escape, and look at the scoreboard myself.

Even worse, is if you are being lapped by the leader, you have no idea if it's the leader, lapped traffic, or another position that may have fresher tires than you.

Since we don't have live scoring, this is the reason I've been begging for opponent names to be fixed which would be better than nothing. It's already implemented in the game, and I figured it was easier to ask for this to be adjusted, rather than ask for a completely new feature like live scoring.

We need something, either, or both.

In real racing, the spotter will tell you much of this (live scoring), and if not, drivers can easily recognize all the cars themselves (opponent names). A quick glance in the rear view, and you could tell that's #48 Lowes, the leader, and I'll let him by. In real racing you can easily tell it's Harvick that's battling Jeff Gordon in front of you (no matter which lap either is on). Since we all don't have our own liveries, we lose that ability, so we have to rely on opponent names as our visual recognition instead.

Real drivers DO have awareness of other drivers, whereas we don't, or have very little without live scoring or opponent names.

Don't real tracks also have huge official digital scoreboards near the start finish lines?

Thank god for team speak, because this solves many of these issues. But talking in team speak during a race, or even listening, can be very distracting and does make you lose concentration.

Edit: Is there a live scoring app out there? I know there are telemetry apps, but scoring and positions?

F1_Racer68
24-09-2015, 04:05
Edit: Is there a live scoring app out there? I know there are telemetry apps, but scoring and positions?

Check out Flynny75's Race Monitor web page. Just enter the address and API port of your Dedicated Server and it gives you live timing and socring as well as track map with "GPS" positioning, just like the WEC/FIA sites.

http://vdash.pro/race_monitor.php

Only down side is having to look at another app in the middle of a race :(

Stocky
24-09-2015, 12:41
Not a fan of the DS's, but thanks.

donpost
24-09-2015, 13:06
How I feel trying to read opponent's names

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/5550504+_9c87e703b3b0e937a3133eff4dcbb4f8.png

diesel97
24-09-2015, 14:11
This must be a hard to fix because not one dev has ever said a word about this.

Stocky
24-09-2015, 15:00
I mentioned a few reasons in my above post, but in last nights League race, I found another.

I pitted early, came out of the pits a lap down and was faster than many of those on the lead lap, but had no clue who I was catching, since they are not technically in the position ahead of me (just ahead of me on the track).
I was only about 1-1.5 seconds behind the guy in front of me, and still had no idea who it was.

This is starting to get a little aggravating without live positioning or being able to read who you are racing with, or who is in front of you.

madmax2069
24-09-2015, 15:07
If the box the name was in at least had a dark background it would make things so much easier to read, white text on a light background does not make it easy to read. Or you could make the text black with a white outline, or white with a black outline.

As well as scaling, it scales down way too much, and doesnt appear until you're pretty close to the person ahead of you.

Stocky
24-09-2015, 16:20
Agreed madmax!

They need to address scaling, size, and contrast.

I also think, get rid of the ping rate, and put a countdown timer for ghosted cars in its spot.

They can kill 2 birds (issues) with one stone.

I sometimes wonder if they take our suggestions and just add them to PCars2, and ignore them for PCars.
But this is one fix that we need now, for all PCars versions.

Would it help if I get the other 20 members of my League, to post a complaint here as well?

diesel97
24-09-2015, 17:24
Agreed madmax!

They need to address scaling, size, and contrast.

I also think, get rid of the ping rate, and put a countdown timer for ghosted cars in its spot.

They can kill 2 birds (issues) with one stone.

I sometimes wonder if they take our suggestions and just add them to PCars2, and ignore them for PCars.
But this is one fix that we need now, for all PCars versions.

Would it help if I get the other 20 members of my League, to post a complaint here as well?

I wouldn't hold your breath people have bitching about since day one and not one dev has said a word

Stocky
09-10-2015, 16:04
Really??

It's been months, many patches, and still nothing????

Stocky
09-10-2015, 16:16
Does any one from SMS play this game?

If they did, they would be complaining about not being able to save car set ups, the contrast on the track map against the sky, the opponent names being useless, the ghosted cars not being visual, the track penalties, and more.

There's no way anyone from SMS could be playing this and not have noticed and complained themselves. If they did, these things would have been fixed a long time ago.

Yes, fixed! These are not new features being asked for (except car set up saving which I deal with as is, with pen & paper), but they are already implemented features in the game, but just broken. Kind of like the forced defaults was implemented but broken (thanks for fixing that in todays patch).

Stocky
20-10-2015, 13:30
"Bump"

Forwarded to the Devs the middle of August, more than 2 months ago.

Still waiting patiently, but starting to lose hope.

diesel97
20-10-2015, 14:08
"Bump"

Forwarded to the Devs the middle of August, more than 2 months ago.

Still waiting patiently, but starting to lose hope.

This is one of the things that nobody wants to touch with a 10ft pole
Since day one and not one response

Stocky
20-10-2015, 14:15
Wouldn't you think this would be an easy fix?

It's already implemented in the game, and all they have to do is stop the scaling, make it bigger, and maybe add some contrast.

If they can't fix the easy stuff, ..................... ?

diesel97
20-10-2015, 14:24
Wouldn't you think this would be an easy fix?

It's already implemented in the game, and all they have to do is stop the scaling, make it bigger, and maybe add some contrast.

If they can't fix the easy stuff, ..................... ?

just change the color would be start

Bluefly
05-04-2016, 18:41
Hi, wurden die Gegnernamen jetzt abgeschafft? Egal, was ich probiere, sie lassen sich bei mir nicht mehr zu schalten.

Patch 10 und neueste Grafikkartentreiber sind installiert. Spieldateien wurden auch überprüft.

Wolkenwolf
05-04-2016, 19:46
Ist ein Fehler, soll gefixt werden, Kannste doch eh nicht lesen ;)

Its a bug, should be fixed in a hotfix. Do you need it, if you cant read it ?

Bluefly
05-04-2016, 20:58
Wat kann man nicht lesen? ... finde es schon wichtig, wer mich mal wieder abschießt.

Bealdor
06-04-2016, 06:25
Please stick to english on this forum. Thanks.
To answer your question:

It is a known issue and we'll release a fix for that and more in an update very soon. We had to make a call between releasing the VR update now, or holding it all back because the opponent labels aren't working. I'm sure you can appreciate that there are vastly more people wanting the VR update. Again, the labels issue is in hand and we'll have it sorted ASAP. Bear with us please.

Edit: Woohoo, 5000th post!

Mascot
06-04-2016, 07:04
Please stick to english on this forum. Thanks.
To answer your question:

Edit: Woohoo, 5000th post!

That suggests that a solution is in the works for opponent names as viewed in VR. The same issue exists for 2D display users (and has from day one). In fact, the original poster was not referring to VR at all.

Names are too small and text is also hard to see against light skies. It's been like this since last May.

Bealdor
06-04-2016, 07:05
That suggests that a solution is in the works for opponent names as viewed in VR. The same issue exists for 2D display users (and has from day one).

The issue Bluefly was talking about was that the opponent names aren't working at all ATM. This will be fixed according to the post I quoted.

Mascot
06-04-2016, 07:08
The issue Bluefly was talking about was that the opponent names aren't working at all ATM. This will be fixed according to the post I quoted.

The stuff in German? I don't speak it - sorry..!

So - no fix for opponent names for 2D screens is planned?

Bealdor
06-04-2016, 07:17
The stuff in German? I don't speak it - sorry..!

That's why we're asking for english only. :)

So - no fix for opponent names for 2D screens is planned?

I don't know more than you regarding this issue, sorry.

Dalhil
06-04-2016, 09:26
Can you please ask to devs team to definetly fix too small opponents names? They're working now on this part of code and opponent names are completely unuseful the way they are displayed in 2D. Maybe it's the last chance they finally decide to fix it, thx

Bealdor
06-04-2016, 09:36
I've forwarded it again to the devs.

*fingers crossed*

Bluefly
13-04-2016, 09:01
Verstehe euch nicht. Die sind doch abschaltbar. Wieso werden die gleich abgeschafft? Ich will schon wissen wen ich überrunde und wer mich abschießt. Auch die Replays sind so echt unsinnig. Besonders wenn die Fahrzeugtypen auch noch im Replay vertauscht werden. Mit jedem Patch kommen neue blödere Bugs hinzu und alte werden immer noch nicht abgeschafft. Sage nur "No connection with XBox Controller on PC".

cluck
13-04-2016, 09:32
Verstehe euch nicht. Die sind doch abschaltbar. Wieso werden die gleich abgeschafft? Ich will schon wissen wen ich überrunde und wer mich abschießt. Auch die Replays sind so echt unsinnig. Besonders wenn die Fahrzeugtypen auch noch im Replay vertauscht werden. Mit jedem Patch kommen neue blödere Bugs hinzu und alte werden immer noch nicht abgeschafft. Sage nur "No connection with XBox Controller on PC".Can you please either post in English or at least include a basic 'Google Translate' with your post :).

Like this :

Do not understand you. They're switched off. Why are the same abolished? I want to know who I round and who shoots me. The replays are really nonsensical. Especially when the vehicle types are reversed even in the replay. Each patch new blödere bugs are added and old ones are still not abolished. Just say "No connection with XBox controller on PC".

The driver labels are coming back in the next patch on PC. They were removed in the extraordinary efforts the devs went through to make sure Project CARS was a release day game for the Oculus Rift. That was an important day for SMS, Oculus and the VR world in general. It is unfortunate that the driver labels had to be sacrificed for this but the devs were aware of it and promised to resolve it as soon as they could.

Dalhil
23-04-2016, 20:16
Can you please ask to devs team to definetly fix too small opponents names? They're working now on this part of code and opponent names are completely unuseful the way they are displayed in 2D. Maybe it's the last chance they finally decide to fix it, thx

opponents names are still too small and useless...

I've forwarded it again to the devs.

*fingers crossed*

thank you anyway Bealdor, maybe this issue is too hard to fix

F1_Racer68
23-04-2016, 21:20
I disagree. They are far from useless.

Having now had several league events without them, I have come to realize just how much they were used in their former state. I believe they have been made larger now that they are back? I don't think it is a massive change, but for me, it seems they are a bit easier to read now.

Dalhil
27-04-2016, 09:56
I disagree. They are far from useless.

Having now had several league events without them, I have come to realize just how much they were used in their former state. I believe they have been made larger now that they are back? I don't think it is a massive change, but for me, it seems they are a bit easier to read now.

Sorry but i confirm my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gxLEubJ2qA

Names become too small when cars are just few meters far from you, to read them you need to be close to your opponent and this is often not sufficient when the name is on a bright background (sky ecc...).

Opponents names are sadly far from standards seen in other racing sims and yes, while driving and when you need to focus on driving, they are shown in an unacceptable way.

F1_Racer68
27-04-2016, 11:03
I don't disagree with you in general. They absolutely could be better. I disagree with the statement that they are "useless". Room for improvement, yes. Useless, no. I have come to realize just how much I do use them now that they were gone for a month.

Bealdor
12-05-2016, 17:10
From latest patch 11.0 patch notes:

* Improved system for Opponent Labels

F1_Racer68
12-05-2016, 17:14
From latest patch 11.0 patch notes:

Looking forward to trying them when I get home......... tomorrow night :(

I hate working out of town.

cluck
12-05-2016, 17:17
This is what they look like now

Much clearer to read :)

F1_Racer68
12-05-2016, 18:46
This is what they look like now

Much clearer to read :)

Thanks for that cluck!!

That definitely looks MUCH better. Looking forward to seeing them first hand.

ARNAGEist
13-05-2016, 11:13
Sorry to point it out the names are much clearer now but I had a weird effect of driving up the hill towards the Dunlop Chicane at Le Mans and I could see the names of the cars on the track that were heading down the hill to the esses :confused:

Was it because I don't often drive a GT at Le Mans and it gave me more time to look at the scenery where I'll be in just over a month or is there a lot more detail to the circuit now?
It almost felt like being there (more than normal :cool: )

if you haven't seen this years changes to the track it looks interesting but I'm not sure how it will affect the viewing at Arnage & Indy, hopefully not much
http://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/actualites/24-heures-du-mans-les-images-aeriennes-des-travaux-au-virage-d-arnage_2_1_1707_24784.html

RomKnight
13-05-2016, 12:02
I barely used names (only in mp races to know who when "Kvyat Maldonado" on 1st lap :D :D ) and they were useless.

Now they're way too big! but at least I can see who messed up :D

It seems to scale backwards to me. The closer you are the smaller it should get but ATM the closer I get to one the bigger that info gets.

Roger Prynne
13-05-2016, 12:12
Yeah I find using the names is very distracting and looks horrible to me.
I just use them for a brief second when needed.

Ch1ps N Queso
14-05-2016, 03:43
They're bigger, but they're on all the time. It looks terrible. Not only that, people that drive in third person (only saw this because I was adjusting my cam from third person to dash view) will be able to see their name while they're driving.

billzkid
14-05-2016, 09:51
I don't mind that you see name tags half way across the track :)

I have one question though? Why Do we have that yellow avatar? It just takes useless space. It would so much better if there would be steam avatar there in the MP races!

Sorry if somebody already mentioned that. I haven't read the whole thread

DFAlex
14-05-2016, 20:13
Moin,
i think it's a little to big now, but i can live with...
The logo is unless for me, if possible it could be dissabled...

Alex

lollygag
14-05-2016, 22:29
Yeah I find using the names is very distracting and looks horrible to me.
I just use them for a brief second when needed.

Yea what roger said.. you gotta set a key on the wheel for a quick on/off glance (to see what dumbass just pummeled you off the track)

giagrande
17-06-2016, 12:45
I think they are too big and the adaptation to the distance doesn't work very well, you can see the names even if the cars are out of sight. Furthermore you can see the yours!

Bealdor
17-06-2016, 12:48
Threads merged.

WarHamster
17-06-2016, 16:20
Are the opponent names were fixed now or not? I thought they were. A few days ago i could see them. Big and clear, from one end of the track to another. But they could be switched on and off if you have a hotkey assigned. Which i have, but since yesterday or so the names or gone again. I tried assign another hotkey but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone any ideas why this could be?

SaltPacket
22-06-2016, 20:04
When Opponent names are turned on, the player's own name tag is shown, relative to the car. This means for chase cameras, it can dominate the screen and be quite distracting for the player. I believe correct behaviour is that the player's own tag should not be shown, but opponents' should still be. In attached screenshot, the player's ‘self’ tag can seen as “20 Test Test”, with the current resolution at 1920×1080.

To recreate: Settings > Gameplay > Onscreen guides & Display > Opponent Names to On and then drive around with a chase camera.

Siberian Tiger
22-06-2016, 20:10
Well, there will be alway some overlapping on Name Tag's (How should you display that much in a near Field)

It was requested by the Community to make them Bigger and easier to read...

I agree, that the own Name shouldn't be displayed, but i think this is because of the Syncing with other Clients.
Would Need a Code Rewrite to change it)

Bealdor
23-06-2016, 07:21
Threads merged.

deedub777
23-06-2016, 07:27
Go watch some gameplay of GT6 to see how it is made legible yet not intrusive.