PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical noise when downshifting?

resmania
14-07-2015, 04:21
Hello guys!

Can someone explain me what is the cause of this canned mechanical noise when downshifting?

I always wondered why every car in pCARS has that noise.. :p

https://youtu.be/_qHftUotoQ0?t=1m4s

Azure Flare
14-07-2015, 04:40
Thay would be the gearbox slamming into the next gear. It would do that on both up and down shifts.

Ryzza5
14-07-2015, 04:53
I'm pretty sure there are no 'canned' sounds in any of the player cars. All physics driven in tandem with real life high quality recordings.

xautos
14-07-2015, 06:14
I'm pretty sure there are no 'canned' sounds in any of the player cars. All physics driven in tandem with real life high quality recordings.

when the ford ecoboost dp from the TUSCC comes to the game youd be wondering what that noise is under braking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYjpWATBCo

the thing is that each car has their own unique sounds that make it sound correct to each car.

TheReaper GT
14-07-2015, 06:26
You're talking about the transmission sound, right? They sound alike because there are few manufacturers that make those transmissions, like Zf, Albin, Elcon, Ricardo. Those transmissions have this common noise due to series limitations and the straight gear teeths.

Azure Flare
14-07-2015, 09:31
when the ford ecoboost dp from the TUSCC comes to the game

Source?

xautos
14-07-2015, 12:13
Source?

notice the word "when"? i never put certainties on anything.

Azure Flare
14-07-2015, 13:53
notice the word "when"? i never put certainties on anything.

You're implying that this car is coming to Project CARS.

So I ask again, how would you know this?

xautos
14-07-2015, 13:53

you can argue this if you want, i am already done with it. and imply what you like if it helps, i know what my intention was and it isnt what your thinking.

TheReaper GT
14-07-2015, 13:55

He meant IF the car comes, and I think you've got that, at second glance at least.

Azure Flare
14-07-2015, 14:27
you can argue this if you want, i am already done with it. and imply what you like if it helps, i know what my intention was and it isnt what your thinking.

Proper grammer is key.

chig88
14-07-2015, 14:58
Proper grammer is key.

*Grammar :p

Kelderek
14-07-2015, 16:37
Hello guys!

Can someone explain me what is the cause of this canned mechanical noise when downshifting?

I always wondered why every car in pCARS has that noise.. :p

https://youtu.be/_qHftUotoQ0?t=1m4s

On the Zonda R in your clip, it sounds like exhaust pops, not a mechanical noise. When the revs change during shifting, unburnt fuel is shot out through the exhaust system and ignites there, causing popping and sometimes quite loud bangs.
I have the same in my real life Porsche, it's definately not a mechanical sound. When I accelerate hard and upshift, it sounds like a gunshot. When I downshift from high revs, it's like fireworks... I'm pretty sure it sounds even more spectacular in a Zonda! :D

Schnizz58
14-07-2015, 16:44
Proper grammer is key.
Spelling is pretty important too.

xautos
14-07-2015, 16:50
spelling is alright for important things, but this is a casual place to chat about gaming, not causing a run around and offering no reason why.

xautos
14-07-2015, 16:54
On the Zonda R in your clip, it sounds like exhaust pops, not a mechanical noise. When the revs change during shifting, unburnt fuel is shot out through the exhaust system and ignites there, causing popping and sometimes quite loud bangs.
I have the same in my real life Porsche, it's definately not a mechanical sound. When I accelerate hard and upshift, it sounds like a gunshot. When I downshift from high revs, it's like fireworks... I'm pretty sure it sounds even more spectacular in a Zonda! :D

you also notice it when it gets dark in racing when a car downshifts, you notice the car backfiring unburned fuel, same in a formula car as well. sometimes spectacular to watch some cars with their exhaust systems on the side of the car churning out flames.

resmania
14-07-2015, 16:57

I see! I was curious because all the cars in pCARS shares the same sound effect for that :)

Azure Flare
14-07-2015, 17:19
*Grammar :p

Spelling is pretty important too.

Or did I do that on purpose? :playful:

Schnizz58
14-07-2015, 17:43
Nice try. ;)

PeoplesChampion
14-07-2015, 18:05
...straight gear teeths.

Key words!