PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell what tires are on your car?

Humanzee2
16-07-2015, 21:26
Hey guys,

So my setup for tire selection is automatic for the weather. The forecast is mostly cloudy. One lap into the race it starts raining and I have no idea what kind of tires are on my car (not open wheel so I can't see them). Is there a way to tell so I know whether I can keep going or I have to pit and change tires before I start sliding all over the place?

Thanks!

Plato99
16-07-2015, 21:41
You have to start the race first, find out it rains, think "ok, I'll put wets on", quit the race, enter it again but put wets on before you start.
Not ideal but its the only way I find. Tyres will heat up rapidly on the dry track but will cool down once the rain comes.
Makes each season almost twice as long but hey ho.

FS7
16-07-2015, 21:48
It would be nice if SMS included some letters next to the tire icon to show which tires we currently have (eg: SS = soft slicks, MS = medium slicks, HS = hard slicks, I = intermediates, W = wets).

Mr Akina
16-07-2015, 21:55
Pick a tyre for the race: Slick or Wet?
Pick a tyre in a pit stop: Soft, Med, Hard, Inter, Wet?

What compound are the default start slicks and why can't we know? And why can't we start on inters?

Humanzee2
17-07-2015, 04:12
You have to start the race first, find out it rains, think "ok, I'll put wets on", quit the race, enter it again but put wets on before you start.
Not ideal but its the only way I find. Tyres will heat up rapidly on the dry track but will cool down once the rain comes.
Makes each season almost twice as long but hey ho.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Pain in the butt...

Bluedice
17-07-2015, 06:33
It would be nice if SMS included some letters next to the tire icon to show which tires we currently have (eg: SS = soft slicks, MS = medium slicks, HS = hard slicks, I = intermediates, W = wets).

Yes please!

Or simply add the S (soft), M (Medium), H (Hard), I (Intermediate) and W (Wet) letters inside the tire icons if display real state is a issue.

e15f
17-07-2015, 07:15
Yes please!

Or simply add the S (soft), M (Medium), H (Hard), I (Intermediate) and W (Wet) letters inside the tire icons if display real state is a issue.

+1 on this!

danowat
17-07-2015, 08:10
Even worse on Multiplayer...........no way to change the tyres.

sVig
17-07-2015, 10:09
You do realise you can pick which tyres you want on the car for the start of the race don't you TC? Where it says automatic by weather just press left or right to cycle through the choices if you don't want them picked automatically.

Mascot
17-07-2015, 10:59
If track conditions are dry, what does 'automatic by weather' actually mean? Soft slicks, medium slicks, or hard slicks?

Come on, dev team. You MUST have pondered things like this during development. Did nobody really ever suggest that overtly knowing what tyres are actually on your car might, you know, be a good idea?

I love pCARS, I really do, but the game is full of baffling and counter-intuitive design decisions like this, and it's incredibly frustrating. It's almost as if the devs never actually played their own game.

danowat
17-07-2015, 11:05
My favorite feature is the way the setup always just resets back to "automatic by weather", even if you do decide to change them!.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 11:06
Pick a tyre for the race: Slick or Wet?
Pick a tyre in a pit stop: Soft, Med, Hard, Inter, Wet?

What compound are the default start slicks and why can't we know? And why can't we start on inters?

The pit stop strat options aren't reflective of the compounds available for the car. If it's a car with only Slicks or Wets available selecting Soft, Med, Hard will give you slicks (or it should, I actually don't think it works) And Inter, Wet, Extreme Wet SHOULD give you the Wet tire.

It's worse in the Formulas. Which option do you choose for the Farretti? Which for the Yiro?

Surprised this hasn't been worked out yet tbh but I hope it's on the top of the list now, nor sure how it slipped through the Dev AND WMD testing, no one noticed??

Bluedice
17-07-2015, 11:10
My favorite feature is the way the setup always just resets back to "automatic by weather", even if you do decide to change them!.

That is indeed annoying. I keep finding my self repeating that process a couple of times until I decide to let it go and pray that what I have chose is there somehow. They should fix it.

Bluedice
17-07-2015, 11:15
The pit stop strat options aren't reflective of the compounds available for the car. If it's a car with only Slicks or Wets available selecting Soft, Med, Hard will give you slicks (or it should, I actually don't think it works) And Inter, Wet, Extreme Wet SHOULD give you the Wet tire.

It's worse in the Formulas. Which option do you choose for the Farretti? Which for the Yiro?

Surprised this hasn't been worked out yet tbh but I hope it's on the top of the list now, nor sure how it slipped through the Dev AND WMD testing, no one noticed??

I think that is a known bug. Hope it gets fixed soon.

As for the silly tire names, they don't help in anything nor make for a more interesting experience. If there is no tire brand and is not trying to emulate a specific compound from a specific brand that exists just make their name reflect what they are, it should be more than sufficient.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 11:17
I think that is a known bug. Hope it gets fixed soon.

As for the silly tire names, they don't help in anything nor make for a more interesting experience. If there is no tire brand and is not trying to emulate a specific compound from a specific brand that exists just make their name reflect what they are, it should be more than sufficient.

Agreed, not sure why there isn't just ONE brand with multiple compounds, they don't clearly explain the two and they aren't real brands, so I'm not sure why it was considered necessary.

Mascot
17-07-2015, 11:27
I'm starting to believe that all the odd design decisions, baffling UI, hidden information, and the rest of the little annoyances that can easily add up to a frustrating overall experience are an unfortunate result of the way pCARS has been developed. Not only by the 'too many cooks' input from 80,000 members of the public, but also by the way the dev team is spread around the world. It seems like there's a lack of cohesion somehow, with everyone working on their own little areas almost with blinkers on, not seeing the wood for the trees, and with nobody making sure all those component parts mesh together seamlessly so that the whole gaming experience 'flows' logically and informatively. I don't know, and maybe I'm over-simplifying, but isn't that the job of the game director? It took hours, minutes in some cases for all of these annoying quirks to be immediately obvious to players. So why the hell were they never picked up and actioned appropriately during development?

danowat
17-07-2015, 11:30
I'm starting to believe that all the odd design decisions, baffling UI, hidden information, and the rest of the little annoyances that can easily add up to a frustrating overall experience are an unfortunate result of the way pCARS has been developed. Not only by the 'too many cooks' input from 80,000 members of the public, but also by the way the dev team is spread around the world. It seems like there's a lack of cohesion somehow, with everyone working on their own little areas almost with blinkers on, not seeing the wood for the trees, and with nobody making sure all those component parts mesh together seamlessly so that the whole gaming experience 'flows' logically and informatively. I don't know, and maybe I'm over-simplifying, but isn't that the job of the game director? It took hours, minutes in some cases for all of these annoying quirks to be immediately obvious to players. So why the hell were they never picked up and actioned appropriately during development?

I believe, or at least have been led to believe, that a number of "better" UI's were "offered" by WMD members during development, none of which were used.

I wonder if the current UI (and it's issues) are (another) hang over from the iteration of the madness engine from Shift, I seem to remember setups were also problematic in both versions on Shift.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 11:44
I believe, or at least have been led to believe, that a number of "better" UI's were "offered" by WMD members during development, none of which were used.

I wonder if the current UI (and it's issues) are (another) hang over from the iteration of the madness engine from Shift, I seem to remember setups were also problematic in both versions on Shift.

I'd like to hear from some WMD members on their thoughts bc I'm with Mascot, pretty much everything in the UI is unintuitive and clumsy. Especially the pit stop stuff, it's so clunky and odd how was that the final draft that everyone playing it went "Yup, that's done, works well"

Something as simple as selecting the livery you want......is over complicated.

Weather slots aren't explained in the UI either

Raven403
17-07-2015, 12:40
I could swear someone said they were fixing the Strat Tire stuff so it shows actual options too..

But I guess this thread will just get buried while everyone is bs'ing in the DLC price thread.....

Dirtalot
17-07-2015, 12:53
devs? Any answers?

Raven403
17-07-2015, 13:28
Someone Start throwing insults, seems to be a good way to grab attention lol

danowat
17-07-2015, 13:41
Someone Start throwing insults, seems to be a good way to grab attention lol

Errrr..........blank you, you blanking blank?

sVig
17-07-2015, 13:47
Lol.

The pit strategy thing I believe is like that because it's difficult to make the game know which cars have which tyres available so if a car has, say, just slicks and rain available then regardless of whether you pick soft, medium, hard, or wets, intermediates, you will get the slick for the soft medium or hard choice and the rain tyre for wet or intermediate.

Schnizz58
17-07-2015, 14:06
I'd like to hear from some WMD members on their thoughts bc I'm with Mascot, pretty much everything in the UI is unintuitive and clumsy. Especially the pit stop stuff, it's so clunky and odd how was that the final draft that everyone playing it went "Yup, that's done, works well"

I *think* the way the pit strategy was intended to be used is like this. Strategies are generic and apply across different cars. So beforehand you'd set up a variety of pit strategies such as Fuel + Tires, Tires Only (dry & wet versions of both), Splash and Go, etc. During practice you'd edit those pit strategies and modify the fuel amounts and tire pressures as needed. Since the strategy can apply to a lot of different cars, the tire selections are generic (soft, med, int, wet and so on) but get mapped to a specific tire when you use the strategy in a race with a specific car. What we don't know are those mappings. I think we need two things. An indication of what tires are actually installed on the car and the ability to select the amount of fuel to add during a pit. We already have the fuel slider that selects the total amount of fuel (and we want to keep that) but for a splash and go, we may want to instead add enough to get to the finish line and no more. So it's hard to set up a splash and go pit strategy because there's no way to know ahead of time how much fuel will be left in the car when we pit.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 14:12
I would agree that that's how they may have been intended but boy we're way off then.

Your right, we need to know the mappings of the tires, and what tires are actually on your car for this design to work imo

Schnizz58
17-07-2015, 14:17
I would agree that that's how they may have been intended but boy we're way off then.
I don't think we're that far off. If we just had those two things, I could probably make it work.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 14:19
I don't think we're that far off. If we just had those two things, I could probably make it work.

It's a big IF tho

Where is Doug914 lol he wants it and he's a Dev we need heavy hitters

Schnizz58
17-07-2015, 14:24
Well Doug (or one of the other devs) said that they would add some sort of indication of what tire is on the car. If I had that I could work out the mapping. Then all I'd need is a way to do a quick get me to the finish line type of pit stop.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 14:27
Well Doug (or one of the other devs) said that they would add some sort of indication of what tire is on the car. If I had that I could work out the mapping. Then all I'd need is a way to do a quick get me to the finish line type of pit stop.

I agree. I would actually be able to make it work if it all just worked lol. The only wat to know for sure if a stop works tho is having an indicator

Toxic
17-07-2015, 14:28
Check todays patch notes for 2.5 on PC.

This may answer a few of your issues (not the OP's though)

Raven403
17-07-2015, 14:29

Yeah I saw those. Good to see

Schnizz58
17-07-2015, 14:39

Thank you. I believe this is what we're looking for:
* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.
* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle.

I guess it still doesn't tell you what's on the car but at least now you know the mapping.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 14:43
Thank you. I believe this is what we're looking for:
* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.
* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle.

I guess it still doesn't tell you what's on the car but at least now you know the mapping.

Yup, it's a good step in the right direction

Fight-Test
17-07-2015, 14:45
I *think* the way the pit strategy was intended to be used is like this. Strategies are generic and apply across different cars. So beforehand you'd set up a variety of pit strategies such as Fuel + Tires, Tires Only (dry & wet versions of both), Splash and Go, etc. During practice you'd edit those pit strategies and modify the fuel amounts and tire pressures as needed. Since the strategy can apply to a lot of different cars, the tire selections are generic (soft, med, int, wet and so on) but get mapped to a specific tire when you use the strategy in a race with a specific car. What we don't know are those mappings. I think we need two things. An indication of what tires are actually installed on the car and the ability to select the amount of fuel to add during a pit. We already have the fuel slider that selects the total amount of fuel (and we want to keep that) but for a splash and go, we may want to instead add enough to get to the finish line and no more. So it's hard to set up a splash and go pit strategy because there's no way to know ahead of time how much fuel will be left in the car when we pit.

Good post. Just wanted to clear up that you can add fuel that way. Go into a solo race or online race. Go in the tune and turn your fuel to 1 Liter. Then save and exit. go to pit strategy and create new. Then set your fuel to what you want to add. So if you put it at 10 you will add 10, not have 10 total. or say if you have set to add 50 liters and when you pit you have 10 liters left you will leave with 60 not 50. Try it out. works perfect. Now once you do this do not go in the strategy to edit it in the pits. Just select it as the active one, then leave the cursor over it when you exit and hit close while in pit and your all good.

One of my strategies is splash and dash, Adds 10 liters only, with not tires and no repairs. I hope they get his all fixed correctly but most of it does work, you just have to hack the damn matrix to figure out how.

So a sample list of strategies.

Softs Only
Meds Only
Hard Only
Int. Only
Wet Only
Soft/Repair Only
Med/Repair Only
Etc.
Soft/Repair/Fuel
Med/Repair/Fuel
etc.
Repair all Only
Repair Aero Only
Repair Motor only
Splash and Dash
Stop and Go (Does nothing but drive in pit, stop and leave, comes in handy in series that have mandantory pits with no need to fuel or take tires)
Then you can have setups that are like
Soft/Repair/20L
Soft/Repair/40L
Soft/20L

Just examples of possibilities.

Doug914
17-07-2015, 14:47

With the 2.5 patch just released, we removed all the unused compounds for each car that appears in the pit strategy screen, so you only see the compounds that are available in the rotation. So if you choose wet, your getting wet for sure :). This was a bit trickier on the cars with street like tires. So I appened a compound tag the tires description so you'd have a good idea of what your choosing in the pit strat screen, plus what that tire's hiearchy is in that car's available tire list. For instance the modern street cars, Like the Ford Focus, now have:
Name in setup = Pit strat compound
Masculin -All weather = wet
Masculin Street- Medium = medium
Masculin Track-soft = soft

And in the pit strat screen you'll only get wet-medium-soft in the compound choice rotation. We wanted to have the real tire's setup names in the pit strat screen, but it ended up out of scope for Pcars1, so this was the best compromise. For racecars it all works perfectly with no naming changes, just only giving you the compounds available, and make 100% sense.

Lastly we've been working on displaying the actual tires name (what you see in the setup) in the HUD so you know with out a doubt which tires your driving on. Along with this will be displaying wear and hot pressures. No promises if and when other than we are working on it. Enjoy all :)

Raven403
17-07-2015, 14:48
I said it once , I'll say it again.....Doug, you the man

FS7
17-07-2015, 14:51
Lastly we've been working on displaying the actual tires name (what you see in the setup) in the HUD so you know with out a doubt which tires your driving on. Along with this will be displaying wear and hot pressures. No promises if and when other than we are working on it. Enjoy all :)
That's great news, thank you!

Doug914
17-07-2015, 15:03
I said it once , I'll say it again.....Doug, you the man

Thanks!
There's a bunch of guys behind the scene who are involved in all this (and don't post here) and i regularly say to them "you da' man"............ Steve Dunn being a big one, along with Martin M, Mike Laskey and the main tester/QA guys Bruno and Tom C . They provide constant and valuable feedback.

Raven403
17-07-2015, 15:05
Thanks!
There's a bunch of guys behind the scene who are involved in all this (and don't post here) and i regularly say to them "you da' man"............ Steve Dunn being a big one, along with Martin M, Mike Laskey and the main tester/QA guys Bruno and Tom C . They provide constant and valuable feedback.

Then pass on our regards! Keep it up boys we greatly appreciate it

KkDrummer
17-07-2015, 17:14
With the 2.5 patch just released, we removed all the unused compounds for each car that appears in the pit strategy screen, so you only see the compounds that are available in the rotation. So if you choose wet, your getting wet for sure :). This was a bit trickier on the cars with street like tires. So I appened a compound tag the tires description so you'd have a good idea of what your choosing in the pit strat screen, plus what that tire's hiearchy is in that car's available tire list. For instance the modern street cars, Like the Ford Focus, now have:
Name in setup = Pit strat compound
Masculin -All weather = wet
Masculin Street- Medium = medium
Masculin Track-soft = soft

And in the pit strat screen you'll only get wet-medium-soft in the compound choice rotation. We wanted to have the real tire's setup names in the pit strat screen, but it ended up out of scope for Pcars1, so this was the best compromise. For racecars it all works perfectly with no naming changes, just only giving you the compounds available, and make 100% sense.

awesomeness!!!!! thank you guys!!! =]

Mascot
18-07-2015, 06:49
Thanks Doug, that's great progress. If tyre spec, temp and pressure can be added to the HUD, can we also have other hidden info (like track temperature, time of day, wind speed and direction, track elevation above sea level, atmospheric pressure, upcoming precipitation etc etc) overtly displayed somewhere too, maybe in a 'track conditions' box? As I understand it all of those parameters are modelled into the physics engine (which is great), but because they are hidden from the player they actually disadvantage us because we can't consider them in our set-ups (which is not great).

Please keep up the good work, it's very much appreciated. We are getting there, step by step.

g33k hack3rs
21-07-2015, 18:55

This will be really great if we can have it. At the moment I have no idea of the wear on tires until my engineer comes on and say it is time to pit for a tire change. To see the tire and wear will be a great addition to the available information in the HUD.

Will this also be available for those that use the Motec rather than HUD?

Pawan thakur
29-07-2015, 11:38
We know you've heard it sometime recently, however, it's sufficiently basic to shoulder rehashing. It's additionally somewhat overwhelming, as well, that the tires on a vehicle are the one single connection to the street surface. Consider that for a minute. You can have the most capable motor, the most modern transmission, the most expound super-trap suspension, and each other car gadget knew not, yet it all, isn't justified regardless of a tinker's damn if the tires (and wheels) are less than impressive. As it were, it's truly a touch odd, however, that is exactly how the operation of the vehicles is.
Fortunately, in the wake of inspecting the actualities in the above-noted designers, you can rest guaranteed that their innovation is at an unsurpassed high and it continues showing signs of improvement. Truth be told, it's really, truly astounding that while crummy tires can hurt an extraordinary auto, awesome tires can do ponders for a not exactly fabulous car. At the end of the day, there are a few occasions where tire innovation is way past a large portion of the cars out and about.
Picking the tire, the truth is out for you includes various contemplations. However, to make the procedure less startling, remember these two basic rules when considering tires. To begin with, know your normal needs and driving employments. This thought is imperative to general driving delight and a well-run tire shop will help you focus your tire needs before you set out any green.
Recently I also owned one Used Audi A8 L (http://www.bigboytoyz.com/inventory/used-cars/audi), so I am also known to these rules. So today I am feeling very happy by sharing this information with you.

lmntr
23-02-2016, 21:22
I drive only formula cars but I imagine it is the same to check on other type of cars. I just scroll the telemetry views until I get the one with the suspension heights, which include the information on which tires are mounted.