PDA

View Full Version : HTC/Steam Vive support ?

icebear
17-07-2015, 17:41
hello

i really appreciate how SMS supports the rift as i feel VR is really the future of gaming

anyway, i feel like i could choose the Vive more than the rift for many reasons
The first being it should be ready sooner
the second because as an hardcore gamer and PC lover, i feel better giving my money to Steam than to Facebook.
Third because it could be a little better but difficult to say until the final specs of the rift

but a VR headset is of no use for me if my favorite game is not supported ;)

So, SMS, do you have a Vive dev kit at home ? Do you plan it to be supported for launch ?
It would really be a good news :)

x ImJakeyy
18-07-2015, 12:18
I'm sure some news will come when SMS can share stuff, a lot of devs are held to NDA's on discussing the Hive.

TheDoctor46
21-02-2016, 16:02
Sorry, dont wanted to highjack this thread but dont want to open a new thread for this (for some) rather disappointing news...HTC VIVE comes for a whopping price tag of $799. Shipment starting April. ...an I thought the prize for OR was laughable :rolleyes:

http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-is-799/

Patrick Kulinski
21-02-2016, 21:40
If you take a look at OR at the same time, then I think Vive offers a better bang for the buck as the room tracking and the biult-in camera (for AR) open completely new worlds for gaming ideas. Most likely I'll wait for the reviews and then will decide for/against the Vive, the budget is reserved.

Silraed
21-02-2016, 23:49
Honestly the HTC Vive even at the higher price looks like better value for money for what you are getting. Reports are that included in that price are the two motion controllers and the room tracking hardware.

In the end though the deciding factor in which headset wins the VR war will be which gets the better software support, not which is necessarily the better product.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
22-02-2016, 04:33
Sorry, dont wanted to highjack this thread but dont want to open a new thread for this (for some) rather disappointing news...HTC VIVE comes for a whopping price tag of $799. Shipment starting April. ...an I thought the prize for OR was laughable :rolleyes:

http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-is-799/The Vive was always going to be more expensive, I have no idea why anyone would have thought otherwise.

MaximusN
22-02-2016, 07:09
If you take a look at OR at the same time, then I think Vive offers a better bang for the buck as the room tracking and the biult-in camera (for AR) open completely new worlds for gaming ideas. Most likely I'll wait for the reviews and then will decide for/against the Vive, the budget is reserved.

And it has the VR-contollers instead of an xbox one controller. And most important of all, it's not LiveInvad..erm.. Facebook's but HTC's(all my Androids have been from the One range, I love 'em). :) I'll gladly pay extra for all these things. And to put it in perspective, it's in the high end phone price range, and I'd rather buy a less expensive phone(what do you really get for the extra bucks?) or make it last longer than skip this brilliant tech.

TheDoctor46
22-02-2016, 11:05
The Vive was always going to be more expensive, I have no idea why anyone would have thought otherwise.
Sorry guys, got confused by PS VR. So This prize tag makes much more sense :rolleyes:

surtic86
29-02-2016, 12:16
Today is the Day :) who is also going to Order a HTC VIVE in ~2h?

Any infos from the Project Cars side to Support the VIVE?

slopokdave
29-02-2016, 18:33
Today is the Day :) who is also going to Order a HTC VIVE in ~2h?

Any infos from the Project Cars side to Support the VIVE?

I pre-ordered today.... but I have a pre-order for a CV1 Rift too. If support doesn't come to Vive, or isn't coming within a reasonable time, I may favor keeping the Rift. Racing games are my main interest.

Karaya2
29-02-2016, 18:57
I also preordered a HTC Vive today. My Preorder of Oculus Rift CV1 is set to ship on June, so I hope Vive Support will come to Project CARS within the next 1-2 month, so I can cancel the Rift, otherwise I will probably stay with the Rift, because I play a lot of Sims that currently ony have Rift Support.

DAS-Problem
29-02-2016, 18:59
YES, i preordered the VIVE too. Please SMS give us a tiny hint, that the VIVE is getting support...
I really dont like Facebook, thats why i choose HTC/VALVE!!!

please please please dont let us wait with the fear in not beeing able to play the Game with the VR we choose.

KenshiHH
02-03-2016, 00:31
still no word? also pre ordered the vive and i really hope pcars will also support the vive

MarshallMcBride
02-03-2016, 10:42
Another Vive preordered here! Please do support Vive for Project Cars!!!

Joe Moore
02-03-2016, 10:49
I think there is no question that it will be supported , SMS are very smart when it comes promoting , have faith VR lovers :)

You know they will also would have ordered one for development, no brainer lol

surtic86
02-03-2016, 11:49
My hope is that they bring the VIVE Support also with the big VR Update for Oculus.

Dzucker
03-03-2016, 04:33
I have both the Vive and Rift on pre-order, both slated to ship in April. So I have to decide soon which one to cancel. I really feel that the Vive is a better overall product and I'm leaning towards it. The only thing holding me back is that I love racing in VR, I have a DK2 and it's works so well with Project Cars (although the framerates could be better :) ) I've yet to see any announcement by Project Cars whether or not they will support the Vive.

According to the SteamVR dev site (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1131-WSFG-3320), they "claim" it's simple to convert your software from the Oculus SDK to the SteamVR SDK.
My game only works with a game pad and Oculus headset. Is it hard to make it work on the Vive too?
It is pretty simple to get your game working on the Vive on Steam. You will want to download the OpenVR SDK and target this for one of your launch options on Steam. It is great if you can make use of the Vive controllers and room-scale in your title, however it is not required to support the Vive and SteamVR.
You can still require a Xinput controller and even target the Rift and Vive simultaneously using OpenVR on Steam. Steam VR supports both the Rift and Vive headsets along with sitting, standing and room-scale experiences using a mixture of input devices. SteamVR is a flexible place for VR!

larsenten
03-03-2016, 15:31
HTC VIVE Gameplay Hands-On - Steam VR - Portal VR, Everest VR & Elite Dangerous (http://www.valavideo.com/htc-vive-gameplay-hands-on-steam-vr-portal-vr-everest-vr-elite-dangerous-rbp8zNOn3Od9qbs.html)

Josko
03-03-2016, 21:18
HTC VIVE Gameplay Hands-On - Steam VR - Portal VR, Everest VR & Elite Dangerous (http://www.valavideo.com/htc-vive-gameplay-hands-on-steam-vr-portal-vr-everest-vr-elite-dangerous-rbp8zNOn3Od9qbs.html)
Thanks for the link. But what is your reason?
Did I miss an information in the video?

surtic86
04-03-2016, 05:44
Thanks for the link. But what is your reason?
Did I miss an information in the video?

Yes you need to download the Video and then extract every 5 frame and with them you have a new vide where project cars is playable with the htc vive :D

no sorry :D i think its just a vide with the vive to show what they can.

Aschmo
07-03-2016, 18:12
I only signed into this forum to bump up this thread :-)

Preordered a Vive, too. And the only thing holding my buddy back from ordering one too, is Project Cars not supporting the Vive yet. He'll be really pissed when Vive support comes before he receives his Vive... soo pleeeaase hurry up :-D

I know that ppl will try to kill me for that (and it is all the way against Vive philosophy): You even could make it a DLC - I'd pay for it.

tfadam
11-03-2016, 15:43
Just like many others, I am also in the market for a VR headset. Since at this point, a VR headset is an expensive purchase, I really hope that we will receive some more feedback from the developers within the coming weeks about their plans for VR, especially regarding SteamVR.

chickenlips
16-03-2016, 14:33
So I am waiting for my pre-ordered Vive to arrive like many others. Has there been any word on support from the devs yet?

Freak_Lord
16-03-2016, 15:25
Oculus support announced, waiting (and praying) for Vive support too...

MarshallMcBride
16-03-2016, 17:07
Oculus support announced, waiting (and praying) for Vive support too...

I really hope that SMS did not make a deal with Oculus excluding HTC Vive. Oculus has done this with some games now (e.g. EVE Valkyrie) and I would really be disappointed not being able to play Project Cars on the Vive.

chickenlips
16-03-2016, 17:59
I asked the devs on twitter and the reply was.. "Not that we can announce just now." Bit vague for my liking. As above, I hope they haven't done a deal with Oculus. These sorts of deals will only harm the future of VR.

RaceNut
16-03-2016, 20:43
It really sounds as though any "exclusivity" is temporary as both Steam and Oculus have said they believe shared titles among competing HMD's is what's needed to help VR get started. VR needs a broad user base and VR titles to draw more interest.

Steam VR should also provide more options to game developers and being that much of the work going to support one HMD benefits support for another; that should reduce reasons for not supporting both systems - at least in time.

virdog
16-03-2016, 23:40
I have no doubt that they will both be great in their own right.

I like playing Project Cars with my DK2 but I pre-ordered the Vive because I want a solid launch package with controllers and all and not a stop-gap VR solution that the Oculus camp has gone with. Also, having used the DK2 for so long I have come to appreciate how immensely beneficial a camera on the front will be when using input devices other than the hand controllers.

I will have to go on faith that Vive support is in the works and I will be able to return to the game once it is so.

Once you go VR you don't go back.

Dzucker
17-03-2016, 00:33
According to Tested, they've made some major VR improvements. https://youtu.be/lD4LF-9ou6E?t=873 I don't understand why they would demo this game using a gamepad?? :(
Hopefully they will still support the DK2. But I really want to know if and when they will support the Vive.

surtic86
17-03-2016, 06:03
I hope they will announce it soon that i can get more hyped about the VIVE :D and i don't need to go back on the DK2 for the next League Racing.

MaximusN
17-03-2016, 09:06
I'm personally slanted towards the OSVR (http://www.osvr.org/). Pricewise it's a lot cheaper and the specs of the base 1.4 system are more than good enough for me. It's the same price as most second hand DK2's. I hope it will get the same support as both(Vive/Rift) other options, so people can choose their own hardware and compatibility won't be a hurdle like with 3D(I keep buying Nvidia because their 3D support is way better(well, there's other reasons, but that is the most important)).

manowar
17-03-2016, 19:22
Im also after the dk2 in the htc vive club up now

This oculus exclusiv deals and hyding of specs and hard ndas makes me angry and sick

Thats not the thing that Palmer(Ballpark) Luckey have stand for in the near past

Im not supporting this proprietary crap more, and have cancel my CV1 order

Im also hoping that the vive is supporting fast in the near future, because she is the better complete system with full specs at all, and primary in the open source area:applouse:

Lee-h
18-03-2016, 03:30
I do hope they choose support the Vive with that camera in the front of it I could see my rig controls :)

manowar
18-03-2016, 07:25
I do hope they choose support the Vive with that camera in the front of it I could see my rig controls :)

Indeed the camera modul ,and the thron mode ,is also a usefull thing , to make a race and not push the headset of and on, if you will chance everything in the rig controls.
Also you have with the htc vive and this optics the wider fov, thats gives you more overview on the side, sure a little more screendoor instead of wider fov,but what is importend?

The last point is a specs that oculus always hide , and nobody should see before the product is out in the field, absolut cheekiness i think for people that have preorder, as same with this motion controller thing

KenshiHH
19-03-2016, 13:34
still no word on vive support?

let me guess, another "exclusive" rift game?

cluck
19-03-2016, 13:48
As I have posted elsewhere, the lack of camera on the Oculus is NOT a barrier to using a rig and button-boxes etc. Just sit where you would normally and practice reaching for the buttons with your eyes shut, you'll be surprised at how quickly you naturally 'feel' where the right buttons are. Let's face it, if you are having to look down at your wheel or your button box, you aren't looking at the track.

For me, personally, I wouldn't want a camera on the front, displaying 'the real world' whilst I'm driving. Nothing would spoil the immersion more, for me, than seeing something that isn't in the virtual world represented by the VR headset.

manowar
19-03-2016, 17:16
Well whats the problem to have a camera , instead of not have a camera, on the unit?

It can always be come a situation ,where you not be able to take a blind step , then you not need to hop in and hop off from the unit, if you have the camera as n option

I see there no issue only advantage, the same with room scale and motion controllers

Better i have the option, as to cock a snook

surtic86
20-03-2016, 06:41
On Reddit:

Voidsheep:

While you are at it, is HTC Vive / SteamVR supported?

StephenIRL

If you're asking about right now, no. Eventually, yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ar9d0/project_cars_in_rift/d15r4sq?context=10000

So i hope they will implement VIVE Support with Update 11 :)

tfadam
20-03-2016, 07:33
Looking at the business practices of Oculus and Facebook, it is pretty safe to assume that the publisher was offered some type of exclusivity deal. Reading between the lines though, there seems to be hope that this is only temporary during the launch of the headsets. It will probably be a while before we will learn what is actually going on, since Oculus has put all their developers under NDAs...

manowar
20-03-2016, 19:56
it is pretty safe to assume that the publisher was offered some type of exclusivity deal. ...

Well if they deal the same way like oculus with this exclusivity bull.... than the first pcars was the last pcars for me

There is absolut no requirements to use the oculus sdk ,instead of the open vr/steam sdk, that can handle all of those awaylable headmounts out there

But i hope this reading betwenn the lines, have to do with, ''gives us a little bit time,it takes a little bit longer to transform the old hdm support, to this open vr sdk''

Nedo
20-03-2016, 22:23
I have absolutely no problem with exlusive stuff. Games are out on the PS4 i cant play on my PC, who should i blame?? 😉
I ordered the Rift and the Vive so i dont care, and i will get the PSVR in october for sure !!
Yes my wive is informed and i got green light hehe 😁

tfadam
21-03-2016, 07:49
Even if you had all the VR hardware in the world at hand, exclusivity still hurts you as a customer. For example, the Crytek game "The Climb" was originally designed with motion controllers in mind, but since it is a Rift exclusive (for which motion controllers are not yet available), players will only be able to play the crippled gamepad version of the game as of now.

This article pretty much sums up the situation:
Nobody wants a VR platform war, but Oculus may start one anyway (http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/virtual-reality-and-exclusivity/)

MaximusN
21-03-2016, 12:18
Even if you had all the VR hardware in the world at hand, exclusivity still hurts you as a customer. For example, the Crytek game "The Climb" was originally designed with motion controllers in mind, but since it is a Rift exclusive (for which motion controllers are not yet available), players will only be able to play the crippled gamepad version of the game as of now.

This article pretty much sums up the situation:
Nobody wants a VR platform war, but Oculus may start one anyway (http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/virtual-reality-and-exclusivity/)

I agree totally no customer at all has an advantage with any exclusivity deals(although fanboys love to boast with it, it doesn't help them). It can only hurt you and make you regret ANY option you purchase because it won't let you do <fill in what the competition has bought off>. That's why I really don't like (console) exclusives. I don't want to invest into multiple platforms to be able play all the games I want. Same goes for VR :( . I wouldn't even mind buying a piece of software(although it shouldn't be needed) for using a VIVE with OR products and a separate piece of software for OSVR(which with it openness wouldn't need it, but for this example). But I won't buy 3 pieces of hardware. It's bad for my wallet and bad for the environment.

Interoperability should be demanded by customers. It will also lead to the manufactures competing on the hardware, not with software-gaps(compare it to the app-gap).

manowar
21-03-2016, 18:18
I have absolutely no problem with exlusive stuff. Games are out on the PS4 i cant play on my PC, who should i blame?? ��
I ordered the Rift and the Vive so i dont care, and i will get the PSVR in october for sure !!
Yes my wive is informed and i got green light hehe ��

Than you maybe have the money to support all the other folks out there , they dont have this ''luck'' like you, to spend in stupide 20 systems?
The pc is the pc because it is n open platform, thats not the place to do such nonsens like ps4/xbox one, certainly not with so expensive hardware like this
And thats also the point because this style is discusting from Oculus word!

I hope enough people realize this, and give them the right answer!

Edit:

Looks like the wind is changing faster than expect

https://twitter.com/RtoVR/status/711607786837250048?lang=de

RaceNut
21-03-2016, 20:00
Well, so far Steam VR is not focused on exclusives but, they do have a lot of titles accessible only through the Steam service so I'm not sure that is much different in the end.

Besides, it sounds as though Steam has as much to do with the decision as Oculus as they both are making demands from one-another in regard to how the HMD's access titles on each others service. Cooperation is a two-way street and they clearly both have issues to sort out but, there is hope and some strong suggestions that VR titles from both services will work with either HMD and more. Oculus Home even has a drop down in the menu for alternate HMD hardware brands although, not fully functional yet.

manowar
21-03-2016, 20:23
Well, so far Steam VR is not focused on exclusives but, they do have a lot of titles accessible only through the Steam service so I'm not sure that is much different in the end.

Dig a little bit deeper ,thats all title that do not work without roomscale, and 360 degree of free movement

All other titles will also perfectly work with steam vr sdk, because this include the open vr sdk if developer support this, which can handle all systems,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48WYYp0Ohs

But title with primary oculus sdk is a dead end for all the other

Sure nobody will say this is the same situation

Gabe Newell, also gives a clear statement ,about this

MaximusN
22-03-2016, 08:44
Dig a little bit deeper ,thats all title that do not work without roomscale, and 360 degree of free movement

All other titles will also perfectly work with steam vr sdk, because this include the open vr sdk if developer support this, which can handle all systems,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48WYYp0Ohs

But title with primary oculus sdk is a dead end for all the other

Sure nobody will say this is the same situation

Gabe Newell, also gives a clear statement ,about this

I took a gamble and ordered the OSVR. Should be able to cope with the SteamVR ecosystem too. I agree Oculus is too closed and Facebook bound for my likes.

RaceNut
22-03-2016, 14:09
I think Oculus are really concerned about providing very good and reliable VR experiences so they have chosen to go the conservative route by focusing on the seated experience first and making sure any title associated with their service meets certain criteria. By releasing those titles in a "controlled and limited (Closed)" way only makes sense from that perspective. It seems Steam/HTC have seized the opportunity by countering that with a fervor of un-official online media exposure and it is working very well thus far but, we are starting to get information that some of the claims made in favor of the Vive are either over-stated or are intentionally meant to put Oculus and/or the Rift CV1 in a bad light.

Some of the things being shared online are blatant mis-information by irresponsible reviewers but, it does remain to be seen how the three big HMD's stack up out in the wild and it will affect sales to some extent. It is unfortunate that Oculus's silence is sometimes viewed as proof that their HMD has serious problems but, information to counter that is slowly starting to emerge as - at least one developer (Involved with all three HMD's), has called BS on some of those claims and has pointed out that the actual differences in hardware and capabilities are very minor.

Soon, there will be "TMI" regarding every VR headset available and we'll have a better picture of the facts and the reasons behind each company's marketing approach. Any game developers that genuinely care about the success of VR should want to support all HMD's where ever possible IMO. Of course, ROI ultimately comes into play and there is much to be revealed about the outcome in coming months/years.

manowar
22-03-2016, 14:38
I think Oculus are really concerned about providing very good and reliable VR experiences so they have chosen to go the conservative route by focusing on the seated experience first and making sure any title associated with their service meets certain criteria. By releasing those titles in a "controlled and limited (Closed)" way only makes sense from that perspective. .

No it makes no sence at all in this way
All other games have specs in the field, that told you will it work with this and this unit/system whatever. Simple quality management works also for the oculus folks,as it works for steam since years
Why is this ''quality thing''always n Oculus only ''problem'' and dont stress steam in the same way,because they sitting in the same boot with this different vr vendors?
You also not cut down other monitor vendor from a game ,because you can not control there specs and quality, did you?
If you buy a 4k monitor ,and this thing will not work in nature resolution with your gpu or game, because the power is not enough, will a rational guy blame the gpu vendor or the game developer for this?
Yes? Than should we fast do, the same thing also on the normal monitor sector, to ''save'' the people for doing stupide things like this

Lets start with dell monitors only can play pcars in a quallity good way. Good idea surely not right?

The only sence is to force people in there private eco system, with there privat hardware, to make bigger deals

Maybe it is not palmers fault, but he is the guy in front of this , and told people such nonsens

MarshallMcBride
24-03-2016, 06:32
Just found an online article (http://www.bild.de/spiele/spiele-news/virtual-reality-spiele/die-besten-virtual-reality-spiele-44972198.bild.html) on a german news site stating that project cars will be available on HTC Vive, which gives me some hope.
But I have to admit that, even though Bild (the name of the news site) is the most read newspaper in germany, I do not have a lot of trust in the accuracy of this news since "Bild" ususally does deliver more sensational journalism with big letters and a lot of "!!!!!!!". They also mark Eve:Valkyrie as an HTC Vive game which as far as I heard has an exclusive deal with Oculus.

surtic86
24-03-2016, 10:00
Yeh "Bild" is not really a good trusted news Site... also the Project Cars Developer had already submit that there is now VIVE Support at Start. Eventually later.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ar9d0/project_cars_in_rift/d15r4sq?context=10000

Robes
31-03-2016, 20:21
So the Vive is out in a few days. I'm lucky enough to have one coming my way, is there any more info on support from Project Cars? Looks to be working a treat on the rift.

31-03-2016, 21:46
So the Vive is out in a few days. I'm lucky enough to have one coming my way, is there any more info on support from Project Cars? Looks to be working a treat on the rift.They're working on it, is just about the only thing they've said.

MaximusN
01-04-2016, 10:52
They're working on it, is just about the only thing they've said.

Will it work through the standard SteamVR API? If so there's a good chance it will work with my OSVR that will arrive halfway through this month :)

01-04-2016, 11:12
Will it work through the standard SteamVR API? If so there's a good chance it will work with my OSVR that will arrive halfway through this month :)You do realize the meaning of "just about the only thing they've said"? It means that the only thing they've said is that they're (or will be) working on it, nothing else is known for certain. =)

MaximusN
01-04-2016, 11:25
You do realize the meaning of "just about the only thing they've said"? It means that the only thing they've said is that they're (or will be) working on it, nothing else is known for certain. =)

I know :) But VIVE support more than halfway implies SteamVR support.

So basically it was sort of a 3/4 rhetorical question, by approximation(I haven't done the maths exactly, too lazy). :D

manowar
02-04-2016, 06:23
Im glad to have a vive as hardware unit

Things going more and more worse

http://uploadvr.com/facebook-oculus-privacy/

Another Zuckerberg data mining cash cow ,and the purchaser sponsor this spy unit even

Win win for Zuckerberg

surtic86
14-04-2016, 08:27
Do you Guy's got your VIVE? Im still waiting but i think next week will be good for delivery :) XX:12 Wave 2 Switzerland.

PS. Luky's Tales is now working on the HTC VIVE. Hope they will get Project Cars working.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ems6t/play_luckys_tale_and_oculus_dreamdeck_on_the_vive/

MarshallMcBride
14-04-2016, 08:46
Do you Guy's got your VIVE? Im still waiting but i think next week will be good for delivery :) XX:12 Wave 2 Switzerland.

XX:11 Germany here. I don't now in what wave I'm in but I could imagine receiving an email today or tomorrow (for your XX:12 order, too), since we already reached XX:10 orders with shipping information received.

Since Eve: Valkyrie and Adrift are already announced for the Vive there is only one game I would be missing at the moment ... something with CARS ... ;-)

Robes
14-04-2016, 16:45
Yes, I have one. Waiting patiently to hear about Vive support. Perhaps it'll be modded in before SMS get to it.

Freak_Lord
15-04-2016, 13:25
Mine left Prague this morning. A shame I'll have to wait till monday to have them.

surtic86
19-04-2016, 12:25
Swiss, CC, :12, got my Shipping Mail Today.

MarshallMcBride
19-04-2016, 12:27
Got mine last Friday. It's just awesome! :-)

Freak_Lord
19-04-2016, 14:26
Yep, can't wait to test THIS with the Vive xD

I'm loving it, such immersion...

RomKnight
19-04-2016, 15:49
Got mine last Friday. It's just awesome! :-)

I must've miss something. Does pCARS works with VIVE?

cluck
19-04-2016, 15:51
I must've miss something. Does pCARS works with VIVE?Nope (at least, not that I'm aware of - there certainly isn't any official support).

The only mention of support for it was in a Reddit post by StephenV back when the Oculus released.

If you're asking about right now, no. Eventually, yes.

crowtrobot
19-04-2016, 15:53
Nope (at least, not that I'm aware of - there certainly isn't any official support).

The only mention of support for it was in a Reddit post by StephenV back when the Oculus released.
Bruno acknowledged it recently on the Steam forums as well:

We're aware of your interest :)

MarshallMcBride
19-04-2016, 20:39
I must've miss something. Does pCARS works with VIVE?

No, this post was just relating to the Vive in general. I wish it would be supported by Project Cars, but I guess only time will tell ;-)

Ramiboo
20-04-2016, 09:00
Errr......

HTC Vive Working in Project Cars (Unofficially of course)

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.3

Don't shoot the messenger........

I'm gutted that Vive owners can do this before my pre-ordered rift has even been made! #OculusShambles

Karaya2
20-04-2016, 10:06
Errr......

HTC Vive Working in Project Cars (Unofficially of course)

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.3

Don't shoot the messenger........

I'm gutted that Vive owners can do this before my pre-ordered rift has even been made! #OculusShambles

Can someone please try this out?

HTC is about to take my money for my HTC VIVE on Friday via CC, so I exspect shipping in the next days. My also preordered Oculus Rift is set to ship between 13.06 - 23.06 so I still have to wait another two month, regardless of preordering on the first day. #ShameOculus

RomKnight
20-04-2016, 10:07
Now looking at selling the 3 screen. If i'm going VR it'll be with vive. I'll wait a bit longer (tim€ is always an issue :D ) but I don't think i'll change my mind.

The sad part is I can't seem to find a way to order to Portugal, WTH???

20-04-2016, 10:11
Now looking at selling the 3 screen.Why would you do that? 3 screens is still fantastic for desktop use. =/

RomKnight
20-04-2016, 10:13
Tim€ issu€s... :D

20-04-2016, 10:17
Ah, well there's that obviously. =)

icebear
20-04-2016, 12:32
Now looking at selling the 3 screen. If i'm going VR it'll be with vive. I'll wait a bit longer (tim€ is always an issue :D ) but I don't think i'll change my mind.

The sad part is I can't seem to find a way to order to Portugal, WTH???

you should try them for real before you make your choice.

I tried P Cars with the vive this morning, thanks to Revive hack.
the visual difference with the Rift is really visible : Image clarity and soft corners

Edit : The revive hack works quite well for the graphic part but the motion tracking is very jerky, at least on my setup

Tim Foster
20-04-2016, 13:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ4EO0ygyPU&feature=youtu.be

Seems to work quite nicely, although the pop-in is atrocious. Is it like that on the Rift (i.e. a problem with pCARS VR) or a consequence of this Vive hack?

RomKnight
20-04-2016, 13:19
Thanks for the input. I won't be changing in the near future though.

I still maintain the position to wait a bit, let it settle, let the reviews and users opinions flow, upgrades(fixes that might come to improve, a.e, the image quality you specify... the works, and then go for it.

And, yes, I MUST try at least one for myself for awhile. The reason being me using glasses and ofc, the sickness I may (or not) get from using it on longer periods of time that can prevent me to even think about it :)

cluck
20-04-2016, 13:27
Seems to work quite nicely, although the pop-in is atrocious. Is it like that on the Rift (i.e. a problem with pCARS VR) or a consequence of this Vive hack?The level of pop-in varies from track to track. On some it is quite noticeable (the bridge on the long straight, with the truck picture, at Road America for example) whilst others I only notice when I look for them. It also varies depending on what detail settings are used.

crowtrobot
20-04-2016, 13:36
@Tim Foster:

As cluck said, it varies from track to track, and from object to object. For the most part it's pretty damn good. It's doubtful the pop-up is a consequence of the Vive hack, they're using an injector in the display, not altering anything in-game.

@SMS:

Any hints on the status of Vive support? I've got my tax refund burning a hole in my pocket :)

Tim Foster
20-04-2016, 16:09
Unfortunately the guy who did the video mentions (in the description) that changing the track quality had no effect on the pop-in, so hopefully it's something SMS can improve going forward assuming it's by design for frame-rates to stay high (particularly once the new nVidia/AMD cards hit the market and can apply more power to the problem).

rosko
20-04-2016, 16:34
surely you can alter the level of detail? I don't like the idea of it doing that by default to keep frames up, I've noticed it on a few videos I have seen & it's awful.

surtic86
21-04-2016, 07:49
I had testet it yesterday night... and the pop-in was on my system havy... was not really fun to play when i think how good it was on my dk2.

hope we get soon a direct SteamVR Support.

Robes
21-04-2016, 08:41
Looking at youtube videos guys with a Rift don't seem to have such aggressive pop-in. I have to say though, it's incredible being inside the car. Really hope for direct support soon.

cluck
21-04-2016, 08:49
Looking at youtube videos guys with a Rift don't seem to have such aggressive pop-in. I have to say though, it's incredible being inside the car. Really hope for direct support soon.As I mentioned earlier (and elsewhere on the forum), the pop-in is quite noticeable at some tracks, whilst at others I barely see it happening (for instance, I ran a few laps of Zolder last night and I only noticed one thing pop-in late enough to notice it).

Whether it will get a fine-tune later, I don't know. Given the higher frame-rates the CV1 and Vive require (compared to the DK2 I have), I'm not surprised there is far more pop-in than we are used to - there is only so much the devs can do.

Like many, though, I'll happily trade a little graphic fidelity for the immersion the headsets provide :).

Robes
21-04-2016, 09:03
Yeah, but the Rift CV1 isn't suffering from the same amount of pop-in as the Vive.

Tim Foster
21-04-2016, 09:30
Yeah, but the Rift CV1 isn't suffering from the same amount of pop-in as the Vive.

I wonder if the pop-in is dynamic and related to FPS?

I'd expect the Rift to by using Async Timewarp (or other such magic) to improve frame-rates, which I'm guessing wouldn't work on the Vive (via the injector).

The true test will be when SMS finally release the native Vive version. I'm hoping this will be when the GOTY version is released in May (if not sooner).

hookman
22-04-2016, 22:40
I've been using this Revive patch myself after coming from a DK2 with interesting results.

There is a lot more pop in at close distances on trackside compared to the version I used to play on the DK2. I haven't played using a DK2 since CV1 support was added though, so I don't know if it's the official patch or the revive patch causing the pop in.

On the plus side, Reprojection works wonders on the Vive.

For a test I tried without reprojection 24 (I think) cars in a thunderstorm at Laguna Seca. The result was much the same as the DK2 used to be, totally unplayable.

I then turned on reprojection in the steam settings and ran the same settings again. It was then perfectly playable. Looking around was 90fps smooth, but the game objects appeared to update at a lower rate (45fps?). All in all it was very comfortable, and is the perfect solution for when you want to run high settings but can't due to the start grid slow down.

leonstone
23-04-2016, 16:43
well, i can see the "openvr_api.dll" in game, and how can i in VR mode?

kpflynn
23-04-2016, 22:02
I've been using this Revive patch myself after coming from a DK2 with interesting results.

There is a lot more pop in at close distances on trackside compared to the version I used to play on the DK2. I haven't played using a DK2 since CV1 support was added though, so I don't know if it's the official patch or the revive patch causing the pop in.

On the plus side, Reprojection works wonders on the Vive.

For a test I tried without reprojection 24 (I think) cars in a thunderstorm at Laguna Seca. The result was much the same as the DK2 used to be, totally unplayable.

I then turned on reprojection in the steam settings and ran the same settings again. It was then perfectly playable. Looking around was 90fps smooth, but the game objects appeared to update at a lower rate (45fps?). All in all it was very comfortable, and is the perfect solution for when you want to run high settings but can't due to the start grid slow down.

What's the reprojection option, and what graphic settings are you running? I just got the patch working but the graphics are..weird. The 'pixels' are extremely noticeable and everything besides the steering wheel is blurry. Thanks!

hookman
23-04-2016, 23:33
I'm not sure what gfx settings I had set, but it looked much like the dk2, so no weird pixels or blurry stuff.

Reprojection is an option within the steam vr settings that affects every game, it's similar to the asynchronous time warp that oculus now has.

kpflynn
24-04-2016, 00:11
I'm not sure what gfx settings I had set, but it looked much like the dk2, so no weird pixels or blurry stuff.

Reprojection is an option within the steam vr settings that affects every game, it's similar to the asynchronous time warp that oculus now has.

Gotcha. I think it may just be maxxing my poor 970 out, as I'm getting the screendoor effect pretty bad. But it's still absolutely amazing.

Mattias
25-04-2016, 07:39
Is Revive considered a "cheat"?
I believe every patch would break Revive though.
Native support shouldn't be hard now when they already have VR implemented for the Rift.

Cancelled my Oculus Rift pre-order in favour of the HTC Vive.
Hopefully I can race with it in pcars once it arrives.

hookman
26-04-2016, 06:34
I don't think it overwrote any files when applied, so I don't see why each patch would break it. My understanding is that it's intercepting rift calls and directing them to the vive instead.

Also I don't know if it can be detected easily for 'cheating' either if that is how it's working?

kidcurry
26-04-2016, 20:35
Are popups cpu limited as well as gpu, cause running overclocked 5775c and is much better with large field than any other cpu I have tried with this game.

Robes
27-04-2016, 12:03
My pop-in is pretty bad for track detail, that's with a 6600K overclocked to 4.2G and an R9 Nano. Adjusting car detail definitely effects the car draw in - I put that on its highest setting and can see cars far further out now - however it doesn't seem to actually affect the detail of the car too much, LOD pop-in is pretty huge on my Vive.

Still, it's a phenomenal experience and I'm really looking forward to trying out Project Cars with official Vive support. Fingers crossed for the near future!!

surtic86
27-04-2016, 14:53
For me the pop-in to irritating that i can enjoy the game... so i still play project cars on my dk2 and hope we get official support soon.

GT-Force
01-05-2016, 04:17
After seeing YouTube videos showing Project Cars VR, I ordered the better VR set currently available: HTC Vive.

To my surprise and disappointment, I've found out that Project Cars does not support Vive :_( This was one game I already owned that I REALLY wanted to play in VR.

So, as many people are asking: When (I am not asking if, keeping things optimistic) will HTC Vive support be available?

I've also been seeing OpenVR being said to be compatible with both Oculus and Vive, so why don't game developers just add OpenVR support?

Thanks.

icebear
01-05-2016, 10:01
Owning both vive and rift, i am not sure the vive is the best headset for PCars. Motion tracking controlers are useless for racing and image quality of the rift is really better (every racing friend who tried my headsets had the same conclusion about that).
However, while the devs are working on vive support, you could give a try to LibreVR Revive software. It seems to works quite good with Pcars and most Vive owners.
Install and use is really easy : https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

GT-Force
02-05-2016, 01:41
Owning both vive and rift, i am not sure the vive is the best headset for PCars. Motion tracking controlers are useless for racing and image quality of the rift is really better (every racing friend who tried my headsets had the same conclusion about that).
However, while the devs are working on vive support, you could give a try to LibreVR Revive software. It seems to works quite good with Pcars and most Vive owners.
Install and use is really easy : https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

I tried LibreVR Revive, and it did not work.

Obviously, you would not be using the motion controllers, but a proper wheel-pedal set, and use Vive only as your display.

Given the fact that both HMDs have the same resolution, and Vive having a wider FOV, how can Oculus be better?

02-05-2016, 05:42
Given the fact that both HMDs have the same resolution, and Vive having a wider FOV, how can Oculus be better?Better optics in the Rift, and wider FOV with the same resolution leads to worse image as well (less pixels per degree).

Here's a compilation of what the guys at Tested were saying about the differences between the Vive and the Rift:

"In my opinion there's really no differentiation between the two in terms of field of view, plus there's a lot of variability in what that field of view is based on how close you wear it to your face. Are you wearing glasses, do you have it set really tight, have it loose... ... so there's a lot of variability in there in any case."

"Putting them on, using an A/B test, having them both in focus, I honestly couldn't tell which one had the wider, or even taller field of view." (Also "there was more variation between the DK1 and the DK2 for instance, but between these two they're very very comparable".)

"I think it's actually very clear that the Oculus' lenses are better for looking around when both are in focus." & "More of the screen is in focus. When you're looking straight ahead more of your periphery just seems to be crisper, and as you look around, move your eyeball around I should say, it just remains in focus longer than it does, for us, on the Vive."

"Oculus does let more ambient light in through the nose gap, you can actually see through the nose gap. It's one of those things that it's there if you notice it, and because there's no camera on it I use that gap to look at my mouse and keyboard, but the Vive has a better seal all the way around."

One of them said that "There's a screen door effect difference between the Rift and the Vive... ... I can notice the subpixels more on the Vive than I can on the Rift." while other guy said that "I would say that they're kind of comparable, but in my experience the Oculus is actually sharper, so I can discern the subpixels a little bit better on that one as individual specs (not entirely sure if he really mean subpixels or pixels), whereas on the Vive they're blurry, they're blurred together, so they tend to blend. However that has a by product of blurring the sharp edges of actual objects, and text in the game, so I think I actually prefer the sharpness of the Oculus display, even though I can discern that screen door effect".

"... I do find it's easier to resolve that small text on the Oculus Rift."

They also really liked the comfort of the Rift a lot more, calling that the biggest difference between the two. Noting that the more rigid strap held the unit in place a lot better with less pressure on the face, and it being considerably lighter as well made a big difference.

"Every time I play a Vive game, 10 minutes in I think to myself 'Boy, I wish I could play this exact same game, with the tracked controllers, but wearing an Oculus Rift. 'Cause it's about the comfort."

Surprisingly they felt like the Oculus' tracking implementation worked more reliably at long ranges than the Vive did, despite Oculus not focusing on room scale that much yet, but overall they didn't come up with a clear concesus of which did it better. They also noted about the controllers (despite Oculus' not being out yet) that they're quite different fundamentally in that the Oculus controllers are designed to replicate having your hands in the game, whereas the Vive's controllers are more like tools you hold. No idea how that difference will pan out in the end since direct comparisons can't be made yet.

Here's a link to the full video, they've been using both sets extensively and doing A/B tests. Overall I don't sense an inherent bias in the video towards either, but their conclusion is that the Rift is significantly nicer to wear and use, and has superior image quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBieKwa2ID0

icebear
02-05-2016, 09:20
yes, optics make a big difference, image clarity overally and sharpness on the corners. The vive corners are really soft, you cant read a cockpit dial without turning your head.
In a night race, you will see the Fresnel concentric circles on the Vive, while the rift hybrid optics will show some god rays.

finagle69
03-05-2016, 00:04
Subjectivity of which headset is better aside, the revive patch definitely works. I'd suggest going on reddit for more assistance getting it going, but really the steps on the github page relating to PCars is 100% accurate if followed to the letter.

GT-Force
03-05-2016, 05:21
Subjectivity of which headset is better aside, the revive patch definitely works. I'd suggest going on reddit for more assistance getting it going, but really the steps on the github page relating to PCars is 100% accurate if followed to the letter.

The instructions are not rocket science: disable a setting, copy a few files, run the game. It did not work. Moreover, installing the Oculus software conflicts with Vive's functionality, so I had to uninstall that pronto. Anyway, way too much hassle. PCars should support Vive; it is simple as that.

GT-Force
03-05-2016, 05:25
Question for people who drove PCars using a VR headset:

I tried LFS as it supports Vive. It is terrible. You can't see more than a few meters ahead, due to low resolution. Is PCars just as bad due to these low res HMDs? I sure hope the answer is no, otherwise I am up for a HUGE disappointment...

Thanks.

surtic86
03-05-2016, 05:35
The instructions are not rocket science: disable a setting, copy a few files, run the game. It did not work. Moreover, installing the Oculus software conflicts with Vive's functionality, so I had to uninstall that pronto. Anyway, way too much hassle. PCars should support Vive; it is simple as that.

Bull****... Oculus Software makes no Conflicts with the VIVE...

But yes they Should Support the VIVE as soon as possible because the Pop-in is really bad with the Revive Patch.

surtic86
03-05-2016, 05:37
Question for people who drove PCars using a VR headset:

I tried LFS as it supports Vive. It is terrible. You can't see more than a few meters ahead, due to low resolution. Is PCars just as bad due to these low res HMDs? I sure hope the answer is no, otherwise I am up for a HUGE disappointment...

Thanks.

Descripe a few meters? Any Braking marks or so? But yes it is so that you not see so much details in the wide with all VR Headsets on the Marked instead of the Monitor.

cluck
03-05-2016, 09:27
None of the VR headsets right now will compete on image clarity with a traditional monitor setup. I suspect we won't see that level of clarity for at least another 2 generations of them (depending on how quickly they update) but that will go in tandem with more powerful PCs aswell. In clarity is your priority, stick with a monitor, you simply do not get it with these first generation VR headsets.

I have a DK2 and I don't notice the lack of detail 99% of the time :).

03-05-2016, 12:33
None of the VR headsets right now will compete on image clarity with a traditional monitor setup. I suspect we won't see that level of clarity for at least another 2 generations of them (depending on how quickly they update) but that will go in tandem with more powerful PCs aswell.Yup, they probably could make the necessary screens even now, but the computing power isn't there yet, there would be only a handful of people with computers powerful enough to run the games at the required resolutions. Even being fairly generous, if you want to match the pixels per degree of a 27" 1080p monitor (too low resolution for such a big screen for many users) at 60 cm away (closer than many have them, making for less pixels per degree) with a ~100 degree FOV headset, you'd need a separate 4K screen for each eye. Hands up everyone who can run games at ~7680x2160 at a constant 90 Hz?

cluck
03-05-2016, 12:34
Yup, they probably could make the necessary screens, but there would be only a handful of people with computers powerful enough to run the games at the required resolutions. Even being fairly generous, if you want to match the pixels per degree of a 27" 1080p monitor (too low resolution for such a big screen for many users) at 60 cm away (closer than many have them, making for less pixels per degree) with a ~100 degree FOV headset, you'd need a separate 4K screen for each eye. Hands up everyone who can run games at ~7680x2160 at a constant 90 Hz?232560

(no, not really, not even close!)

EDIT : Worth noting that you probably need that to be pushing 150fps or more using normal monitors to get close to the 90fps/Hz required for VR :)

fquick
04-05-2016, 03:10
Does anyone have a game settings file to share? I'm getting extreme jutter at the beginning of races then it smooths itself out.

I'm using reVive with a 980ti.

GT-Force
04-05-2016, 03:52
Bull****... Oculus Software makes no Conflicts with the VIVE...

But yes they Should Support the VIVE as soon as possible because the Pop-in is really bad with the Revive Patch.

Oculus software conflicted with Vive running Steam VR on my machine, period. That's all I am saying, as your experience might have been different.

GT-Force
04-05-2016, 03:58
"Descripe a few meters?" (sic)

A meter is the main SI unit for length measurements. In case you're used to Imperial units, one meter is 3.28084 feet. Now you should be able to calculate/visualize what "a few meters" means. Have I described it sufficiently?

Joe Moore
07-05-2016, 02:17
Just came across this .
How to play pCars with HTC Vive , oculus home .
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

http://youtu.be/la-vW6QLKus

Dakpilot
07-05-2016, 09:02
(sic)

A meter is the main SI unit for length measurements. In case you're used to Imperial units, one meter is 3.28084 feet. Now you should be able to calculate/visualize what "a few meters" means. Have I described it sufficiently?

Just to be pedantic it is really a Metre to the majority of the civilised world, :cool: and the definition is the distance travelled by light in a specific fraction (1299 792 458) of a second.

"describe a few meters"

Electricity Meter

Meters in Literature and poetry

Gas meter...etc.

Sorry for off topic humour :o

Cheers Dakpilot

Robes
10-05-2016, 18:03
Have we had any more news? Waiting very patiently for some good news!

:cool:

tfadam
10-05-2016, 20:54
According to some developers over at steamcommunity.com, official HTC Vive support seems to be imminent. :cool:

cluck
10-05-2016, 20:56
According to some developers over at steamcommunity.com, official HTC Vive support seems to be imminent. :cool:Link?

tfadam
10-05-2016, 20:58
Here is the link to the discussion:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/0/405692758722476233/?tscn=1462631393#c357285562484030926

cluck
10-05-2016, 20:59
Excellent :D

Cheers :yes:

Robes
11-05-2016, 10:56
http://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/0/405692758722476233/?tscn=1462631393#c357285562484030926

Great news! Now I'm feeling impatient!

crowtrobot
11-05-2016, 13:47
Very good news indeed!

I have to ask though, why is it that this kind of info always gets distributed from a random post in a steam or reddit discussion, rather than a semi-official response here on the main board?

Vittorio Rapa
11-05-2016, 14:37
That's not random, but our official Steam game forum. Normally here is posted the official change log, so expect one from Stephen "soon".
However if you wanna have the same post here (nor that it changes anything), here's on for you: "It's coming. Not much longer!". :)

Robes
11-05-2016, 15:32
Not much longer for me is a few minutes at the moment. An hour feels like a lifetime away!!! :mushroom:

Ryzza5
11-05-2016, 22:28
Well I'm sure your great-great-great-great grandchildren will love it. ;)

Schadows
12-05-2016, 09:43
Really eager to see what it looks like with native support.
Using Revive was a good experience, but it is still lacking in so many ways n__n

cluck
12-05-2016, 16:04
VR Support has been added in Patch 11 out today (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47082-Project-CARS-PC-Patch-11-0-Release-Notes-HTC-Vive-support-is-here) :yes:

cluck
12-05-2016, 16:18
Please continue HTC Vive discussions in the stickied thread at the top of this section - here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47083-HTC-Vive-Discussion) :)