PDA

View Full Version : Power loss late in race

krawlx
22-07-2015, 17:48
Was doing Formula A race at Nurburgring GP, 67 laps. The first half of the race went well, and the pit stops/tyres were all good. But after a late stop, about lap 50, I noticed a significant loss of straight line speed. At first, everything was fine. Then each lap, from about lap 55 to 67, power started to reduce. I went from topping out about 300kph to barely breaking 250kph. While I was easily getting to 7th gear on the long back straight early in the race, I was barely getting into 6th near the end. Has anyone else experienced this or know why this may have happened?

The tyres from the last pit stop wee at the correct pressure. I did not have any incidents that would have damaged the car. The rear tyres were cold, but that was the same early in the race.

wowbaggerBR
22-07-2015, 18:15
Doing the Le Mans 24H, I came across a similar issue. In my case, the car was touching the floor way too much and I was literally draging through the surface on high speeds. To solve this, I got a new set of tyres, with ridiculously high pressures, giving more clearance at high speeds.

madmax2069
22-07-2015, 18:34
Almost sounds as if the motor was starting to fail.

MrFlibble81
22-07-2015, 18:40
Yeah your motor could have been getting too hot.

Do you have mechanical faults turned on?

krawlx
22-07-2015, 18:47
I do have mechanical failures turned on and wondered if that might be an issue. I didn't notice anything else unusual about the handling of the car. Just that it had less power. If that is the case, how do I monitor engine temps in Formula A? I haven't seen that on any HUD/MOTEC option for that class, but that may mean I just missed it. If it is possible engine failure, anyone have ideas on how I prevent that? Does that just mean going to lift and coast earlier in the race to save the engine for later?

MrFlibble81
22-07-2015, 19:17
I've not raced Formula A so I'm not the best person to ask but I'll try.

I don't know if you can open your radiator more in FA? That might help as it would allow more air into the engine which would help keep it cool.

But yeah other than that you could just try lift and coast earlier.

Like I said, I'm probably not the most qualified person to ask since I've never raced FA but I hope I've at least helped a little.

:D

Fingerbang7227
22-07-2015, 20:28
This sounds like Engine slowly dying, this could be from having your radiator closed too much, or if you happen to be hitting the rev-limit too much when you're shifting, or some other problem!

If the car has a MOTEC screen (actually in the cockpit on the wheel) you can see oil and water temps in one of the screens there, you will need to assign a button though to scroll the different screens (I don't think a button is assigned by default). In GT cars the oil and water temps are on the second screen.

I've read here that your oil and water should be at 100 degrees, in practice though I've seen mine (GT car) go up to between 100-110 without any problems.

ElectricBlues85
22-07-2015, 21:53
None of this has ever effected me but some great info in this thread. I did't know the MOTEC screens were scrollable. If only the DS4 had 16 more buttons I could try all this stuff out.

Defo need to get a wheel sorted.

MrFlibble81
22-07-2015, 22:11
Trouble is if it had more buttons it would wind up being as big as your TV which would be a little impractical! haha

JstnJ
23-07-2015, 02:32
None of this has ever effected me but some great info in this thread. I did't know the MOTEC screens were scrollable. If only the DS4 had 16 more buttons I could try all this stuff out.

Defo need to get a wheel sorted.

Plug in your computer keyboard to your ps4. Problem solved homie.

krawlx
23-07-2015, 11:33
The Formula A cars don't have a MOTEC on par with the GT cars. There is some info available via two very small LED outputs butbthey don't show any of the temps. But good advice on being careful with the rev limits. Thanks!

fa-racing
23-07-2015, 16:59
Was your car visually damaged? As the f1 cars slow down when they have their aerodynamics damaged.

krawlx
26-07-2015, 03:57
Nope. The car should have been fine aero wise. I did have contact earlier in the race but an earlier pit stop fixed that. After the last pit there was no contact incident.