PDA

View Full Version : The Belgian GT3 Challenge - BMW Z4 GT3 - Zolder

choupolo
24-07-2015, 10:49
I'm giving this one a go from the beginning, although not sure how much time I'll get to spend on it over the next week. (PS4, gamepad)

Unfortunately there are cuts at just about every corner on Zolder! So it'll be hard to tell how good your clean lap actually is relative to the top times without looking at each ghost. Top time currently stands at a 1:29.494 on PS4.

It's also very hard to hit your marks and stay within the track limits while pushing it. There's nothing more frustrating than having a half second delta before just cutting one of the final corners by a few centimetres! Instead, it's easy to be quite conservative as a result and lose a lot of time that way.

Setup is crucial again - a lot of fast sweepers mixed with some quick changes of direction in the chicanes which can be taken with some momentum if you can keep the car's rear stable.

So far I have a 1:31.062 being as clean as I could. If I can tame the rear and keep the power down through the chicanes this will come down. Also have 0 downforce at the moment, but I made this mistake before so will see if high downforce enables me to take the first corners in a higher gear.

Let me know if you're trying this and share your tips! :D

HenTheKing
24-07-2015, 12:29
Anyone else noticed the massive frame rate drops around the circuit with ghosts on xbox? Its lagging majorly at the chicane in the middle of the circuit. Also, having trouble saving my times as well as game keeps freezing.

EMW Simmo
24-07-2015, 19:10
I'm giving this one a go from the beginning, although not sure how much time I'll get to spend on it over the next week. (PS4, gamepad)

Unfortunately there are cuts at just about every corner on Zolder! So it'll be hard to tell how good your clean lap actually is relative to the top times without looking at each ghost. Top time currently stands at a 1:29.494 on PS4.

It's also very hard to hit your marks and stay within the track limits while pushing it. There's nothing more frustrating than having a half second delta before just cutting one of the final corners by a few centimetres! Instead, it's easy to be quite conservative as a result and lose a lot of time that way.

Setup is crucial again - a lot of fast sweepers mixed with some quick changes of direction in the chicanes which can be taken with some momentum if you can keep the car's rear stable.

So far I have a 1:31.062 being as clean as I could. If I can tame the rear and keep the power down through the chicanes this will come down. Also have 0 downforce at the moment, but I made this mistake before so will see if high downforce enables me to take the first corners in a higher gear.

Let me know if you're trying this and share your tips! :D Not even worth it lol, straightlining everything 27 on xbox already cutting chicanes, oh well new patch soon :)

RTA nOsKiLlS
24-07-2015, 19:55
Not even worth it lol, straightlining everything 27 on xbox already cutting chicanes, oh well new patch soon :)

Laguna Seca isn't much better. 1st 4 turns, 6th turn, Corkscrew, 2nd to last turn running wide, last turn, and running wide after the last turn.

LOL

K9recon
24-07-2015, 20:07
I would have enjoyed reading what will probably end up a very interesting thread about the Z4 round this rather tricky track,not another same old moan about cuts etc.The lad has already mentioned the obvious cuts,lets hear about some set ups i'm stuck at 1.33.s,and cuts or no cuts this is still an exellent race sim,i've played a few my first computer was a ZX81.Set up help would be great input.

kjay
24-07-2015, 20:10

EMW Simmo
24-07-2015, 20:51
Laguna Seca isn't much better. 1st 4 turns, 6th turn, Corkscrew, 2nd to last turn running wide, last turn, and running wide after the last turn.

LOL

Yeah still not perfect but not a 1-4 sec gained track prob a couple of tenths at most.

gmanzaa
25-07-2015, 06:19
It's nice to know a legit time. Every ghost I've used on the leader board has cut. I'm at low 1.33 and I know I can cut another second + off, just need to string it all together! Good car and good track can't understand why people would post times that aren't legit. To me they just look stupid

choupolo
25-07-2015, 10:46
I'm enjoying the challenge. If we can't trust the in-game leaderboard, at least we can have our own clean TT on here!

I'm sure that a low 1:30 is possible with the right setup.

The key I have found is keeping minimum speed up by even a few mph through the first three long sweepers and carrying it through, can gain over a second compared to a traditional slow in fast out strategy. Brake enough but come off early to roll speed in, make sure you get to the apex so you can get back on full power early without going wide. Look through the corner to make it easier to hit the apex at the right angle. My gears are 4th for turn 1, 3rd for turn 2 and 4th for turn 3, trying to reduce steering angle as much as possible.

Then the first chicane I take in 3rd so that I don't slow too much, and try to carry as much momentum as I can by straight lining it as much as I can between the left and right apexes, while keeping two wheels over the white lines. It's eye of the needle stuff!

The second chicane I take in 2nd but again try not to slow too much, only enough to be able to turn around the right apex then left to setup the exit with a straight car. Can gain a lot of time by keeping some momentum up without compromising power down for the right hand exit. Can be easy to carry too much speed, tighten the exit too much going wide after the 2nd apex, then losing the back towards the exit. Also tempting to cut across the large flat kerbs!

The next right hander is always tighter than I think and easy to be too eager and go wide to dirty the lap and all that hard work! So I focus on braking hard and slowing enough to 2nd gear, turn it round the apex and get full power down.

Final chicane again I brake hard to 2nd and turn it round the first apex to keep it left, then I can put full power down before the second apex to finish.

A nerve-racking lap! :D

Setup-wise I'll try to post it later - but generally I'm using close to 0 alignment and downforce. Kept rear toe at 0.2. Lowest ride height with rear 10mm higher, stiffest front and softer rear. Softest rear sway and stiffer front. Soft rear damper and stiff front. Gears set to max 6th at the end of the first straight. 0 radiator and brake ducts, and minimum brake mapping. LSD low accel and medium decel/preload.

Using bumper cam and all assists on a gamepad. Also have my speed sensitivity under controller settings to about 75 - so quite high. This helps through the fast sweepers as you scrub tyres less.

Use my ghost and check I haven't gone over any lines unintentionally! I usually start the lap again if I know Ive put a wheel out even a little and gained time. Hard to throw away a 0.7 delta sometimes!

Itothans
30-07-2015, 02:13
I attempted this last night, spent a couple hours learning the track/tuning the car and the best I can do is low 1:33s.

I have absolutely no idea how people get 1:27 (top time on PC). There's not much point in having these events if people are gonna cheat.

I think assists and camera should be locked as well but that's another topic.

choupolo
30-07-2015, 13:45
Certainly the top few on PS4 are all cutting the first chicane without slowing down at all, gaining at least 2 seconds there, with a further second or two in the 2nd chicane and penultimate right hander.

I'm in front of the top ghost up until braking for the 1st chicane and then they're gone! :P

mikadri
30-07-2015, 15:17
Certainly the top few on PS4 are all cutting the first chicane without slowing down at all, gaining at least 2 seconds there, with a further second or two in the 2nd chicane and penultimate right hander.

I'm in front of the top ghost up until braking for the 1st chicane and then they're gone! :P

I need to correct you here.You can not cut first chicane without slowing down.
With my gearing you must use a low 6.th or a high 5.th gear :cool:

choupolo
30-07-2015, 17:18
I need to correct you here.You can not cut first chicane without slowing down.
With my gearing you must use a low 6.th or a high 5.th gear :cool:

I stand corrected! :D I'm using low 3rd lol.

Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against cutting. I was doing it myself on the LeMans challenge. I'm just experimenting to see how close I can get with a clean lap.

mikadri
30-07-2015, 17:32
I'm just experimenting to see how close I can get with a clean lap.

All respect for that:yes:
You should try and go for the Kiwi/Leguna.Canīt say Iīve used any very illegal cuts on that 1