PDA

View Full Version : The (american) football thread.

MrFlibble81
26-07-2015, 13:19
So, what's your team and hopes for the upcoming season?

Me. I'm a Dolphins fan and have been my whole life. After living through all the lows with my team for the last 20 odd years (since Marino retired. And yes, even the 2008 trip to the playoffs cuz they didn't deserve to be there) things are finally starting to look up.

Had a good off-season with a great free agency period, filled plenty of holes on the roster. Had a great draft nabbing who I believe to be the best receiver to come out of college since Calvin Johnson.

The only thing that worries me is the guard position but I'm hoping that gets filled and sorted out once the roster cuts begin.

I'm fully expecting Miami to make the playoffs this year cuz the talents there and the team is ready for it.

So who's your team? What are your hopes this year?

Umer Ahmad
26-07-2015, 13:29
Da Bears.

Got rid of that retarded GM last year, the cleanup continues this year. Will be shocked if we even make the playoffs. Need to unload our QB (Cutler), guy has not been earning his paycheck at all.

MrFlibble81
26-07-2015, 13:39
I've never been a fan of Cutler. Always thought he was overpaid, he's got by with great receivers making him look good.

Schnizz58
26-07-2015, 17:01
Saints are my team but I've always liked the Dolphins too. Was a big fan of Marino and hated that he never won a Super Bowl. He's every bit as good as Montana who has, what like 17 of them? Anyway, now the Fins have Juice Landry and I wish him and them all the best. Unless they play New Orleans.

TheReaper GT
26-07-2015, 17:05
Patriots, but just because I'm ole Boston whore. :P

theZOGster
26-07-2015, 17:46
The Pats secondary is awful as it stands right now. It pisses me off that the Pats have so many opportunities to really establish themselves as one of the best teams in NFL history, but they feel the need to nickel and dime their players.

Belichick does get a lot out of his players but how many more championships would they have if they just signed some of their own players. Revis and Browner are gone, in the years past they've let Taliban, Samuels all sign with other teams. I don't see any equally skilled players available to help the defense.

I know NFL rules favor offense, and the Pats have had one of the best offenses for the past 5-6 years, but they seem to try to get by with some really slipshod defense using cast-offs and unknowns year after year.

lezuz
26-07-2015, 18:53
i always think...why do you call it "football" if its mostly played using the hands...no offense. would be properly called "american rugby"

Schnizz58
26-07-2015, 19:23
The Pats secondary is awful as it stands right now. It pisses me off that the Pats have so many opportunities to really establish themselves as one of the best teams in NFL history, but they feel the need to nickel and dime their players.

Belichick does get a lot out of his players but how many more championships would they have if they just signed some of their own players. Revis and Browner are gone, in the years past they've let Taliban, Samuels all sign with other teams. I don't see any equally skilled players available to help the defense.

I know NFL rules favor offense, and the Pats have had one of the best offenses for the past 5-6 years, but they seem to try to get by with some really slipshod defense using cast-offs and unknowns year after year.
I think the Patriots have actually been pretty savvy about not overpaying players and not hanging on to players that are past their prime. Managing the salary cap in today's NFL is as important as game-planning and coaching. Belichick is a good enough coach that he doesn't need top shelf players to get good results. I've always said that it's usually a bad idea to pick up cast-off Patriot players because they're probably not as good as they looked in that system and they'll probably want too much money.

i always think...why do you call it "football" if its mostly played using the hands...no offense. would be properly called "american rugby"
It's a legit question but I'm not sure anyone really knows the answer. Best I can come up with is that you used to score points by kicking the ball. Then the touchdown was invented. Then the forward pass. And the game was never the same after that. But you're absolutely right that it has more in common with rugby than football/soccer. Too late to change it now though.

theZOGster
26-07-2015, 20:59
I don't think Assante Samuels was actually "worth" the money he was looking for, but if you look at the replacements they got to take his place it just seems like a wasted opportunity. When they lost Talib is was made a moot point by signing Revis, but now he's gone, too.

The Pats have been a good team for a decade which is more than any other team in the league can boast. Being cautious with salaries probably kept them that way, but it just seems to me that they have a very rare opportunity to really drive a stake into NFL history. Players like Brady don't come around every year so they need to capitalize when they can.

Easy for me to say from my perspective but this past decade seems to have given the Pats some real shots at making some unique NFL history, but they've covetted a few measly sheckels more.

MrFlibble81
27-07-2015, 13:30
I don't think Assante Samuels was actually "worth" the money he was looking for, but if you look at the replacements they got to take his place it just seems like a wasted opportunity. When they lost Talib is was made a moot point by signing Revis, but now he's gone, too.

The Pats have been a good team for a decade which is more than any other team in the league can boast. Being cautious with salaries probably kept them that way, but it just seems to me that they have a very rare opportunity to really drive a stake into NFL history. Players like Brady don't come around every year so they need to capitalize when they can.

Easy for me to say from my perspective but this past decade seems to have given the Pats some real shots at making some unique NFL history, but they've covetted a few measly sheckels more.

I'm not a Pats fan by any stretch of the imagination (mostly cuz I'm a Phins fan so....) but say what you like Bellichick, but he's a dam good coach! Always get's the best out of his players and he's built that team 100% around Brady. The trouble is his and Brady's legacy is always going to built on a damaged reputation (thanks to spygate and deflategate -- Every team/player does this, it's stupid to assume they don't) which they're never going to fully get back.

The deflated football stuff is a whole load of BS though but the NFL need a fall guy for it so that's going to be Brady. I'm secretly hoping Brady gets at least the 4 game suspension just because it'll make Miami's life a bit easier! lol.

Umer Ahmad
27-07-2015, 13:40
Pats = Cheaters

Every one their wins has an asterisk (*) next to it in my book.

Video-gate
Deflate-gate

These chumps get caught red-handed and the league barely does anything. Bellicheck should suspended for at least 2 years. Looks what they did to coach Sean Payton of the Saints, and that was not even on-field cheating (i do not condone what the Saints did that year, i am just making a comparison. You can have a different opinion about it)

MrFlibble81
27-07-2015, 14:00
I think Sean Payton's punishment was too harsh. Every team has some sort of bounty system, maybe not to the same extent as them but I think they all have one.

As for deflate gate. Every team inflates their footballs to a different pressure, some QB's have admitted as much and honestly. In that Championship against the Colts, it made no difference, the Colts never showed up for that game, a high school team would have played better.

Really they have done nothing that any other NFL team would/has done before imo.

I can't believe I'm defending the Patriots and I fuc***g hate the Patriots!! Especially as they're division rivals! Lol.

But credit where it's due, they got a dam good team until Brady retires, the BB retires with him and the Pats go back to mediocrity.

Schnizz58
27-07-2015, 15:21
I think Sean Payton's punishment was too harsh. Every team has some sort of bounty system, maybe not to the same extent as them but I think they all have one.
You won't get much argument from me. Thing is that the "bounty" wasn't even done by the team. The team knew about it and did nothing to stop it but it was the players putting up money in a pool and if you got a "cart off" you'd win the prize money. But here's the thing that seems to get overlooked: it had to be a legal hit to win the money. So players were paying each other out of their own pockets for legal hits that took players out of games. That's a completely different beast from teams giving players bonus money for deliberately injuring opponents.

As for deflate gate. Every team inflates their footballs to a different pressure, some QB's have admitted as much and honestly. In that Championship against the Colts, it made no difference, the Colts never showed up for that game, a high school team would have played better.
Completely agree. The most disappointing thing about spy-gate, deflate-gate, etc. is that Bellichick is better than that. He will go down as one of the best coaches ever, right up there with Halas, Landry, Lombardi & Shula and he doesn't need to cheat to do that.

xautos
27-07-2015, 18:01
american football huh? lets see, you got NY red bulls, LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes, New England Revolution... seems football is a growing thing in the usa now.

TheReaper GT
27-07-2015, 18:42
american football huh? lets see, you got NY red bulls, LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes, New England Revolution... seems football is a growing thing in the usa now.

It is, even Kaka is there :D:D New england revolution is my favorite, boston whore all over.. auhahuua

Micas
27-07-2015, 20:33
So, what's your team and hopes for the upcoming season?

Cowboys, 14-2, Super Bowl championship.

MrFlibble81
27-07-2015, 20:44

Hahaha! That's a joke right?

Micas
27-07-2015, 20:46
I suspect by your flippant and douchey reply that my pointing out anything that suggests I'm totally serious will be wasted on you.

MrFlibble81
27-07-2015, 21:16
No listen I work with a bunch of Cowboys fans so I'm always talking smack about them. Didn't mean anything by it.

In all seriousness I actually think they'll have a good season even without Demarco Murray, you have a really good OL so I think any RB can put up decent numbers in Dallas. Good QB and a great WR in Dez Bryant and good WR's on the other side too.

You have a good chance to make the Superbowl. I just hope you don't cuz I don't want to hear it every day here at work for months afterwards! lol

TheReaper GT
27-07-2015, 21:20
This is a football thread, smack and trash talk are a fundamental part of it. :D:D

Schnizz58
27-07-2015, 21:30
you have a really good OL so I think any RB can put up decent numbers in Dallas.
Ugh...you can say that again. It drives me insane that they were able to get La'el Collins for next to nothing.

MrFlibble81
27-07-2015, 21:39
Man you aint lying! Was he signed as a FA or did he enter the supplemental draft?

Either way it's a bargain! And I have to say that as a Dolphins fan it hurts that they didn't try get him (they tried but failed) just so we could slot him in at the guard position.

Say what you like about Dallas but the way they have drafted and built that O line it's amazing ever get's sacked.

Still I'm sure when Miami play them Suh, Wake and Vernon will find a way to get him!!

Schnizz58
27-07-2015, 21:41
He was an UDFA. If he lives up to expectations, when his rookie contract is up he'll get paid (hopefully by another team). I give Dallas a lot of credit for turning what was a weak link two years ago into a strength. Tony Romo's life insurance premium probably dropped in half, lol.

Micas
27-07-2015, 22:17
Current Vegas odd;

Seattle Seahawks 11/2
Green Bay Packers 6/1
Indianapolis Colts 8/1
New England Patriots 9/1
Denver Broncos 13/1
Dallas Cowboys 14/1

I really think you can stick pretty much anybody in the cowboys backfield and they'll get 2000 yards. Murray was over-rated as he fumbled a ridiculous amount, and as Emmit Smith pointed out, he'd try and run guys over instead of juking for extra yards. The line-backers are improved with Sean Lee coming back, and I think he's going to play the weak side instead of getting hammered in the middle. Rolando McClain is a beast. He just needs to stay on the field. The weak spot was and is the secondary. Brandon Carr was terrible last year, and Mo Claiborn is a bust. Scandrick is the best corner on the team though, but he's better in the slot. The pass rush will be improved so that might take some pressure off the secondary. The kicker is awesome, but the return game and special teams is not as good with Dwayne Harris leaving.

Dez Bryant is a freak, but he's not particularly very smart. The controversial non-catch against GB last year wouldn't have been an issue if he had just secured the ball and gone to the ground instead of stretching for the goal line. I've seen the ball get punched out of his hands because he won't get down when DB's stand him up for a gang bang. You can admire the determination to score, but Dez doesn't have an awareness of the game situation. First and 10 at the 1 yard line with the best O line in the league is much better than juggling the ball while rolling into the end-zone.

I made a video demonstrating the touchdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6m5hlhg_BE

theZOGster
28-07-2015, 01:25
Pats = Cheaters

Every one their wins has an asterisk (*) next to it in my book.

Video-gate
Deflate-gate

These chumps get caught red-handed and the league barely does anything. Bellicheck should suspended for at least 2 years. Looks what they did to coach Sean Payton of the Saints, and that was not even on-field cheating (i do not condone what the Saints did that year, i am just making a comparison. You can have a different opinion about it)

If you can explain the exact nature of the Spygate offense, we're all ears. So many people have this wrong it's almost not worth hearing it from them.

So, let's hear your version of it.

Everyone pushes the rules in the NFL. Jerry Rice admits to using illegal gloves and stickum, yet people seem to let that go because Rice is perceived as a nice guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2356830-jerry-rice-admits-to-using-illegal-stickum-on-gloves-during-career

He may be a nice guy, but he pushed the rules and admits it on a national sports network broadcast.

The Steelers pump their defense full of illegal steroids in the '70s, yet no-one says a word. Steroids were not against the rules in the NFL at the time, but they were illegal in the United States.

The Denver Broncos circumvent the NFL salary cap, and nobody whines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

The Indianappolis Colts pump fake noise into their stadium sound system, yet because they choke year after year in the playoffs no one seems to care.

People who complain about the Pats cheating are just people looking to be angry at anything, or have a very selective memory.

Spygate? An employee of the Pats stands on the sideline and tapes what 60,000 other people can see. He does it in plain view of the officials, the other team and the fans and the crux of the situation? It was illegal to video FROM THAT SPOT ON THE FIELD. Is it breaking the rules? Yes it is, and the Pats were fined and lost a first round draft pick. Did it help the Pats win the Super Bowl? Come on, let's be realistic here.

Deflategate? We're talking about air pressure in a football. Footballs that weren't meausred properly to begin with. Aaron Rodgers admits he likes the balls as high as possible. If anything this points to incompetent enforcement of the rules. Did Brady lie about knowing about it? Perhaps, but he (like most rational people) probably didn't think it was that big a deal.

4 Super Bowls in the era of free agency.
An undefeated regular season ruined by a miraculous play by the Giants (and good for them, they made the play they deserved to win. You can't take that away from them).
Six Super Bowl appearances in the past 10 years.

There are always going to be cry babies and people who harbor hatred towards any team that's not wearing the laundry of their liking. That's football. You win, you lose, life goes on.

MrFlibble81
28-07-2015, 02:02
Well said sir.

I hate them bec they're division rivals not because they're winners. I want nothing more than Miami to kick their ass every time we play them but they've been a powerhouse for the last decade.

Belichick and co have done a trmendous job with that team there's no denying it. But people will always associate at least 2 of their superbowls with cheating so their legacy is tainted. Its total bs but that's just the way it is.

theZOGster
28-07-2015, 02:32
I think people need to understand that there are some good players and coaches in the league, and not of them wear their favorite choice of laundry. Even the players show respect for one another on the field, and after the game.

I'm a hockey fan most of all, but not just one team. I follow several teams and I love admiring heat plays. The best part of NHL playoff hockey is that after two teams beat the snot out of each other for 7 or so games they line up, look each other in the eye and show their respect for the game.

Enjoy football for what it is, a fantastic team sport with huge, fast players and a chess-like complexity that can be talked about and examined all year round.

theZOGster
28-07-2015, 02:34
Well said sir.

I hate them bec they're division rivals not because they're winners. I want nothing more than Miami to kick their ass every time we play them but they've been a powerhouse for the last decade.

Belichick and co have done a trmendous job with that team there's no denying it. But people will always associate at least 2 of their superbowls with cheating so their legacy is tainted. Its total bs but that's just the way it is.

I remember all too well how long the Pats couldn't beat the 'Fins in Miami for decades. Every game against them was an automatic "X" in the loss column.

MrFlibble81
28-07-2015, 02:43
Yeah and it's been the other way srou d for Yeats now. But the tides are turning. And Miami are becoming a much better team so I think the pats reign is coming to an end. I mean Brady can't play forever, right?

Micas
28-07-2015, 03:25
I'm a hockey fan most of all, but not just one team. I follow several teams and I love admiring heat plays. The best part of NHL playoff hockey is that after two teams beat the snot out of each other for 7 or so games they line up, look each other in the eye and show their respect for the game.

I watched the NHL finals this year and it reminded me of Olympic style hockey. Sure, the puck handling is impressive but they most certainly do not 'beat the snot out of each other'. This is a beating;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsc41szSwLM

I was at that game. It was brutal, and JR just got right back on his feet and went and changed his teeth out and came back out on the ice. Today, the player would be hospitalized for a month.

It's also ridiculous the way teams are stuffing the largest goal-tender they can find in the net. Their puck handling is attrocious and rebounds abound.

... while youtube was playing videos, a fight between Roenick and Bob Probert came up. There's hardly a player in the league now that would stand up to Bob Probert.

theZOGster
28-07-2015, 12:50
The Ducks\Hawks was a war zone. Not sure what series you watched.

I agree with the goalie situation. Not only are those freaks huge, but they wear what amounts to a living room couch on both legs and have cavernous catchers mitts. You could fit two human beings in the uniforms they wear, too.

People want to make the nets bigger, which is stupid. Limit the size of the pads the goalies wear. It's as simple as that.

MrFlibble81
28-07-2015, 18:45
Brady is still going to have to serve his 4 game suspension! It's BS but good for my Dolphins! Go Phins!

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/28/patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-suspension-appeal-deflategate?xid=si_social

WhoosierGirl
28-07-2015, 19:15
Ray Rice was suspended 2 games for hitting his girlfriend before "the video", Greg Hardy was convicted of assaulting his girlfriend by a judge "before paying her off" while appealing the conviction and gets 4 games. So in the NFL beating a woman is of equal or lesser importance than the PSI of a football, wow just wow :(

Hardy, Holder said, flung her from the bed, threw her into a bathtub, then tossed her on a futon covered with rifles. Holder said Hardy ripped a necklace he had given her off her neck, threw it into a toilet and slammed the lid on her arm when she tried to fish it out.
The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Hardy dragged her by the hair room to room, she said, before putting his hands around her throat.
“He looked me in my eyes and he told me he was going to kill me,” said Holder, 24, who said she used to live with Hardy.

“I was so scared I wanted to die. When he loosened his grip slightly, I said, ‘Just do it. Kill me.’ ”

MrFlibble81
28-07-2015, 19:49
This is what Roger Goodell uses to hand out punishments.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/07/28/roger-goodell-random-nfl-punishment-generator?xid=si_social

Pretty sure Sports Illustrated is just trolling him now...

theZOGster
29-07-2015, 00:59
How can Goodell be good for the league? He's an incompetent, empty suit. He's so bent on showing his authority that he'd pursue this BS with the Pats. How far can he carry this out? At what expense? He butchered the Ray Rice situation, screwed the pooch on the Adrian Petterson fiasco and is doing the same with this scumbag Hardy.

Both sides made some stupid mistakes, exhibited unbridled hubris and failed to negotiate themselves out of this cluster f*ck. if this isn't an example of the elite tossing money around like it was Monopoly money, then I don't know what would be considered such.

It makes watching these games a lot less appealing.

Birdman
29-07-2015, 03:01

Drugs are bad mmmkayyy...saying that as a die hard Bills fan. Lets go Buffalo

MillsLayne
29-07-2015, 03:06
LIONS! Though, after looking at our upcoming schedule, I'm not sure this will be a great year. I'm hoping to sneak into the playoffs with one of the wild cards.

Micas
29-07-2015, 08:03
Drugs are bad mmmkayyy...saying that as a die hard Bills fan. Lets go Buffalo

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/cutigerbob/dean-wormer-meme-generator-fat-drunk-and-stupid-is-no-way-to-go-through-life-son-730e05_zps92dcac31.jpg

BTW.. all things considered (http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr), Romo was the best QB in 2014 and should have won MVP.