PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Oculus DK2 testing and performance issues

TrevorAustin
29-07-2015, 09:39
So,

In my last set of testing I came to the conclusion that with my Rift and 980Ti I was heavily CPU bottlenecked. Not a widely held view :)

However I have now upgraded to X99 and a 5820 (I chose the 5820 in the end as all the reviews I found showed it overclocking to a higher speed, running cooler and a lower voltage and decided if I had 6 cores the speed of those was more important than PCI lanes) It overclocked within about 5 minutes to exactly the same as the hardOCP review of the 5xxx series and runs 10 degrees cooler than my 4.9Ghz 4790. So all good.

Then I loaded up my test scenario, 24 cars, Oreca Nissan Le Mans, 1pm clear day. The best I got that to on mainly high settings was a little judder (approx 47FPS on the start line) and then with 24 cars, locked 75 as I cleared the grandstands, with a little judder each time I crossed the start finish.

However with the 5820 absolutely delighted to see no judder at all! And the 980Ti up from 50% use to 68%

So I raised it to 30 cars, exactly the same! But 75% GPU use:) now I was getting very pleased with my decision. Turned the crowds back on and still no judder! Up to 40 cars and I got the same judder as 24 cars with the 4790 with the added bonus of having the crowds back on:)

I'm really very pleased with the results of this. It was exactly what my tests indicated would happen. My GPU still doesn't get maxed but I'm pretty sure that is down to rift runtime issues as in 2D playing I can max it easily in 4K or triples with the right settings. However the GPU is running at about 20% higher than it was. With the next patch, windows 10 and win 10 nvidia drivers and win 10 Oculus runtime I'm pretty sure I can max this at Ultra settings.

My Firestrike score only went up a little bit, my 2 graphics scores were almost identical, but my physics score went up 30%, so about a 1000 overall. The PCars/Rift performance went up a LOT more than than that.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that P Cars in combination with the Rift is currently heavily CPU limited.

presuming ed
29-07-2015, 10:07
Thanks for posting this. Just have to hope forthcoming optimisations give attention to CPU performance as well as GPU as I can't afford to upgrade my 4790k right now!

ctd
29-07-2015, 14:38
Thank you Trevor.

I was planning to buy a 4790 and a Asus ROG VII Hero mobo for my next uppgrade, but have to reconsider now. One thing with the Asus Hero mobo I was interested in was the audio features. If I recall right you had one yourself Trevor. What do you think? Do you miss that part in your system?

TrevorAustin
29-07-2015, 16:24
Thank you Trevor.

I was planning to buy a 4790 and a Asus ROG VII Hero mobo for my next uppgrade, but have to reconsider now. One thing with the Asus Hero mobo I was interested in was the audio features. If I recall right you had one yourself Trevor. What do you think? Do you miss that part in your system?

Its a great board, still got, being sold to another wmd member down south:) Without the rift killing it it was more than adequate, but with the rift..well you can see the difference, and I don't miss the sound at all, but I am probably a little unsual here. I listen to the game either through the TV HDMI from the GPU sound or in USB headphones, and I have founhd it nothing less than brilliant at all volumes. I only use the onboard to drive simvibe.

And for interest a few more tests, my settings have now gone WAY up with the today's released 353.62 driver.

I was having to use the settings on the left to get 75 FPS locked for 90% of Le Mans, 30 cars in the oreca Nissan, a little judder through the trees after the 360 deg bend and at the start line. No NVidia Inspector add ons.

Now I can use the ones on the right PLUS NVIDIA Inspector 4*SGSS, Maxwell AA, transparency AA, all set to add to game settings, plus crowds back on! Plus the GPU is no more than 68% used while locked at 75, so time to add more cars:) After more testing, I can use these settings with 40-45 cars locked at 75 except a few seconds in the grandstands, and full rain with 20-25 cars. Looks incredible.

RaceNut
29-07-2015, 19:03
I hope you're right about possible improvements in Win10 with DK2. I have a GTX 980Ti coming next week; just waiting on Oculus to release an update for Win10 before upgrade.

TrevorAustin
29-07-2015, 19:24
I hope you're right about possible improvements in Win10 with DK2. I have a GTX 980Ti coming next week; just waiting on Oculus to release an update for Win10 before upgrade.

I believe/hope there is a big oculus improvement in the next p cars patch, a wddm 2.0 rift compatible mode could be another 20% and i am certain there is a lot of optimising up that can be done with win 10 and oculus. I can genuinely imagine a 50% improvement over the next 3 months

Naz
30-07-2015, 08:32
Nice work as always Trevor.

I was always expecting a full upgrade to be a consideration once the Rift went fully retail so was intending to look at the options of doing so then. Your findings bear that out...I'll wait until then though and hopefully at that time all the various runtimes, drivers and games/applications will be in a better state to help the experience further.

Thanks for being such a good guinea pig!

:)

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 10:09
Nice work as always Trevor.

I was always expecting a full upgrade to be a consideration once the Rift went fully retail so was intending to look at the options of doing so then. Your findings bear that out...I'll wait until then though and hopefully at that time all the various runtimes, drivers and games/applications will be in a better state to help the experience further.

Thanks for being such a good guinea pig!

:)

Lol, what can i say, guinea pig by nature, do it for a job so mad that i spend my spare time on it too:)

Joe Moore
30-07-2015, 16:52
Have many of you guys updated to windows 10 ? ---if you did-- was there any issues with pCars / oculus rift , I read the new nvidia driver fixes multi screens , I'm running 2 screens and rift .

Did you update from windows 7 or 8 .or new windows key .

I'm not sure if I should update now or wait till bugs are ironed out .

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 17:20
The main problem is it won't work at all:) No direct mode working driver for the rift yet, only a bodge to get the extended mode working, which won't work for P Cars

RaceNut
30-07-2015, 18:05
Trevor knows his stuff! Hold off and see what Oculus brings with the next Runtime release, hopefully soon.

Joe Moore
30-07-2015, 18:14
Thanks Trevor , I play the waiting game lol

jgaganas
30-07-2015, 18:35
Very good... did you went for msi x99-s or a (usb 3.1)?

Could you also post your OC settings for the 5820K... cool@4.6 is very nice.

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 19:07

The msi x99s gaming 7, although if I'm honest the usb specs didn't really interest me, 2.0 would have done:) once I've loaded my neywork drivers the biggest bandwidth on it will probably be my headphones, lol.

Wanted the asus deluxe but interestingly the msi x99 sli gets best gaming benchmarks, so i went for it's big brother. Only 20 more with a free water cooler.

When i get back downstairs I'll post the oc for the gpu too.

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 19:25

So OC settings,

standard 100 bclck*46 multiplier 1.32v, not taken it higher as it's 100% stable there and didn't want to push it to failure yet, hopefully won't need to, I think it might go a little higher but it's got plenty left over now even playing P Cars. Didn't touch anything else, except fan profiles, all set on a straight slope to max at 60C. Same with the 4 120mm fans on my radiator, all at max by 60C, and the GPU fans.

GPU runnning at 1446 boost and 7776 Ghz with a 50mv power increase and 110% available power. I feel I could get a bit more from this if I could get it to 120% power but that means hacking the bios.

jgaganas
30-07-2015, 19:37
^^^ Great, thanks... going for that combo next week!

Whats your CPU temp under load?

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 19:49
^^^ Great, thanks... going for that combo next week!

Whats your CPU temp under load?

After a 30 min race at max settings on PCars with 30 cars the max it hit was 58 (just edited after checking, 64 was core 2 max use:) ), normally about 56, using a H100i, pretty basic AIO water cooling. That was the main thing that made me go for the 5820, the 5930 runs a fair bit hotter and only seems to overclock to 4.5, and falls over after about 3 hours at that. The 5820 runs at 4.6 indefinitely, again from other's tests. Therefore I decided that the 5820 would be less stressed at 4.6 and last longer than the 5930 at 4.5, although of course, if I keep it long enough is another matter, currently no plans to change, but there are some nice dual CPU boards, lol.

My 4790 at 5Ghz ran about 10 degrees hotter, so still very safe.

|In my mind, right now, it is the best single GPU gaming setup you can get, and there is another space waiting for an SLI'd 980Ti when Oculus and Nvidia get that 1 GPU per eye stuff working, imagine how awesome that will be.

jgaganas
06-08-2015, 14:23
Upcoming VR Benchmarking: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/basemark-crytek-collaborate-vr-benchmarking,29765.html

Much needed/used in the future ;)

TrevorAustin
09-08-2015, 20:49
Upcoming VR Benchmarking: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/basemark-crytek-collaborate-vr-benchmarking,29765.html

Much needed/used in the future ;)

Nice find, I've been looking for something like this.