PDA

View Full Version : Why do some sequential cars not work unless I use the clutch?

therealzissou
29-07-2015, 11:19
I tried out the Ginetta Junior last night and I couldn't change gear unless I used the clutch. I thought this car was sequential? I have a TH8a and have auto clutch off, however cars like GT3 and Formula A work as they should only needing clutch to move off then using paddles or sequential stick.

What am I missing here? I'm pretty sure this was also happening in either the atom V8 or the Caterham R500.

ZiggyUK
29-07-2015, 12:16
Okay from memory the Ginetta G40 is a 6 speed seq where you still need the Clutch for 1st and reverse of course and it is also needed for downshifting but not upshifting just remember to blip the throttle.

If you can match the revs perfectly then you can get away from using the clutch on the downshift but it is really needed to downshift to stop the rear from locking up

Human
30-07-2015, 10:27
Just back off the throttle very slightly on up shifts, no need for the clutch unless selecting 1st initially or reverse.

therealzissou
30-07-2015, 10:52
Just back off the throttle very slightly on up shifts, no need for the clutch unless selecting 1st initially or reverse.

Yeh, I thought this was the case. Out of interest, what's the reason for this compared to other cars that don't need to let off the throttle.

Will this not make me get slower times? I imagine people using auto clutch will be faster?

Human
30-07-2015, 11:09
I believe the G40s do not have an electronic management system on the gearbox. As in the management doesn't cut a cylinder for a split second allowing flat shifting. Hence it is fully mechanical and you need to ease off the throttle to allow the next gear to engage. Gt3 cars are able to flat shift due to ecu managing the power input from the engine. It is doing the same job as you backing off the throttle but in a fraction of the time so you can keep the throttle pinned. I don't use auto clutch either. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.