PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wheel Painting is Possible? (Sort of) HELP REQUIRED

C. Banger
29-07-2015, 23:53
Hello All. To complete this Megane F1 edition livery I wanted to reproduce the wheels. It's the standard in-game wheel but in a 2-tone design to give it a different look. I figured the only way to achieve this effect was to leave the wheel black and amend the main wheel image 'overlay' on top. Below is the standard wheel which is all black with red rim. Next to that is the effect I want to get by 'painting' part of the wheel. My custom file I hoped would just sit on top as an 'overlay'. I haven't included the BLUR files but note - I left the black solid in the DIFF file (below), but made transparency for the BLUR file (otherwise the wheel goes solid - no gap between spokes).

Problem 1 - The new overlay image doesn't appear in the car select / photo studio - but the centre hub and bolts are there. So it's definitely using the amended .dds file. That left me scratching my head as to what I'd done wrong. I went for a test drive, took a photo and the wheel overlay do appear in-game They look exactly as I intended :)

Problem 2 - I did some runs to watch the replays back. I noticed once the car moves and the wheels rotate - the overlays suddenly disappear from the side facing away from the light source. It looks really odd and inconsistent. When the light is on them and they're making spinning patterns they look amazingly cool. But if the car turns, or the camera catches the wrong side - they're black without the overlay - like in the photo studio.

Is this a bug / glitch? I was starting to think the wheel overlay image wasn't intended for making integral design changes like this - it's merely an 'effect' layer that comes into play depending on how much sunlight is hitting the wheel surface. That might explain why the overlays don't appear in the photo studio? I dunno. But that doesn't make sense if you look at the stationary in-game photos. It's more an just an 'effect'.

My questions are -

1. Why don't the 'overlays' appear on the wheels in the photo studio? How can I fix it?
2. Why do the 'overlays' disappear from the side facing away from light source when in motion?

I hope this post makes sense. I'm putting together some replay footage which will help illustrate all this better. I'll have it uploaded on Friday evening and I'll run more tests over the weekend. Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] Vid added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQNaZ4MrkOI

NWRAP
30-07-2015, 00:42
Looking at the wheel files in the custom liveries folder I would suggest that the center cap cannot be painted.

I'm in the process of painting one of these so I will look at the wheels and see what I find :)

C. Banger
30-07-2015, 01:04
Looking at the wheel files in the custom liveries folder I would suggest that the center cap cannot be painted.

I'm in the process of painting one of these so I will look at the wheels and see what I find :)

Hi NWRAP, I started doing some tests by colour-sectioning bits on the image file. The centre hub and nuts can definitely be painted. I also found that some of the texture files pop in and out depending on the rotation of the wheel. See the front wheel is all red rim as I spin the tyres. This is all BEFORE the blur animation pops in.

C. Banger
31-07-2015, 23:33
I added a vid to the original post. TBH I don't think there's much call for wheel painting as 99% of the racing cars use plain colour wheels - or just have a coloured rim. I guess it's just not a big thing. I happened to pick this car to customise that could've benefitted from it which led me to try out stuff.

Cartman78
02-08-2015, 17:41
Hi,

Did U modify the alpha channel for the shape you use ? For some wheels, alpha channel is grey, and the grey is semi-transparent ...

C. Banger
05-08-2015, 22:14
Hi,

Did U modify the alpha channel for the shape you use ? For some wheels, alpha channel is grey, and the grey is semi-transparent ...

No I didn't modify the alpha channel !! - Maybe it's something as simple as this?? I'll look into it. Many thanks :)