PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars on a laptop?

Jerry Buzz
30-07-2015, 06:51
Just curious. I'm a caregiver for my 93 year old mother who has Alzheimer's. I'm thinking of buying a laptop I can use at her house for running all the Steam racing games I have. I don't have PCars for the PC -- I run it on my XBox at home -- but I'd be willing to give it a try on the laptop if it would run reasonably well. I've looked at the Alienware machines, but I wonder what other machines might do a decent job of running PCars and other games like Stock Car Extreme or rFactor.

Again, I just need something to do while she watches the Western Channel and naps.

tankyx
30-07-2015, 07:02
I have a lenovo y50-70 with a 4K screen, which can run pCARS on medium - high quality @1080p - 45fps, but I only have a GTX860m. Don't go with alienware, which are overpriced, but search for a good MSI
with a GTX970m or GTX980m, that will run pCARS perfectly :)

STEELJOCKEY
30-07-2015, 07:05
Should be ok, I got myself an Alienware alpha which is quite portable but you need your own screen. Something running an i5, 8gb ram and around an 860m card with a couple of gb ddr5 ram would be similar to what I've got, and the alpa puts out 1080p, I've been quite impressed so far with PC2 on my 55" TV.

John Hargreaves
30-07-2015, 08:14
Buy her a PS4?

I believe some guys have had quite good results with the 970m laptops, but they are expensive, well north of 1000 here. The MSI ones are good but bulky, and gigabyte do some nice slimline gaming laptops but the smaller ones seem to have heating issues. I think the 17" one seems best of the bunch. A second console would be the cheaper option, but obviously no good for those spreadsheets.

feloney_x
30-07-2015, 12:15
i play on an alienware 14
can run it fine in ultra but i have it at med.
never had an issue running the game

win. 8.1
intel i7 4700mq cpu 2.40ghz
8 gb ram
64 bit
nvidia grfx

N0body Of The Goat
30-07-2015, 12:50
Aldo, our resident framerate stats reporter, had a laptop running pCARS fine.

If you say his name three times, he might appear. ;)

tankyx
30-07-2015, 12:53
Buy her a PS4?

I believe some guys have had quite good results with the 970m laptops, but they are expensive, well north of 1000 here. The MSI ones are good but bulky, and gigabyte do some nice slimline gaming laptops but the smaller ones seem to have heating issues. I think the 17" one seems best of the bunch. A second console would be the cheaper option, but obviously no good for those spreadsheets.

The GS series is bulky ? It is one of the thinest laptop around ...

Real_Reece
30-07-2015, 13:35
Running it on a laptop at the moment 860m high setting and a steady 50fps rain or shine, console would be about half the price though...

T0MMY
30-07-2015, 14:33
I'm running on laptop (specs at my sig) at a medium-high setting, got around 30+ FPS at worst condition and about 45+ FPS most of the time. The only problem I face is the occasion over heat that down clocked my clock speed but removing the Ultra bay helps and having a fan blowing air into it helps during Aussie summer for me.

Jerry Buzz
30-07-2015, 19:53
Thanks for the info folks. In a perfect world, I would just buy a console. But I would have to get a screen for it, too; plus I really have to stay in the room with her. I don't think splitscreen racing with Mom is a possibility.

Again, thanks for the help.

gemonic
31-07-2015, 02:41
up until 2 weeks ago i was playing on my old laptop..... running a 685m.

was able to play on low to medium graphics without a single issue.

Jerry Buzz
05-08-2015, 15:01
Well, I ended up getting as Asus ROG G751JL from Amazon. It's a bit larger and heavier than what I wanted -- and more expensive -- but I felt I could treat myself. It comes on tomorrow and we'll see how it does on Stock Car extreme before I think about putting PCars on it. I'm excited; I haven't had a new machine in 4 years.