PDA

View Full Version : Fanatec CSS SQ (clubsport sequential shifter)

Franco Ferrari
30-07-2015, 12:01
Hi all.
Is any of you the (proud, I suppose) owner of a Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ as a stand-alone shifter, connected via the USB dongle?
Even better if you use it in conjunction with a TM T500-RS wheel.

I'm interested to know your opinions, advices, warnings and whatnot... in short: everything.

To be more precise, is there anything in particular that you had to do in order to configure it in pCARS? And if yes, what?

Thanks. :)

Silraed
31-07-2015, 07:35
I am interested in hearing peoples opinions on this as well. I have been tossing up whether to splash on a CSS SQ to go with my G27 mainly for the sequential mode.

alrickitson
31-07-2015, 08:19
Hello, I have a V1 Clubsport Shifter SQ and T500-RS wheel. Fantastic setup. I had the TH8 before and found the throw too long, the Clubsport shifter's throw is slightly too short in my opionion. Somewhere in the middle is what most real life cars are like apart from Honda S2000 or similar. The ability to flick to sequential mode is fantastic but you do have to keep changing settings in controls on project cars to swap between up/down on paddles or shifter. The sequential mode does feel spot on and very similar to a Ginetta I drove, really adds to the immersion if you match the gear change type with car. Back to H mode and I like having to push down and move across to get into reverse, again makes things more realistic. Also worth mentioning you need the Fanatec usb device to use the shifter without a Fanatec wheel, I learnt this the hard way. Also, the shifter is a big heavy lump, great for feel & reliability but was tricky to mount of my race sim & forced me to fabricate a 1 off custom bracket.

My T500 is a great wheel, I've tried all Fanatec's but they just don't feel right to me, like I'm turning a belt (which is what is actually happening) than actually turning wheels on a car. The T500 whilst still being belt just does everything better. The weight feels right & it should be more reliable too. I must point out that whilst feeling a little more toy like until project cars my fav wheel was still my trusty old G25 as I like gear force feedback.

I actually am lucky enough to be using a 4 post motion rig but without the T500, Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ and Fanatec V2 pedals it wouldn't add up to the great experience it is.

Franco Ferrari
31-07-2015, 10:39
Thanks a lot. :)
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Thanks for the advices.
Yes, the USB dongle is a known requirement ;)
Also, I have a Playseat rig and I've already bought their dedicated shifter stand, explicitly made for the Fanatec Shifter (and others) so I think there won't be any mounting issue.
The only thing I have to find out is the actual length of the stock cable, since I have to route it from the shifter all the way to the computer to a free USB port (maybe you can help me with this).

Joe Moore
31-07-2015, 10:50
Well sorry to say I had nothing but problems with the USB adaptor , went through 3 with good support from fanatec , they all failed after one day :( ended up getting a refund and bought FREX SQ ----- fanatec shifter is beautiful and when working it is great but there software is SHIT , hope you have a better experience than I did .

alrickitson
31-07-2015, 10:55
No problem, I'm glad that's what you wanted. I actually only just fitted it & started using the CSS with pCars a few weeks ago so it was all fresh in my mind. The cable that goes from the shifter to the fanatec usb box (it looks like a telephone wire) is pretty short. I had to plug it into a usb hub as it only reached half way to my pc. The hub was only 7 and windows 7 recognised the shifter after a few seconds of plugging it in. Fired up pCars and it worked first time :) One last thing I forgot to mention is the shifter has a screw on the side to adjust the stiffness of the shift feel. I haven't used this yet but might be good after a few thousand shifts to sharpen things up again.

Franco Ferrari
31-07-2015, 12:04
Negative feedback is also useful.
I'm sure though that Joe was just particularly unlucky... at least I hope so!

A USB hub should be the solution... but also a simple cable extension should do, but the USB hub solution is cleaner.

Joe Moore
31-07-2015, 19:37
Negative feedback is also useful.
I'm sure though that Joe was just particularly unlucky... at least I hope so!

A USB hub should be the solution... but also a simple cable extension should do, but the USB hub solution is cleaner.
Yep Its possible I was the unlucky one .
I think at the time I had it the softwear was not the best , Im sure it has being updated to work better with the USB adapter.

Make sure to get back to us when you get , it's a great bit of hardwear when it working .

Franco Ferrari
31-07-2015, 22:42
What version did you get?
Now they offer the "Ver. 1.5"... maybe it got better meanwhile.

lacslyer
01-08-2015, 00:18
I used it as a stand alone while waiting for my CSW and had no problems them, nor now and have loved every minute of it. To the point where I pretty much exclusively drive cars that utilize the H-shifter.

I will say though, as mentioned before, the cable to use it with the USB adapter is short, so it's wise to have either a USB hub or extension cable to connect it more easily.

Joe Moore
01-08-2015, 11:25
What version did you get?
Now they offer the "Ver. 1.5"... maybe it got better meanwhile.

ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 EU

Revvin
01-08-2015, 17:10
No problems with my Clubsport Shifter SQ v1.5, I've used it plugged into the base of my CSW V2 and also with the USB adaptor, calibrated it once when I installed it and that's it. The switch to change from sequential to H-pattern is really easy to move, I thought it might be stiffer as it changes mechanical parts internally but its really easy to switch between the modes and the gear change feel is nice and precise. For the price I think its a quality piece of kit that's added a lot of added immersion into PCars.

Azure Flare
02-08-2015, 00:38
For the price I think its a quality piece of kit that's added a lot of added immersion into PCars.

How much did Fanatec and/or SMS pay you to say that? :p

Franco Ferrari
01-09-2015, 13:37
Fanatec CSS SQ V1.5 + USB adapter ordered.
Can't wait now. :)

Fanapryde
01-09-2015, 14:20
The ability to flick to sequential mode is fantastic but you do have to keep changing settings in controls on project cars to swap between up/down on paddles or shifter.
Sure ?
I have not installed my SQ shifter yet (it will be coupled to the V2 wheelbase), but I am now using a TM TH8A and I don't have to change settings in PCars at all. I can use H, SQ or paddles.

Sankyo
01-09-2015, 14:41
The ability to flick to sequential mode is fantastic but you do have to keep changing settings in controls on project cars to swap between up/down on paddles or shifter.

Sure ?
I have not installed my SQ shifter yet (it will be coupled to the V2 wheelbase), but I am now using a TM TH8A and I don't have to change settings in PCars at all. I can use H, SQ or paddles.

In the Fanatec driver you can select the option to map the sequential shifter to the paddle shifters, so you don't need to reassign when changing from one to the other. This works when you have connected the shifter to the wheel base (CSW), not sure about the USB adapter.

Franco Ferrari
01-09-2015, 15:19
This works when you have connected the shifter to the wheel base (CSW), not sure about the USB adapter.

I will find out as soon as it arrives.

Silraed
01-09-2015, 15:28
From what I have been able to find out if you don't have a wheelbase to plug into then you need to reassign the shifters, but I am not 100% sure. This is the one thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger on a CSS SQ recently.

Let us know what you find out when yours arrives.

stephenb
01-09-2015, 18:06
The sequential and h pattern map to different inputs so I'd be surprised if you had to reassign controls all the time. I'd have thought you could have the shifter in h pattern mode, map the controls for that, then switch to sequential and do likewise? As I've never connected mine via the USB adapter, which I do have and use for my handbrake, I will now shut up :)

P.S. It is a beautifully engineered bit of kit, well worth it for the added immersion in my view.

Edit: Forgot to say I would definitely recommend direct connection to a USB 2 port on you PC and not via any USB hub. Fanatec kit seems quite finickity about how you connect it to your system and direct to USB 2 port always seems to be the most reliable for people.

Sankyo
01-09-2015, 18:29
In the Fanatec driver you can select the option to map the sequential shifter to the paddle shifters, so you don't need to reassign when changing from one to the other. This works when you have connected the shifter to the wheel base (CSW), not sure about the USB adapter.
Needless to say, if you're using the USB adapter and a non-Fanatec wheel then this won't work at all of course :)

Franco Ferrari
01-09-2015, 19:09
Needless to say, if you're using the USB adapter and a non-Fanatec wheel then this won't work at all of course :)

Well, that was partially expected, even though I'm pretty sure that it would not be impossible to program a workaround in the drivers, and the fact that at Fanatec they're not expecting the customers of their stand alone shifter to use another brand's wheel, actually baffles me... but I understand the commercial strategy behind this choice, so I'm not actually complaining.

Anyway, at the moment I'm driving all the H-shifter cars with my paddle-shifter wheel, so... the minor annoyance of having to remap two buttons from time to time, is acceptable.

Franco Ferrari
03-09-2015, 18:12
My CSS SQ arrived today.

First of all, the driver does distinguish between H and SQ mode, even with the USB adapter, in fact the controller reports 10 buttons in total, 8 for the H mode (7 + rw) and 2 for the SQ mode, so there are no problems in configuring the button mappings.

But... my unit arrived defective! In the SQ mode only the downshift is detected!
No upshift!

I have calibrated everything and the H mode works perfectly.
But not in the SQ mode!

I already contacted Fanatec for support... but meanwhile I'd like some support from you, guys. :(

Fanapryde
03-09-2015, 19:56
My CSS SQ arrived today.

First of all, the driver does distinguish between H and SQ mode, even with the USB adapter, in fact the controller reports 10 buttons in total, 8 for the H mode (7 + rw) and 2 for the SQ mode, so there are no problems in configuring the button mappings.

But... my unit arrived defective! In the SQ mode only the downshift is detected!
No upshift!

But not in the SQ mode!

I already contacted Fanatec for support... but meanwhile I'd like some support from you, guys. :(
Don't like the sound of that...
Still on holliday, so I will be installing mine end of this month.
But I still have the TH8A as backup...

lacslyer
03-09-2015, 21:28
My CSS SQ arrived today.

No upshift!

But not in the SQ mode!

Is the lack of detection on up shifting in game or in the Fanatec software? Either way I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I've never had issues with my shifter but have it attached to my wheel so I'll help however I can. You may also try using a different usb port as well.

Silraed
04-09-2015, 08:04
No upshift!

That is not what I want to be reading when I am on the verge of buying one myself. :nonchalance:

Sankyo
04-09-2015, 08:50
Well, that was partially expected, even though I'm pretty sure that it would not be impossible to program a workaround in the drivers, and the fact that at Fanatec they're not expecting the customers of their stand alone shifter to use another brand's wheel, actually baffles me... but I understand the commercial strategy behind this choice, so I'm not actually complaining.

The ability to use the CSS as a stand-alone unit is exactly done to allow non-Fanatec wheel owners to use it. But the option to map the CSS to the wheel's paddle shifter is not possible because it requires the Fanatec driver to communicate with the other brand's driver, or somehow know what buttons the other brand's wheel's paddle shifters are so it can emulate them. This is way beyond the scope of a normal controller driver.

Sankyo
04-09-2015, 08:51
My CSS SQ arrived today.

No upshift!

But not in the SQ mode!

So all gears work in H-shifter mode, but the upshift (4th gear?) button does not work in SQ mode? That's odd. Does it 'click' when you push it in the upshift position?

Franco Ferrari
04-09-2015, 09:26
Well, first of all I've already tried all the usual routines in cases like this:
- reinstalling the drivers
- uninstall and reinstall from zero
- install different versions (only 3 are available from the website, one is beta, I can install only the 64bit version, the 32bit ones refuse to install on my 64bit system)

I still have to try a different USB port... since the one I'm using (front of the case) is the only one I can reach with the stock cable with the shifter bolted to the seat.
I have to unscrew the shifter and try it with one of the back USB ports, even though the front ones are simply an extension of the motherboard ones... anyway, I'll try that later.
I also tried one of the hub ports I have (on the Logitech keyboard) to no avail.

Is the lack of detection on up shifting in game or in the Fanatec software? Either way I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I've never had issues with my shifter but have it attached to my wheel so I'll help however I can. You may also try using a different usb port as well.

Both.
The drivers panel is not detecting it and neither the game.

So all gears work in H-shifter mode, but the upshift (4th gear?) button does not work in SQ mode? That's odd. Does it 'click' when you push it in the upshift position?

Yes it 'clicks' both directions.
That sounded odd to me too, until I've found from pictures on the internet that the hardware actually consists of two HALL sensors (analog potentiometer) and not of 8 individual switches or buttons.
In fact, the driver needs to be calibrated... which is not something you'll need to do with switches.

Each gear position is not a ON/OFF switch... it's actually sensed by interpolating the two sensors position, inferring the stick orientation.
It's basically a big, analog, two-axis joystick.

Anyway, the calibration process works flawlessly and all the gears are detected properly.
I also used the shifter for a couple of hours in H-mode without a problem.

...but once in SQ mode, the upshift (yes, the position corresponding to the 4th gear) and only the upshift is not triggered, not in the driver nor in any game. :(

I hope I'll receive some reply from Fanatec soon.

Sankyo
04-09-2015, 10:33
Well, first of all I've already tried all the usual routines in cases like this:
- reinstalling the drivers
- uninstall and reinstall from zero
- install different versions (only 3 are available from the website, one is beta, I can install only the 64bit version, the 32bit ones refuse to install on my 64bit system)

I still have to try a different USB port... since the one I'm using (front of the case) is the only one I can reach with the stock cable with the shifter bolted to the seat.
I have to unscrew the shifter and try it with one of the back USB ports, even though the front ones are simply an extension of the motherboard ones... anyway, I'll try that later.
I also tried one of the hub ports I have (on the Logitech keyboard) to no avail.

Both.
The drivers panel is not detecting it and neither the game.

Yes it 'clicks' both directions.
That sounded odd to me too, until I've found from pictures on the internet that the hardware actually consists of two HALL sensors (analog potentiometer) and not of 8 individual switches or buttons.
In fact, the driver needs to be calibrated... which is not something you'll need to do with switches.

Each gear position is not a ON/OFF switch... it's actually sensed by interpolating the two sensors position, inferring the stick orientation.
It's basically a big, analog, two-axis joystick.

Anyway, the calibration process works flawlessly and all the gears are detected properly.
I also used the shifter for a couple of hours in H-mode without a problem.

...but once in SQ mode, the upshift (yes, the position corresponding to the 4th gear) and only the upshift is not triggered, not in the driver nor in any game. :(

I hope I'll receive some reply from Fanatec soon.
I know all the techy bits, don't worry :) I was asking about the clicking, because I wanted to establish whether the shifter reaches the proper position or not in order to be detected by the Hall sensor to be in the upshift position. It seems that it is, which makes the issue the more puzzling.

Can you enable the Map Sequential Shifter To Paddles option in the driver and see if that changes anything?

Franco Ferrari
04-09-2015, 12:21
Can you enable the Map Sequential Shifter To Paddles option in the driver and see if that changes anything?

It looks like this option is not available with my drivers.
This is all I have.

This screenshot is from the PC I'm using right now, which is a Windows 7 laptop, where I tried everything again without success.
Even here I installed all the driver versions available and tried USB 2 and 3.

Franco Ferrari
04-09-2015, 12:22
Also, I updated the firmware (of the USB adapter I suppose) with every driver version I've found, which are: 205, 219, 222 beta and 226 beta.

Sankyo
04-09-2015, 12:31
It looks like this option is not available with my drivers.
This is all I have.

This screenshot is from the PC I'm using right now, which is a Windows 7 laptop, where I tried everything again without success.
Even here I installed all the driver versions available and tried USB 2 and 3.

OK then that option is only available when you have it connected to a Fanatec wheel, which confirms what I wrote in posting #26.

One last thing that I can think of is to check whether the SQ/H mode adjustment knob on the unit is fully in the SQ position. Make sure you slide it with both hands on both sides of the unit.

Franco Ferrari
04-09-2015, 12:37
One last thing that I can think of is to check whether the SQ/H mode adjustment knob on the unit is fully in the SQ position. Make sure you slide it with both hands on both sides of the unit.

It is.
The slider travels all the way in both positions.
Also, I can hear a small "click" inside the unit when I do it.
Finally, the driver panel changes to this:

Sankyo
04-09-2015, 12:39
I'm out of ideas then for the moment, let's wait for Fanatec Support's reply.

Franco Ferrari
04-09-2015, 12:48
I'm out of ideas then for the moment, let's wait for Fanatec Support's reply.

Me too. :(
Thanks anyway.

I'll wait...

Ramjet
04-09-2015, 12:59
Franco I have been using my CSS SQ v1.5 for about 3 weeks and it is brilliant. Like Remco said make sure the Gear Stick is in Neutral fully then engage the change over from SQ to H using both sides of the slider, but you probs already knew that, just checking.

I swap between using the wheel paddles on my AF wheel for Formula A/B and using the SQ shift for other open wheelers like FC or Lotus 98T. So in that case it is easy to quickly go into the options to change the gear mapping over as it only takes a moment. H shift is auto sensed according to the vehicle and can just slide the gear switch while pausing game. Brilliant shifter, hardmounted to my Obutto I don't know how I ever did without it. Mostly playing AC with it lately though.

Hope you get it up & running correctly soon, good luck !

ps. Is that your real name ? Very cool ~ my son is named Enzo, so you know I love Ferrari ! :cool:

Franco Ferrari
04-09-2015, 13:16
Yeah, I already checked everything ad nauseam... but thanks anyway. :(

ps. Is that your real name ? Very cool ~ my son is named Enzo, so you know I love Ferrari ! :cool:

Nope.
My first name is Simone.
Franco Ferrari is the sum of my father's first name (Franco) and my mother's last name (Ferrari).
I choose this combination because doing so my name would have been added in the game as an AI driver (as a WMD member), as an homage to both my parents... and also because my real first name and especially my last name are nowhere near as racey as Ferrari.

lacslyer
04-09-2015, 15:52
After looking through what you've done so far my last suggestion would be to try the shifter on another PC you have available. However, it seems to be that unfortunately you may have to request a new shifter from Fanatec. Don't give up hope on it, as others have said it's a brilliant shifter and well worth the cost. It's pushed me to the point of desiring to only drive cars that use the shifter in the sims I play, completely neglecting the majority of the others.

falcon2081
04-09-2015, 16:43
Yup, looks like a faulty upshift to me. Make sure you talk to Fanatec using their online tech support chat. Don't use the email option as that will take forever to get a response.

AB_Attack
04-09-2015, 21:49
I had the TH8 before and found the throw too long
I agree, the throw is too long on that one. It's what I use.

Fanapryde
05-09-2015, 08:03
I agree, the throw is too long on that one. It's what I use.
Agreed. I have a short throw 6sp custom plate for the TH. Much better feel and faster too.
Sadly Patrick is not making them any more, I was lucky to receive the last one. His SQ plate also gives a better feel.
Both plates even look a lot better (CNC'd aluminium) and the gates of the H shifter are better finished than the stock plate.
I have bot installed my freshly received Fanatec stuff yet, but I allready made a new base plate to accomodate the new SQ shifter. So I tried it (not in game) and the feel is much closer to a real car shifter.

Silraed
06-09-2015, 08:22
Okay maybe pulling this thread slightly off topic but, I am oh so close to purchasing a CSS SQ for myself.

Do you guys think the best option is to:
A. Buy directly from Fanatec and save $20 but have the possibility of running into the much talked about slow service from Fanatec on the off chance of issues with the product.
or
B. Take my business to a store I know I can trust and have had a very good experience with before but at the cost of $20 extra. I can't say though how long they would offer their own help on a faulty product before simply directing me to Fanatec.

Franco Ferrari
06-09-2015, 08:39
After looking through what you've done so far my last suggestion would be to try the shifter on another PC you have available.

Done already, as I wrote in reply #30.
Same issue.

The problem may well be with the USB adapter, but I can't tell.

Fanapryde
06-09-2015, 09:14
Maybe someone in the neighborhood with a clubsport base ? If you could try the shifter coupled directly to the base and find that it is working Ok, then you would be almost sure the problem is within the USB connector.

MrPix
06-09-2015, 09:36
Okay maybe pulling this thread slightly off topic but, I am oh so close to purchasing a CSS SQ for myself.

Do you guys think the best option is to:
A. Buy directly from Fanatec and save $20 but have the possibility of running into the much talked about slow service from Fanatec on the off chance of issues with the product.
or
B. Take my business to a store I know I can trust and have had a very good experience with before but at the cost of $20 extra. I can't say though how long they would offer their own help on a faulty product before simply directing me to Fanatec.I have had many faults with some of my Fanatec rims, and the service is not that 'slow' here in the UK as long as you provide all the necessary evidence up front (video/pictures/full description of the fault and what you have done to prove it). The turn around once they agree that the product me be at fault rather than user error is very quick. As far as shipping from Germany, as long as the product is in stock then it is provided within a few days. I have no experience of the US Fanatec side of things.

The CSS SQ is solid as a rock and I can't fault mine at all. I have the v1.5 and it is easy to calibrate and use attached to the wheelbase or via the USB adapter (available separately). I use mine attached to the base and the USB adapter for the CS HB now.

Revvin
06-09-2015, 10:15
I've not had any issues with Fanatec's support. When I bought my Porsche wheel Turbo S and Clubsport V1 pedals I had pre and after sales response inside 24 hours. The good experience with them is what led me to stay with Fanatec and order the CSW V2, Clubsport V3 pedals and CSS SQ v1.5 shifter. The response time now is around 48 hours when I've contacted them but I still think that's an acceptable turn-around compared to other manufacturers I've dealt with. I bought the shifter on a bit of a whim after deciding to buy the wheel and pedals and glad I did, at the time I was racing in the old Escort 1600 RS and the shifter makes that so much more fun and easier to control, I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. I hope you get your shifter sorted out soon Franco, it sounds like it could be maybe the adaptor that's faulty if the H-pattern works ok, hopefully if there is a faulty part its that as its the easiest to replace.

Silraed
06-09-2015, 10:47
I would be going through the Australian Fanatec store, and I have heard some pretty bad stories about service in Australia.

Like Franco I would be using the shifter with the USB adapter since I am not that well off financially to be able to splurge on a full ClubSport setup and the shifter gives me something I do not already have access to, a sequential mode.
If only they would release a new and improved wheel and pedal combo that is compatible with the CSS SQ to replace the CSR as a more affordable upgrade from a G27 :rolleyes:

Franco Ferrari
06-09-2015, 11:02
Maybe someone in the neighborhood with a clubsport base ? If you could try the shifter coupled directly to the base and find that it is working Ok, then you would be almost sure the problem is within the USB connector.

Well... my only hope is to place and ad on the local newspaper and wait for someone of good will to reply, since all my local videogamer friends are broke cheap a$$ people.
I sold my 10 year old G25 to one of them when I upgraded to the T500, rendering him the most advanced of them all, in terms of gaming peripherals... this should give you a sense of scale. :p

Silraed
07-09-2015, 21:35
Can one of you fine gentlemen tell me approximately how long the cables for the shifter are?

It isn't far from my wheel stand to my PC if I move my monitor to the other side of my desk but, I suddenly remembered reading about some rather short cables a while back and that would be a deal breaker if it wouldn't reach.
I would be forced to go with the TH8A if I do end up taking the plunge on a better shifter.

Franco Ferrari
07-09-2015, 21:58
Can one of you fine gentlemen tell me approximately how long the cables for the shifter are?

The stock proprietary cable is 120cm long, and the USB adapter is another 30cm.
After that, you can extend the USB cable with an inexpensive USB extension.
It's USB 2.0, btw.

Silraed
07-09-2015, 23:42
It should just reach then, thanks for the info. Does it have compatibility issues with USB 3.0 ports and requires a 2.0 port specifically? If so I will need to shuffle some cables around to free up a front port.

Have you had any response from Fanatec as to whether it is your shifter or the USB adapter that is the problem? I have read a couple bad stories about the USB adapter the last day or so that have started up a little niggle of doubt in the back of my mind but they were mostly older threads so those issues would be hopefully gone by now.

Fanapryde
08-09-2015, 06:11
It should just reach then, thanks for the info. Does it have compatibility issues with USB 3.0 ports and requires a 2.0 port specifically? If so I will need to shuffle some cables around to free up a front port.
Don't think so. I have an etxernal powered USB 3 hub and none of the USB 2 devices has an issue.
The other way around could probably cause problems.

Ramjet
09-09-2015, 02:28
Silraed, I havebeen using my CSS SQ v1.5 with usb for a month now and it works brilliantly plugged into the usb hub that is built intothe rear of my Accuforce wheel. Such a nice shifter, heaps better and more realistic than the Thrustmaster imo.

Franco Ferrari
09-09-2015, 08:20
Just to inform you that Fanatec replied to me, asking for a video showing the problem, which I sent to them.
After that, they emailed informing me they started the RMA procedure.

So... it appears that a replacement is on its way.
Let's hope for the best. :)

Silraed
10-09-2015, 12:50
Well. Fanatec have just increased their pricing across the Australian store obviously in response to the weak AUD recently, completely understandable. But the prices were already intimidatingly high here.

The CSS SQ + USB adapter now sit at $364.80 combined.
The CSW V2 is now listed at $984.90.
Many of the wheel + universal HUB combos are now $654.90.

Those are some pretty daunting prices for a hobby and the price just keeps going up when you add on shipping costs. I went ahead and placed an order with the other store that sells the shifter + adapter on the spur of the moment before they can increase their own prices, so now I hope for the best and try not to regret my purchase I suppose ;)

Silraed
11-09-2015, 04:52
The store I placed my order with have just dropped all Fanatec products from their website. My order is still being processed so will have to wait and see, it is starting to look like my only option is the Thrustmaster TH8A.

Edit: Scratch that, order has just been refunded stating "issues with the supply of Fanatec products". Kicking myself for waiting that extra day to make the purchase now. I just can not justify the new Fanatec price.

Franco Ferrari
09-10-2015, 17:56
And finally..... my replacement CSS SQ shifter has arrived and now everything works as expected. ;)

To bad it took 3 whole weeks for the defective one to be shipped back to Fanatec, because the replacement arrived in just two days.

And now, I can fully enjoy my rig. :) :) :)

.unreal
28-09-2016, 23:16
did you solve the issue that we have always to reasign the down/upshift from paddles to sq shifter?

Fanapryde
29-09-2016, 05:12
did you solve the issue that we have always to reasign the down/upshift from paddles to sq shifter?
Use Fanatec property page to assign paddles to SQ (mark the box).
You only need to do that once.

MrPix
29-09-2016, 08:52
Use Fanatec property page to assign paddles to SQ (mark the box).
You only need to do that once.Caveat: if plugged in to the Fanatec wheel base.

Fanapryde
29-09-2016, 09:35
Caveat: if plugged in to the Fanatec wheel base.
I stand corrected. ;)

Fanapryde
04-10-2016, 16:50
Not sure if this thread is the right one, but I have a question:

I am using a Fanatec CSS SQ, connected to the V2 wheel base (so not via USB).
All works fine in all sims, I can use him in H pattern, SQ or switch to the paddles on the wheel.
One thing though: if I adjust the force to my likings in H, the SQ is really too strong. If I adjust to my likings in SQ, the H pattern feels (much) too light.
I have been thinking about an extra SQ shifter (the Heusinkveld) which connects via USB.

Can someone enlighten me if and how this is going to work if I keep them both installed, the Fanatec for H-pattern cars, the Heusinkveld for SQ cars, preferably without having to plug/unplug one of both shifters.
Maybe there is a simple solution, but for the moment I don't see it :roll eyes:
I know there are people around here that are using two shifters...

Sankyo
04-10-2016, 17:01
The SQ shifter will be a separate game controller and hence you can assign it independently to the shift up/down controls. Should work with no problems I'd say.

Fanapryde
04-10-2016, 17:10
The SQ shifter will be a separate game controller and hence you can assign it independently to the shift up/down controls. Should work with no problems I'd say.
Thanks Remco, sounds logical.

GrimeyDog
04-10-2016, 17:23
No problem, I'm glad that's what you wanted. I actually only just fitted it & started using the CSS with pCars a few weeks ago so it was all fresh in my mind. The cable that goes from the shifter to the fanatec usb box (it looks like a telephone wire) is pretty short. I had to plug it into a usb hub as it only reached half way to my pc. The hub was only 7 and windows 7 recognised the shifter after a few seconds of plugging it in. Fired up pCars and it worked first time :) One last thing I forgot to mention is the shifter has a screw on the side to adjust the stiffness of the shift feel. I haven't used this yet but might be good after a few thousand shifts to sharpen things up again.

The wire connections are easy to Make if you have the Crimping tool!!! I made My wires Shifter and Pedals prob about 10ft long each!!!

I just Zoomed in with My camera phone to get the Wire order Ex red end white right of red etc... Poped it in the wire crimper and Tadaaa... Took all of 5min.

Fanatec Cables are way short!!!

wesker6664
05-10-2016, 12:04
One thing though: if I adjust the force to my likings in H, the SQ is really too strong. If I adjust to my likings in SQ, the H pattern feels (much) too light.
Yes indeed, and Fanatec should have put a simple knob to regulate the tension. I don't use the SQ function anymore as each time i have to find the allen key :sorrow:

Fanapryde
05-10-2016, 12:48
Yes indeed, and Fanatec should have put a simple knob to regulate the tension. I don't use the SQ function anymore as each time i have to find the allen key :sorrow:
Yes, that too, a simple knob to regulate would have been great. Though the allen key is always next to my rig, I often forget to adjust, only realizing that when the race has started...
It is so close to being the perfect shifter...
Since nobody mentioned it before, I thought I was the only one bothered by this tension thing... :D

Sankyo
05-10-2016, 12:55
Yes, that too, a simple knob to regulate would have been great. Though the allen key is always next to my rig, I often forget to adjust, only realizing that when the race has started...
It is so close to being the perfect shifter...
Since nobody mentioned it before, I thought I was the only one bothered by this tension thing... :D
Sounds like one could make a knob him-/herself? Take an Allen key, saw off enough so that only a short end sticks out. Glue on any type of thing to make the knob, paint a marker on it and you're done? Could even glue it to the Allen screw inside to keep it in place :)

wesker6664
05-10-2016, 13:11
Sounds like one could make a knob him-/herself? Take an Allen key, saw off enough so that only a short end sticks out. Glue on any type of thing to make the knob, paint a marker on it and you're done? Could even glue it to the Allen screw inside to keep it in place :)
Exactly what i was thinking, but with all the vibrations and hard abuse when trashing gears i fear it'll break shortly :(

Fanapryde
05-10-2016, 13:24
Sounds like a good idea, but I fear it would void the warranty if anything should ever go wrong with the shifter ?
Also, on my actual rig (I'm thinking about a new one) I would hit my right knee...;)

Sankyo
05-10-2016, 13:38
Sounds like a good idea, but I fear it would void the warranty if anything should ever go wrong with the shifter ?
I don't think so, as you did not tinker with the internals. Of course if glue gets inside the shifter it may break things, but that's not warranty anyway. If you use glue that gives way easily with a bit of force, you can remove the know anyway if necessary. It doesn't need to be able to withstand a lot of force, because the turning force is handled by the screw head anyhow.

Also, on my actual rig (I'm thinking about a new one) I would hit my right knee...;)
I was talking about a rather small knob :p Or is your cockpit that cramped? :D

Fanapryde
05-10-2016, 14:25
I was talking about a rather small knob :p Or is your cockpit that cramped? :D
A habit of mine IRL, in fast left corners leaning with my knee against the console of the car...
And I tend to do the same thing in the sim chassis... :highly_amused:
I already have some foam there.

Haiden
06-10-2016, 18:43

Use something like Elmers or rubber cement, anything that just prevents it from falling out, but still allows you to pull it out later and scrap the hole clean if you need to. :)

Fanapryde
06-10-2016, 19:08
Use something like Elmers or rubber cement, anything that just prevents it from falling out, but still allows you to pull it out later and scrap the hole clean if you need to. :)
Still have to check, but I will also need to put a plastic tube around the allen key, because it will probably rattle due to the FFB forces in my rig.

Fanapryde
07-10-2016, 19:35
Something else comes to mind:
When only using the Fanatec CSS, I have the choice (in SQ setting) between paddles and the shifter (I can use both).
When using the Fanatec in H-pattern mode and the HE SQ shifter for SQ (obviously), I will probably loose this possibility, the paddles will be obsolete...no ? To use them I would need to re- assign the controls...

Sankyo
08-10-2016, 07:02
Something else comes to mind:
When only using the Fanatec CSS, I have the choice (in SQ setting) between paddles and the shifter (I can use both).
When using the Fanatec in H-pattern mode and the HE SQ shifter for SQ (obviously), I will probably loose this possibility, the paddles will be obsolete...no ? To use them I would need to re- assign the controls...

Probably yes. With the Fanatec CSS SQ, you can map the paddles to the SQ shifter, with the separate SQ shifter it will be either paddles or SQ.

Fanapryde
08-10-2016, 08:46
Probably yes. With the Fanatec CSS SQ, you can map the paddles to the SQ shifter, with the separate SQ shifter it will be either paddles or SQ.Yes, thought as much...
So I will be sticking to my Fanatec CSS SQ... Re-assigning the controls all the time will be too much of a hassle.