PDA

View Full Version : [PRO] Nice job pCARS

csbeau1969
01-08-2015, 20:43
Hi,

I started my racing adventures in 2010 by doing a few track day experiences in my Cayman. At that time, I also started iRacing to improve my skills. In August 2013, I decided to move from sim racing to real world racing and attended the Skip Barber Racing School at Lime Rock Park in the US. I started racing in their regional series in November (2013) and in 2014 moved to their Pro series. As I live and work abroad, most of my practice has been via simulation and iRacing has been my sim of choice. This year, I moved to the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge with Racers Edge Motorsports in the Ford Mustang Boss 302R GS. I still use simulation to practice and picked up pCARS when it became available on Steam. I now use both iRacing and pCARS to practice.

However, I wanted to say that although there remain some aspects to pCARS that could be improved; I must say that the Ford Mustang Boss 302R GT4 at Road America, Watkins Glen and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is done extremely well and the brake release and mid-corner speed aspects in pCARS is "nailed". The car roll and momentum is also done very well. It is very realistic and a great training tool. The GT4 configuration is a little faster than the GS configuration in CTSC but very similar.

Really nice job and I hope that you add other US tracks to the selection soon (DLC) and don't wait until pCARS 2 to do so. I will be using pCARS (and iRacing) to continue my training. However, as iRacing does not have GT4 cars nor is competitive racing available at any time due to the AI option in pCARS, I like to use pCARS when the track is available.

Best,

Chris

www.xbordermotorsports.com
http://www.imsa.com/node/31761

TrevorAustin
01-08-2015, 20:46
Hi,

I started my racing adventures in 2010 by doing a few track day experiences in my Cayman. At that time, I also started iRacing to improve my skills. In August 2013, I decided to move from sim racing to real world racing and attended the Skip Barber Racing School at Lime Rock Park in the US. I started racing in their regional series in November (2013) and in 2014 moved to their Pro series. As I live and work abroad, most of my practice has been via simulation and iRacing has been my sim of choice. This year, I moved to the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge with Racers Edge Motorsports in the Ford Mustang Boss 302R GS. I still use simulation to practice and picked up pCARS when it became available on Steam. I now use both iRacing and pCARS to practice.

However, I wanted to say that although there remain some aspects to pCARS that could be improved; I must say that the Ford Mustang Boss 302R GT4 at Road America, Watkins Glen and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is done extremely well and the brake release and mid-corner speed aspects in pCARS is "nailed". The car roll and momentum is also done very well. It is very realistic and a great training tool. The GT4 configuration is a little faster than the GS configuration in CTSC but very similar.

Really nice job and I hope that you add other US tracks to the selection soon (DLC) and don't wait until pCARS 2 to do so. I will be using pCARS (and iRacing) to continue my training. However, as iRacing does not have GT4 cars nor is competitive racing available at any time due to the AI option in pCARS, I like to use pCARS when the track is available.

Best,

Chris

www.xbordermotorsports.com

Now I vote to bring in ovals, what a different response to some of the other US track requests:)

cornishbrooksy
01-08-2015, 21:09
Thanks for the post, its great to see yet another REAL driver validate what is so good about Project CARS and how strong the physics model is.....i'm amazed sometimes at the hostility by some corners of the sim racing community over realism....

I know some people wont agree with you...other will, and i can see this thread turning into yet another where people are biting at each other, but to hear positives is always good.

Azure Flare
02-08-2015, 05:03
It's hard to argue with someone who does it IRL how realistic a certain sim is.

Umer Ahmad
02-08-2015, 08:54
Thanks for the feedback Chris. Pro driver feedback is always appreciated.

Good luck at Road America next weekend, would be nice to see a Project CARS sponsorship vinyl on your Mustang some day! ;)

Elmo
02-08-2015, 09:47
Thanks for the feedback Chris, I make sure to pass it onto our vehicle guys.

Also feel free to point out where you see areas for potential improvement, since we are always interested in making the experience even more authentic.

TAGS Battfink
02-08-2015, 10:18
Living the dream, living the dream. Good luck for the weekend!

bmanic
02-08-2015, 10:32
Good luck with the race weekend!

Namron
02-08-2015, 11:08
Aye!!.... Good luck for the weekend @csbeau1969 :eagerness:.... It's real great/nice to see someone in the know that takes the time to come on & say just how well done this Sim/Game really is compared to real world racing sort of thing..... There do seem to be quite a few knockers who say the Sim is unplayable & all wrong, But for me most of those people should stick to the More Arcade type game where you just plug & play.

THIS PCARS!!!...... On the other hand is more .......... Much more...... PCARS... Is a Sim & therefore is always going to need a little extra work on the punters side of things, Yep!!..... I know PCARS does have it's issues here & there but I'm certain these will get sorted out in due course. It's still gonna be more a Sim than a Arcade game & will always need that little extra input from the player to Drive well & you are going to need to learn some new stuff about Cars in general but most of all in the SETTING UP of a Car ready for race day :)..... That's the beauty of this Sim it can actually teach you something if your willing to put in the time & a little effort...

If your not willing to put in the time for setting up, tuning & learning e.t.c then maybe get an Arcade racing game that is plug & play, For me.... I'm enjoying the learning curve (Steep learning curve ;)) & getting a better understanding of what does what if & when you alter this or that settings e.t.c.. This is my first go at a racing Game/Sim since about 15 or so years, I bought a wheel specifically for PCars & am glad I made that investment not just in the FFB Wheel but also in getting PCars, I knew when I bought PCars that it was more a Sim than just a Game & that it was going to need that little bit extra work & FUN getting things right for race day e.t.c...:encouragement:.....

Right!!!.... I'm Orfff......... :onthego:..... I got some tunning & setting up to do & then enjoy the glory of this Sim & all it's gorgeousness that the graphics bring to the table..... STUNNING!!!!....

Nam.....

miagi
02-08-2015, 12:31
Always like to hear real racing to sim comparison opinions, the more detailed the better :)

csbeau1969
02-08-2015, 15:51
Thank you all. I will respond to this thread after Road America next weekend to provide detailed feedback on both what is modeled well and what could be improved. It has been a year since I was last at Road America so I want to provide feedback while the experience is still fresh in my mind. Last weekend I raced at Lime Rock Park, thus the car feedback about brake release and mid-corner speed is based on recent feel. I also used pCARS to prepare for Watkins Glen a few weeks back. Also very helpful, especially for my qualifying laps, the race was in full rain conditions. The actual race in the rain was much harder (to be fast) than it is in the sim. However, that is to be expected, I think...

Mahjik
02-08-2015, 16:36
Good stuff Chris.

It'd be interested to hear your take on how the various setup options for the Mustang compared/react to what changes your team makes on your race cars. BTW, it's too bad you couldn't get some track time in this weekend with NASA. NASA is up at Road America this weekend (I unfortunately couldn't make the trip).

Umer Ahmad
02-08-2015, 22:13
I say we organize a community race for Chris: GT4 @ Road America. ;)

We can get some of the top/clean guys so he gets some good "pack racing" practice!

miagi
02-08-2015, 22:25
I say we organize a community race for Chris: GT4 @ Road America. ;)

We can get some of the top/clean guys so he gets some good "pack racing" practice!

:> If we stay perfectly clean it's not a fully realistic simulation of the real race ;)

Umer Ahmad
03-08-2015, 03:05
I've raced with you guys, it won't be 100% clean :)

csbeau1969
05-08-2015, 01:07
Hi all:

Tomorrow I head to Road America to begin testing in the Boss 302R. A few comments following daily testing for an hour to about 2 hours per day the past week, and some things that I have learned about pCARS in the process.

A few notes - I am using no driver's aids but will probably change to realistic as the Boss 302R uses ABS. I occasionally get lockup in pCARS during a hard race and except under equipment failure have not gotten lock-up in either the Boss 302R or Mazda MX-5 cars I race in real life. (www.xbordermotorsports.com). I am also using 100% AI, which is I believe mostly realistic by comparison to what I have seen in the professional series I race in. Note that when I was racing in the regional series, they were not as aggressive or talented in getting around a slower driver. One item of note, the AI cuts corners too often and quickly, which is not usually the way that faster cars pass, they usually out brake you and take the preferred line through the corner. I am able to run the fastest times at 100% in the Boss 302R vs. the AI but the Ginetta GT4 and Aston Martin GT4 are faster and hard to beat with the Boss 302R. Less difficult at race pace but not in a qualifying session; at least at Road America.

Learning's:
1. Be aware that there are both hard and soft slicks for (GT4) race cars. My best time on soft slicks is ~2:18.8 in the Boss 302, 2:21 on hard slicks. Interesting to note that vs. the GS spec in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, times are very similar vs. the real world professionals (podium) on hard slicks. Note: I am a "gentlemen" racer in professional series, not a paid professional - my sim times are comparable but my real track times are not quite there yet; wallet and consequence "effect" :-). We run 2.5 hours races with 60-65 minutes between pit stops (fuel limited) and thus the tires are hard slicks for endurance racing. I have been running 22 laps races in pCARS, which is equivalent to the stint I expect to run or just over an hour of racing. On soft slicks, the handling drops off significantly after about 30-35 minutes of hard racing (consistent laps at 2:19-2:20). On hard slicks, they are fairly consistent at lap times around 2:22 for an hour or longer (I have only run an hour and 15 minutes).
2. 80 liters of fuel is good for 22 laps plus a bit at Road America. This fuel burn is a little higher than the actual from our Boss 302R, which is 70 liters for the same time frame.

Car feel notes (I will reply on Road America specifics after the race weekend):
1. As I mentioned previously, the brake release and mid-corner rolling speed is very accurate.
2. The momentum and roll of the car is very accurate. Many are taught (myself included) that the foot should be either on the gas or brake... however, not in the Boss 302R due to the "live axle" and you have to roll completely off throttle at times (and not on the brake) to get the nose to point, especially in carousel type corners.
3. The Jack Spade base FFB files have the most accurate feel (folder #1). Note: I am using the Fanatec ClubSport Wheel (v1 and v2, I have two different simulators).
4. Area for improvement: the car slides a bit too much at the limit, the slip angle is likely a bit too large and flat. I think that the curve should likely have a bit more grip but be more peaked (width of 3-4 degrees and it feels like it may be 5-7 degrees), at least on slicks. On performance/street tires it is 7-10 degrees. However, I am not an expert and leave it to the tire engineers. However, it feels the car does not lose enough speed when "over sliding" the tires through the corner.
5. It is too fast to cut corners (driving through the apex, part track part grass).
6. The car acceleration feels accurate, the nose dive and pointing on braking is also accurate. It is easier to get rear wheel spin in the real car.

Anyway, that is enough for now... have a great week and weekend and tune into www.imsa.com this weekend for the race!

Thank you,

Chris Beaufait

bmanic
10-08-2015, 23:09
Any news on this? How did your race go?

Would you mind being my guinea pig in a FFB experiment I'm doing? The Boss is one of my favorite cars in pCars so naturally I've driven it a lot. It also means I've quite finely tuned the FFB for it and I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on how it feels with some FFB tweaks. Need to know what wheel you are using though.

kalbo777
11-08-2015, 04:21
Any news on this? How did your race go?

Would you mind being my guinea pig in a FFB experiment I'm doing? The Boss is one of my favorite cars in pCars so naturally I've driven it a lot. It also means I've quite finely tuned the FFB for it and I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on how it feels with some FFB tweaks. Need to know what wheel you are using though.

Chris mentions above that he's using the Fanatec ClubSport v1 & v2.

Umer Ahmad
13-08-2015, 05:03
Any news on this? How did your race go?.

http://youtu.be/2KF051sLyq0