PDA

View Full Version : Career mode is dead

Bongomaster
02-08-2015, 06:22
I really like Project Cars in most regards. The cars and tracks are beautifully realised and the feel of driving is great, but I'm first and foremost a single-player guy.

The online events are good, but there's only maybe 2 "races" (read: hotlaps) each weekend if you're lucky, sometimes none. I'm not one for PvP online, due to ramming, lag, people quitting halfway through races, etc. Not just a problem with pCARS, but online racers in general.

No, for me, single-player career is where it's at... or at least should be.
Problem #1: Expanded content not included
This is the biggie for me. pCARS looks set to double its roster of vehicles and significantly increase the number of tracks, but none of this will be available to me in career mode. I know there are a few career events "coming soon", but why on earth can't I drive all the new GT and LMP cars (et al.) in the bulk of the career? These should be very easy to make accessible.
I understand that the DLC tracks would be slightly harder to implement, but look at what Dirt Rally is doing: it mixes in the new stages/tracks and cars as they become available through a random championship generator. Dirt Rally is built on a similar model, which adds content as the months go by and should be an inspiration to SMS in how they handle their content.

Problem #2: AI issues still not addressed?
I put a question mark there because I still don't know if this is fixed. I've seriously just dropped this game until the AI is appropriately affected by the rain. This put a stop to my single-player career (90% of how I choose to play) and now I just do the community hotlaps every now and again.

Suggestions
I quite like the basic concept of how you choose which events to enter throughout a calendar season and continue on ad infinitum. I think it needs to be made more dynamic and more integral to the rest of the game.
Sorry to harp on about Dirt Rally's career model, but I really think it has a better direction (still in development). As mentioned, it dynamically creates randomised championships depending on how well you've performed previously and the kicker is that it allows you to select cars and tracks that are still being added. Also it constantly has community events on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, which is actually PART of your personal career. pCARS career mode feels completely separate to the rest of the game, making it awkward and disjointed, shoehorned away behind the online component.
A daily event would be like your current hotlaps, weekly would be a race weekend kinda thing, and monthly would be a decent-sized championship.
And address the above two problems please.

I REALLY want to be able to play this game a lot more than I have been. Give me hope that I can come back to pCARS with a decent career mode.

Dresden
02-08-2015, 06:54
I find that I am also playing less career, not for the reasons you have stated, but mostly because I am playing with the single race weekend more and more. I create my own 8 race championship and have fun with all the added content. Obviously I cannot roll over the points but I still have a rough feel for how I compare to the AI. I hope that SMS will add custom championships to the game, as this is where the future of single player lies.

I do agree that all added content should be added to career for those who wish to use it. We shall see what happens there.

AI does feel heaps better than before, though I haven't fully tested the rain problems you have mentioned to see if they still exist. I have had to scale back the AI by 10 as they are racing heaps faster (which I like).

tgrey
02-08-2015, 07:00
I might be mistaken, but I'd swear my newest career mode run had an LMP race at Ruapuna. Almost certain of it.

I'm pretty sure that's a career started after the DLC was released, so maybe that makes a difference?

xautos
02-08-2015, 07:07
i dont play career much because the ai doesnt pose the same challenge another racer can provide, good bad or indifferent, thats part of the charm of online racing. it wouldnt matter if extra content was added. the ai is no player, and so its utterly predictable.

steviraikkonen
02-08-2015, 07:16
Currently the only way to get invitationals at ruapuna is if you haven't managed 22 career podiums. You unlock them at that point. People who have been playing for ages have resorted to deleting their save. This has been noted (I think) and will be fixed.

In the mean time I like to set a 22 car grid at oulton park, gt3, start last, ramp up the difficulty... Go go go :)

Poulka
02-08-2015, 07:18
I have a new career as well and Raupauna has an LMP 900 event as well as a historic trans am race that uses the Audi 90 got and Ford Mustang Cobras.

Pirategenius
02-08-2015, 13:00
If they implemented a MP career mode that would be interesting. But at the moment career mode is good. New cars and track are included

Mahjik
02-08-2015, 15:01
I REALLY want to be able to play this game a lot more than I have been. Give me hope that I can come back to pCARS with a decent career mode.

You might be interested in track this thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32381-Custom-championships-a-question-for-Mr-Bell&p=1017081&viewfull=1#post1017081

Mr Akina
02-08-2015, 17:59
There's no atmosphere in career mode.

Your teammate is in another garage, in another livery and sometimes in another car all together.

Racers in the championships seem to score points at random, there's no performance consistency to the AI - a guy that finished second in my last championship, didn't score a point in the last 4 races!

MrFlibble81
02-08-2015, 18:11
I wouldn't say career mode is dead. It certainly lacks atmosphere and doesn't feel particularly immersive to me but it can still be fun.

That being said though, I haven't touched career mode in a while! I've been doing quick weekends racing 30-40 laps in GT3 cars recently. Immense fun!!

Kitt
02-08-2015, 19:23

Your teammate is in another garage, in another livery and sometimes in another car all together.

Racers in the championships seem to score points at random, there's no performance consistency to the AI - a guy that finished second in my last championship, didn't score a point in the last 4 races!This hit the nail on the head,add in the desolate pitlanes with tumbleweed blowing around,it just doesn't feel like the ultimate journey

Linus27
02-08-2015, 19:49
I wouldn't say career mode is dead. It certainly lacks atmosphere and doesn't feel particularly immersive to me but it can still be fun.

That being said though, I haven't touched career mode in a while! I've been doing quick weekends racing 30-40 laps in GT3 cars recently. Immense fun!!

This is all I do as well. The career mode was pointless for me so just run single race events. Just need a custom championship creator to make it perfect.

wraithsrike
02-08-2015, 20:17
I agree career for me is lifeless and hollow, no link to your team or team mate no crew, inconsistent AI so no memesis so championships for the most part are pointless.

Mp keeps crashing back to home page so I can't play that , time trials without friends LBs are for me a waste of time so im left with solo and thats just as hollow maybe if you could set up a custom championship it would breath some sort of life into it but as it stands its got a bit ho hum.

As much as I hate to say it I think Pcars is dieing a death with me now none of my friends play anymore most of them have gone back to Forza inc my boy for there online fix , I think come September our 3 copies will most likely be traded in.

The physics in this game are second to none but the rest of the game around it just has too many issues and short falls .

FA RACING 01
02-08-2015, 20:43
After many career issues I sticked to Time Trial's as they always worked 100% for me, even with the crazy track limits. With the track limits under revision by SMS I really looked forward to TT's, but now suddenly after a few days absence because my TX destroyed itself, TT's keeps on freezing for me and I manage to finish 1 out of about every 10 sessions. Now I really dont know any more either. Perhaps just take a break.

madmax2069
02-08-2015, 21:11
To me career mode is non existent, I bought PCARS for online mode.

Now if they was to make a career mode co-op then I'd more then likely play it.

stangnutlx
02-08-2015, 21:13
The AI in this game is terrible, they don't race they just follow the car in front of it.

wraithsrike
02-08-2015, 21:30
To me career mode is non existent, I bought PCARS for online mode.

Now if they was to make a career mode co-op then I'd more then likely play it.

I said this right at the very beginning.

maurice-pascale
02-08-2015, 21:30
The AI in this game is terrible, they don't race they just follow the car in front of it.

True.......with the AI there never happens something exciting!...they always drive absolute same and folow the car infront....and always the same off-road mistakes, i can set my clock on their off-road mistakes......a bit more action and something not predictable would be great

Linus27
02-08-2015, 21:42
True.......with the AI there never happens something exciting!...they always drive absolute same and folow the car infront....and always the same off-road mistakes, i can set my clock on their off-road mistakes......a bit more action and something not predictable would be great

Have you watched the AI at Road America? They are so predictable, always making the same mistakes at the same corner. The left hand 90 at the bottom of the hill at the end of the long straight is hilarious. They all run wide just about every time :)

OperatorWay
02-08-2015, 21:50
I use the single-player career mode more like a "tour" through the game's cars & tracks, like a "sampler" to get a taste of the game's variety with car+track+climate combinations that I may have never thought to try on my own through custom events.

Mr Akina
02-08-2015, 23:08

Racers in the championships seem to score points at random, there's no performance consistency to the AI - a guy that finished second in my last championship, didn't score a point in the last 4 races!

Oh, and don't get me started on your engineer.. They keep flashing up "ask your engineer" etc. at the bottom of the loading screens - which you can't! He gives you no useful info whatever, then tells you to pull in for your mandatory pit stop on Lap 2 of 20. If this game is "The Ultimate Driver Journey", expect your tyres to be f@cked at the end of it...

Even crews in the lowest tiers of Motorsport look at the weather pre-race, why can't you, Ben Collins? Why?

steviraikkonen
03-08-2015, 05:48
I haven't been asked to pit in ages for tires, can't remember when I last did. I'm in formula a career sure it used to do?

bodyshop
03-08-2015, 07:15
The problem will be if they dont get some kind of custom championship into this game then what i've noticed is a few mates and work collegues who waited are picking this up second hand from trade in stores / ebay etc for like 20 so SMS won't sell many new copies its just a cycle of the old ones being traded as people get fed up with it, savvy people and not the "must be first inline at 12am to pay top price", are going into shops seeing 'new game 40" second hand 20 and they will go for the cheaper one. If they are waiting for custom championships so they think they can get a buy in for new customers to PCars2 its a big gamble....

Why not even a simple custom championship where you can pick a car and theres like 10 tracks preselected and you chose lap count and AI number and difficulty..they can add custom but i think they are witholding till PCars 2.....

bodyshop
03-08-2015, 07:19
I also think if they drop a custom championship element into this game just before Forza 6 it could worry Turn 10 a tad.......come on Ian...

Ixoye56
03-08-2015, 07:20
A custom championship creator would be better than this flawed career mode.

danowat
03-08-2015, 08:16
Dunno about the career mode being dead, but I am on the final race of what has been an extremely exciting GT4 US season, probably the best series of racing against AI in a game I've ever played.

Cornflex
03-08-2015, 09:09
Problem #3: no random weather in career mode!

This is the biggest showstopper for me.

Bongomaster
03-08-2015, 09:11
Custom championships are good and all, but I hope that if they add them, they make it part of the career, with some sort of progression or ultimate goal.

Call me a rabbit, but I need that carrot to inspire me.

Machinist90
03-08-2015, 09:33
the career team signing isn't consistent enough to validate itself,you sign with a team...but you and your so called "team mate" have different overalls,which change every race,different liveries,your team's name isn't even on the car,these are all small things but these are the things that give a connection between you and your team. The only feeling I get from signing with a team is being limited in my choices...want to race GT3 endurance? tough luck mate,here have 2 GT4 and 2 LMP2 random teams...they don't mean anything and have the exact same expectations so...have fun...

It's hardly a career,it's a limitation,just let me choose a tier,choose a car,a livery and let me do the season in that combo cause I have 0 interest in my "team"...if you wanted a proper career mode you should have made it more like Grid,your team,your fight to the top.

bodyshop
03-08-2015, 09:45
Custom championships are good and all, but I hope that if they add them, they make it part of the career, with some sort of progression or ultimate goal.

Call me a rabbit, but I need that carrot to inspire me.

Yeah because trying to win the overall championship is never a goal in real life....oh..hang on a minute..

Chevi
03-08-2015, 09:50
The career Mode ist the only mode I play. I like the way to unlock invitational events by winning championships. I would like to complete the career mode (not possible at the moment because of unlock bugs) and start it again with higher AI.

A custom championship creator would be nice. :rolleyes:

Dean2
03-08-2015, 10:09
Lmp3 rookie first race at donington : palmer jaguar first go at it what a beauty, a cracker of a that thing just arrrrrrr

Sorry couldn't help myself