PDA

View Full Version : Nordschleife Group 5 Turbo Extravaganza

Joni Varis
02-08-2015, 15:42
This doesnt seem to have thread yet so decided to make one :)

Did few laps myself this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOH5M0KPkqU

Mostly default setup. Only changed wastegate pressure to max, longer gearing to suit the extra power & the usual lower brake duct & radiator.

choupolo
02-08-2015, 17:34
Nice lap Joni.

Any tips on getting a higher top speed. I've got max wastegate and longer gears but still max out from lack of power at 10 mph less than you.

I do have ducts and radiator up a bit. Do you have them closed completely? Also have rear wing at 4...

Best time of mine so far is 6.56 (although I haven't set it yet officially!)

Joni Varis
02-08-2015, 18:17
Radiator had at minimum, brake duct at 10,rear wing at default ( 3? ),gearing final & 5th gear both click longer.

choupolo
02-08-2015, 19:14
Great thanks. I'm hitting about the same top speed now.

I think I've ruined the suspension though so back to default it goes! :rolleyes:

Could do a 6.48 - 6.49 I think but I'm not fast enough through corners like the 1st carousel. Always losing the back end over bumps but if I soften the rear I then understeer in the fast corners, so I don't have the confidence yet!

Greg Montes
02-08-2015, 20:45

OperatorWay
02-08-2015, 20:55
Thanks for sharing Joni. It's quite a challenge for me just to get a clean lap around Nordschleife, let alone a fast one. :)

...Edit: May I humbly suggest/request that you (& others) put your lap time in the title and/or description of your YouTube videos? Sometimes I search YouTube to see examples of how fast drivers tackle certain car+track combinations (in various racing games), but I waste time on videos of slow laps because many YouTube racers don't include their lap time in their video title or description. Thanks.

havocc
03-08-2015, 18:23
Quite odd to see those times with that car, i mean... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nordschleife_lap_times_(racing)

Manmadesmiith
03-08-2015, 19:02
Radiator had at minimum, brake duct at 10,rear wing at default ( 3? ),gearing final & 6th gear both click longer.

Hi guys, would it be cheating if I used these tips to set a time lol? I always feel I'm cheating when using other people's set ups instead of figuring it out myself. But I know nothing about setups.

Joni Varis
04-08-2015, 15:54
Hi guys, would it be cheating if I used these tips to set a time lol? I always feel I'm cheating when using other people's set ups instead of figuring it out myself. But I know nothing about setups.

Heh, offcourse its not cheating. If someone gives tips that helps you to improve then go for it.

Anyway did few laps earlier today & best was 6:30.526

Its very tricky to get lap together with this combo, specially while pushing its very easy to make mistake which cost chunks of time. Even on this lap did several shift misses on upshifts (likely didnt push the clutch enough) & almost lost the car few times on downshifts when didnt manage to blip/revmatch proberly. If would somehow get lap done without mistakes around 6.28 mid/high should be doable according sector pb:s, but tbh cant see that happening as i always mess up atleast slightly at some point :)

PorscheFanatic7
04-08-2015, 17:00
Quite odd to see those times with that car, i mean... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nordschleife_lap_times_(racing)

Looks like the recorded times for the Zakspeed were on an older and longer version of the Nordschleife. From the wikipedia page you linked, it looks like that older version was 22.8 km and the newer/current one is 20.8 km.

EDIT:
20.8 km / 22.8 km = 91.2%
6:30 / 7:08 = 390 / 428 = 91.1%

Seems pretty darn close to me

b_akerlite
05-08-2015, 15:52
Despite my appalling non-competitiveness regarding times I have to say this is my favorite event o far.

There are times when you are stringing the corners together and being an old turbo you are really ragging it..... very immersive and bloody great fun!

xxTheGoDxx
05-08-2015, 16:25
Hi guys, would it be cheating if I used these tips to set a time lol? I always feel I'm cheating when using other people's set ups instead of figuring it out myself. But I know nothing about setups.I know the feeling, I really try to not read up setups so I can make my own exeriences, but the posted one are just common sense for the challenge I think. Check out this video series for in depth tutorials about tuning. (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0mMUyR61ger2c3bgtJMzhXaWZcl0IPaA). It helped me allot.

Thanks for sharing Joni. It's quite a challenge for me just to get a clean lap around Nordschleife, let alone a fast one. :)
You and me both. Just can't remember the speed/gear for all those corners in section 2, let alone ideal breaking points.

RTA nOsKiLlS
06-08-2015, 10:45
I know the feeling, I really try to not read up setups so I can make my own exeriences, but the posted one are just common sense for the challenge I think. Check out this video series for in depth tutorials about tuning. (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0mMUyR61ger2c3bgtJMzhXaWZcl0IPaA). It helped me allot.

You and me both. Just can't remember the speed/gear for all those corners in section 2, let alone ideal breaking points.

It's not cheating using someone else's setup. Not everyone understands the tuning. Also, its still you doing the driving. :)

Psychomatrix
06-08-2015, 12:49
Looks like the recorded times for the Zakspeed were on an older and longer version of the Nordschleife. From the wikipedia page you linked, it looks like that older version was 22.8 km and the newer/current one is 20.8 km.

EDIT:
20.8 km / 22.8 km = 91.2%
6:30 / 7:08 = 390 / 428 = 91.1%

Seems pretty darn close to me

Before the new track was start to build in 83 or 82 the drove over the Südkehre. a part of that section is now the current start finish straight of the gp circuit.

havocc
06-08-2015, 15:43
Just managed to do a clean lap, 8.10 :(

Psychomatrix
06-08-2015, 16:18
Just managed to do a clean lap, 8.10 :(

Hey keep up head high :)That car track combination is not easy. Lot of can't drive a valid lap with this car. It's take some time to learn that track. There are many bumps and every car react different. Best way is to learn the track with a car that you know well.

Joni Varis
06-08-2015, 16:28
I would say best approach is just to use default setup with the car first & do few "slow" laps while learning the track proberly. When you get familiar with the combo then turn boost up, tweak setup & gradually increase the speed for better laptimes. Biggest mistake is just to turn the boost to max straight away, or tweak setup "blind" and try to push it. That most likely just leads to non completed laps.

Stock set without any changes is good for low 6.40:s or even high 6.30.

RTA nOsKiLlS
07-08-2015, 21:42
This is my best at the moment. Shame I made a complete mess of the carousel. ;) 6.37.757

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNM2vrA0VEs&feature=youtu.be&list=PLC6g4mDRZ4s-kwlrkAOkWvfpMDJhltzfw

Joni Varis
08-08-2015, 05:50
Well calling small mistake like running wide at carrousel to "complete mess" is bit of an overstatement, perfect lap hardly ever happen on such long track. Afterall you didnt really loose more than half a sec by that :)

Nice lap anyway.

Iwanchek
08-08-2015, 12:17
unplayable on ds4

RTA nOsKiLlS
08-08-2015, 13:44
Well calling small mistake like running wide at carrousel to "complete mess" is bit of an overstatement, perfect lap hardly ever happen on such long track. Afterall you didnt really loose more than half a sec by that :)

Nice lap anyway.

Thanks,

Yeah I guess its not as bad as it felt at the time. :)