PDA

View Full Version : Tips for races with dynamic weather?

jack1984
02-08-2015, 19:43
Hi guys!

I just had a great endurance race on the Nurburgring during career mode! However, how do you manage with the dynamic weather and make strategic decisions in such situations?

This was my situation: after 50% of the race it started to rain, but the engineer gave me no information about the status of weather. Will it last 5 minutes or one hour? So I observed the AI and saw that my lead greatly increased, so I thought: the AI is surely pitting for rain tires. And yes, they did! I pitted also and dropped from the 1st to the 3rd place since 2 drivers stayed on slicks (I would later catch them in the race, because they were struggling). Then after 3 or 4 laps in the rain the engineer says: it's going to rain for the next 30 minutes. What the heck? So he is telling me this NOW?

Fortunately, the decision I made was a good bet, but isn't there another, better way to decide what to do? So my question is: how are you handeling this kind of situations? Any good tips or tricks?

danowat
02-08-2015, 19:48
I'd say you handled it about as well as you could have done, considering the limited information the game gives you.

jack1984
02-08-2015, 20:09
I'd say you handled it about as well as you could have done, considering the limited information the game gives you.

Thanks! :)

However, do you know whether SMS is planning to do something about this? Because weather predication and making strategic decisions about it is absolutely key in racing, especially during longer races like Endurance. Now it is more a gamble I am afraid. Furthermore, the AI has a unfair advantage in this situation, since they apparently have some information about the future weather.

OperatorWay
02-08-2015, 20:40
...Then after 3 or 4 laps in the rain the engineer says: it's going to rain for the next 30 minutes. What the heck? So he is telling me this NOW?...

LOL! Yeah, he's done that to me too. That engineer could use a refresher course in basic meteorology. :)

jack1984
02-08-2015, 21:54
LOL! Yeah, he's done that to me too. That engineer could use a refresher course in basic meteorology. :)

Or maybe the engineer needs to work on his timing, since he apparently has the information. :p Why not share it with me when it STARTS raining? Or even better, informing me before the start that there is a x% chance of rain during the middle of the race.

doodleco
03-08-2015, 08:00
I too had the same question going through my head during this same race. As you say, at around half distance there are spots of rain and track turns a little damp. Unfortunately I made the wrong call and decided to gamble with a set of intermediates thinking that the rain might stop in a few minutes (oops). Perhaps what needs to be included is a weather forecast prior to the start, just a simple screen showing a brief description of what to expect... "clear start, 70% chance of rain in the second half of the race".