PDA

View Full Version : Do tracks have varying grip and impact on mechanics?

Nats
03-08-2015, 12:43
I always wanted this with F1 Challenge but was never sure whether it was implemented in that game: do tracks have variable grip and do some have more bumps that impact on suspension failures etc? For example do desert tracks have less grip on early laps due to sand etc? Would be great to see these sorts of subtle effects in the game.

creepyd
03-08-2015, 12:49
I have wondered about the variable grip thing too.
Even as simple as on or off the racing line.
Also when it's light rain, the racing line in real life would generally be much dryer than the 'dirty' part of the track.

IJerichoI
03-08-2015, 13:01
IIRC this technology is implemented. What we definitely have is a drying line. Sometimes these grip level changes between racing lines or conditions are rather subtle.

bmanic
03-08-2015, 13:24
You can definitely feel the change in track grip over a race weekend and you can feel the difference temperature makes.. which naturally makes some tracks feel grippier than others due to location.

Mahjik
03-08-2015, 14:54
I always wanted this with F1 Challenge but was never sure whether it was implemented in that game: do tracks have variable grip and do some have more bumps that impact on suspension failures etc? For example do desert tracks have less grip on early laps due to sand etc? Would be great to see these sorts of subtle effects in the game.

All the tracks have the same traction (just think of the tarmac all being of the same material). However, not all of the tracks have the same grip as it will vary based on ambient temperatures/weather. The tracks do rubber-in as more driving is done. The more cars, the quicker the track rubbers-in.

As far as suspension damage, I don't know if it's enabled but the game engine does have suspension damage. It wouldn't necessarily happen from bumps in the tarmac, but it can happen from bouncing over the curbs too much. I say I don't know if it's enabled as it was during development but I'm not sure if it's still active in the release. It would take a fairly long race to see any failures in this area (i.e. think 12 Hours of Sebring).

MrFlibble81
03-08-2015, 15:32
I'm pretty sure the tracks "rubber in" over time and also the time of day [track temp] has an impact too.