PDA

View Full Version : Driving assists

Onikami
03-08-2015, 13:41
Im not using any but it just came to my mind. With driving assists like antilock TC and SC, will you drive or be slower?

AB_Attack
03-08-2015, 13:43
The vast majority will be faster with these aids.

F1_Racer68
03-08-2015, 13:57
Many experienced sim racers feel they slow you down. I sometimes feel this way as well especially in regards to TC. The TC uses rev limiting. Unfortunately I find it often cuts the revs just at the point that I want high revs to begin accelerating. It throws my timing off and therefore my corner exit speed is reduced resulting in a slightly slower lap time.

However, since my main goal is to replicate reality, I leave the aids set to REAL and learn to work with them (for the cars that have them). There are some adjustments you can make to the car that affect things like ABS and TC, so I try to work with the aids to get the maximum out of the car (and me).

FA RACING 01
03-08-2015, 14:00
On games like Forza, these driving assist would definitely lead to slower lap times. On PCars though, using these assist makes it easier to drive and allows for example to do trail braking, hence giving you an advantage and will lead to faster lap times in comparison to not using them. In this game using TC might limit peak revving, but advantages of trail braking counters that. There are however some top racers that are blazing fast without them, but I havn't seen there times with assist turned on [and off course apply serious effort to adjust the tunes] so that we can get a real comparison. So for the average to above average driver, using assist in PCars will be faster.

bodyshop
03-08-2015, 16:29
The vast majority will be faster with these aids.

Totally wrong.

Mahjik
03-08-2015, 17:29
As FA RACING 01 mentions, it's the braking where the assists provide the biggest boost. TC/SC allow a driver to be more consistent over a longer race. The ABS is a little too good allowing people to close up on shorter braking distances than those not using ABS (as you can really stand on the brakes with ABS). Given that, a person will be faster if they take advantage of that and attack the braking zones. If a driver simply enables the assists without altering their driving then they won't be any faster.

Fight-Test
03-08-2015, 17:51
Totally wrong.

he's not wrong. Would you like to elaborate? Some cars can and will be faster with assist. GT3 for example. This isnt forza dude.

FA RACING 01
03-08-2015, 18:02
he's not wrong. Would you like to elaborate? Some cars can and will be faster with assist. GT3 for example. This isnt forza dude.

Yes. The effect of assist in this game is different than as experienced in Forza. If used correct, you will be faster, no doubt.

AfterAll14
04-08-2015, 00:51
Im not using any but it just came to my mind. With driving assists like antilock TC and SC, will you drive or be slower?

ABS gain is something like 0.2-0.5sec/per minute on any vehicle. It depends on track/car combination. In Monza in GT3 you will not notice it, in Spa it will give you boost up to 1.0 sec. It aslo gives you huge boost in lap times consistency, and it is much easier to extract 100% out of the car.
TC slows you down with low-power cars, and gives you advantage on cars like McLaren F1 with very high power/weight ratio and slippery tyres.
SC slows you down to prevent oversteer/spinning. Completly useless assist. Significantly decreases car agility.

Here is comparison for Ruf rgt-8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpiCGwx565s

And also one important thing about assists: you have to resetup the car to extract 100% out of it. Car setups with ABS on and off are slightly different. As well as driving technique.