PDA

View Full Version : MS Sidewinder wheel any good?

Nats
04-08-2015, 12:45
I am considering buying a second hand MS Sidewinder force feedback wheel for this game and was wondering if people who are using one can let me know how they work with the game - ie do you get decent force feedback?

At the moment I have a FF2 joystick and am very pleased with it but dont get very good control and no FF in this game with it. Thus the reason for getting the wheel. I am aware that the best wheel is the G27 but I am not spending that money on a wheel for one game when I can get a MS wheel for 30.

I do see the Sidewinder has an actual dedicated profile for it in the game - so that must mean it works well in this game does it? And anyone using it with Windows 7? Is it still ok? My FF2 joystick doesn't have downloadable drivers for Win7 anymore but for most games it works fine (not this one though typically :mad:) through the default Win 7 driver. Is this the same for the wheel as I assume the driver support has been discontinued. I am not bothered though as long as it works well in this game.

What kind of control do you get with the wheel. It looks like it only turns around half way or so (not like other wheels which can turn several revolutions like real car steering wheels) ? - does that still give you good control of the car. As I find its the degree of control into and out of corners is where the joystick fails due to lack of sideways sensitivity - great for planes, not so great for cars!

Bluedice
04-08-2015, 12:58
They still exist? Haven't seen one in ten years or more.

If you're on PC I believe you can get better wheels at this point in time. Logitech DFGT, G25, G27, etc are all most likely far better wheels.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
04-08-2015, 13:06
I am aware that the best wheel is the G27Not even by a long shot. "Best mid-priced wheel" at best.

I really wouldn't recommend the MS Sidewinder wheel at this point in time. It was the best when it came out, but it's been hopelessly outdated for decade now. The USB polling rate is slow (meaning FFB and wheel position updates are sparse, and modern high speed FFB systems can overwhelm it), etc.

If you're on a budget, probably the best new wheel I could recommend is the Logitech Driving Force GT, it's a proven wheel and features plenty of buttons and knobs, plus has 900 degree range of motion, and it's pretty cheap. It's accurate and quite forceful, and definitely capable of fast driving, only really let down compared to other wheels by the plastic feel (but you're not going to get a metal construction for cheap), slow rotation speed (when compared to stuff like the Thrustmaster T500) and only having two pedals. Still, for the price it's the best I know of.

A used G25 or G27 would also work on a budget. In my experience those bases tend to either break as soon as you get them, or last almost forever. My first two G25s broke within weeks, under warranty, but the third one has stood the test of time for a decade, and shows no signs of stopping. So if someone has a working G25/G27 that they've used for a while now for sale, there's a good chance it'll last a long time.

Dutchmountains
04-08-2015, 13:23
I have also the best experience with the g27 logitech.
Its absolutely worth the price.

Kelderek
04-08-2015, 19:01
There are no drivers available from Microsoft for the Sidewinder wheels.
I had one of those many years ago until Microsoft stopped supporting them.

You can find old XP drivers from various online sources and try to run them in compatibility mode... but it seems risky!

snipeme77
04-08-2015, 19:04
DON'T DO IT MAN, PUT DOWN THE CREDIT CARD!

Nats
04-08-2015, 20:20
If you're on a budget, probably the best new wheel I could recommend is the Logitech Driving Force GT,

Is that better than the Logitech Driving Force Pro as I can probably get one of those instead?

Topsie
04-08-2015, 21:12
If I was you, I'd go with the DFGT. I got one with a stand on ebay for 80 and its massively improved my enjoyment of the game.

Its not top specced, but you will love it with this game. For me the FFB and precision is good enough if you are on a budget

CDN_Merlin
04-08-2015, 21:19
I had the Sidewinder non FF and then upgraded to the FF version and it was the best out at the time. Now I've had the G25 for at least 10 years and it hasn't failed me yet. Rock solid construction.

Namron
05-08-2015, 00:27
I too went the Logitech GT route after needing to buy a wheel for this Sim & like you just couldn't justify the asking price for the other Logitech options like the G27 & G29 e.t.c & so I opted for the GT & it just works pretty much straight out the box on PCars with good FFB & a good amount of programmable buttons if you fancy mapping out your own little bits & bods if your not happy with the stock settings for the Sim. It's what I've done & I am more than happy with the Logitech GT Wheel & feel it was worth the price as it works :encouragement:...

Trouble is if you go for something maybe cheaper it just might not work so well & believe you me that's gonna spoil the Game totally, IMO It pays to get something that's going to work & be of a fair build quality with plenty of mapping out buttons e.t.c if you need them (& I think you will... I find it a great help).... But... Hey!!!..... At the end of the day only you can make the choice & what funds allow, But if you can stretch to the GT Wheel I don't think you'll regret it :)...

Nam......

Nats
05-08-2015, 20:35
So does anyone have a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel they want to sell me lol!?! If so message me. Having trouble getting one second hand ...

andycass
06-08-2015, 05:58
So does anyone have a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel they want to sell me lol!?! If so message me. Having trouble getting one second hand ...

I'm about to throw mine out sick of storing it. And i hate posting stuff . cant give it away to my friends. i dont know where you are but if yo could collect you could have it for free.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
06-08-2015, 09:00
Is that better than the Logitech Driving Force Pro as I can probably get one of those instead?It's a bit better, not as pretty as the DFP but has better button layout, the internals should be pretty much identical. DFP isn't a bad wheel either.

Nats
06-08-2015, 13:20
I'm about to throw mine out sick of storing it. And i hate posting stuff . cant give it away to my friends. i dont know where you are but if yo could collect you could have it for free.

Sent you a message about it cheers.

Psychomatrix
06-08-2015, 13:39
Lol I have one sidewinder I was f...g angry as ms stop supported the gameport version at that time. Then ive past the best selling time. Lol

IanSmith
07-08-2015, 23:42
My Sidewinder worked ok under Windows 8. Doesn't work on Windows 10.

Daffers
09-08-2015, 08:53
I have a Thrustmaster T100 and i am actually quite happy with it, if you want to spend a little less than the driving force this might also be an option.

Nats
09-08-2015, 11:56
I have a Thrustmaster T100 and i am actually quite happy with it, if you want to spend a little less than the driving force this might also be an option.

Got a practically new Logitech Driving Force GT wheel for 55 on Ebay - that's not bad I feel, its about half price. I think its a better choice than the Sidewinder which has stopped being supported. CCShame though because the Sidewinder products are generally top notch - certainly my joystick is brilliant and has lasted me for many many years. But games are not supporting its Force Feedback these days so its starting to show its age.

Ralph B
09-08-2015, 21:02
Then be happy! Had - better said, still have a MS Sidewinder laying somewhere arround. Was an excellent wheel at it's time. But outdated nowadays. No drivers anymore that really work with newer OS. And if it's the old, not USB version with a gameport plug like the one I have, many modern Computers even don't have the right connection.