PDA

View Full Version : What is this OSD icon for?

DevonK
04-08-2015, 13:10
When driving the Audi R8 V10+, what looks like a battery charging icon (with a lightning bolt through it) shows up next to the gas gauge display. It's a solid white. I thought it might possibly be for KERS charge storage (although I was pretty sure this R8 did not have that option IRL) so I "discharged" KERS but there was no change in the icon. The icon did not appear with other Audis I tried (GT3, A1). What's it doing there? There is no reference to it in the online "game guide" or the quick start manual.

MysterG
04-08-2015, 13:14
It's there incorrectly IIRC due to the way the 4WD simulation uses aspects of KERS simulation, but I stand to be corrected.

Fong74
04-08-2015, 13:22
Its in the HUD of the IMSA, too. And that car also did not have such systems....

So its a bug I guess. A minor one, but it needs to be removed some time.

DevonK
04-08-2015, 13:24
It's there incorrectly IIRC due to the way the 4WD simulation uses aspects of KERS simulation, but I stand to be corrected.Interesting - although the Audi A1 is also AWD and does not have the icon.

Mahjik
04-08-2015, 13:29
It's not a bug (and WMD members should know this). The KERS implementation is used to aid in the simulation the Quattro system. It's a side effect of using that implementation in this fashion in which it displays the KERS icon on the HUD.

danowat
04-08-2015, 13:29
Interesting - although the Audi A1 is also AWD and does not have the icon.

I believe it's a way to manage torque vectoring within the bounds of the current engine.

Maybe the A1 doesn't have torque vectoring?

Fong74
04-08-2015, 13:42
It's not a bug (and WMD members should know this). The KERS implementation is used to aid in the simulation the Quattro system. It's a side effect of using that implementation in this fashion in which it displays the KERS icon on the HUD.

Well, then it sould be on the list of things that need to be explained to the users....be them WMD members or not. I was not aware of any implication between 4WD and that GUI element at all tbh :o But I will now spread the info as good as I can :cool:

NemethR
04-08-2015, 14:29

I would like to disagree.

Because the Audi A1 quattro, also uses the quattro system (4WD), and does NOT have this icon.
Nor does the Mitsubishi EVO X or the Mercedes A45 AMG (both 4WD cars).

Because of this I would call it a bug.

Also note, that the Audi R8 V10 does nto use the same quattro system as the IMSA GTO.
The IMSA GTO used the "Torsen" (torques sensitive) system that was used in the legendary Audi S1 Ralyl car, and also the Audi A4 (B5) quattro - BTCC winner in 1996) used this Torsen system.
After the Audi A4 (B5) the newer cars do not use the Torsen system anymore.

Mahjik
04-08-2015, 15:18

Because the Audi A1 quattro, also uses the quattro system (4WD), and does NOT have this icon.

Technically, it's to simulate Audi's torque vectoring/split. I'm do not believe the other cars you mention have this type of implementation (and not all Quattros do as it's not the basis of Quattro). Basically what KERS is being used for is to simulate the front torque while the engine drives the rear torque.

OppaErich
04-08-2015, 16:08
Technically, it's to simulate Audi's torque vectoring/split. I'm do not believe the other cars you mention have this type of implementation (and not all Quattros do as it's not the basis of Quattro). Basically what KERS is being used for is to simulate the front torque while the engine drives the rear torque.

Oooh, let's talk about code reuse. Smart move :cool:

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
04-08-2015, 16:31

Because of this I would call it a bug.

Also note, that the Audi R8 V10 does nto use the same quattro system as the IMSA GTO.
The IMSA GTO used the "Torsen" (torques sensitive) system that was used in the legendary Audi S1 Ralyl car, and also the Audi A4 (B5) quattro - BTCC winner in 1996) used this Torsen system.
After the Audi A4 (B5) the newer cars do not use the Torsen system anymore.Not all AWD cars in-game use the KERS system to help with the simulation. Most of the AWD cars in-game are running on a normal 3-differential system. The KERS system is only used to help simulate the variable front:rear torque distribution on some of the cars, which basically means the R8 V10+ and the 90 IMSA GTO right now. The system could theoretically also be used to simulate a Haldex style system as well, where the car is FWD but can sometimes move torque to the rear as well, making it applicable to the A45 and A1 as well, but they didn't go for it, possibly due to lack of time to implement and test it out properly. So the A45 and A1 are modeled as a normal AWD system with a "regular" center differential that gives a 50:50 front:rear split, as is the Lancer Evolution (contrary to popular belief, the LanEvo doesn't have torque biasing in the center diff, it's a 50:50 diff, but it does have active locking). Even the R8 V10+ debuted like this during development, before the torque biasing system was developed (the difference was very obvious when it came).

So AWD cars that feature active torque biasing between front and rear in-game: Audi R8 V10+, Audi 90 IMSA GTO

AWD cars that have a more normal 50:50 center differential in-game: Audi A1 quattro, Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X FQ-400

It might not be totally accurate to simulate the A1 and A45 without a Haldex style solution, but that's how they are simulated currently. There's always the hope that they'll include that system later on in an update.

NemethR
05-08-2015, 07:18

And what about, the EVO X, Mercedes A45, and the A1 quattro?
They also drive the front wheels too :)

Nevermind, the post by Jussi just answered that.

Thanks Jussi!

So AWD cars that feature active torque biasing between front and rear in-game: Audi R8 V10+, Audi 90 IMSA GTO
AWD cars that have a more normal 50:50 center differential in-game: Audi A1 quattro, Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X FQ-400

It might not be totally accurate to simulate the A1 and A45 without a Haldex style solution, but that's how they are simulated currently. There's always the hope that they'll include that system later on in an update.

And can't they just script out the KERS icon? :)
It does not bother me, at all, but its a bit misleading. (I have been wondering too, what that might be)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
05-08-2015, 11:20
And can't they just script out the KERS icon? :)
It does not bother me, at all, but its a bit misleading. (I have been wondering too, what that might be)Apparently not so easily with the way their UI is coded, or else they would have done it. Since it's only a small visual thing it's not very high on the list either. =)

NemethR
05-08-2015, 12:57
Apparently not so easily with the way their UI is coded, or else they would have done it. Since it's only a small visual thing it's not very high on the list either. =)

I can understand that, but in the end all those small things will add up :)
Thing is, there are a lot of smaller things that should be fixed.