PDA

View Full Version : SMS formula rookie too grippy?

Captainwarez
04-08-2015, 16:20
Hi all, did a 10 lap race at willow springs and really found it easy to control the car. As this car is a formula trainer With very little downforce I feel that the car is too grippy with hardly any oversteer? The back end hardly ever comes out. I am using a wheel and have ALL assists off and damage and tire wear set to realistic. I'd like to know people's opinions on this car, do you think the car is accurate? Should it really have this much grip?
It's really fun to drive but I just don't think there's any challenge? Maybe I'm overestimating how grippy slicks are? Maybe a need to do longer races or increase tire wear? What do you guys think?

-lee.

PTG Baby Cow
04-08-2015, 17:15
Formula rookie aka formula first/ formula vee's have between 40-100 hp. What exactly sms based this car on I am unsure. The cars run 1200cc to 1600cc motors. So yes there should be tons of grip, even though the tires are fairly thin they are still full racing slicks in a low hp vehicle that weighs less than 1200 lbs.

PTG Baby Cow
04-08-2015, 17:19
heres a comparison of formula vee and formula first which i would believe would be the formula rookies.

http://formula-first.org/Historical/FCM_Press_release.pdf

miagi
04-08-2015, 17:32
... with hardly any oversteer?
As far as I remeber tune the setup just a little and you'll get oversteer. However oversteer in a low power car like that is the last thing you want! Every tiny bit over oversteer is time lost. This car is very light and has solid slick tires. It is a open wheeler for junior racers, and you have to learn a lot to get everything out of the car, because on a car like that, the tinyest incorrections means 1 or even several tenth lost.

Mahjik
04-08-2015, 17:32
It's closer to Formula Ford (pre-2012) than Formula Vee. They are pretty close, but IIRC, the Formula Ford engine requirements were different (i.e. IIRC it had to be a specific Ford engine where as Formula Vee could be any VW with the proper displacement).

Either way, they are light low powered cars with a fairly wide track given their size. This makes them very stable without aero (and the low power makes them very grippy). Also, they do encourage some sliding into the corners so if you aren't sliding it a little, then you aren't going fast enough. ;)

PTG Baby Cow
04-08-2015, 19:23
Mahjik, you may be correct, I was under the impression that all formula ford had aero so they would be closer ranked to the formula gulf, but from looking into it you could be right. Formula ford has a required motor and formula vee doesnt just has specifications that it has to be within. Similar to formula first which allows a wider variety of engines and bigger as well as disk brakes etc. Not at the game at the moment so i cant look at the stats of the car. im sure we could get a closer idea of what they are based off of just by looking at the hp rating.

formula vee 55ish
formula first 80ish
formula ford 115 - 205 hp depending on year

Mahjik
04-08-2015, 19:35
For those who aren't sure what we are talking about, here's a Mygale chassis Formula Ford:

http://kartsportnews.com/OLD-site/content/2010/mygale-formula-ford.jpg

Captainwarez
04-08-2015, 19:58
Very interesting stuff thanks guys. Now regarding slick tire wear, roughly how many laps will the slicks last. Have sms programmed the tires to last a set amount of laps or does it really depend on how hard you drive the car?

PTG Baby Cow
04-08-2015, 20:02
after having a quick look at the body id say they are formula fords.

Mahjik
04-08-2015, 20:13
Very interesting stuff thanks guys. Now regarding slick tire wear, roughly how many laps will the slicks last. Have sms programmed the tires to last a set amount of laps or does it really depend on how hard you drive the car?

It's based on wear, so driving style will determine how well/long they last. Those types of races in real life aren't that long, typically 20-30 minutes. Not really enough to do much damage to tires. I would wager that the racers who are not ultra competitive (i.e. new slicks each race weekend) use the same tires for 2-3 race weekends if not more.