PDA

View Full Version : Differences between PC and Console versions - Take 2 ...

Photonmonkey
04-08-2015, 16:35
Well I don't know how to title this one, after having my previous thread locked due to arguments between Console and PC folk and in the end nobody answered my question fully!

I was trying to ask (civilly) if there were any game differences, other than the obvious graphical ones between the PC version of the game and the Console one. So before another war breaks out I will be more specific. I had seen before release vids of laps on I think it was Bathurst where there was no rain but there was a very wet track. I am trying to establish if a realistically drying track is possible in the game on PS4 when the weather settings and time are set to real time or is this not implemented and if not is it only in the PC version or did it just not make it to the retail version regardless of format, as whenever I have the weather set from rain to clear the track dries in seconds?

This then made me wonder if there were any other differences between the versions other than not having the ability to create your own liveries in console and I believe some slider differences and maybe the sync to race option?

KK78
04-08-2015, 16:39
Tracks dry out pretty realistically on the PS4 but then I've not seen it on a PC so it may well be better.

Photonmonkey
04-08-2015, 16:53
Hallelujah :) can I ask what settings result in a realistically drying track as I wanted to experience a drying track in 'real' time in practice mode. I believe the weather slots (after reading through a lot of threads) last about 60 minutes, is this correct, so if I have weather and time set to 'real time' and say 2 weather slots of rain to clear will I get the desired result? Thanks

Mr Akina
04-08-2015, 17:24
Tracks dry out pretty realistically on the PS4 but then I've not seen it on a PC so it may well be better.

So you get a dry line on the PS4?

Mahjik
04-08-2015, 17:36
Hallelujah :) can I ask what settings result in a realistically drying track as I wanted to experience a drying track in 'real' time in practice mode. I believe the weather slots (after reading through a lot of threads) last about 60 minutes, is this correct, so if I have weather and time set to 'real time' and say 2 weather slots of rain to clear will I get the desired result? Thanks

It should with a 1.5-2 hour session.

TrevorAustin
04-08-2015, 19:14
From what I've seen on PC the track is wet for a very short time after the rain stops, no obvious dry line like you see on real races although there may be a mechanical one. I have seen several requests for that but no idea if it's happening, can't see that being any harder or easier to implement on either platform.

From all the posts I've seen the only real differences between the two are potential framerates are almost unlimited on PC with enough power, but personally over 60 on a monitor and I can't see it, and the overall top end quality of the graphics, but I think you would need a PC that cost at least twice the PS4 to start to realise that.

Loading on PC is quicker but that's probably the SSD as mentioned previously and I think the granularity of some of the settings is much finer on PC, don't really know why though, can't see why it isn't the same.

The other thing on PC is the add ons like, simvibe, telemetry apps, every available wheel on the market including the VERY high end ones, etc. But if you just want a good, on TV or monitor gaming/sim experience without spending a lot more money and even more time on all the extras then I don't think there is much difference.

Rockefelluh
04-08-2015, 19:28
I can only speak for Xbox 1. Leaderboard filtering is has extremely fewer options. GT, open wheel, Road, etc. So Formula A always tops openwheel, GT1x tops GT, etc. Can't filter friends only at the moment. Can't filter by single cars.

Can't talk to race engineer about tuning, 16 player MP. No driver rankings online (I think that's on PC?). I know I am forgetting some other stuff.

TrevorAustin
04-08-2015, 19:33
I can only speak for Xbox 1. Leaderboard filtering is has extremely fewer options. GT, open wheel, Road, etc. So Formula A always tops openwheel, GT1x tops GT, etc. Can't filter friends only at the moment. Can't filter by single cars.

Can't talk to race engineer about tuning, 16 player MP. No driver rankings online (I think that's on PC?). I know I am forgetting some other stuff.

The race engineer is not restricted to XBOX, he does very little for any platform and will never discuss tuning, this thread is asking for differences between the platforms, not features that people would like or bugs, don't think there are driver rankings anywhere either:)

J4M35_R
04-08-2015, 19:38
So you get a dry line on the PS4?

I think the track dries too quickly, most of the time within 2 laps. There isn't a dry line on a wet track from what I've seen and I've tried various weather slots.

Mr Akina
04-08-2015, 23:41
I think the track dries too quickly, most of the time within 2 laps. There isn't a dry line on a wet track from what I've seen and I've tried various weather slots.
That's why I've always found on the Xbox too, I thought we were missing out on "realistic" track drying, I'm glad it's as unrealistic on all platforms lol

CHEN255
05-08-2015, 00:38
Larger car grids at Le Mans offline, 56 vs 45 on console I think. Personally it doesn't bother me, 45 is absolutely plenty.
32?players online PC vs 16 online consoles.

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 05:11
Thanks all for your input, so there is no realistic track drying on any version and it sounds like the core parts of the game are pretty much the same across the platforms. I wonder why they didn't implement realistic track drying, I find that takes away a big part of the beauty of truly 'dynamic' weather, on a similar note, when you have say light rain selected does the track actually become more saturated over time or is there a static amount of surface water?

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 07:14
Thanks all for your input, so there is no realistic track drying on any version and it sounds like the core parts of the game are pretty much the same across the platforms. I wonder why they didn't implement realistic track drying, I find that takes away a big part of the beauty of truly 'dynamic' weather, on a similar note, when you have say light rain selected does the track actually become more saturated over time or is there a static amount of surface water?

Agreed, not an important thing, imo, but it would definitely be nice.

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 07:44
I think it is important if you are looking at a serious sim, I mean take F1 IRL when you get heavy rain and then clearing conditions the transition from wet to dry is a strategic nightmare, but one that makes for exciting racing when a dry line appears and then you have the difficult decisions of when it's safe to switch to slicks etc. I just think this adds a whole new element to the game and would be nice to see if possible. (As I have said before maybe it just cannot be implemented in a realistic enough way that SMS would be happy with) just asking the question? :)

Yorkie065
05-08-2015, 08:29
Realistic track drying is in, it's just if you're doing career races, your not going to see it. Reason being in the career itself, it seems the weather is pre-set for each event and the weather acceleration is set to complete whatever cycle of conditions it has, within the length of time it takes to complete the race. For instance if you had a 10 lap race, and the career has set fog > rain > clear conditions, it will do all 3 within those 10 laps.

However in quick race weekend or free practice, you can choose the speed at which the weather will change. Each weather slot will last approximately 1 hour. Therefore in order to see two weather slots (i.e. for the drying line you are looking for, so going from rain to clear) you need to do a 2 hour race with the weather acceleration on 1x speed or real. The point at which it will start to transition from one weather slot to another I believe is random, as is the transition duration. The best way to test it would be to set up a practice session that lasts 90mins with 2 weather slots, rain going to clear, and put on some AI. Hopefully, the rain will stop at some point through the session but the track should still be wet, and yourself and the AI driving around should start to form a drier line around the circuit as the track dries up.

I've done races where it has gone from wet to dry and you can see the difference in grip and the track drying. It's localised too so most of the track could dry quickly but there could still be one part of the track that is still wet. However in that session, the acceleration was still a little too quick to see a proper drying line forming visually. This should be on all platforms! Hope this helps :)

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 08:42
Realistic track drying is in, it's just if you're doing career races, your not going to see it. Reason being in the career itself, it seems the weather is pre-set for each event and the weather acceleration is set to complete whatever cycle of conditions it has, within the length of time it takes to complete the race. For instance if you had a 10 lap race, and the career has set fog > rain > clear conditions, it will do all 3 within those 10 laps.

However in quick race weekend or free practice, you can choose the speed at which the weather will change. Each weather slot will last approximately 1 hour. Therefore in order to see two weather slots (i.e. for the drying line you are looking for, so going from rain to clear) you need to do a 2 hour race with the weather acceleration on 1x speed or real. The point at which it will start to transition from one weather slot to another I believe is random, as is the transition duration. The best way to test it would be to set up a practice session that lasts 90mins with 2 weather slots, rain going to clear, and put on some AI. Hopefully, the rain will stop at some point through the session but the track should still be wet, and yourself and the AI driving around should start to form a drier line around the circuit as the track dries up.

I've done races where it has gone from wet to dry and you can see the difference in grip and the track drying. It's localised too so most of the track could dry quickly but there could still be one part of the track that is still wet. However in that session, the acceleration was still a little too quick to see a proper drying line forming visually. This should be on all platforms! Hope this helps :)

That makes sense, I'll try that tonight, weather at two times should still see an obvious transition. 5* maybe too fast.

Fanapryde
05-08-2015, 08:44
Setting increments are not as precise on console.
Headlights of the cars behind (and also scenery) disappear very quickly in the rear view mirror on console, as opposed to the PC version.

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 08:50
Setting increments are not as precise on console.
Headlights of the cars behind (and also scenery) disappear very quickly in the rear view mirror on console, as opposed to the PC version.

Nope, exactly the same (headlights) in the pc, your car can be flooded with light from the car behind you but at best its a silhouette without any headlights.

Fanatest
05-08-2015, 08:56
PC allows for pro camera placement configurations which give incredible realism to the users.

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 08:56

Many thanks for the response, I was hoping this was modelled but from everything I had read it didn't appear to be, I will try this evening and see what happens, it does make sense regarding the accelerated races in career. I am living PCARS and with the upcoming patch 3.0 things can only get better :)

I was going to edit my response as loving got auto corrected to living but hell I AM 'living' PCARS so no change needed ;)

rams1de
05-08-2015, 09:11
If you're into tuning your car or driver inputs, you can get access to telemetry data on pc which can be reviewed in third party apps.

Trying to analyse telemetry on a console is an almighty chew and the GUI gives buggy and redundant data which further limits it's usefulness.

Fanapryde
05-08-2015, 09:18
Nope, exactly the same (headlights) in the pc, your car can be flooded with light from the car behind you but at best its a silhouette without any headlights.

Check this (after some 1,5 minutes).
This is totally different than what I get on console.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Di_0oJip-Dk

I don't even see the headlights when they close in fast... which does not help when running multi class and driving in a slower car...

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 15:32
Check this (after some 1,5 minutes).
This is totally different than what I get on console.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Di_0oJip-Dk

I don't even see the headlights when they close in fast... which does not help when running multi class and driving in a slower car...

Maybe console is even worse, but it's not good on PC that's for sure:) Definitely NOT a format selling point.

J4M35_R
05-08-2015, 17:25

Just done a long race with 2 weather slots wet to dry and real time. As the rain was stopping the puddles disappeared and a couple of laps later the reflections vanished leaving a dry track.

No drying race line at all. (ps4)

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 17:35
Just done a long race with 2 weather slots wet to dry and real time. As the rain was stopping the puddles disappeared and a couple of laps later the reflections vanished leaving a dry track.

I can't test on PC, forgot about the bug that now crashes the game with any sort of rain using latest nvidia and DK2, damn. Doesn't go past the loading screen.

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 18:19

Thanks, beat me to the test, so it doesn't work! Is this a bug then? I wish a dev would step in and actually answer this once and for all!

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 18:20
I take it you had the weather and time on 'real time'?

J4M35_R
05-08-2015, 18:49
I take it you had the weather and time on 'real time'?

Yes it was.

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 19:02
Hmm, if that's the case then I don't know what to say, some people saying it works and the majority like yourself proving otherwise :(

Mahjik
05-08-2015, 19:38
The "drying line" is not as predominant as some other racing titles make it out to be... With that, you may be looking for something that isn't designed to happen to the extent you are expecting.

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 19:50
The "drying line" is not as predominant as some other racing titles make it out to be... With that, you may be looking for something that isn't designed to happen to the extent you are expecting.

Aren't people expecting to see a drying line appearing exactly as they do watching TV, especially with the AI sticking so rigidly to the race line defined for them, that should make it even more pronounced.

Fanapryde
05-08-2015, 20:11
Maybe console is even worse, but it's not good on PC that's for sure:) Definitely NOT a format selling point.
You bet it is worse. I would be very happy to see it like in the video... !

Yorkie065
05-08-2015, 20:59
Thanks, beat me to the test, so it doesn't work! Is this a bug then? I wish a dev would step in and actually answer this once and for all!

I'm not sure if it is a bug or not. I think the weather could be a little out of whack and not working as intended. What I said in the previous post is how it should have worked and how it did back in development, if it's changed im not sure but the weather isn't quite right. I've see the track start glossing up before I start seeing rain drops on the windscreen, and likewise when it goes from wet to dry. I start to see it dry before the rain on the windscreen stops so something is out of sync there. I think however that the wet track itself is directly linked to the wet weather so as the rain stops, so does the wet track rather than there being a delay after the rain stops and then the track starting to dry.

Photonmonkey
05-08-2015, 21:54
It's not even so much the actual drying line it's the fact that the track dries so quickly visually overall which is outside the realms of reality.

Mahjik
06-08-2015, 02:22
It's not even so much the actual drying line it's the fact that the track dries so quickly visually overall which is outside the realms of reality.

We already know that is going to happen in career events due to time acceleration. The larger question is the behavior using Quick Race without time acceleration. SMS have commented already that there is an issue with the weather option for "Sync To Race" that was found testing rain tire performance.

Yorkie065
06-08-2015, 07:23
We already know that is going to happen in career events due to time acceleration. The larger question is the behavior using Quick Race without time acceleration. SMS have commented already that there is an issue with the weather option for "Sync To Race" that was found testing rain tire performance.

Yeh I'm not sure if the quick race with the standard 1x weather/ time acceleration is 100% correct either. It could be, or there could be limitations in the engine that force it to the way it works currently. But at the moment I've seen the track start to get wet before I see raindrops on the windscreen and the track also start to dry before the rain actually stops. I think the track is directly tied to the weather, and not separate from it and responding to the conditions. It makes sense for conditions that don't change or change much, but when going from wet to dry or dry to wet, it doesn't seem quite right.