PDA

View Full Version : Buttkicker Gamer 2 Questions

tonypbeck
05-08-2015, 09:27
Simple question: does it matter if the device is attached on a vertical pole or a horizontal one as with the seating i'm using I will only be able to have a horizontal pole underneath?

jason
05-08-2015, 09:37
That will fine bud , that will make the piston position in a vertical position as it is suppose to be .

tonypbeck
05-08-2015, 09:41
If I attach it to a horizontal bar the piston will be facing left/right

jason
05-08-2015, 10:01
It's not the best position for it to be in ... Sorry miss understood . I have seen it done before on rigs but in the manual it does state that the piston should be vertical ...

It may well be ok but if you hear it hitting the housing stop using it in the position . They pretty robust inside as I have pulled mine apart before . Give it a go , just don't crank it up to far on the amp.

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 10:10
Simple question: does it matter if the device is attached on a vertical pole or a horizontal one as with the seating i'm using I will only be able to have a horizontal pole underneath?

It is supposed to make a big difference. People are going as far as drilling holes onto horizontal mounts and using nuts/bolts and a deep socket to create a horizontal mounting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfyReG6BIVk

Mahjik
05-08-2015, 13:44
It will work but as mentioned, the device is designed to be vertical. If you take a look at my rig photos in the following link, I have one mounted in that fashion (as I didn't have the space to do it otherwise):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21949-The-big-Show-your-race-rig-setup-topic&p=1066188&viewfull=1#post1066188

tonypbeck
07-08-2015, 07:15
It will work but as mentioned, the device is designed to be vertical. If you take a look at my rig photos in the following link, I have one mounted in that fashion (as I didn't have the space to do it otherwise):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21949-The-big-Show-your-race-rig-setup-topic&p=1066188&viewfull=1#post1066188

Thats an awesome setup, is the the turbo fan at the back :)

tonypbeck
07-08-2015, 07:18
This might be a stupid question but science was not my strong point at school.

All setups i've seen have been attached to metal, the seating i'm using has a wooden frame, will that still be effective?

Slowsley
07-08-2015, 07:45
I think so. I've seen it before. Could be better, who knows.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 08:16
This might be a stupid question but science was not my strong point at school.

All setups i've seen have been attached to metal, the seating i'm using has a wooden frame, will that still be effective?

Screw a socket form a socket set to your frame and attach to that.

justonce68
07-08-2015, 08:46
mines mounted horizontally and it works fine

MAARTEN
07-08-2015, 08:50
Borrowing this thread for a question if that's ok. Does anybody know where to get hold of a Buttkicker Gamer 2? They're all out of stock at http://www.buttkickergear.com and searched the web for somebody else that sells them but with no luck.

ctd
07-08-2015, 08:57
Borrowing this thread for a question if that's ok. Does anybody know where to get hold of a Buttkicker Gamer 2? They're all out of stock at http://www.buttkickergear.com and searched the web for somebody else that sells them but with no luck.

Try here: http://www.trumslagaren.se/buttkicker-gamer-set-2/867-0

MysterG
07-08-2015, 09:07
Merged

justonce68
07-08-2015, 09:08
Got mine here

http://www.simw.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=buttkicker

MAARTEN
07-08-2015, 10:28
Forgot to mention it is for a Playseat so i prefer the Playseat edition. With that you get the mounting for the Playseat and some cushions to put under the seat against the floor.
But i believe i can sort the mounting out anyway with the standard version so thank you guys for the links :)

tonypbeck
07-08-2015, 11:03
Screw a socket form a socket set to your frame and attach to that.

That's a really good idea :)

MAARTEN
07-08-2015, 11:04
That's what i had in mind :)

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 11:15
That's a really good idea :)

Not mine:) but seen it on youtube a few times.

ctd
07-08-2015, 11:27
This is how I did.

Bought a "hylsnyckel" (sry, can't the correct English Word for it) from Biltema and a bolt in suitible size. Mounted it on the rear bar on my Playset. Don't need to do anything more DIY than that.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 11:52
This is how I did.

Bought a "hylsnyckel" (sry, can't the correct English Word for it) from Biltema and a bolt in suitible size. Mounted it on the rear bar on my Playset. Don't need to do anything more DIY than that.

That's a socket in english:)

Mascot
07-08-2015, 13:07
I've a question: my BK2 clips like hell - any settings on the amp to eradicate this?

MAARTEN
07-08-2015, 13:09
This is how I did.

Bought a "hylsnyckel" (sry, can't the correct English Word for it)

Lol, i know what you mean by "hylsnyckel" :D but as TrevorAustin said earlier its called socket in english :)

Mahjik
07-08-2015, 14:47
Thats an awesome setup, is the the turbo fan at the back :)

Unfortunately the ButtKicker Gamers are not the best transducers. They don't handle extended sessions too well and will overheat. The good thing is that the ButtKicker Gamer2 will shut them down when they get too hot so they don't burn up (a problem with the BKG1). Have the fan at a slight angle so it cools the rear BKG2, the amps in the front as well as some air to the front BKG2. Works great at keeping the components cool and not tripping the shutdown.

tonypbeck
10-08-2015, 11:07
Unfortunately the ButtKicker Gamers are not the best transducers. They don't handle extended sessions too well and will overheat. The good thing is that the ButtKicker Gamer2 will shut them down when they get too hot so they don't burn up (a problem with the BKG1). Have the fan at a slight angle so it cools the rear BKG2, the amps in the front as well as some air to the front BKG2. Works great at keeping the components cool and not tripping the shutdown.

What would you consider to be better if you had a choice?

TrevorAustin
10-08-2015, 11:12

I use the reckhorn 200s for hours with no issues, and a separate large audio amp. But no idea how you would, or even if you could, use them with a console.

tonypbeck
10-08-2015, 13:42
I've seen a Buttkicker Simulation Kit but haven't found anywhere in the UK that stock it.

TrevorAustin
10-08-2015, 14:13
I've seen a Buttkicker Simulation Kit but haven't found anywhere in the UK that stock it.

Have you tried the shakercentre. They are very helpful and can order stuff in. I got my reckhorns from there.

tonypbeck
10-08-2015, 14:14
Have you tried the shakercentre. They are very helpful and can order stuff in. I got my reckhorns from there.

I will give them a try, thank you

Mahjik
10-08-2015, 16:13

Don't get me wrong... What the BKG2 provides is "everything you need" right out of the box. You don't have to find the right amp, get the right cables, etc.. You open everything up and just plug it in. Having said that, just about any transducer you can find on the market will be better than the BKG2. However again, you have to deal with mounting and such.. If you are handy with tools, it's not a problem and going custom will be the best outcome. For those who aren't handy with tools, the "out of the box" option is good as long as they have done their research. ;)

Some other options:

http://www.bassshakers.com/compare-bass-shakers/#.VcjM5flVhBc

Fanapryde
16-11-2015, 22:44
Unfortunately the ButtKicker Gamers are not the best transducers. They don't handle extended sessions too well and will overheat. The good thing is that the ButtKicker Gamer2 will shut them down when they get too hot

I hope this guy knows what he is doing then ?

He says it works great and he is going to buy a second one for the back rest.

Mahjik
17-11-2015, 00:23
He says it works great and he is going to buy a second one for the back rest.

What you don't know, you don't know.... ;)

If he had that attached to something more rigid, like a seat post, I'll bet he'd notice a bigger (better) difference.

Fanapryde
21-11-2015, 08:18
Right, I received my Buttkicker Gamer 2 and installed it (like it is supposed to).

I have a Logitech Z906 5.1 plugged in via optical.
When I plug the BK in the subwoofer port, it does nothing at all.
After reading that soundcards mostly can drive only one set, I unplugged the optical to check: nope, does not do anything.
Tried the BK in the audio out from the Logitech command module: it starts humming and vibrating (harder when I turn hte volume on the BK amp up. But it does not react to anything, not in PCars, not when playing music.

Do I need to add a second sound card to drive the BK ?
Other ideas ?
Any help would be appreciated ... :yes:

Fanapryde
28-11-2015, 23:16
So, I'm not the only one who does not have a clue :confused:

Slowsley
29-11-2015, 06:52
Are you using it with simvibe? I've only used it on PC that way. I don't know that much about computers, but I got mine working, so I'll try to help.

Fanapryde
29-11-2015, 07:57
Are you using it with simvibe? I've only used it on PC that way. I don't know that much about computers, but I got mine working, so I'll try to help.
Thanks for thinking along !
Don't know much about computers either, but Simvibe needs a second sound card and an audio amplifier, no ?
I don't have either of them for the moment. The Buttkicker (if I read the manual well), should work without an amp...

Slowsley
29-11-2015, 08:56
Thanks for thinking along !
Don't know much about computers either, but Simvibe needs a second sound card and an audio amplifier, no ?
I don't have either of them for the moment. The Buttkicker (if I read the manual well), should work without an amp...

Correct about Simvibe. Well, you don't need 2 soundcards...I use my motherboard audio for Simvibe and my separate soundcard for actual audio.

A Buttkicker will need an amp. If you got the Gamer2 package then you have one (unless you got screwed). Didn't you mention turning up the volume? That's the amp (that your remote control is plugging into).

Slowsley
29-11-2015, 09:02
Could you post some pictures of your speakers, plugs, wires, ect.? I know your pain. It took me several months to get things going with Dirt Rally all the while others had Simvibe going the whole time.

I should say, since you're on PC, you really have to get Simvibe. Not having it is like if your wheel was using audio signals to deliver FFB as opposed to actual telemetry output. Sure, you'll get a little bit of bass frequencies when running over curbs, but it's nothing like having your suspension telemetry actually be responsible.

With just the Gamer2 and Simvibe, you can turn up just the engine vibration alone strong enough to rattle your teeth. You'll never get that using the audio frequencies.

Fanapryde
29-11-2015, 09:05
Correct about Simvibe. Well, you don't need 2 soundcards...I use my motherboard audio for Simvibe and my separate soundcard for actual audio.

A Buttkicker will need an amp. If you got the Gamer2 package then you have one (unless you got screwed). Didn't you mention turning up the volume? That's the amp (that your remote control is plugging into).

Yes, I got the BK2 amp...:D
From the Simvibe site I understood an extra audio amp was needed, did not realize the BK2 amp would also cover it.
Re-checked: in the diagram tey used four small tactile units with an adio amp as example...

Fanapryde
29-11-2015, 09:18
Could you post some pictures of your speakers, plugs, wires, ect.? I know your pain. It took me several months to get things going with Dirt Rally all the while others had Simvibe going the whole time.

I should say, since you're on PC, you really have to get Simvibe. Not having it is like if your wheel was using audio signals to deliver FFB as opposed to actual telemetry output. Sure, you'll get a little bit of bass frequencies when running over curbs, but it's nothing like having your suspension telemetry actually be responsible.

With just the Gamer2 and Simvibe, you can turn up just the engine vibration alone strong enough to rattle your teeth. You'll never get that using the audio frequencies.
I'll make some pics tomorrow, though they won't show much.
The Logitech Z906 is a compact 5.1 audio set, where the Sub acts as amplifier. The 5 sattelite speakers are connected to it, the sub by means of optical to the PC's soundcard.
It works, though not as well as when connected (also optical) to the PS4, where I did have excellent 5.1, in GT6 as well as PCars. On PC I get some kind of enhanced 2 channel stereo.

On PS3 I had a smaller Logitech Z506 (if me memory serves me). Worked the same way, but the Sub/amp was small enough to sit under my seat, which gave me a good feel over curbs and you could really feel the engine and gear changes (GT5 and 6).
While There was no way to connect this set to the PS4' I bought the Z906 (which has optical - like PS4), but sadly the sub/amp is a lot bigger and did not fit under the chair, thus losing that feeling of his smaller brother.
That's mainly the reason I opted for the Buttkicker Gamer 2.
And now it refuses to work. The guy who delivered my PC has no clue either, he is still trying things out.

Slowsley
29-11-2015, 09:27
We will get it after some back and forth. Your BK2 amp is all you need.

I'm curious as to how you're using it with optical as the BK2 uses RCA connections. Did you get an RCA to optical adapter? I used to do it that way with Xbox One.

Fanapryde
29-11-2015, 09:34
We will get it after some back and forth. Your BK2 amp is all you need.

I'm curious as to how you're using it with optical as the BK2 uses RCA connections. Did you get an RCA to optical adapter? I used to do it that way with Xbox One.
The Logitech set uses optical.
I use the included cables and Y- splitters that come with the BK2 to connect it.
Did not even think about a RCA to optical adapter. Maybe I should give that a try... Thanks.

Slowsley
29-11-2015, 09:55
Maybe try taking the speakers in out of the equation until you get it working. Can you just plug your BK2 amp into your headphone jack and try some music? I would think that you would only get bass and some distorted highs that way. It could be something as simple as you just needing to turn the amp up more. The problem with the BK2 is that you can't tell what volume it's on so you could get blown away too.

It's probably something really simple. Try to make the signal as simple as possible to see how it works. Try putting on music as switching cables around. Make sure your computer is outputting audio to the right things.

Slowsley
29-11-2015, 10:00
If you are plugging the amp into the speakers, try plugging it into audio slots behind your computer instead.

Also, I just looked and I'm not using the supplied cables to connect my amp to my computer. I'm not sure why, I just don't remember. I'm using an RCA to RCA cable and only one end is connected on both the amp and computer. I just happened to have that cable and I was just trying things until something worked.

Fanapryde
29-11-2015, 18:50
If you are plugging the amp into the speakers, try plugging it into audio slots behind your computer instead.

Also, I just looked and I'm not using the supplied cables to connect my amp to my computer. I'm not sure why, I just don't remember. I'm using an RCA to RCA cable and only one end is connected on both the amp and computer. I just happened to have that cable and I was just trying things until something worked.

I tried that too, also had a RCA spare cable lying around.

Maybe try taking the speakers in out of the equation until you get it working. Can you just plug your BK2 amp into your headphone jack and try some music? I would think that you would only get bass and some distorted highs that way. It could be something as simple as you just needing to turn the amp up more. The problem with the BK2 is that you can't tell what volume it's on so you could get blown away too.

It's probably something really simple. Try to make the signal as simple as possible to see how it works. Try putting on music as switching cables around. Make sure your computer is outputting audio to the right things.

Did that too, think I wrote it somewhere in an earlier post (maybe another topic). Plugged only the BK2 in the SW out of the sound card (tried the other ones too): nothing...
Tried it in the audio out of the command console: i got some humming and vibration.
Can't do any further testing now. Brought the PC back to my PCman for inspection, since it refused to boot (again)...
Just love PC ... :frown-new:

Fanapryde
22-12-2015, 15:14
Buttkicker is working fine now.
What I changed is connecting the Logitech Z906 by means of RCA cable (was by means of optical before) and used the splitter (which came with the Buttkicker).

What the BKG2 does is 'rattling'. It vibrates, it hums, all OK, but the rattling is probably not OK.
It is the BKG2, nothing else is loose on my rig.
I used the contact form on the Buttkicker site to ask about it, but no answer yet.

Fanapryde
22-12-2015, 15:27
Well, either there is something wrong with my BKG2, or they made changes to it.
After fiddling around a while to get it working correctly (seems an optical connection of my 5.1 surround set, was preventing the function of the BKG2), I'm using it for over a week now.
After a 5 hr intense use today, I checked it (for the first time) and guess what: it was almost cold (the BKG2 unit, the amp was warm).
So... ?

Mahjik
22-12-2015, 15:58
Well, either there is something wrong with my BKG2, or they made changes to it.

It depend on what you are vibrating. If you are vibrating a single chair, it doesn't need much power to do that and you will likely not run into heat issues. If you are using it on a sim rig, you need more power to feel the vibrations so you have to drive it harder. As long as you keep the amp from showing "RED" when it's outputting the sound, it will not overdrive the BKG2.

Fanapryde
22-12-2015, 16:08
It depend on what you are vibrating. If you are vibrating a single chair, it doesn't need much power to do that and you will likely not run into heat issues. If you are using it on a sim rig, you need more power to feel the vibrations so you have to drive it harder. As long as you keep the amp from showing "RED" when it's outputting the sound, it will not overdrive the BKG2.
I'm vibrating the whole RaceRoom 2000 rig with it. It is mounted on a vertical pole under the chair, but (probably due to the construction of the rig) I can feel it in my chair, on the wheel and shifter and even on the pedals.
I did set the amp to prevent it from clipping, that is: the red light rarely shows.
But I had your post in mind when I checked today, so I was very careful touching it at first. But no, it is almost stone cold.
It does rattle though, even when the red clipping light is not showing. I saw a video from a guy who had the same problem but fixed it himself. I want to hear from Buttkicker first before I start tinkering. The rattling is pretty loud.

Slowsley
22-12-2015, 19:19
Are you using simvibe now? I had a problem at first with rattling until I adjusted the pitch of the exhaust feedback. Getting the pitch range correct is important for good performance. Now that it's working, just be prepared to tinker for a while. It probably will/should stay cold since its metal. I would think only friction would cause heat in a transducer and that wouldn't be good.

Fanapryde
22-12-2015, 19:26
Are you using simvibe now? I had a problem at first with rattling until I adjusted the pitch of the exhaust feedback. Getting the pitch range correct is important for good performance. Now that it's working, just be prepared to tinker for a while. It probably will/should stay cold since its metal. I would think only friction would cause heat in a transducer and that wouldn't be good.
No, not yet that is.
So your BKG2 rattled too... and you got rid of that...
I tried every possible setting (not too much available on the amp though), but I keep getting the occasional rattle...
Really disturbing.

Slowsley
23-12-2015, 05:20
I would call it a rattle from what I remember. I never had mine hooked up to a PC without simvibe. Initially, it was hooked up to my XBOX One which I don't think put out enough power to rattle. I just remember that when I first hooked it up to my PC it sounded horrible. With simvibe you can adjust things like how much engine vibration that you want and at what pitch range. My problem was the pitch range was waaaay too low and once I brought it up all was fine. That's probably not your problem though I wouldn't think.

Is it being "driven" really hard when it rattles? Does the clipping light come on at those moments? Is there anything on your rig that may be the cause, or is it definitely the transducer? My button box rattles at idle with my "daytime" simvibe settings. Could the tightening knob be hitting on something? Is it locked down as tight as possible? Maybe try putting something for insulation between the mounting point and whatever it's mounted to.

At least you know that it works now which should be a big relief! Buttkicker build quality seems to be really good so hopefully your's is fine.

Fanapryde
23-12-2015, 11:10
Is it being "driven" really hard when it rattles? Does the clipping light come on at those moments? Is there anything on your rig that may be the cause, or is it definitely the transducer? My button box rattles at idle with my "daytime" simvibe settings. Could the tightening knob be hitting on something? Is it locked down as tight as possible? Maybe try putting something for insulation between the mounting point and whatever it's mounted to.

At least you know that it works now which should be a big relief! Buttkicker build quality seems to be really good so hopefully your's is fine.
Not really driven hard. The red clipping light does hardly ever show (got to check again, since it depends from the car and track used). The rattling sometimes happens when it should hardly vibrate (maybe because it is reacting on sound).
Nothing is loose, it is definitely the transducer. The tightening knob is as tight as I dare turn it and the unit is without play on the vertical pole, nothing moving there either.

This guy fixed it for himself:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/437251-have-your-buttkicker-gamer-2-started-making-a-rattling-noise-heres-how-to-permanently-fix-it-for-free/

Fanapryde
27-12-2015, 23:39
Still no answer from Buttkicker (support@guitammer.com).
Repeated my question today... :suspicion:

the_monk
02-03-2016, 21:02
Thinking of getting the BK2 for my playseat evolution & xbox1, i m abit worried as do these vibrations from the bk2 eventually damage the playseat? just got mine so i m abt paranoid :-/

sinjun
02-03-2016, 21:09
I've been running a BK on my Playseat for several years now with no ill effects to speak of.

the_monk
03-03-2016, 06:50
I've been running a BK on my Playseat for several years now with no ill effects to speak of.

Thats nice to hear :-)