PDA

View Full Version : PC Hanging

mouthpiec
05-08-2015, 17:28
Hi all,

This post is not directly related to PC, but this is one of the best technical forums I am aware of.

Last week I took the plunge to upgrade to Windows 10, but I was a bit conservative and instead of updating Win 7, I replaced the disk on which OS is running to an SSD disk on which I cleanly installed Windows 10 (samsung 850 evo).

But afterwards I noted that sometimes the PC just hangs, HD activity LED remains on (no flashing), and when I press the reset button on POST, the SSD is not found (other 2 HDs and DVD-ROM are found). If I switch off PC by turning off the power switch on the PSU and boots, it boots normally.

My question is this ... do you think this is an issue of Windows 10 (maybe a bug) or a faulty SSD drive or motherboard not compatible with SSD?

Troubleshooting done was to replace SATA cable, change SATA port on Mainboard, upgraded BIOS to latest version.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 18:20
=I think that is either (in this order)
Sata drivers
Bios
SSD
Motherboard
Ram
CPU

Top 3 much more likely than the others I think.

mouthpiec
05-08-2015, 18:50
Thanks for your input. So you dont think it is related to win10 and more related to introducing the ssd ?

What do you think if i clone the old hd with win 7 on the ssd and check if issue appears again?

Mad Al
05-08-2015, 18:55
Have you checked for firmware updates on the SSD.. ?
Also I notice you are running an older CPU, is your motherboard also getting on a bit.. just wondering if there is some incompatibility with the motherboard and SSD (I had issues with an older SSD and new MB...)

mouthpiec
05-08-2015, 21:42
Thanks AI mad. Ssd firmware is the latest. I didnt understand your comment "is your motherboard also getting on a bit".

hoodi4cars
05-08-2015, 21:49
Check your mainboard manual for how to set up a SSD. It might be that you have to choose a specific SATA port for it with a specific BIOS configuration

TrevorAustin
05-08-2015, 22:27
Thanks for your input. So you dont think it is related to win10 and more related to introducing the ssd ?

What do you think if i clone the old hd with win 7 on the ssd and check if issue appears again?

Well that would rule out win 10 if the issues persist, although are all your motherboard drivers installed and fully win 10?

mouthpiec
05-08-2015, 22:48
Mainboard manual does not mention anything regarding ssd :(

hoodi4cars
05-08-2015, 23:02
What mainboard is that?

mouthpiec
06-08-2015, 07:54
What mainboard is that?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41M-S3/

Hlspwn
06-08-2015, 08:39
Hi
looking at the specs of your mobo, I would say if there is any chance of upgrading I would think about? It only has 3.0gb Sata ports, to fully optimise the speed of the ssd that you have you need 6gb port and cable.
As already stated I would start with the bios. Check the manufacturer web site to see if there are any bios updates\ win 10 drivers.
Make sure drives are set to AHCI, make the SSD the only boot device.
There are known issues currently with windows 10, I have had to limit most applications from startup to get the desktop stable, I have also noticed that edge causes a lot of crashes.
From what you have explained, it sounds very much like a hardware\ windows 10 driver compatibility issue.

mouthpiec
06-08-2015, 08:44
thanks Hlspwn ... I am in the process of upgrading in the next couple of months. I have the latest BIOS according to website.
I will contact ASROCK to check about know compatibility issue.